• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm not gonna use this during stretch lol. I think with a heavy indica a micro dose at 2 weeks then not again until after stretch.
Not a bad plan, its most effective during the bud development phase after stretch, before ripening. About weeks 3-7 of flower. Ill usually start dosing in stretch because it also helps develop more budsites despite the internodal growth.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Not a bad plan, its most effective during the bud development phase after stretch, before ripening. About weeks 3-7 of flower. Ill usually start dosing in stretch because it also helps develop more budsites despite the internodal growth.
Guess I could try a negative diff and dose it to combat the stretch a bit.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Feesing bumped to 2 times per day. 15 sec per event.

This system is so dam grower friendly. I dont have to water, I don't have to get rid of runoff, I don't have to empty the dehumidifier... just mix a batch of nutes here and there and after one res I have that figured and takes me like 5-10 min to fill and mix.

I think coco in this system is about as easy as it gets. If inadded a dosing system and top offs i feel like I could plant, prune and harvest and thats it.

So unbelievably impressed with it. Thanks @Dirtbag and @cemchris For pushing me and my rubber arm here.

I still feel doing organic in this setup will be easy also.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Because it's a stress response and given time to adapt to the stress its... well longer stressful

Exactly, taking something to the extreme it can be taken too, much like sunlight and CO2. Surely there is a transitional period, followed by an optimum tolerance to the spectrum, much like we would expect from ppfd, although I don't know if that term applies with these waves, it should.

Anyhow, my guess is that if done early, and given time to illicit a protective response it can be taken to a much higher level of intensity than what the plant would experience in a natural setting.

Went out to get an ebay card but couldn't find one, but I'm going to get these for sure. I'm thinking 1 4 footer for each grow area, or should I do 2 bulbs each? Is there anyplace much cheaper than the rest?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
More food for thought on UBA UVB. I will also post the red for those interested.

Cannabinoids
Cannabinoids are synthesized in secretory cells inside glandular trichomes, which are highly concentrated in unfertilized female flowers before senescence (Potter, 2004, 2009). Shoyama et al. (2008) found that cell death was induced when cannabis leaves secrete cannabinoids from glandular trichomes into leaf tissue. Lydon et al. (1987) reported increased THC concentrations when cannabis plants were grown with supplemental UV-B radiation, suggesting that cannabinoids may play some role in UV protection. Limited published research exists on the role of cannabinoids in cannabis plants.

Flavonoids
Flavonoids are sensitive to light quality, and flavonoid concentrations in plants are higher when grown under UV, blue, and FR light treatment (Fu et al., 2016; Pedroso et al., 2017; Liu et al., 2018). The two-ring, 15-carbon, general structure of flavonoids makes this group structurally and functionally diverse. Flavonoids comprise many classes (flavonols, flavones, flavanones, anthocyanins, and isoflavonoids) that are defined by various accessory groups attached to the central 15-carbon skeleton (Iwashina, 2000). This allows for their important roles as pollinator and feeding attractants, oviposition stimulants, and feeding deterrents, as well as in plant disease resistance and managing light stress (Hamamura et al., 1962; Ingham, 1972; Arakawa et al., 1985; Noh and Spalding, 1998; Nishida, 2005; Goff and Klee, 2006). Optimal lighting systems for cannabis growth and production must include an optimal light spectrum for flavonoid production. UV, blue, and FR are beneficial wavelengths that should be given greater consideration.

Bingo! I was thinking about this while taking a shower after reading this thread. The added spectrum actually functions like "added synthesis" capacity during a critical stage, for specific biochemical bonds, so it's essentially a tool box for manipulating cellular functions. MORE and BIGGER things are possible, depending on the strains that are likely used with this type of technique. It's really allowing the genetics to literally "shine though" so to speak.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
See we dont need to and infact it would not be beneficial IMO. its no longer or at least less of a stress if the plant adapts during veg. Just my thinking

Yes, I agree, if it doesn't have a stunting effect, side by sides need to be done, I think, so some conclusions can be drawn.

TBH, I think possibly intensity will come into play regarding trying something like this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Bingo! I was thinking about this while taking a shower after reading this thread. The added spectrum actually functions like "added synthesis" capacity during a critical stage, for specific biochemical bonds, so it's essentially a tool box for manipulating cellular functions. MORE and BIGGER things are possible, depending on the strains that are likely used with this type of technique. It's really allowing the genetics to literally "shine though" so to speak.
Yeah I see it like they are a puzzle and all must be incorporated to reap the full benefits from the genetics

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Intensity is the biggest drop off for sure. We get down to like 15-20000 Lux outdoors here in October.

living along the 49 parallel as I do.

This is very solid and good information leading me to believe that I want to harvest shortly after the summer equinox, perhaps anywhere from July1 to around July 15, these are my goals for the spring, then bring in something every month after with the f1's that remain. or didn't have the "auto" genes.

But hitting those autos with 16->18hrs of solid sunshine, mild temps and low humidity is going to be BIG.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Yes and I think far red, with its demonstrated function with phytochrome at a minimum, could very well matter a lot. More of that trigger seems like it's at least a good candidate to mean something. And we see more of it in the tropics, where great pot grows. Which seems like it might mean something. Am I crazy?

Anyway I'm ordering another set of supplemental far red bars for my haze grow because it's a hypothesis with little downside and reasonable cost to play around with so why the hell not.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes and I think far red, with its demonstrated function with phytochrome at a minimum, could very well matter a lot. More of that trigger seems like it's at least a good candidate to mean something. And we see more of it in the tropics, where great pot grows. Which seems like it might mean something. Am I crazy?

Anyway I'm ordering another set of supplemental far red bars for my haze grow because it's a hypothesis with little downside and reasonable cost to play around with so why the hell not.
All I know is the flood gates of data are going to start pouring in. If you ask me the future is going to be synthetic cannabinoids.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

See we dont need to and infact it would not be beneficial IMO. its no longer or at least less of a stress if the plant adapts during veg. Just my thinking

Always same results posted whether uvb run full cycle or last 2 weeks. For thc anyway. But if there are other processes like in your link then maybe they should be hardened off to it as a seedling?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Always same results posted whether uvb run full cycle or last 2 weeks. For thc anyway. But if there are other processes like in your link then maybe they should be hardened off to it as a seedling?
I guess what we are really talking about is evoking the part of the genotype that responds to these environmental conditions as the organism grows, right? In other words, getting the phenotype with the full "benefits" of UV exposure.

To our eyes, these benefits are related to the consumption of the resin and flowers, right?

I am open to the hypothesis that the plant waits to make too many decisions about the environmental triggers affecting the phenotypical expression of anything related to that part of the plant before it has reached the level where it's done growing at a minimum. The environment at flower level would just be different at that point.

I am also open to the hypothesis that it makes a decision before that. I don't know for sure.

And idk if it getting caught off guard makes sense? To my eye, if it happened in nature that would mean that a branch or plant in the environment had been unexpectedly moved, letting the sun with its UV in. And so it would be likely to be an animal (bugs eating a leaf? Birds?). So throwing up max defenses even at their relatively high energy cost would make some selective pressure sense. Birds love pot seeds. But that's a total freaking high person shot in the dark. Not even a hypothesis. I'm just feeling around in that general area for any crumbs of coherence.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I guess what we are really talking about is evoking the part of the genotype that responds to these environmental conditions as the organism grows, right? In other words, getting the phenotype with the full "benefits" of UV exposure.

To our eyes, these benefits are related to the consumption of the resin and flowers, right?

I am open to the hypothesis that the plant waits to make too many decisions about the environmental triggers affecting the phenotypical expression of anything related to that part of the plant before it has reached the level where it's done growing at a minimum. The environment at flower level would just be different at that point.

I am also open to the hypothesis that it makes a decision before that. I don't know for sure.

And idk if it getting caught off guard makes sense? To my eye, if it happened in nature that would mean that a branch or plant in the environment had been unexpectedly moved, letting the sun with its UV in. And so it would be likely to be an animal (bugs eating a leaf? Birds?). So throwing up max defenses even at their relatively high energy cost would make some selective pressure sense. Birds love pot seeds. But that's a total freaking high person shot in the dark. Not even a hypothesis. I'm just feeling around in that general area for any crumbs of coherence.

Lots of variables. Lots and lots of them.

And plants have immediete response mostly but can have underlying causes as well. I have always felt a good fast growing healthy veg plant with no issues always grows the best flowers. And the typical thought you can do whatever in veg as long as tjey are healthy before flower is fine. It isnt. Those seem to be the problem plants in a good garden in my experience.

I think the tendency to reverse can be triggered in veg too. The troubled young plants seemed to be the ones that grew nanners in flower.

We can pontificate all night. And even if we test ourselves we hardly have any conclusive evidence of anything. Mostly still our opinion.

:-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom