B8KD's First Grow - Outdoor - LA Kush Cake, Casper OG, Hazmat OG & Do-Si-Dos F2

• Thread starter b8kd
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
b8kd

b8kd

Yea, I shoot for a good solid yellow, actually. This way of doing stuff is far supeior than using a meter. This way is infallible, a meter is not, always remember that.

The plants look really good BTW, nice job

Be careful with online charts, because there's two out there, one for bromothymol blue and another for creosote purple, your interested in the Blue chart.

Frank - Thanks for the positive comments on the plants.

I do have an observation/question regarding the liquid pH test kits. Was wondering how prevalent the issue I’m about to describe might be with these test kits. Especially in our market where there is a lot of rebranding going on from other manufacturers items, from other industries, that may also have pH test kits. They slap a new, not always high quality, label on the package and the colors may or may not be right.

My experience with the color charts, although fleeting, was not a good one. That’s why I went and bought a digital meter. I bought one of those liquid test kits when I first started this grow and had a real problem with it. The main issue being this: There was a color chart on the bottle and a printed piece of paper that came with the test kit that also had a color chart for pH range. Turned out the printing colors on both the bottle and paper chart were slightly off and I was never able to get an accurate test. I was able to verify the inaccuracies after purchasing the pH meter and then using the Blue Lab standards to calibrate and test against the liquid test kit and it’s label and printed color chart. I also validated my days beings with the test results for the city water provided by the city of
Bend, OR. This could happen at home and on computer monitors too if you try to reproduce your own test strips to match against online patterns. If your printers not calibrated correctly the colors will be off and you can not accurately match a liquid test against it. Just my two cents. B8KD

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Frank - Thanks for the positive comments on the plants.

I do have an observation/question regarding the liquid pH test kits. Was wondering how prevalent the issue I’m about to describe might be with these test kits. Especially in our market where there is a lot of rebranding going on from other manufacturers items, from other industries, that may also have pH test kits. They slap a new, not always high quality, label on the package and the colors may or may not be right.

My experience with the color charts, although fleeting, was not a good one. That’s why I went and bought a digital meter. I bought one of those liquid test kits when I first started this grow and had a real problem with it. The main issue being this: There was a color chart on the bottle and a printed piece of paper that came with the test kit that also had a color chart for pH range. Turned out the printing colors on both the bottle and paper chart were slightly off and I was never able to get an accurate test. I was able to verify the inaccuracies after purchasing the pH meter and then using the Blue Lab standards to calibrate and test against the liquid test kit and it’s label and printed color chart. I also validated my days beings with the test results for the city water provided by the city of
Bend, OR. This could happen at home and on computer monitors too if you try to reproduce your own test strips to match against online patterns. If your printers not calibrated correctly the colors will be off and you can not accurately match a liquid test against it. Just my two cents. B8KD
Yea, the paper charts are shit. You can perserve them by taping over them with translucent tape, but the best color indicators your going to find are mostly online. Once you get what bright yellow, yellow/green and yellow/orange look like, your be fine. But you've also got to figure out what they look like with a bunch of dissolved amendments sometimes make it a bit more tricky, as you've got to take the "off" color that they present..

That said, I still take chemical markers over digital anyday, and I've worked professionally, went to college in laboratory environments, both microbiology and organice/bio chemistry, chemical markers are rock solid, they simply don't change. I trust them far more. I do use the ppm meters a lot, and i use a digital scale over a manual one, but lot of the meters from china out there are shit, and short of having quality lab equipment, with appropriate, well established calibraiton protocols in place, I would not personally trust them. That's just my .02

Download the pics I gave you, I think I've got one more I usually use, lemme find. Here they are. Look closely at 5.5 and 6.0 Oh so, slighly yellow/green

Once you got good pH range, good sunlight, temps, root's are going to be loving it, sucking that fluid, big transpiration, big photosynthesis equals massive decarboxylation and alkaloyd production. So keep close eye your pH.

Again, they look fantastic, just keep them happy down under them roots. If your concerned about bugs, I would hit them again soon, as you've still got a little time, by the looks of it, but not much more. Once those buds get more developed your limited in what you can do. Also, I didn't read though it all, but I'm assuming your already flushed and started your flowering regime, just try to make early flower trouble free, (don't push too hard) because it will make a big difference on the back end. I've got a habit of pushing them too hard sometimes, so playing it safe is a good strategy.

This can be the time where trouble starts sometimes, so pay attention.

BestBromblue
Images 1
Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, I've got a pretty good monitor here, and I do a calibration every now and again. I'm an avid gamer, so I've got a Monoprice MP 25in Zero-G Gaming Monitor – FHD, 240Hz, 1ms, FreeSync, but any modern LCD should give accurate color. Certainly calibrating the monitor is an issue for some I suppose.

b8kd

b8kd

Hi Farm - I have a question. Since this is my first grow I’m really interested in how the buds develop on the plant to eventually become what we smoke. What comes first, second, etc in the flowering phases. So my question is this: Will all the individual buds on this “Sherbadough” top cola eventually grow into one big main cola? So that it looks like one big bud? Now I know that question also depends on genetics, and how well I’m doing as a grower, but is that kind of the plan with these tops? Thanks for any responses!

b8kd

11432467 935E 4425 B87E 1AA199312C56

41A41285 84D7 4BE5 8338 D5405BDF6793

D8AFB741 5574 42A9 B125 1A458FBC8ECB

b8kd

b8kd

Sherbadough video below. Tried to get some good close ups for y’all. Looks like all of my plants have decided to get in the game at this point but only the Sherb is in the video. It’s definitely the farthest along. I think this is gonna be fun to watch. In about three weeks things should start to get serious. With the seven different strains it’s gonna be real interesting seeing the different flowers on the different plants.

TheKushie

TheKushie

You should lollipop and remove as much fan leaves and leaves that will block sunlight. Remove the smaller buds close to the bottom canopy and bear main stalk. Remember it's a weed and that the leaves will eventually grow back and you'll need to do it again before harvest. Can check mine for reference I just did my last trim yesterday. Awesome job on your first grow, give it some bud booster to to promote bigger/denser flower.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Hi Farm - I have a question. Since this is my first grow I’m really interested in how the buds develop on the plant to eventually become what we smoke. What comes first, second, etc in the flowering phases. So my question is this: Will all the individual buds on this “Sherbadough” top cola eventually grow into one big main cola? So that it looks like one big bud? Now I know that question also depends on genetics, and how well I’m doing as a grower, but is that kind of the plan with these tops? Thanks for any responses!

b8kd

View attachment 1020737

View attachment 1020739

View attachment 1020738
Probably, yeah. Looking good! Don't worry too much about defoliation on your first go imo. Like some light lollipopping and just watch the plant. That is what I did anyway. Don't regret it.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Yea, they kinda grow into one another. Basically your inter-nodal spacing is what determines how "fat" buds (the whole cola) tend to get, among other factors, if the "bud size" is the same.

b8kd

b8kd

You should lollipop and remove as much fan leaves and leaves that will block sunlight. Remove the smaller buds close to the bottom canopy and bear main stalk. Remember it's a weed and that the leaves will eventually grow back and you'll need to do it again before harvest. Can check mine for reference I just did my last trim yesterday. Awesome job on your first grow, give it some bud booster to to promote bigger/denser flower.

Agree with trimming, maybe a little less than yours, but definitely have followed a plan with regard to my defoliation. I think looks can be deceiving on healthy outdoor plants from a certain viewing angle. The plant has definitely had some major pruning done to it. The last major trim was about a month ago. Removed about a third of the plant. I’ve already removed all leaves on the bottom third of all of my plants along with some smaller branches that weren’t going to produce much. I then started on the remaining branches and worked each one all the way up. Here was my process: I would clear the first third of the branch and then only remove fan leaves as I continued up the branch, smaller leaves were left alone, and as I got to the top I’d leave about 4-6 fan leaves on each branch/stem. The plants have also been cleared up the center for good airflow. Again most of this was done a month or so ago on this plant but I’m trying to stay on it daily at this point and I only remove additional leaves if I have a damn good reason, such as blocking a few lower bud sites.

With regard to a bud booster what would you recommend? I’m currently all organic. You can see the nutrient mix I’m using in my grow journal. It’s about 12 different Earth Juice products and for the last month they’ve been receiving the “Earth Juice Bloom” recipe.

Really appreciate you’re feedback. It’s hard to get people to look at your grow journals sometimes unless they’ve got really big bud pictures or cool new grow room equipment.

B8KD

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Is humidity an issue your dealing with at the present? What's your 12 mn and 6 am humidity levels been at of late? what's it getting down too around 2pm?

b8kd

b8kd

Is humidity an issue your dealing with at the present? What's your 12 mn and 6 am humidity levels been at of late? what's it getting down too around 2pm?

Haven’t really been watching humidity much since it’s pretty much out of my control. I don’t think I’m having any issues though. It’s always really dry here in Bend, OR. Our weather for the next week should be clear skies with a high around 90 and a low at or below 60 every day. Humidity right now at 10pm is about 50% and 60 degrees. We get about 11” total of rain per year. We’re what’s considered “high desert” I think. But since were so close to the Cascades we get lots of run off and things seem to stay pretty green in and around town. As you head a little farther east it starts to look more and more like the real high dessert. Sorry I didn’t have more data on the ongoing humidity levels.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Haven’t really been watching humidity much since it’s pretty much out of my control. I don’t think I’m having any issues though. It’s always really dry here in Bend, OR. Our weather for the next week should be clear skies with a high around 90 and a low at or below 60 every day. Humidity right now at 10pm is about 50% and 60 degrees. We get about 11” total of rain per year. We’re what’s considered “high desert” I think. But since were so close to the Cascades we get lots of run off and things seem to stay pretty green in and around town. As you head a little farther east it starts to look more and more like the real high dessert. Sorry I didn’t have more data on the ongoing humidity levels.

Yea, I"m here in Seattle. I've been thinking of getting 40 acres in Christmas Valley which is a little south east of you actually. So I'm really interested in how this pans out for you.

Oh hell yea, your humidity is awesome. It's not getting above 50% right now, that's great.

Last edited:
b8kd

b8kd

Photos of all eight plants (seven strains).

A2576714 1364 4A30 B4AA C70BBAEB71D5

#1 - Sherbadough (Sunset Sherbet x Do-Si-Dos)

08706D7E 7DC7 4D82 853E A2478C064504

B03A2DAD B49B 4F8A 897B CCE7D704E3B9

437CC7EF 5CE7 45B5 B1B2 E8A63804C8DF

#2 - Duct Tape (GG4 x Do-Si-Dos)

151C9DAC 42EC 4AF1 8476 C81E013CEB98

AF7BBD6B A13B 4B63 9162 9B7141BA2C02

4C6D2253 F984 4512 8111 9877E6980237

#3 - LA Kush Cake (Kush Mints x Wedding Cake)

4FD7435B D2A0 4A75 8E79 3FE0B625BBA7

9398C687 B76F 43BD B612 A2CC40F2D935

#4 - Do-Si-Dos F2 (OGKB x Face Off OG)

I have two of these plants.

2E08FBD8 E2AD 4A96 8A7B E1E35815568B

ABE39424 2A23 4AE2 BE96 D0D15ADA1984

005C319F 9D5F 47F6 9C05 0E03AB8493F8

#5 - RudeBoi OG #7 (Irene OG x Face Off OG)

34108721 5202 4996 A8CC CDD9171D6E65

47A8018D 1005 4A4C 94A7 AA4D8897B807

#6 - Do-Si-Dos F2 (OGKB x Face Off OG)

1F742807 BDC7 43D1 8B67 43AAF9A852C2

10D74D2F A06F 4134 8FD8 FABC1920C937

#7 - Casper OG (Ghost OG x Face Off OG)

20A7E7BD 7D7E 4794 909C 68839FDCAE68

76FDAD25 3C87 4C36 AEAE 3FA1A46E9641

Hazmat OG (Chemdog 91 x Face Off OG)

312EAAB0 A6B0 45EB B166 2699713D4CCA

F3FE591A 8977 44F5 8199 3E908BC75B35

b8kd

b8kd

I’m a little concerned about all of this smoke affecting my personal outdoor grow. The air quality is currently listed as “hazardous” here in Bend, OR. We’re sitting at about 500 on the air quality index right now. Did a little searching on the forum but wasn’t really able to find specifics on whether or not this is going to hurt their daily growth. I’ve researched bud washing in case that needs to happen down the road but curious about the consequences of the smoke right now. Are the plants going to keep flowering and moving along? Can’t even see out off the porch. Normally I can see trees, hills, mountains and a town. Just crazy.

b8kd

944C577D F191 40D9 9C3F 4BE8ED48A273

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I’m a little concerned about all of this smoke affecting my personal outdoor grow. The air quality is currently listed as “hazardous” here in Bend, OR. We’re sitting at about 500 on the air quality index right now. Did a little searching on the forum but wasn’t really able to find specifics on whether or not this is going to hurt their daily growth. I’ve researched bud washing in case that needs to happen down the road but curious about the consequences of the smoke right now. Are the plants going to keep flowering and moving along? Can’t even see out off the porch. Normally I can see trees, hills, mountains and a town. Just crazy.

b8kd

View attachment 1029222
I'd look at how @tomatoesarecooltoo is handling it.

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Thanks man! Will definitely check that out.

I am not doing anything special, just blowing the ash off with a leaf blower. Someone in the 2020 outdoor thread recommended it and I see lots of growers on instagram doing that. I wouldn't worry too much about them continuing to flower. Good idea on the bud washing, I think a lot of people are going to be doing that this year.

b8kd

b8kd

I’m concerned about the yellowing leaves on some of my plants. Is this normal during flowering? I expected some change in leaf color but this amount of change is starting to concern me. There’s a video of the plant at the end. Thanks, B8KD

D4FC7FD1 65D6 465E 815A F7DB415467DB

3DFFFB2B C785 4F25 B7D8 6B3D06C677E0

C50D14BE 9755 4456 BB93 CAC4C65163A3

ABB1FD2A 67A2 4C59 A6E7 B0DE1C5A3F30

0135D3F6 AF64 4431 9852 62AC10E01A42

42606349 56F6 4D3E 8536 316428E56EE1

88B8C744 ED23 4C6D A6AD 19243A3189A2

764F32A1 9D82 4CD3 AD08 0594DCF527F8

5AEE4F33 E58C 4E93 960E 074AE933DA01

Top Bottom