Back from the brink of the dead

• Thread starter Clyde4210
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sagadella

I'm using Botanicare nutrients (grow, bloom and cal -mag) with PowerSI recently added at bloom. Using RO water in a hygroton flood/drain system. Growing in my basement without heater or dehumidifier for now. Monitoring Humidity, temp, PPFD, DLI and VPD. Usually the humidity is crazy low here so I was able to use ventilation alone to manage it win the tent. Temp runs low at high 60s to low 70s slowing growth but still managing.
I have discovered that even though the nutrients were labeled as Hydro, and I diluted them to 1/2 the recommended, they were still too strong. Just started reading this thread 2 days ago and the table that @PK1 shared on managing EC and nuts on 12/5/21 as well as the advise by @Lilome on the same day, to check TDS after each addition of different nutrients was HUGE! Made the lights go on for me.
I am running a small commercial hydroponic greenhouse raising lettuce for local restaurants and thought I had a fair handle on using nutrients and growing- but the object for lettuce is NOT to bloom and I have had to unlearn things for cannabis.- So The pictures show my first grow -Critical Purple auto/fem(x2) and second seedlings- AK47 and Gold Leaf started 3-4 weeks after. Critical Purple seedlings were my first guinne pigs and 2 survived to bloom, one was stunted for 9-10 days and I left it in to grow to see what would happen- knowing that it would never reach it's full potential and would suffer because I would be adjusting everything to the needs of the other thriving plant. Still doing much better than I expected and with the stretch of the bloom it is the much taller plant now. This is the one with the leaf color changes I mentioned that were similar to yours- started exactly in the same area and was progressive from oldest fan leaves (since removed). Since decreasing TDS to low 800s everything's has started improving- obviously there was a lot of room for improvement!

TempImage8erNa0
TempImagebN5Q7o
TempImagehcuQ71
TempImage9TWTLb
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Did the brown problem show up after armour si? That could be it the potassium, a deficiency but with armour si and calmag may be burn. Not sure how you solve it without possibly effecting the others.

They all look great and a couple tall ones. The white tips, some are nute which is the obvious ones, with a tiny twist. Some could be light burn. My theory on the nute tip burn is we haven't dialed in our nutes yet. We tend to add just a touch too much nitro. How did you get them to stay confined?

I keep my water at the bottom of my net cup and let it drink up and fill every 4-5 hours. I don't have room to top feed. I got a bush, hopefully popcorn and not larf and maybe a quarter size piece which is sort of what's up top. I did get a scrog net and debating a 200w light to go with this 150w.

IMG 20220331 121602707 HDR
IMG 20220331 121710435 HDR
IMG 20220331 121733693 HDR
IMG 20220331 123058620 HDR
S

sagadella

Did the brown problem show up after armour si? That could be it the potassium, a deficiency but with armour si and calmag may be burn. Not sure how you solve it without possibly effecting the others.

They all look great and a couple tall ones. The white tips, some are nute which is the obvious ones, with a tiny twist. Some could be light burn. My theory on the nute tip burn is we haven't dialed in our nutes yet. We tend to add just a touch too much nitro. How did you get them to stay confined?

I keep my water at the bottom of my net cup and let it drink up and fill every 4-5 hours. I don't have room to top feed. I got a bush, hopefully popcorn and not larf and maybe a quarter size piece which is sort of what's up top. I did get a scrog net and debating a 200w light to go with this 150w.
No the problem didn't start after the Power SI. It was pretty much from the start of growth for the second plant- when it finally started growing. The problem lead me to seek other measures to find out what was going on- to learn VPD, PPD and DLI. In retrospect it was a problem wrapped around gold. Who knows how long it would have taken me to investigate all that otherwise.
I actually think if the plants are small it was a result of the low temps slowing growth. My home is an old homestead and the electrical is questionable. I found that the basement is on the same circuit as several other heavy electric use rooms. Didn't want to burn the place down running a heater and dehumidifier on top of everything else. It half burned down about 40 years ago and do not wish to finish the job! Need to get an electrician out here for a separate circuit.
That is a nice trunk you have going there! I think my plants are about 2 weeks older than yours. Yours are auto/fem right? I'll be watching to see how we do.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Mine is an auto sprouted Jan 29th. I topped in veg and nothing else. I've been removing only bottom dead or dying leaves. Trunk is huge picture doesn't do it justice bigger than a 50 cent piece. Roots are pushing it over and the lighting I haven't figured out yet. I'd rather have your plant, mine is geared for outside. I think my seeds are genetic defects and why they were 10 bucks cheaper, 90 bucks instead of a 100.

It could be the cold or lighting but in your case I doubt lighting. I left the window open a couple of nights and it got down to 62 in the bathroom and that did create some brown/black leaves. All my bad leaves are bottom without any or hardly any light.

You using a lux meter or an app? I used the app but it didn't go over 19k and following it I had a squat plant that was leaf heavy. Meaning they hung down, my theory grew too fast. After 19k I was on my own. What wattage light do you have?

I have a net on the way.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Before I forget I guess you can say I'm pumping CO2 into the bathroom. Any time weather permits I open the window in hallway and blow fresh air in bathroom. At night I bounce air off directly onto plant. During grow hours air moves along wall around plant.

S

sagadella

Mine is an auto sprouted Jan 29th. I topped in veg and nothing else. I've been removing only bottom dead or dying leaves. Trunk is huge picture doesn't do it justice bigger than a 50 cent piece. Roots are pushing it over and the lighting I haven't figured out yet. I'd rather have your plant, mine is geared for outside. I think my seeds are genetic defects and why they were 10 bucks cheaper, 90 bucks instead of a 100.

It could be the cold or lighting but in your case I doubt lighting. I left the window open a couple of nights and it got down to 62 in the bathroom and that did create some brown/black leaves. All my bad leaves are bottom without any or hardly any light.

You using a lux meter or an app? I used the app but it didn't go over 19k and following it I had a squat plant that was leaf heavy. Meaning they hung down, my theory grew too fast. After 19k I was on my own. What wattage light do you have?

I have a net on the way.
I germinated 1/11/22 so yea-a little over 2 weeks ahead of yours. My temps all along have been in the low to mid 60s. Has only risen to high 60s to 70 in the last week at nearly the end of flowering. Amazing how adaptable this plant is! I am using Photone Pro and I love it. 29$ for the year but it gives me critical information to figure out what is going on right on my phone. Don't use the Lux but it's part of the package. I have been using the PPFD and DLI to adjust the Hortibest Octipus 660 watt LED. For my small tent and with the limits of the temperature (which I can't currently adjust other than to increase/decrease ventilation)- I haven't been able to use it above 40%. When I had the light higher (60%) the plants were over transpiring and by the end of the light period they looked sad and wilted.
So I'm getting ready to harvest one plant and have lots of questions about how to do this. Don't want to crimp on this step and ruin all the effort. It appears that buds will be maturing at different rates. Is it common tho harvest a branch at a time? Or a bud at a time? I am watching trichomes with a microscope but determining the percentage of milky to clear and amber to milky is .... interesting. I know it's not ready yet but still lack confidence that I'll be able to recognize the change. I need to search out details on this forum. Only a few of the stigma have turned orange an I guess it will be another 10 days to 2 weeks. Now week 8 of bloom. I have only done LST and that was late I guess- done VERY low stress after blooming started and it really has made a difference. The new plants I have coming along I started training in veg.
Are you using a tank of CO2? And are venting at the same time? Or only improving ventilation via the window?

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I have read people harvesting autos in sections, I plan on it if I have too. When reading it didn't say but I've read people snatching flowers early to test. So I'd go with flower. I'm not the one too ask though. For harvesting it doesn't sound ready but the thing is how mature do you want it. I wouldn't be scared of the harvest time, that should be the easy part. You could wait for mostly amber if you want that sleepy couch lock. My reading says 20 to 30 percent amber and mostly milky. You're going to have clear still but not as much compared to the rest. I haven't paid attention to the red hair harvest only the trich part. plant I tossed reddened up from hst. No I'm just using the window with 16" fan so it's getting oxygen and CO2 instead of recycled air. Yeah you got light and sounds like a great setup. I still have to learn the light.

Are you flushing? Are you or have you done the 2 day lights out?

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

And this is how she will roll. I'm hoping the bent leafs shape up. They were up against the makeshift walls. Side lighting let me move it some. Still stuck with curtain though

IMG 20220408 065504064 HDR
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Well tds meter on the way. Bad sinus infection can't smell but can smell plant and carpet is being installed in the bedrooms next week.

Not sure how this is going to go.

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Not looking great and have to fix the heat up top and still trying to find the right nute ratios.

IMG 20220424 081224394 HDR
IMG 20220424 081211322 HDR
IMG 20220424 081148495
IMG 20220424 081137593 HDR
IMG 20220424 081125276
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Smells like lemons. Plant I tossed was onion and black pepper but this one is floral and lemons.

IMG 20220503 165359639
IMG 20220503 165352551
IMG 20220503 165345594
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Show off pic. I see the nute burn and I keep lowering it. Have about 4 or 5 colas that size and too many to count slightly smaller ones. They're all decent size though roughly a foot long.

IMG 20220508 055633968 HDR
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

I'm just movin' along
(Takin' my time) hey, just movin' along
(Takin' my time) I'm just takin' my time
(Takin' my time) yeah
(Takin' my time) oh

IMG 20220521 070909104 HDR
IMG 20220521 070853013 HDR
IMG 20220520 160547122
IMG 20220520 160459922
IMG 20220520 094008009
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Had to turn the ts1000 down to 75% and moved the ts600 up and over. Lots of lemon with a hint floral scent. Starting to develop that gassy smell.

Latest posts

Top Bottom