Basic Internet & Computer Security

• Thread starter c6j0e3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I should add that for PC users NOD32 is the best AV program out there, it ain't free but it is definitely the best.

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have to agree with that, except to qualify by saying that NOD32 is good for all Windows users. I'm using a PC and will never own anything MacIntosh due simply to the cost for original equipment and proprietaries.
I would use them simultaneously just in case some application decided to have an outgoing connection. I trust TOR, but I would want to make sure than anything outgoing, that is not passing through TOR directly, is still passing through the VPN.
To Seamaiden, linux is not immune to viruses, or varying other forms of attacks. Comparing Windows to Linux, it is incredibly more difficult to harm the Linux system.

Software firewalls are definitely inferior to hardware firewalls, but if installed properly, can still make for a hell of a defense.
Linux, OSX, Unix or FreeBSD--none of them are immune, absolutely true. What they are, though, is so far less likely to be subjected to attack, worms, trojans, viruses, or even the blue screen of death, that they are effectively immune. Add to that a hard firewall and that kid in South Korea or Russia is going to have a hell of a time breaking into the home LAN.

Add to all of that the fact that damn near all Linux OSs are free to download (who wants to work with Red Hat anymore, anyway?), have free software packages that usually no longer require compiling (into) the kernel, or even resolving dependencies, means you've got a suite of operating systems that should be allowing every Tom, Dick and Harry to run a tight, clean, SMOKING FAST operating system with few bugs and zero headaches associated with Windows registry shit. I know you know what I mean. It takes less than 30 seconds for my machine to boot up, too.

Why is Bill Gates one of the most wealthy men on earth? Not cuzza me!
In theory, when using VPN, all data is passed between 2 points via what's called a secure tunnel. When the VPN is active, ALL communications should be passed through that secure tunnel. If it ain't there's a problem with your VPN config. Yes, a Linux box is more secure than a Windows PC, so is a Mac. A mac is also a little more user friendly than a Linux or Windows device (especially linux). Ultimately it's all personal preference. However, security should not be.

outwest
Actually, you might want to try the latest Ubuntu, 12.04, via the LiveCD. It's amazing how user-friendly the interface is, easily as user-friendly as any Mac, and at a fraction of the cost. <she says with tongue in cheek>

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I have to agree with that, except to qualify by saying that NOD32 is good for all Windows users. I'm using a PC and will never own anything MacIntosh due simply to the cost for original equipment and proprietaries.

Linux, OSX, Unix or FreeBSD--none of them are immune, absolutely true. What they are, though, is so far less likely to be subjected to attack, worms, trojans, viruses, or even the blue screen of death, that they are effectively immune. Add to that a hard firewall and that kid in South Korea or Russia is going to have a hell of a time breaking into the home LAN.

Add to all of that the fact that damn near all Linux OSs are free to download (who wants to work with Red Hat anymore, anyway?), have free software packages that usually no longer require compiling (into) the kernel, or even resolving dependencies, means you've got a suite of operating systems that should be allowing every Tom, Dick and Harry to run a tight, clean, SMOKING FAST operating system with few bugs and zero headaches associated with Windows registry shit. I know you know what I mean. It takes less than 30 seconds for my machine to boot up, too.

Why is Bill Gates one of the most wealthy men on earth? Not cuzza me!

Actually, you might want to try the latest Ubuntu, 12.04, via the LiveCD. It's amazing how user-friendly the interface is, easily as user-friendly as any Mac, and at a fraction of the cost. <she says with tongue in cheek>

You get what you pay for. I use all three OSs on a daily basis. Cost aside use a Mac for a month then report back to me on the usability vs ANY other OS. It is truly incomparable.

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Sure. Send me a Mac and I'll try it again. Probably still won't get me to spend the insane amounts of money required to own that equipment, though. There's no way I'll ever spend money on anything Windows again.

c6j0e3

c6j0e3

I am a much bigger fan of the Comodo software for AV and software Firewall than I was of the ESET NOD32. You can get Comodo Internet Security Pro, one year subscription, for $4.99. It is fast, user-friendly, and has enough advanced settings to make it perform however you want it to.

Never been a big fan of Ubuntu or Mac. But different strokes for different folks.

ralphy

ralphy

I think this may have a lot to do with motivation. You see, when someone works for a software company, or for that matter any company, s/he is often motivated primarily- if not solely- by their paycheck. While this leads to 'production', it certainly does not necessarily lead to 'passion'. Freeware is only developed by people WITH passion, because they see a need in the space and they fill it, paycheck or no paycheck. I wish there was a way to pay these people so they can afford more Mountain Dew and cold pizza to keep doing it!

You have a good point which I tend to agree with. It never fails to amaze me how altruistic people can be.

I should add that for PC users NOD32 is the best AV program out there, it ain't free but it is definitely the best.

outwest

How about Kaspersky? They're one of the organizations that picked up that new "Flame" work that the media has been going on about. Supposed to be the most advanced piece of malware ever created.

ttystikk

ttystikk

You have a good point which I tend to agree with. It never fails to amaze me how altruistic people can be.

Me either. And yet, I run across examples of it every day... on my good days, I try to be one of them. On my rough days, I at least try to make sure I thank them for doing it.

How about Kaspersky? They're one of the organizations that picked up that new "Flame" work that the media has been going on about. Supposed to be the most advanced piece of malware ever created.

I think the Kaspersky crew found it first- and their research, along with that of others, has pointed to the strong suspicion that 'Flame' (ingeniously original espionage focus) was created by the same group that built 'Stuxnet' (ingeniously original infrstructure destruction focus). If true, that would mean that the US and Israel are certainly in the top tier of cyber warfare, if not the class of the field. So much for 'plausible deniability', however...

ralphy

ralphy

Me either. And yet, I run across examples of it every day... on my good days, I try to be one of them. On my rough days, I at least try to make sure I thank them for doing it.

I think the Kaspersky crew found it first- and their research, along with that of others, has pointed to the strong suspicion that 'Flame' (ingeniously original espionage focus) was created by the same group that built 'Stuxnet' (ingeniously original infrstructure destruction focus). If true, that would mean that the US and Israel are certainly in the top tier of cyber warfare, if not the class of the field. So much for 'plausible deniability', however...

I thought it quite shocking reading about it initially, but it makes perfect sense that countries would be employing cyber warfare as part of their arsenal. Pretty disturbing to know what government agencies are capable of. Certainly wouldn't want to attract the wrong attention...

Point being, if Kaspersky were able to find Flame first, would this not make them better than Nod32? After all, the name of the AV game is being quicker than the attackers, being better at finding and eliminating threats than competitors and providing the best defense for users.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter

In first hand testing NOD32 won out.

outwest

ralphy

ralphy

In first hand testing NOD32 won out.

outwest

Who did the testing? Seems there's always a different result depending on who does it. Never know what to make of side by side comparisons as a result.

ralphy

ralphy

It's unfortunate that running two AVs simultaneously usually isn't possible, as they probably all have their strengths and weaknesses.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Google it tystik!! A colleague did side by side across 5 top platforms.

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm tearing my hair out over my computer's stubborn refusal to stop giving me prompts, stupid drop down messages, and even flat-out refusal to display certain content, even after I give permissions over and over. WTF? And, how can I get this damned doorstop to run reasonably well again?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
1) Burn Ubuntu LiveCD.
2) Wipe drive.
3) Install Ubuntu.
4) Go on your merry way and never worry about that Windows bullshit ever again.

If you're reluctant to go ahead and wipe the drive and install Ubuntu, then just pop the LiveCD into the drive and peruse the internet, use email, etcetera, from there and see how you like it. Nothing is stored onto the harddrive or memory in any way because the OS is running from the LiveCD.

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Thnx C6, great thread!!

Confu...

reeldrag

reeldrag

I think this may have a lot to do with motivation. You see, when someone works for a software company, or for that matter any company, s/he is often motivated primarily- if not solely- by their paycheck. While this leads to 'production', it certainly does not necessarily lead to 'passion'. Freeware is only developed by people WITH passion, because they see a need in the space and they fill it, paycheck or no paycheck. I wish there was a way to pay these people so they can afford more Mountain Dew and cold pizza to keep doing it!
There is he is at my house right now cuz when it comes to computers I'm as dumb as a sack of hammers he roots phones secures computers you name it but it does come with a price 100 bucks a day (and a day is 24 hrs cuz he doesnt sleep) cases of dew and red bull along with about 10 boxes of ham and cheese hot pockets and some good meds. Its a good deal we all just split the 100 a day workes out to about 20 bucks each per day and bring everything over cell phones lap tops macs pc's ect and the cyber ninja goes to work takes hime about 3 days to root all cell phones and complete jail break them and make it so noone can peek in then he cleans up the computers and installs what ever operating system you want and he even does Ipods, guy is freaking scary. Everyone needs one of these guys or gals as a friend. he comes over 2 to 3 times a yr keeps everything super safe I figure it cost me about 10 a month to have him on retainer very cheap insurance against prying eyes. Glad he doesnt have a girl friend he might not work so cheep

ttystikk

ttystikk

There is he is at my house right now cuz when it comes to computers I'm as dumb as a sack of hammers he roots phones secures computers you name it but it does come with a price 100 bucks a day (and a day is 24 hrs cuz he doesnt sleep) cases of dew and red bull along with about 10 boxes of ham and cheese hot pockets and some good meds. Its a good deal we all just split the 100 a day workes out to about 20 bucks each per day and bring everything over cell phones lap tops macs pc's ect and the cyber ninja goes to work takes hime about 3 days to root all cell phones and complete jail break them and make it so noone can peek in then he cleans up the computers and installs what ever operating system you want and he even does Ipods, guy is freaking scary. Everyone needs one of these guys or gals as a friend. he comes over 2 to 3 times a yr keeps everything super safe I figure it cost me about 10 a month to have him on retainer very cheap insurance against prying eyes. Glad he doesnt have a girl friend he might not work so cheep

It pays to be Kind to your friends!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
This is wonderful. Thank you for bringing this info to the farm.

Top Bottom