Bag Seed Hunting & The Lst Adventure

• Thread starter rmoltis
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Today's update. It's morning time for the ladies.
20160706 161400

20160706 161407

20160706 161428

They are looking healthy and strong. I think it will be time for a transplant and a topping very soon.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I just pulled the center plant to inspect the roots. And it looks as though later tonight I will be transplanting them.

The roots aren't rootbound but are starting to circle the bottom. Which means I should be good.

H

Hyman

The thing about radishes that attracted me.
Was the short growth time. 20-30 days until ready to pull and eat. And with how cheap a bunch of heirloom seeds cost it seems worth it.

My next plan is to get a big bag of radish, broccoli, pea seeds and a few more to grow sprouts.
The idea of keeping seeds moist for 5 days and they're ready to eat sound great for easy access to your daily veggies.

Then maybe some herbs & spices.
I've grown some brocco
I'm going to weigh in here on the subject of bag seed.

I understand the 'learning curve' aspect of bag seed as throw away.

My argument is that genetics may not be everything, but it's close.

Plant the best genetics you can find and make your learning curve pay off best you can.

Why spend six months growing a plant that you will never know if things are normal of just bag seed strange.

Think about it. It's not to late to splash some better seed.

I took this approach starting off, with some bag seed and some that I ordered, the bag seed still growing, I learned from these experiences about AF and photoperiod seeds. The genetics did pay off in the quality of bud, still waiting on the bag seed to show some of what the AF's did.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
I've grown some brocco

I took this approach starting off, with some bag seed and some that I ordered, the bag seed still growing, I learned from these experiences about AF and photoperiod seeds. The genetics did pay off in the quality of bud, still waiting on the bag seed to show some of what the AF's did.

I mainly started off to learn/practice. While getting my own rhythm to growing my own way. While preserving great genetics still in seed form.

Now I am in it for the hunt. I like how random each grow is. I have 5 most likely unrelated strains everytime. I'm never sure what I'll get.

In a way this is fun. Especially in the sense that all those bagseed come from my local city of what's floating around.

This means I could potentially snag some growers prized genes who has lived here all his life.

Or offspring of peeps ordered seeds. Even then though I might land some older genes from some dudes saved seed packs grown recently etc.

I have a large number of seeds to hunt through for some gems. I hope I reach the prize before the bottom of the bag.

But even after that I'll have some exotic genetix to work with:D

H

Hyman

I mainly started off to learn/practice. While getting my own rhythm to growing my own way. While preserving great genetics still in seed form.

Now I am in it for the hunt. I like how random each grow is. I have 5 most likely unrelated strains everytime. I'm never sure what I'll get.

In a way this is fun. Especially in the sense that all those bagseed come from my local city of what's floating around.

This means I could potentially snag some growers prized genes who has lived here all his life.

Or offspring of peeps ordered seeds. Even then though I might land some older genes from some dudes saved seed packs grown recently etc.

I have a large number of seeds to hunt through for some gems. I hope I reach the prize before the bottom of the bag.

But even after that I'll have some exotic genetix to work with:D

Unfortunately what I find in a bag here isn't great genetics, but I took that same mind frame that you have of just learning with what I have to actually know what I'm doing when I order better genetics. Keep the pics from the bag seed comin!!!!

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Today was the day for transplant.
They needed to go into 1 gal pots next.

Here are the root shots. With their proper tags on the 1 gal pot in each pic.
20160706 210237

20160706 210151

20160706 210124

20160706 210109

20160706 210052

And then them in their new homes in home lighting.
20160706 205956

Then them in the upper chamber after being watered under 400 watts of metal halide power!!!
20160706 210031

I also trimmed off all of their 1st nodes. They were 1 leaf nodes with growth tips being shaded already.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Pics will have to wait until after my night shift is over 1:30-2am.

This is because I got up after lights off and they'll not be on until after I leave.

I set it to be off during the peak temp parts of the day to reduce cooling costs.

I'll try and get some pics up after work.

Moto

Moto

Today was the day for transplant.
They needed to go into 1 gal pots next.

Here are the root shots. With their proper tags on the 1 gal pot in each pic.
View attachment 614112

View attachment 614113

View attachment 614114

View attachment 614115

View attachment 614116

And then them in their new homes in home lighting.View attachment 614117

Then them in the upper chamber after being watered under 400 watts of metal halide power!!!
View attachment 614118

I also trimmed off all of their 1st nodes. They were 1 leaf nodes with growth tips being shaded already.

Girls look fantastic and love how detailed your journal is.. Great job and hope you get more time in the future to relax with your ladies.. :)

Thanks for Sharing

Moto

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Girls look fantastic and love how detailed your journal is.. Great job and hope you get more time in the future to relax with your ladies.. :)

Thanks for Sharing

Moto

Thx @Moto . I believe that there are a lot of details that people would like to see in picture form on a grow Journal.

So I try to make sure that my Journal is full of all the relevant information that people would like to see about how well the plants are doing. Without actually being there in person.

The real truth is in all the little tiny details that together make up the complete picture.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Today's update.
20160708 021544

20160708 021559

They grew quite a bit vertically in one night. The high intensity lighting works wonders for plant growth.

So I had to start the manifolding process. Each one was cut down to their 3rd node then defoliated.

20160708 031214

They look a little naked but they will bounce back.

I put the top cuts in the lower chamber. In hopes I can clone them for sexing.

Once sex is known I can thin out the herd and add extra tops on the remaining ladies.

Time for bed,

Night farm.

Last edited:
Moto

Moto

Today's update.
View attachment 614472

View attachment 614473

They grew quite a bit vertically in one night. The high intensity lighting works wonders for plant growth.

So I had to start the manifolding process. Each one was cut down to their 3rd node then defoliated.

View attachment 614474

They look a little naked but they will bounce back.

I put the top cuts in the lower chamber. In hopes I can clone them for sexing.

Once sex is known I can thin out the herd and add extra tops on the remaining ladies.

Time for bed,

Night farm.

Good Morning,

Excellent Job.. That is great points you mention. :)

A lot of books miss points like that and make it over complicated for new growers..

Keep up the great work and your girls look fantastic.. :)

Moto

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
The larger pots hold more soil. Which means I need more nutrients to feed with.

So I stepped up my nutrient bubbling reservoir to the 3 gal unit.

Right now I only need 1 gal batches. That's what you see in the picture.

I fed them water since transplant.
But I will give them these nutes as soon as the soil dries out.

Now that my nute capacity is 1 gallon. I had to use more aspirin and acetic acid.

To maintain the same ratio I would have had to use 615mg of aspirin. But instead I went from 1/2 a pill to 1 whole pill (325mg) mixed with 2ml of apple cider vinegar %5.

This will be an overall lower amount per liter than it was. Feels right to me.

Last edited:
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Today's update.
20160709 014148

2 of the plants new growth tips grew long enough today to be bound. I'm hoping by tomorrow there will be more.

I now have to work morning shift today (saturday) and Sunday for some side job work. When the past 2 days have been night shift :/. Gonna be a rough and busy weekend.

Night farmily

Moto

Moto

Today's update.
View attachment 614783

2 of the plants new growth tips grew long enough today to be bound. I'm hoping by tomorrow there will be more.

I now have to work morning shift today (saturday) and Sunday for some side job work. When the past 2 days have been night shift :/. Gonna be a rough and busy weekend.

Night farmily

Sorry to hear about the bs schedule your work is putting you through..

On a positive note your plants look amazing.. SO the amazing herb afterwards will be worth in the end.. :D

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Sorry to hear about the bs schedule your work is putting you through..

On a positive note your plants look amazing.. SO the amazing herb afterwards will be worth in the end.. :D

Thx Moto.
Good smoke in the end Will be worth it.

The question is...
How many females will luck grace me with this round?

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Today's update.
20160710 200813

20160710 200830

Now that the training has begun. The bagseed are pushing harder than any of the SDXQ. They already have the 2 new nodes I want growing in as we speak.

On a side note. All 3 of the SDXQ have exhibited a similar survival response to the manifolding. They have all 3 popped 2 new Sprouts about where the Cotyledons were or slightly lower.
There is a sprout on opposing sides of each other. Almost like a new node on each one. For example.
20160710 200859

20160710 200917

20160710 200941

I may leave them there for fun :D. The bagseed plots have also exhibited this response. Just their new growths are coming in slower.

Clones still looking healthy in the jacuzzi. The neoprene tops that hold the clones were too far above the water for my short cuttings. So I created my own temporary holders. Also made sure to label them so they can help me identify sex. Or if upper chamber is flowered first I'll know which clones to pull etc.
20160710 202555

Last edited:
Top Bottom