Asked 3 sites got 3 different answers

• Thread starter Rdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rdub

Rdub

I’ll keep posting updates here probably. But nothing to in depth. To be honest I haven’t taken very good notes this grow. My next run I’m going to try to be more detailed

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I’ll keep posting updates here probably. But nothing to in depth. To be honest I haven’t taken very good notes this grow. My next run I’m going to try to be more detailed
I use to write a grow diary for many years. Today I use pic dates and my diaries here. Makes life easy. Why do it twice?

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Put it all here, the good, bad and indifferent. Someone might see something you missed. Most of the folks here what you to produce the very best you can. It's kinda a family who pull for all. When I found this place I knew I was home.

Rdub

Rdub

Put it all here, the good, bad and indifferent. Someone might see something you missed. Most of the folks here what you to produce the very best you can. It's kinda a family who pull for all. When I found this place I knew I was home.
Well you might regret saying that 😉 I have so many questions. Seems like everyday I have more questions. So here I am midway through week 3 of flowering and I’ve noticed some of the upper leaves turning purple. It has started cooling down here but temps on my grow room floor haven’t dropped below 67 degrees. Any clue what could be causing this? I’ll post a few pictures here in a second. Btw my nutrients are at 550 ppm

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Sudden purpling in the first 4 weeks of flower can also be a phosphorus deficiency. It's even more amplified by colder temps, when the temp drops the plant will uptake more P, especially around early/peak bloom.

What are you feeding and what media are you growing in? Mixing too much calcium with phosphorus products can cause a lack of P also.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I use to write a grow diary for many years. Today I use pic dates and my diaries here. Makes life easy. Why do it twice?
Same lol. I've even started including what I'm feeding and when in my posts in my diary. It's been awesome having pics to look back on also because they have some dialogue and story attached, so I can really look back to see what was going on. Very helpful having a grow diary.

Rdub

Rdub

Sudden purpling in the first 4 weeks of flower can also be a phosphorus deficiency. It's even more amplified by colder temps, when the temp drops the plant will uptake more P, especially around early/peak bloom.

What are you feeding and what media are you growing in? Mixing too much calcium with phosphorus products can cause a lack of P also.
Feeding half strength flora trio and supplements. I’ve also been feeding half strength cal/mag and slowly been working it up to the recommended full strength which is what my last 2 feedings have been. I bet that’s what it is. To much calcium

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Calcium needs to be kept to a minimum when using a high P bloom nutrient. I apply it in a totally seperate application from my nutrients. And if your calcium is nitrate based, that opens another can of worms in bloom... Better off building it up with Ca carbonate based versions of calmag, but again not too much or itll bind with P and form calcium phosphate which is insoluble and renders both nutrients useless to plants.

Rdub

Rdub

Well little update for ya today day 27 of flower. Bought a par meter quite awhile ago and noticed something that I would like your guys opinion on. That rogue flower in the middle that’s 6 inches taller is getting hit with about 950 ppfd and loving it. The sides are only getting about 500. You guys have any lighting recommendations to supply between 120-200 extra watts to the sides of my canopy? Also noticed one of my plants is yellowing prematurely. Should I up the amount of flora grow for the next few weeks? ( I’m less than halfway through flowering ). And in one of these pictures the plant on the left is droopy as hell. The plant in question is the one that started this thread. It’s growing but much more slowly. Wondering if there is anything I can do to help it catch up or if I should just keep doing what I’m doing and and come to terms with the fact that it just won’t produce quite like the others. ✌️ and ❤️

0262CE24 51ED 446F A5D3 1DEAF74A0CA9
5B0713E3 A8E8 4124 BFC5 EF2710C5CBC8
DE0F46CE BC6F 4B03 8F58 E75ACE3CB03C
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Calcium needs to be kept to a minimum when using a high P bloom nutrient. Better off building it up with Ca carbonate based versions of calmag, but again not too much or itll bind with P and form calcium phosphate which is insoluble and renders both nutrients useless to plants.
This opens up a lot of space for conjecture, as a ton of growers, notably newer ones, tend to flood their plants in oceans of Cal-Mag and other nutrients, not to mention the pre loaded fortified soils which are chalkfull o goodies. My question, aside from the Ph raising abilities of Cal Mag carbonate versions also causeing nutrient lockout with the higher Ph (and causing issues with magnesium absorption/usage), are you saying that the phosphorus is locked out from the Ph rise, or from a direct reaction between the Calcium and the Phosphorus... or are we talking about the same beast from different perspectives (as in the Ph rise is a result of the Ca/P reaction instead of the Ph rise coming solely from the Ca actions)? This could help to explain the rash of Phosphorus looking problems when some folks are using a bunch of Cal-Mag... I guess the form of the Calcium ( Calcium carbonate vs nitrate?) could really cause issues that aren't consistent with regular Ca Mg additives.
It's a very interesting issue that might help explain some of the mysterious issues that seem to pop up for no good reason. I'm minimalist and don't have any problems, thankfully, but I also just enjoyed my evening routine and my mind is in the mood for thinking... must have been a Sativa!

Rdub

Rdub

Well here we are at the beginning of week 5. I’ve slowly been upping my nutes the last 2 weeks to see if that would help slow or stop the purpling of the leaves and it hasn’t. Leaves have also continued yellowing faster than I would like so I decided to do a flush with fox farms sledgehammer. 10 gallons through each pot. Reduced fees to 450 ppm. Flushing scrogged plants in Autopots with a battery powered 3 gallon wet dry vacuum is a pretty miserable experience. I was hoping for a bit more girth out of my ladies this late in the game. Going off the pictures do my flowers look like they are on track? Also can I expect them to continue bulking up? Strain is a 9 week train wreck. ✌️ and ❤️

F1BC4A52 2044 48ED BC06 DF90110E231D
AD413BD2 FB8C 4CD9 BC8A A44AFB59ED39
D3174E7A 334E 40D3 B5C5 D19CB4AF8194
Lord Bonkey

Lord Bonkey

Well here we are at the beginning of week 5. I’ve slowly been upping my nutes the last 2 weeks to see if that would help slow or stop the purpling of the leaves and it hasn’t. Leaves have also continued yellowing faster than I would like so I decided to do a flush with fox farms sledgehammer. 10 gallons through each pot. Reduced fees to 450 ppm. Flushing scrogged plants in Autopots with a battery powered 3 gallon wet dry vacuum is a pretty miserable experience. I was hoping for a bit more girth out of my ladies this late in the game. Going off the pictures do my flowers look like they are on track? Also can I expect them to continue bulking up? Strain is a 9 week train wreck. ✌ and ❤
looks good to me, they will fill out in a few weeks

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
This opens up a lot of space for conjecture, as a ton of growers, notably newer ones, tend to flood their plants in oceans of Cal-Mag and other nutrients, not to mention the pre loaded fortified soils which are chalkfull o goodies. My question, aside from the Ph raising abilities of Cal Mag carbonate versions also causeing nutrient lockout with the higher Ph (and causing issues with magnesium absorption/usage), are you saying that the phosphorus is locked out from the Ph rise, or from a direct reaction between the Calcium and the Phosphorus... or are we talking about the same beast from different perspectives (as in the Ph rise is a result of the Ca/P reaction instead of the Ph rise coming solely from the Ca actions)? This could help to explain the rash of Phosphorus looking problems when some folks are using a bunch of Cal-Mag... I guess the form of the Calcium ( Calcium carbonate vs nitrate?) could really cause issues that aren't consistent with regular Ca Mg additives.
It's a very interesting issue that might help explain some of the mysterious issues that seem to pop up for no good reason. I'm minimalist and don't have any problems, thankfully, but I also just enjoyed my evening routine and my mind is in the mood for thinking... must have been a Sativa!

The big issue you run into with Flora Micro and Cal-mg is not only the calcium but the iron. Specially since Micro is already 5% Ca. Both of those can bind with P and become insoluble. Depending on how you are running Flora you might have a ton of P or your mixing order can fuck it all up. Specially if using the trash kool blooms.

Rdub

Rdub

The big issue you run into with Flora Micro and Cal-mg is not only the calcium but the iron. Specially since Micro is already 5% Ca. Both of those can bind with P and become insoluble. Depending on how you are running Flora you might have a ton of P or your mixing order can fuck it all up. Specially if using the trash kool blooms.
I’m am using kool bloom as my pk booster you recommend not using it? Mixing order is armor si, calmag, micro, grow, bloom. I think next week I’ll be cutting out the grow entirely

Rdub

Rdub

I bought into the marketing scheme and bought the full line up, it’s to much for me. Probably just use megacrop or biotabs on my next grow

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I’m am using kool bloom as my pk booster you recommend not using it? Mixing order is armor si, calmag, micro, grow, bloom. I think next week I’ll be cutting out the grow entirely

The whole point of 3 part is being able to mix the 3 different parts at different ratios to get what you want out of it. Want more PK/Mg? Just up the bloom/grow. Need for Ca? Up the Micro. About the only thing not in 3 part is Si. This is where something like hydrobuddy will help you to dial in a feed schedule to hit the ratio's you want. The big thing with 3 part is not running GH schedule. It's a good baseline to get started but going off the schedule and messing with the ratios is where it really shines. There is a couple of alt schedules people have been using for a while. Useless, 5-5-5, Lucas, ect.

The reason I don't like Koolbloom is the buildup you get with it in drip lines and the rez. I just don't really see a point in it when you can just up the bloom and get the same effect unless mixing those are hitting a certain ratio you can't hit with 3 part. I havent really seen a ratio where you needed that tho. Buying more bottles of bloom is also cheaper then shelling out money for koolbloom.

The whole point of 3 part is control on what you want to do.

Top Bottom