• Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Its 28% of total thc content. I wish tjey would stop sayi g it that way its pure advertizing hype.

The tested thc increase best case scenario is about 4%. So if you had 20% weed it gets to 24%.

Unfortunately it does not increase cbd and we know little about other canabanoids.

In my opinion it is not only not necessary but is a bad idea unless using proper sunlight ratio and for the full grow.

Each strain has its effects from a complete recipe of canabanoids and terpenes. Its the balance of these that creates the unique effects.

So increasing thc without increasing the other components is not always desirable.

It is however desirable since higher thc brings more money. So it is part of the new industry.

But does it make better weed? Too high thc ruins weed in my opinion.

Think entourage effect.
I definitely agree the point should be how to best approximate the sun. Specifically the sun in a spot that grows good pot.

Idk how to do that, but I'm trying.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Its 28% of total thc content. I wish tjey would stop sayi g it that way its pure advertizing hype.

The tested thc increase best case scenario is about 4%. So if you had 20% weed it gets to 24%.

Unfortunately it does not increase cbd and we know little about other canabanoids.

In my opinion it is not only not necessary but is a bad idea unless using proper sunlight ratio and for the full grow.

Each strain has its effects from a complete recipe of canabanoids and terpenes. Its the balance of these that creates the unique effects.

So increasing thc without increasing the other components is not always desirable.

It is however desirable since higher thc brings more money. So it is part of the new industry.

But does it make better weed? Too high thc ruins weed in my opinion.

Think entourage effect.
I agree on the marketing but UVA and UVB affect much more than just THC.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

For discussion and reference purposes.

Blue (~450–520 nm) and UV (< 400 nm) Light
Blue and UV-A light triggers cryptochrome (320500 nm) and phototropin (phot1 and pho2; 320–500 nm) function (Jones, 2018). These two photoreceptors regulate various physiological and developmental processes including chloroplast relocation, germination, elongation, and stomatal opening, which impacts water transpiration and CO2 exchange (Cosgrove, 1981; Schwartz and Zeiger, 1984). Blue light mediates chlorophyll and chloroplast development, enzyme synthesis, and plant density, and regulates responses to biotic environmental stresses (Goins et al., 1997; Schuerger et al., 1997). Walters and Horton (1995) reported that blue light deficiency can impact the light saturation rate of photosynthesis and can change the Chl a/b ratio in Arabidopsis thaliana. Blue light causes thickness of the epidermis and palisade mesophyll cells in Betula pendula (Sæbø et al., 1995). Lee et al. (2014) concluded that shorter blue wavelengths (<445 nm) promote stem growth, plant height, and anthocyanin synthesis in green perilla (Perilla frutescens var. japonica Hara cv. Soim) plants. Cannabis plants grown under blue light with a short photoperiod (12 h light:12 h dark/flowering stage) improved cannabinoid content (Magagnini et al., 2018). This same study suggested that there is a synergy between UV-A and blue wavelengths that induces cannabigerol accumulation in cannabis flowers.

Blue light activates Zeitlupe (ZTL) family function, a group of proteins that plays a role in circadian clock regulation, wherein their light-dependent function allows modulation of internal timing signals (Kim et al., 2007). Accordingly, optimal lighting regimes for cannabis growth and production should take advantage of this temporal regulation initiated by the circadian clock and light-sensitive ZTL protein function.

Wavelengths of light that are shorter than the PAR spectrum [e.g., violet light and UV (<400 nm) radiation] have limited photosynthesis; however, discrete photomorphogenic effects are observed when UV-B (290320 nm) sensing systems are triggered (Frohnmeyer and Staiger, 2003; Folta and Carvalho, 2015). UV-B radiation is perceived via the UV-B photoreceptor UV resistance locus 8 (UVR8). Although UV-B represents a threat to plant integrity in large quantities, smaller quantities of UV-B have important benefits such as promoting pest resistance, increasing flavonoid accumulation, improving photosynthetic efficiency, and serving as an indicator of direct sunlight and sunflecks (Ballaré et al., 2012; Wargent and Jordan, 2013; Zoratti et al., 2014; Moriconi et al., 2018). Further to this, some UV-B responses can also be modulated by a UVR8-independent signal and UV-A radiation, since plants’ responses to UV-B light are regulated by both UVR8-dependent and -independent pathways (Morales et al., 2013; Li et al., 2015; Jenkins, 2017). UV-B light reportedly elicits THC accumulation in both leaves and buds (Pate, 1983; Lydon et al., 1987; Potter and Duncombe, 2012).

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I definitely agree the point should be how to best approximate the sun. Specifically the sun in a spot that grows good pot.

Idk how to do that, but I'm trying.

Well if you want to get full sciency here. Find the geographical location of your strains history and then determine the mid day suns spectrum and uv content. Has to be recorded somewhere.

So an example would be nepal at 5500 feet altitude with (making this part up) 12% of full spectrum uv and 4% is uvb. And you can copy the average temp and humidity.

But honestly i think a stable environment within the old established parameters can grow a plant to very high potential. Even with hps. (Gasp)

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
During the end phase of ripening, regular lights really don't affect overall transpiration rates, It just drops off Diminishing until the end despite what's thrown at them. I think with this light, that might change things a little in that regard. The plant's really after 3 critical things that drive growth. (not only plant growth, but fruiting growth)

A) Strain type (potential)
B) Diet (nutrients)
C) Light (quality/quanity) appropriate spectrum/strength changes thoughout growth cycle.

All metabolic parameters are ancillary to to these key forces driving plant growth. C02 is dependent upon light source and Nutrients, Pheno's and potency tied to everything including strain type. Temps/humidity/air movement all ancillary, contributing factors. H20 gas pressures, Ph, PPM all all critical factors, no doubt, but still ancillary.

These lights address key concerns during a critical stage of development.

With the advent of LED technology, It seems were on the cusp of making progress in discovering the holy grail of plant metabolism, and light quality is a big part of that, giving the plant exactly what it want, exactly when it wants it, and stressing it productively to produce the desired results.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

During the end phase of ripening, regular lights really don't affect overall transpiration rates, It just drops off Diminishing until the end despite what's thrown at them. I think with this light, that might change things a little in that regard. The plant's really after 3 critical things that drive growth.

B) Diet (nutrients)
C) Light (quality/quanity) appropriate spectrum/strength changes thoughout growth cycle.

All metabolic parameters are ancillary to to these key forces driving plant growth. C02 is dependent upon light source and Nutrients, Pheno's and potency tied to everything including strain type.

With the advent of LED technology, It seems were on the cusp of making progress in discovering the holy grail of plant metabolism, and light quality is a big part of that, giving the plant what it want, when it wants it, and stressing it productively to produce the desired results.

Actually the suns spectrum does not change just the intensity on the plants. We see more red at sundown but the plants may not.

So simply dimming or moving the light away from the plants some is all that is neccessary to keep them processing to the end harvest.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

During the end phase of ripening, regular lights really don't affect overall transpiration rates, It just drops off Diminishing until the end despite what's thrown at them. I think with this light, that might change things a little in that regard. The plant's really after 3 critical things that drive growth.

B) Diet (nutrients)

All metabolic parameters are ancillary to to these key forces driving plant growth. C02 is dependent upon light source and Nutrients, Pheno's and potency tied to everything including strain type.

With the advent of LED technology, It seems were on the cusp of making progress in discovering the holy grail of plant metabolism, and light quality is a big part of that, giving the plant what it want, when it wants it, and stressing it productively to produce the desired results.

How long does it take to see the results from the use of co2

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Actually the suns spectrum does not change just the intensity on the plants. We see more red at sundown but the plants may not.

So simply dimming or moving the light away from the plants some is all that is neccessary to keep them processing to the end harvest.
I always thought the spectrum changes by the angle as some spectrums become more filtered by the atmosphere? I could well be wrong just always what I assumed but never actually looked into it.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I always thought the spectrum changes by the angle as some spectrums become more filtered by the atmosphere? I could well be wrong just always what I assumed bit never actually looked into it.

No just some more far reds at sundown and sunset i believe. Mostly temperature is affected by the seasonal angle.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I always thought the spectrum changes by the angle as some spectrums become more filtered by the atmosphere? I could well be wrong just always what I assumed but never actually looked into it.
Screenshot 20201027 175308

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I use low in early veg and IMO my light is not as good as say a gavita that's designed for that. Inuse mine because I have a sealed room so I need it. I cant say how long but I would assume immediately if you have the right conditions to take advantage of it.

I bet your lamp is as intense as the gavita. Just the newer diodes are more efficient by a fraction.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter

Yea, I agree the sun position in the sky and the atmospheric filtering that takes place effects things during harvest. The sun has filter though a lot more atmosphere at a lower angle then it does at high noon.

That said, I think what were seeing with these lights is an intensity that's not matched by our own sun. Whatever the physiological factors at play here, it's obvious that plants benefit immensely from lower range waves during the end stage and especially during ripening. Personally, I think it's a protective mechanism of the plant producing "sun tan" lotion for itself, (aka oils) evolved over millions of years.

If we can artificially stimulate that mechanism, and can target and duplicate the suns effects in this regard, and magnify those results, it' might be overall stressful for the plants, but the end result should be phenomenal.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yea, I agree the sun position in the sky and the atmospheric filtering that takes place effects things during harvest. The sun has filter though a lot more atmosphere at a lower angle then it does at high noon.

That said, I think what were seeing with these lights is an intensity that's not matched by our own sun. Whatever the physiological factors at play here, it's obvious that plants benefit immensely from lower range waves during the end stage and especially during ripening. Personally, I think it's a protective mechanism of the plant producing "sun tan" lotion for itself, (aka oils) evolved over millions of years.

If we can artificially stimulate that mechanism, and can target and duplicate the suns effects in this regard, and magnify those results, it' might be overall stressful for the plants, but the end result should be phenomenal.

Thats exacrly what the added uvb is for. To stimulate the plant to produce more trichome thc oil. Thats the sunscreen.

What puzzles me is we can increase thc with a couple weeks only at the end of uvb but it does not increase from the sun for harvest. If anything like you said its less intense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom