Are these root aphids?

• Thread starter cctt
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cctt

I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss Met52; a lot of people have reported great results from it. I can't give solid evidence either way as I use it in combination with too many other things to know what's going on for sure. It's tough to be a scientist when there are plants to be grown.

Pancho-N-Lefty

Pancho-N-Lefty

they look the same as mine did. We threw the whole arsenal at them 1x a week for 3 weeks and foliar fed with azamax, cedar oil an go-gnat till we stopped seein anything.
gl
PnL

thehappygardener

thehappygardener

Those could be root mites. Its difficult to tell by that photo. What is your growing media? I know of people that have had great success with Met using it with soil, coco and rockwool but limited results with hydroton. I would use a multiple product approach before they have time to multiply. Act now. Once they are gone then continue to use a preventive approach for a while.

C

cctt

Those could be root mites. Its difficult to tell by that photo. What is your growing media? I know of people that have had great success with Met using it with soil, coco and rockwool but limited results with hydroton. I would use a multiple product approach before they have time to multiply. Act now. Once they are gone then continue to use a preventive approach for a while.
I'm not familiar with root mites. Can you link me to some more information? A google search leads me mostly to discussions regarding root aphids.
This is coco-based media. I just transplanted everything to one size up with the new mix full of Met.

T

thatspoker422

Let one crawl up on something(like a stick) and drop some rubbing alcohol on it so it dies then put it on a stable surface(a table)and take a better look at it with your microscope. If they have 8 legs they are harmless soil mites if they have 6 legs they are the dreaded root aphid. It's better to know before you dump a bunch of chemicals on your plants.

budboy299

budboy299

I think Smokie has it bang on with Hypoaspis Miles

and if you have these....they are a beneficial insect. Make sure before you spray as you could be wiping out some "good" bugs

B60   Hypoline m
C

cctt

I very much hope you're correct. I don't have the equipment to get a better picture, but the reason I assume the worst is I found them living -on- the roots, and those roots are more brown than they should be. The plants are not growing as fast as I would expect, either. I had to transplant to get the Met in there, so it will be a bit before the roots find the sides of their new containers and I can inspect them again. In the meantime I'm alternating between Cap's foliar, Pyganic, and Triazicide.

C

cctt

Update: They're still very much alive and wreaking havoc on my roots. So far apparently haven't been killed by Triazicide, Pyganic, Met52, Imidacloprid, Azamax, or Cap's foliar tea (full strength). These things are scary. I don't think it's possible these are beneficial mites as they're clearly living on and damaging the roots, which turn brown just like RA damage.
Bug 12 18 1
Bug 12 18 2
Bug 12 18 3
Bug 12 18 4
Bug 12 18 5
Bug 12 18 6
Bug 12 18 7
Bug 12 18 8

C

cctt

Like I said earlier in the thread. Don;t waist your time and money. Merit75.
Like I replied earlier in the thread - Merit75 is a brand name of imidacloprid which is already listed as a part of my current arsenal. It was one of the first things applied, and has been applied twice now.

C

cctt

It is more potent than anything containing less than 75% imidacloprid, but no matter what source is used it's diluted in water first. What total application rate of imid are you recommending? That amount should be reproducible by any source by adjusting dosage appropriately.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
No! It is not.

cctt, try a hot water flush. 120*F. If you're doomed to lose them anyway, it's worth a try, IMO.

C

cctt

No! It is not.

cctt, try a hot water flush. 120*F. If you're doomed to lose them anyway, it's worth a try, IMO.
Thank you, I may be ready to try this before deciding it makes more sense to start over. I found a paper you linked to about a year ago about that process - they were using 125F for 5 minutes. Is that what you've had luck with? Do you notice this hurts the plants as well? Can Met52 keep living after such a treatment?

C

cctt

Movento from Rouge Farmers
I've heard of this recently but can't find too much specific information about its efficacy in this situation. And $1500/gal is quite a price tag to experiment. Do you have experience with this product?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thank you, I may be ready to try this before deciding it makes more sense to start over. I found a paper you linked to about a year ago about that process - they were using 125F for 5 minutes. Is that what you've had luck with? Do you notice this hurts the plants as well? Can Met52 keep living after such a treatment?
I would not expect much of anything to survive this treatment. However, I've read of others who've tried the 125* dunks, they killed their plants. Someone on ICM has been pouring slightly cooler water through his rootballs to pretty good results, though. 120*, instead of 125*.

C

cctt

I didn't realize Triazicide comes in liquid form. Whoops. Seems you've had great luck with it in the past, Maiden, so I'll give that a shot first before turning to might-kill-the-plants solutions.
I'm also looking into Kontos (like Movento but comes in smaller bottles). If anyone's tried this before please let me know how it worked out for you.

Top Bottom