Basic Internet & Computer Security

• Thread starter c6j0e3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
c6j0e3

c6j0e3

Computer Security:

CCleaner: (http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download)

A quick, free, and easy to use programs that cleans up your computer. It can be set to wipe junk from the following:

Internet Explorer
Windows Explorer
System
Advanced (e.g. Prefetch Data, Wipe Free Space, etc.)

Not to mention, it has a built in registry cleaner, and a tools menu, which includes:

Uninstall (programs)
Startup (programs)
System Restore
Drive Wipe

Malewarebytes: (http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button)

"Detects and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more."

Did I mention, it's free?

JPEG & PNG Stripper: (http://www.steelbytes.com/?mid=30&cmd=download&pid=15&lang=eng)

"A tool for stripping/cleaning/removing uncessary metadata (junk) from JPG/JPEG/JFIF & PNG files. The image quality IS NOT AFFECTED. Includes command line support. Free to download."

Eraser: (http://eraser.heidi.ie/download.php)

"An advanced security tool for Windows which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns.

Your first thought may be that when you 'delete' the file, the data is gone. Not quite, when you delete a file, the operating system does not really remove the file from the disk; it only removes the reference of the file from the file system table. The file remains on the disk until another file is created over it, and even after that, it might be possible to recover data by studying the magnetic fields on the disk platter surface."

Once again, available at no fee.

Internet Security:

COMODO Firewall: (http://personalfirewall.comodo.com/free-download.html)

A great firewall, with basic and advanced settings, preventing your computer from being harmed by malicious websites and/or attacks. If you don't already have a firewall, this is the way to go. They offer a free version on their site!

GnuPG (http://gpg4win.org/download.html)

"For file and email encryption. Gpg4win (GNU Privacy Guard for Windows) is Free Software and can be installed with just a few mouse clicks."

Some people think that websites are secure.. this is not the case. Your email, website posts, private messages, etc. are traceable, and furthermore, readable. Even using services like "hushmail", which is supposed to be encrypted and secure, are not. The only way to ensure maximum security with your communications, is to actually encrypt your conversations. It only takes a moment to setup. Breaking the encryption is so improbable, I will utilize the term, impossible. One tip: never save the password electronically. The longer the password, and the move movements when generating the key, the higher the entropy. Write the password down. Keep it secret and keep it safe.

VPN:

Now I am not going to cover a list of every VPN, but they are an essential tool to maintaining security. There are premium VPN services, and there are free services. Most free services have bandwidth limitations. If you fit within them, great. If not, VPNs are usually really inexpensive for the amount of anonymity they provide.

A VPN creates an encrypted tunnel between you and their server. This makes it so your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is unable to see where you are visiting, only that you are connected to the VPN's server. When choosing a VPN, go for the following traits:

1) No data logging / No IP logging
2) Non-USA Based

A great premium VPN, for just under $80/yr is:

http://mullvad.net/en/

A couple free VPNs worth mentioning are:

http://www.securitykiss.com/ (Has a limit of 300mb/day bandwidth)
http://hotspotshield.com/

TOR -The Onion Router- (https://www.torproject.org/download/download.html.en)

"Tor is free software and an open network that helps you defend against a form of network surveillance that threatens personal freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and relatio nships, and state security known as traffic analysis."

SOMETHING TO REMEMBER:
When you are utilizing internet anonymity software / hardware, whether it be TOR, a VPN, SSH, SSL, etc. keep your personal and private matters separate. For example, if you are on a VPN or TOR, DO NOT:

1) Check Social Networking Sites (Myspace, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
2) Use your personal email to write sensitive material, even if PGP encrypted!
3) Login into any service that lists / posts your name!

I'll add some more tips, tutorials, and/or programs as needed, or requested.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Great work, C6. This is very important info. A must read for sure.

outwest

c6j0e3

c6j0e3

Thanks. I will be making a pictorial for how to setup and utilize GPG (as I have heard many questions about how to do so), as well as utilizing secure email addresses. I may also touch base on VM Ware (virtualization), and securing one's operating system. I would like to talk about True Crypt (partition / flash-drive encryption), for keeping documentation safe. So stay tuned, there is more to come!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
PGP? Either way, look forward to the info.

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

c6j0e3, welcome to the Farm- sharing useful goodies like these may make you popular before your time! ;)

I just so happens I've been looking for stuff like this, but being a non-computer geek, I confess I didn't know where to start. Thanks for the tips and the links!

ttystikk

ttystikk

That malwarebytes 'full scan' is a mutha- 3 1/2 hours so far and still going strong! And no, it hasn't found diddley yet. Got the free Norton with Comcast cable, maybe it's better than I gave it credit for.

0tt0

0tt0

Some very useful info and links. Thanks, we should all become well versed on the use of such programs.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My computer is somewhere between 'dinosaur' and 'doorstop.' Comin' up fast on 'boat anchor', lol! If I don't keep this fugga runnin' clean, it just won't get out of its own way. I mean, 10 minutes to boot? Who's got that kind of time? Thanks again, c6j0e3! I've just gotten through running the first two programs in the original post. I also have Ad-Aware, freeware edition- what do you think of it?

c6j0e3

c6j0e3

I have used Avast, AVG Professional, Ad-Aware Professional, Norton (many versions), McAffe, Bitdefender Internet Security, ESET, Kaspersky, and many, many other programs for Antivirus / Anti-maleware.. Malewarebytes either outperforms or performs equally with all of them. It hits everything. The professional version even offers some internet protection, as well as active protection.

As far as antivirus programs are concerned, I am currently sold that Comodo Internet Security Professional (which comes stock with antivirus) is the best antivirus / software firewall on the market. The firewall is nearly impenetrable, especially with some seasoned hands behind it.

PGP / GPG: Pretty Good Privacy. It utilizes AES-256 Bit encryption, making it relatively impossible to break. It is the ultimate tool for securely and anonymously conversing.

EDIT:

Something HUGE I forgot to list.. when on TOR, SSL, VPN, etc. DO NOT utilize JavaScript (e.g. youtube). It has the ability to eat right through your security, revealing your real IP address. It's never a good idea to mix secure connections with personal items. If anonymity is the goal, don't leave a trace. Once you are done browsing whatever it is that you connected securely for, exit it out, and then carry on as you normally would.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My computer is somewhere between 'dinosaur' and 'doorstop.' Comin' up fast on 'boat anchor', lol! If I don't keep this fugga runnin' clean, it just won't get out of its own way. I mean, 10 minutes to boot? Who's got that kind of time? Thanks again, c6j0e3! I've just gotten through running the first two programs in the original post. I also have Ad-Aware, freeware edition- what do you think of it?
If you were running an OS like Linux Ubuntu, you'd be booted up in seconds. Nor would you have to concern yourself with scans for shit like viruses, trojans, malware or spyware. No registry, so nothing can fuck up the registry.

Burn yourself a LiveCD of Ubuntu, boot off of that. Do all your internet viewing and emailing from that disk. Safer, more reliable, and CHEAPER than using any of the other methods that are put out there for Windows users.

A soft firewall is nothing more than a soft firewall, too. Make sure your home network is buttoned up tight.

If I can do it in my late 40s, then anyone can do it.

c6j0e3

c6j0e3

If one is utilizing Tor would a VPN be redundant?

I would use them simultaneously just in case some application decided to have an outgoing connection. I trust TOR, but I would want to make sure than anything outgoing, that is not passing through TOR directly, is still passing through the VPN.
To Seamaiden, linux is not immune to viruses, or varying other forms of attacks. Comparing Windows to Linux, it is incredibly more difficult to harm the Linux system.

Software firewalls are definitely inferior to hardware firewalls, but if installed properly, can still make for a hell of a defense.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
In theory, when using VPN, all data is passed between 2 points via what's called a secure tunnel. When the VPN is active, ALL communications should be passed through that secure tunnel. If it ain't there's a problem with your VPN config. Yes, a Linux box is more secure than a Windows PC, so is a Mac. A mac is also a little more user friendly than a Linux or Windows device (especially linux). Ultimately it's all personal preference. However, security should not be.

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

The breadth and edepth of expertise on this site never ceases to amaze me. CC cleaner has really helped the old doorstop run a lot better! Thanks, C6j0e3!

ralphy

ralphy

CCleaner is a great program. It's amazing how good freeware can be.

ttystikk

ttystikk

CCleaner is a great program. It's amazing how good freeware can be.

I got over the notion that paying a lot for something guarantees the best long, long ago. Now, I'm getting to the point where I believe that freeware is worth more than most of the shit they want you to pay for...

ttystikk

ttystikk

I have to agree. Free doesn't mean shit by a long run.

I think this may have a lot to do with motivation. You see, when someone works for a software company, or for that matter any company, s/he is often motivated primarily- if not solely- by their paycheck. While this leads to 'production', it certainly does not necessarily lead to 'passion'. Freeware is only developed by people WITH passion, because they see a need in the space and they fill it, paycheck or no paycheck. I wish there was a way to pay these people so they can afford more Mountain Dew and cold pizza to keep doing it!

Top Bottom