Ballin' On a Budget- THE RECIPE

• Thread starter BillFarthing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jguit

jguit

Supporter
I use Jack's finish and havent been disappointed but i've never done a side by side grow, with and without. If you want to keep a little calcium in your feed, you can run something like 3g of part A, 1g of B, 2g of finish and 1g of epsom. I'm curious what Bill's take is.

Observationist

Observationist

I love fertilizer. I work with big grows down to friends that have a single 400w light. I recommend the same thing to each and every one of them. It is used start to finish, so there's no following confusing feed schedules. A buddy of mine started calling this "The Recipe" because it is cheap, simple and gives some amazing quality flower.

It consists of:
1) Silica- I always recommend soluble silica like PowerSi or Grow Genius. If you are in a pinch, you can use potassium silicate, but you have to keep an eye on the pH.
2) Jacks Classic Hydro, Calcium Nitrate and epsom salt- This is your base fertilizer. It is 3 grams Jack's, 2 grams calcium nitrate, 1 gram epsom salt per gallon
3) Fulvic Acid- This helps prevent pH problems and plant stress and gives organic taste and smell. There's lots of watered down additives out there, but I recommend Mr. Fulvic because it is a concentrate and has fulvic, amino and organic acids.

The quality and yields are phenomenal. Depending on what quantities you buy, it can be $0.06-$0.10/gallon.

View attachment 1129079
i really like this, in terms of simplicity.

easy and simple. like my women.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Ok thanks for that info!

It really wouldn't be beneficial at all to run calcium at all?

I always thought the calcium requirements were higher in flower because of the heavy bud production.

But you're the expert, so I'll follow your advice if you really don't think it's worth it.

The cost is negligible to me, I just want the best results with the heaviest weight possible.

Thanks!
I'm no expert, I just try to learn something new every day. Please see cannabis Ca needs in the attached picture.

Jack's already did your homework for you with their full nutrient lineup. What I posted with Jack's Classic Hydro start to finish just has a couple tweaks to make it more effective with the least amount of inputs.

Image 1947375
PizzaBob

PizzaBob

I'm no expert, I just try to learn something new every day. Please see cannabis Ca needs in the attached picture.

Jack's already did your homework for you with their full nutrient lineup. What I posted with Jack's Classic Hydro start to finish just has a couple tweaks to make it more effective with the least amount of inputs.
Bill you happen to have a similar chart for NPK?

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
Bruce Bugbee uses Jacks but says any general purpose fert close to 2-1-2 is good, start to finish. He also says just to keep the medium at ~1.3 e.c., ~5.8-5.9pH.

Just for anyone that wants to keep it simple. Has worked for me also very well in coco and soil grows.

farroutman2003

farroutman2003

Just reading thru all this information, and several other conversations... I'm at the end of my first grow, and am seriously surprised i'm even at the end. I had very very basic knowledge, no attention to EC, PPM's. I did monitor PH and quickly learned about CA and water contents from deficiencies.. LOL Also learned about Nute Burns, had one plant that was literally stuck for almost a month and all i could do was let it drink and hope (at the time). Almost at the end and will have 4 strains of some decent bud with avg at best yields. Will be starting my second run here in a couple weeks, so it'll be interesting to see how much i learned from all of this great information!!

Thanks!

jguit

jguit

Supporter
What's the consensus on when to start DTW in coco? I think part of my problem on my current grow was not introducing nutrients until they were about 6 weeks old and then attempting to feed them according to a high frequency fertigation program.
You'd probably get a better response asking in a coco specific thread but if starting from seed, typical rules apply. I'd say somewhere around week 3 or when you have a few sets of true leaves or when they're looking a little bit hungry. 6 weeks sounds a bit on the 'should've fed a few weeks earlier' side of things.

pilto

pilto

Just popping in to thank Bill for the great information. I switched from bottled nutes (foxfarm) to this regiment and I have to say, even besides the cost savings, the quality and yield and general health of the plants was like night and day. I have just been doing the basic mix with PowerSi, Jack's, Calcium Nitrate, Epsom Salt, and Mr. Fulvic. Following the exact measurments suggested, and adding Recharge every other watering has resulted in no more burnt tips and much healthier production. Thanks for this great thread. Has been a great help. Also was looking for something I could stock up on for the long haul that wouldn't break the bank and this is definately that.

I have not been doing the "hammerhead" part as suggested. Do you find that it really adds enough of a bloom boost to make it worthwhile or would you say the bonus is marginal?

mikeross

mikeross

Begs the question - what’s the best cheapest potassium supplement?

I buy a 25kg bag of 0-0-62 for like 30 bucks.

at the end of week 7 I will dilute my Jack's res down to about 0.6ec and flush my plants. Then I mix 4-5g of the 0-0-62 per gallon and hand water that in. I give a full day dryback then following day go back to my regular watering schedule. When the 0.6ec res is done I remix to the ec I normally would(1.8) but do taper down ec last 2 week and eventual flush last few days. I do this once a week for the last 3 weeks of flower on 9-10 week strains and notice my flowers finish up quicker and density is up a little too. Anyways, that's how I get a little more K in late flower. I'm not sure if there are cheaper more effective ways, and some may call what I do bro-science but do notice a difference in density. I also use 0.5g MKP starting around week 2.5.

@BillFarthing , I'd love to hear your opinion on the K spike I do, once a week, last 3 weeks of flower. A friend of mine was using a product called "Dense" by GreenPlanet. I noticed its mainly just potassium chloride. So I grabbed some 0-0-62 for dirt cheap and followed the same application instructions from "Dense". I really do notice a difference but don't really know much about mixed dry salts and tweeking profiles.

Currently doing a modified Jack's formula, little mkp and 0-0-62 certain times during the grow, Power Si foliar/root fed in veg, foliar only in flower(i'm cheap) and just incorporated a fulvic acid this round. I'm growing the best bud's I ever have with this simple regime.

20211119 180329 resized
20211119 000317 resized
Last edited:
B

Blazein1

I love fertilizer. I work with big grows down to friends that have a single 400w light. I recommend the same thing to each and every one of them. It is used start to finish, so there's no following confusing feed schedules. A buddy of mine started calling this "The Recipe" because it is cheap, simple and gives some amazing quality flower.

It consists of:
1) Silica- I always recommend soluble silica like PowerSi or Grow Genius. If you are in a pinch, you can use potassium silicate, but you have to keep an eye on the pH.
2) Jacks Classic Hydro, Calcium Nitrate and epsom salt- This is your base fertilizer. It is 3 grams Jack's, 2 grams calcium nitrate, 1 gram epsom salt per gallon
3) Fulvic Acid- This helps prevent pH problems and plant stress and gives organic taste and smell. There's lots of watered down additives out there, but I recommend Mr. Fulvic because it is a concentrate and has fulvic, amino and organic acids.

The quality and yields are phenomenal. Depending on what quantities you buy, it can be $0.06-$0.10/gallon.

View attachment 1129079
Does anything change when you use Ro or rain water?

cannibinoidpadawan

cannibinoidpadawan

It consists of:

View attachment 1129079
You know, it’s funny because I had a guy school me with this concept and didn’t realize until now where it came from. I’m on my first run and from clone to 3 weeks in flower have not had a single issue with Ph, EC or overall plant stress. Shout out to Aqua for all the knowledge rather he know it or not I’ve study lots of his words!!! You guys are the shit and thanks for making it simple for us beginners 👌

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Dumb question on the homemade hammerhead 0-9-18.

The recipe calls for:

Mono Potassium Phosphate 107g
Potassium Sulphate 68g
Magnesium Sulphate 4g

I'm assuming this is per liter of water?

Anthem

Anthem

Dumb question on the homemade hammerhead 0-9-18.

The recipe calls for:

Mono Potassium Phosphate 107g
Potassium Sulphate 68g
Magnesium Sulphate 4g

I'm assuming this is per liter of water?
Those are his dry weights. Let me see if I can locate the grams per gallon of water.

Latest posts

Top Bottom