Aquaman goes COCO. (Mother hunt)

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
tsukiman13

tsukiman13

Was digging through my old vids... my last tank before packing up. At one point I had well over 20 tanks a few over 120gal.

I built the waterfall out of styrofoam and cemented it then painted and sealed it. Used 1"pvc tubing and airstone to make a recirculating sand fall that looks like an underwater waterfall. All the plants are live and it took 8 months to grow that dwarf hair grass out from a 2" circle that cost me like $30. Lot more to this tank than meets the eye. Was making my own nutes for this stuff also. The tree is just drift wood and Christmas moss (live). That took a while to fill out also

This is where I chose my name from as I think I have explained the super hero confusion.
Amazing! I was wondering how did you do that waterfall lol hahahaha.

tsukiman13

tsukiman13

Ph of RO is invalid.

The problem is no alkalinity. You need to add alkalinity, I suggest potassium silicate. If you have potassium bicarbonate (usually ph up) then add it to RO first to create some alkalinity. If you give me the brand I can give you an idea or atleast give you a test to determine an adequate amount. Also don't use citric acid or citric acid based ph down. Stick to sulfuric or phosphoric acid.

Have a read here.

So i was wondering. if RO has no alkalinity, then how can I flush a defected medium with just plain ol RO? Can I just use RO without needing to adjust pH to flush?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Was digging through my old vids... my last tank before packing up. At one point I had well over 20 tanks a few over 120gal.

I built the waterfall out of styrofoam and cemented it then painted and sealed it. Used 1"pvc tubing and airstone to make a recirculating sand fall that looks like an underwater waterfall. All the plants are live and it took 8 months to grow that dwarf hair grass out from a 2" circle that cost me like $30. Lot more to this tank than meets the eye. Was making my own nutes for this stuff also. The tree is just drift wood and Christmas moss (live). That took a while to fill out also

This is where I chose my name from as I think I have explained the super hero confusion.
That's absolutely fantastic dude. What a cool aquarium, easy to see your talent there. And easy to see why growing in water makes so much sense to you. Awesome crossover of skills there!

amekins

amekins

This is a thing of beauty. Well done.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So i was wondering. if RO has no alkalinity, then how can I flush a defected medium with just plain ol RO? Can I just use RO without needing to adjust pH to flush?
If I were to flush it would be with cal mag and ph adjusted.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

May i ask why you would flush with cal mag? Because its ro water?
So there is some ions in the water. I guess if its the last few days just RO. Bit if it was a flush to reset 100ish ppm of cal mag is just how I would do it. It kinda depends on the media I guess. Hydro and coco light dose of cal mag but soil prob get away without.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Nope that carbonic acid escaping. Was this from the tap at first? Oops reread it yeah respiration will lead to co2 in the rootzone both from plant and microbes. This co2 then form carbonic acid. A little more buffer will help combat this

so any type of bicarbonate will counter this, correct? Could use calcium carbonate, limestone, potassium bicarbonate, ect?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Bummer couple months back about four or five months, I had a Skywalker actually every Skywalker seed I germinated grew balls actually they we're fairly small about a foot tall, only the first one I didn't catch in time! I was moving some plans and bam hit me in the face freaking fuzzy Willow muffin! my mouth dropped open and I went oh no oh my God!! Since the Budd room is across the hall and my fans were facing the other direction I thought it was going to be okay but hahaha no way LOL either I had a backdraft or it circled around my entire basement and came back in the other side... No matter what he did the next five to eight plants I trimmed all produced seed but not too many on each and the White Widow seeds might be feminized because it hermaphrodited on me.... wasn't bad though I wound up with and white widow seeds, howling Diablo, Gorilla Glue, and a few unknowns
I've got like a few heinz 57 plants essentially cooking together this time around, going for mass shotgun effect and I know it's all good stuff, so the results should be highly varied and interesting. Basically GG#4, The finest White Widow I have ever seen, Grape Ape and Grandaddy purple (all photperiods). Some of the plants I've pollinated 3 different strains to the same plant. I'm also folding each of these into a few of these into my frankenstein auto's while doing the rest of this, so it should be fun sorting though all the f1's these plants it will produce. I don't think any of them have any freakish amounts of sativa's so I don't expect any weird problems that tend to occur with some of the more exotic strains.

Hopefully, I'll get some of it into the ground during the spring time and start isolating the different strains that it produces.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
How much bicarbonate do you think an average plant in say a 3 gallon pot would consume in the course of 2-3 days, (flowering plant) could be excess of a tsp or more, you think? Perhaps as much as a tbsp?

Is there any way to quantify or dial it in? that you can think of?

Probably doing ph runoff or is there a carbonic acid test solution?

Vesti Bule

Vesti Bule

...and here I've been picturing Jason Momoa looming over those gals...

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
So what I did with this last group of plants is this. There getting the end days of flowering right now in the room and I'm hitting them hard with UV after ramping it up over the last week or so. I also flushed them really good, then added back pure maple syurp which contains the following:

1TBSP per 1.5 L and a ph of 7

60–66% sugars along with lesser amounts of glucose and fructose and complex carbohydrates, including high molecular weight polysaccharides.2 Maple syrup also contains minerals (K, Ca, Mg, Na, Mn, Al, Zn, Fe, etc.), vitamins (riboflavin, niacin, thiamine, etc.), amino acids (arginine, threonine, proline, etc.), organic acids (fumaric acid, malic acid, etc.), and phytohormones (abscisic acid and phaseic acid and their metabolites).1,3 A wide range of phytochemicals, most of which are phenolics (belonging to lignan, phenolic acid, stilbene, coumarin, and flavonoid subclasses) have also been identified in maple syrup

I think something like this during early flowering and maybe again later in mid and the end (if done with restraint) might really have potential for enhancing taste, resin production, and help increase microbial growth, but it would have to be well regulated, and maintained. Too much would not be good either, but perhaps a balanced approach.

can aromatic compounds and benzene rings be absorbed by the root structure?

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

How much bicarbonate do you think an average plant in say a 3 gallon pot would consume in the course of 2-3 days, (flowering plant) could be excess of a tsp or more, you think? Perhaps as much as a tbsp?

Is there any way to quantify or dial it in? that you can think of?

Probably doing ph runoff or is there a carbonic acid test solution?
Not sure... something I can look into

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Not sure... something I can look into
well I just play around with it and see, I always try to start small and work my way up with different things, but it fits into what I'm wanting to do very well. I guess where I"m stuck in all of this is trying to figure out how big of molecules, sucrose, amylose, whatever and just start throwing it at the plant during key times of development. Seeing what it responds too, and go from there.

Then sample the results.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
The fish tank looks awesome BTW aqua, the plants look really healthy. It's probably self sufficient, almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom