Back from the brink of the dead

• Thread starter Clyde4210
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Grow room, fan is outside door by window so I can bounce outside air on the plant. Shower curtain is a blackout blind that I haven't started using yet. Blackout blind on top of bucket. Bathroom stays 75f. I have 6 days of 65f+ weather left and I wanted to get as much grow as I can before I'm forced to keep window closed.

IMG 20211205 044955245 HDR
Lilolme

Lilolme

I'm not sure what's going on. I know roots are making their way out of the cup but still not many. I actually made another bucket yesterday because other bucket smelled stagnant or earthy, like dirt. I know roots are a issue. pH stayed the same but my ppm's are the same from drain to waste runoff and bucket itself. I started off at 690 and now at 640.

Here's roots and why I think it's a major issue. No roots on other side at all just that area you see. The pic with my fingers shows 8 leaves you may have to zoom in.
You wont see a bunch comin out of the pot, a few will dangle down into the water and they will create a huge root ball in the reservoir, you may not see huge amounts of roots comin out ot the pot once they get to the reservoir, what you got there looks fine. 3 gallons is small for a reservoir you may have to change it out weekly. Bein a small plant still you probly won’t see big differences in the ppm numbers the big thing is keepin the ph stable. That entire bucket will be a huge rootball in a month

Last edited:
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

You wont see a bunch comin out of the pot, a few will dangle down into the water and they will create a huge root ball in the reservoir, you may not see huge amounts of roots comin out ot the pot once they get to the reservoir, what you got there looks fine. 3 gallons is small for a reservoir you may have to change it out weekly. Bein a small plant still you probly won’t see big differences in the ppm numbers the big thing is keepin the ph stable. That entire bucket will be a huge rootball in a month
Ok, I was thinking I should have a ton of roots in the water. I switch that water out every few days. I've been looking to just get by on a week but with so many issues I start fresh. From Thursday to Saturday I went through roughly 20 gallons of water.

This one or the one I poured out seem to be working. I'm waiting on brand new growth so I can see how the leaves are coming in. It grew an inch, stalk thickened up, stems got longer, some color came back, node growth leaves straightening up.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Noticin things as I study your pics, do you have a small fan movin air across the plant? This is very important a little breeze on the plant keeps it cooler and makes it stronger

Lilolme

Lilolme

Back off on your nutes a little more excess nutes collectin on the roots are not good, I can see a plant that small doin well in the 250-300 range then bump it up as it gets bigger, your doin great

Lilolme

Lilolme

I was calling mine Sour Shower Diesel. You grew all that in there? Now that looks nice.
The 2 outer ones in the tub are Sour Diesel with a Green Crack in the middle, the others are cuttings I took before I flipped the lights to 12/12 which you won’t have to do with an auto, or worry about light intrusion like you would with photoperiods. Hold your hand at the top of the plant for a minute, you should just barely feel the heat from the light. Adjust the light so you can hold your hand at plant level and it feels warm, not hot

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Noticin things as I study your pics, do you have a small fan movin air across the plant? This is very important a little breeze on the plant keeps it cooler and makes it stronger
I leave bathroom door open with a 16" fan blowing air onto the door which bounces off onto the plant. It creates like a whirlpool effect in there, I do have a 6" fan. There's a window behind the 16" fan. I open it up from late morning/afternoon to late afternoon, weather has been in the 70's. I cut my Nutes to 400 I ran out of water.

Reactions: PK1
Lilolme

Lilolme

I think my biggest mistake with my dwc experiments was shootin for the higher ppm numbers I was seein in my readin, all those excess nutes accumulated on the roots and caused problems later in the grow. With my last soil grow I went very light with the nutes and got fantastic results. You are very attentive and it shouldn’t take long to find the comfort zone, better to be workin this stuff out now. Use the veg stage nute product with the higher nitrogen sparingly thats what coats the roots and makes em brown and stinky, nice white roots is what you want. Don’t be overly concerned with tuckin and pluckin leaves, leave em alone, they are paper thin and only absorb the green spectrum the rest passes through and even though the lower stuff appears to be in shadows its only the green thats really bein blocked the other spectrums pass right through

Lilolme

Lilolme

I leave bathroom door open with a 16" fan blowing air onto the door which bounces off onto the plant. It creates like a whirlpool effect in there, I do have a 6" fan. There's a window behind the 16" fan. I open it up from late morning/afternoon to late afternoon, weather has been in the 70's. I cut my Nutes to 400 I ran out of water.
How is your tap water? Ph and ppm? You may be able to use it if its not too high in the ppm range and isn’t too heavily treated with chlorine and such

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

The 2 outer ones in the tub are Sour Diesel with a Green Crack in the middle, the others are cuttings I took before I flipped the lights to 12/12 which you won’t have to do with an auto, or worry about light intrusion like you would with photoperiods. Hold your hand at the top of the plant for a minute, you should just barely feel the heat from the light. Adjust the light so you can hold your hand at plant level and it feels warm, not hot
I wanted green crack but no auto, sour crack I found. Thanks on the light it stood another 5%.

I appreciate all the help, you got it looking better. It changed that much since this morning.

IMG 20211205 081951633
Clyde4210

Clyde4210

The cuttings got to take over the tub after I harvested the mother plants View attachment 1194365
That's some great looking plants. My water is well water fed by a natural spring it's leans on the soft side, acidic but the ppm is around 10. It was 10 yesterday and 8 now. I did have white roots till I stained them with the Calmag yesterday. I built that bucket yesterday, new air lines and stones.

Lilolme

Lilolme

That's some great looking plants. My water is well water fed by a natural spring it's leans on the soft side, acidic but the ppm is around 10. It was 10 yesterday and 8 now. I did have white roots till I stained them with the Calmag yesterday. I built that bucket yesterday, new air lines and stones.
Thats why I measure the ppm as I add the cal mag so I know the ratio is good. If your on a clean well thats not chlorine treated I would be usin that water, if its treated just let it sit in an open bucket for 24 hours

Clyde4210

Clyde4210

Thats why I measure the ppm as I add the cal mag so I know the ratio is good. If your on a clean well thats not chlorine treated I would be usin that water, if its treated just let it sit in an open bucket for 24 hours
I actually measured the Calmag first then ppmed it out like you suggested. I ran high at 694, I cut it down to 339. I could use my water I was afraid to after reading about well water types. I've been drinking it 14 years.

Here's my question. Say I cut this down to under what it needs. Will it tell me by going through water quickly or will it starve first?

Do you suggest a new bucket starting off with 200ppm Calmag and Hydrogaurd then 100ppm it out with Nutes?

PK1

PK1

Supporter
nice grow, Im not a member of a tub grow 😄 but @Lilolme got you covered. The only thing i can ad is to bring your ph to 5.5
Stability is key for hydro. here is a chart i follow to ensure stability of rez
PH and EC fluctuations in Hydroponics 768x576

Here is a chart to showcase at what ph the plants takes what type of nutrients
Ph nutrient

Lilolme

Lilolme

I actually measured the Calmag first then ppmed it out like you suggested. I ran high at 694, I cut it down to 339. I could use my water I was afraid to after reading about well water types. I've been drinking it 14 years.

Here's my question. Say I cut this down to under what it needs. Will it tell me by going through water quickly or will it starve first?

Do you suggest a new bucket starting off with 200ppm Calmag and Hydrogaurd then 100ppm it out with Nutes?
Might be the time to consider more reservior capacity while its little, I used 6 gallon softball buckets but I found some 7 gallon. The ph will stay more stable with more reservior capacity. At the very young stage a weaker solution is better its like growin a baby human you don’t stuff it full of steak from the beginning you have to start off easy to get the digestive system growin and goin then introduce a heartier diet

Hudson Exchange Premium 7 Gallon Bucket, HDPE, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07955TZ8...abc_6KXD6R7CGF8FY4XPXYGY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Lilolme

Lilolme

From what I have seen from a few autos I have helped with you may have a month or more before you start to see flowering activity in the meantime watch for “stretching” or sudden rapid stem growth and lower or turn up the lights just a tad, not much, till they quit reachin for the lights then readjust the lights higher or turn em back down, helps keep em from gettin long and leggy. You probly will want a higher brighter setting hangin high instead of a lower setting hangin closer

Reactions: PK1
Lilolme

Lilolme

I wanted green crack but no auto, sour crack I found. Thanks on the light it stood another 5%.

I appreciate all the help, you got it looking better. It changed that much since this morning.
Sorry to bust in on your grow, mines done and in the jars now as well as the other guys I was helpin with so I figured I would lend a hand

Top Bottom