Are these root aphids?

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

justblazen

Active Farmer
Does anyone know if Merit will kill unrooted cuts? These RA's made into my damn clone dome too. was thinking of drenching the rapid rooters too....

bonkia

bonkia

Look for the duel pipes coming out the back. I have predictor mites that swarm my garden.. They are a blessing pray they are those

bonkia

bonkia

Does anyone know if Merit will kill unrooted cuts? These RA's made into my damn clone dome too. was thinking of drenching the rapid rooters too....

The plant has to drink it to be effective soo no it wouldn't work.

thehappygardener

thehappygardener

Heating up the room will not kill the aphids. I tried that method last August by raising the room temp to over a hundrend and all that happened was that i stressed the plants. They seem to flourish with higher temps versus low temps. Take advantage of low temps in the winter to kill them off because their population and reproduction is lower and more stable. Use a fogger to kill the fliers. Pyrethium based or there is a new fogger called Beethoven that i here is awesome. Preventive is best method. Use Met52 becaue it not only works but it is nonsystemic. No need to stress your plants using other products. Remember that Met takes a several days or weeks to become 100% effective. There is no overnight fix. You will notice overtime that the population will reduce to nothing. Continue using Met once they are gone and they shouldnt come back as long as you keep a clean garden. No cross contamination with surrounding enviroment or by bringing in clones from an oustide source. Met25 is only effective if you apply it to everything. Dont forget to use a fogger. While using Met52 the aphids will develope a flier population to try and escape the Met fungus. there are a few stores in the denver area that now carry the product in store. Online you can find a couple of companies thta will ship dierct. The cheapest source i found is a guy that will ship overnight 214.335.9496. He is much cheaper than any online or retail stores. Good luck with the RA's. Remember that preventive is the best control method.

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
Can someone step back to the pictures on the first page with me? I don't see RA's here. I see some sort of mite. Living in the soil makes me think some sort of predatory mite that is going after some other bug in the soil. Fungus gnats? I don't know... Predatory mites can be extremely hard to kill- just like RA's. Any thoughts regarding the pictures initially posted?

PB

C

cctt

Thanks for going back and looking. I ended up scrapping those plants after nothing I tried could eliminate the pests. There were some fungus gnats present, though (I would think) not enough to support the population I saw. I also found them living on roots, which all showed signs of damage. If anyone has more information about this specific bug I'd love to hear it, as something tells me they're inevitably still somewhere in my environment waiting to take hold.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Can someone step back to the pictures on the first page with me? I don't see RA's here. I see some sort of mite. Living in the soil makes me think some sort of predatory mite that is going after some other bug in the soil. Fungus gnats? I don't know... Predatory mites can be extremely hard to kill- just like RA's. Any thoughts regarding the pictures initially posted?

PB
PB, I think I've already gone down that road, and the consensus and final conclusion was that they are indeed RAs. IIRC, mites are arachnids, which would mean they'd be 8-legged, not 6, right?

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
PB, I think I've already gone down that road, and the consensus and final conclusion was that they are indeed RAs. IIRC, mites are arachnids, which would mean they'd be 8-legged, not 6, right?

Yeah, you're right.. I just thought I was seeing eight leggies.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

Here's the photo I'm referring to..

Looks like they were hypoasis mites..or a beneficial mite..

I recently had a pest problem and had a serious delay, moving on i encountered these mites and have been racking my head for days over these little guys... Good to know there on out side..

Here's a photo of a root aphid that looks very similar, with the exception of the leg count and mouth piece, and antennas (not sure if that's what they call them but the mite looks like a spider and has sort of claw like appendages that help bring food too the mouth, the aphids doesn't have it)..

Don't forget RA have tailpipes as well..

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
The reason you would find hypoasis mites in soil looking like they are chewing your roots is because they are eating the fungus gnat larvae that are eating your roots. Thanks for checking those pictures again. I thought I was seeing eight...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Actually PB, you called it right, no
Offense seamaiden.. You can barely see the 8 legs on cctt photos..

Here's a link of another thread that talks about soil mites..
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/mites-in-the-medium.23248/page-2

Sited from this link http://soilbugs.massey.ac.nz/acari.php
No offense taken! I've posted in many of these threads, and going from memory doesn't always serve. So, what are being depicted on the first page *are* mites, then? Yeah, I only counted six legs.

EDIT--looking @ the 2nd pic, yeah, you're not kidding about barely, because I still can't quite make out all the legs. Probably need to clean my glasses (if not also my monitor...?). D'oh!

C

cctt

I tried to count legs in those pictures so many times. Never came to a solid conclusion, though. There's something poking out the front but I could never tell if they counted as legs or antennae or were used for feeding or something else.

With my giant list of attempted pesticides I now regret not giving abamectin a shot, as its efficacy (or lack thereof) might have shed some light on whether these were mites.

EveryOneSmokes

EveryOneSmokes

The reason you would find hypoasis mites in soil looking like they are chewing your roots is because they are eating the fungus gnat larvae that are eating your roots. Thanks for checking those pictures again. I thought I was seeing eight...

Right on PB, they also will eat algae and debri when no prey are around..

No offense taken! I've posted in many of these threads, and going from memory doesn't always serve. So, what are being depicted on the first page *are* mites, then? Yeah, I only counted six legs.

EDIT--looking @ the 2nd pic, yeah, you're not kidding about barely, because I still can't quite make out all the legs. Probably need to clean my glasses (if not also my monitor...?). D'oh!

Very hard to see them, I had to double check but the mouth piece is also a good indicator...

I tried to count legs in those pictures so many times. Never came to a solid conclusion, though. There's something poking out the front but I could never tell if they counted as legs or antennae or were used for feeding or something else.

With my giant list of attempted pesticides I now regret not giving abamectin a shot, as its efficacy (or lack thereof) might have shed some light on whether these were mites.
I hear you, its hard getting a good shot of they guys and other small pest unless you have a good macro lens/ camera...
But definitely is a mite, I took a picture of mine but my shot is no where near as close to yours.

I did read on another site that was try to sell a pesticide for these mites 'mention when there is no source of prey or algae or debri that the mites will start to eat your roots but I don't think they had any facts backing there statement.. They are suppose to contribute to a good root health, so they actually help break down dead roots...

If you ever encounter these mites again I would monitor the runoff ph, if you have a pest in the root zone you may notice a ph swing...

Mogrow

Mogrow

cctt, man i think you did the right thing in scrapping those plants. i like you may have starting glowing or something if you had smoked those buds, with applications of Mallet, pyganic, met 52, triazicide, azammz, imid's and spiorotramat bet the taste was off the charts.. but may have not been too good for your patients...
peace mogrow

thehappygardener

thehappygardener

Mogrow, Met52 is natural and non-systemic. That would not effect the taste of buds. The others are systemic which will deffinatley effect the final product. If people continue to use harsh chemicals as a quick fix then maybe they should use Met as a preventive after the harsh chemicals. Preventive will always be the best approach.

Vers

Vers

I'm looking to run an experiment with Met52, and was wondering if anybody on here has any that they could ship me a sample of. (Like 4-5grams)

Thank you!

C

cctt

Well, sorry to say I'm seeing some root damage that makes me think they're back. :mad:
I'm ordering a better microscope and if they're around I will hopefully get some closer pictures.

Top Bottom