Basic Internet & Computer Security

• Thread starter c6j0e3
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Linux is only as "safe" as the person using it.

One word for Windows. Sandboxie. Once and done. Don't ever have to waste your time with anti this and spy that. But just like this and every other program out there. You can circumvent all of them. If you don't learn what you are doing all the programs in the world aren't going to help you.

GI JO

GI JO

I need to start by saying I'm just not savvy when it comes to the inner workings of a computer. My Norton subscription is up for renewal and I really don't want to pay the fee every year. I have read all 3 of the pages here but I don't know where to start. I want to uninstall my Norton and use one of the free programs. My operating system is Vista (I know, it's older but it's what I have). So..........do I just uninstall it and then download Avast or Avg (or something similar?)

If I install another program before I get rid of Norton, will they screw each other up? Hope someone will help me out and make sure to keep it simple.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'd wipe your drive and do a dual boot, LinuxMint on one partition and the Vista on another. Unless you think you can drop Vista altogether, that is. I no longer have an operating Windows machine. Now that I have two Android devices (phone & tablet) I can do anything and everything I was keeping the fucking Windows OS for. I detest Windows, absolutely detest it.

I don't know if you can do a LiveCD with LinuxMint the way you can with Ubuntu, but basically it's an opportunity to test drive, for free, the operating system without actually installing it on your computer. Lemme go check real quick. Oh yeah, you can absolutely do it. On a DVD or USB stick.
http://livecdlist.com/linux-mint

Once you go Linux, you never have to pay for a single fucking program AGAIN! And spyware, infections, viruses, Trojans, etc, all become things of the past. Norton? Ha! AVG or Avast? Ha HA! Kapersky (one of the better antivirus proggies out there for Winders)? HA HA HA! I throw my head back and scoff.

GI JO

GI JO

You know, my mind just wants to shut right down when I look at something technical. Not sure why I am so freaked out cause the only thing I really would hate to lose are my pics and music, both of which are on a flash drive. My lovely 24 yr. old daughter just got back from Australia, we might just have to get together for a mother/daughter computer makeover day! Will keep you posted.
BTW, I'm with you on the hate Windows world!!
I used to have a friend that always said "Ha Ha Ha, I laugh at danger because I am simply Wonder Woman"

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hehheh, a good friend's daughter is returning from the Land of Oz in a little more than a week.

Look, you know what a flash drive is, and you're able to boot up. You'd be surprised at where you can go from there.

Califlower

Califlower

OP, very good information. I know quite a bit about computer networking, and a small amount about security.

As far as keeping yourself anonymous, I highly recommend (already mentioned) the Tor Browser Bundle from The Tor Project. Please read the section "Want Tor to really work?" on the download page. Also use to link to the tormail hidden service to create and use anonymous email.

So your ISP is handing over all traffic to the government? Only browse to sites secured by SSL/TLS, meaning the site will start with https. You can then verify the fingerprint of the certificate to ensure your local network isn't decrypting all of your traffic without your knowledge, see the GRC page for more: https://www.grc.com/fingerprints.htm

Don't use your ISP's DNS servers. In your router, or on your computer, manually assign your DNS servers to something else you trust, perhaps OpenNIC http://www.opennicproject.org/

Even using Tor, without changing your DNS servers, your ISP knows what domain you are looking up and it is all logged.

The SSL certificate fingerprint for www.thcfarmer.com is:

Code:
3F:6A:4C:79:AC:00:4C:60:FA:8F:19:FA:DC:AD:F2:A0:92:DF:85:94

If you are getting something else, you are not safe.

Don't use the same user name or password anywhere else, duh!

Using a Linux Live USB or disc AND the Tor Browser Bundle AND alternate DNS servers is recommended.

If I think of anything else, I will reply.

peace and love,

Califlower

P.S. See here for which DNS servers DO NOT KEEP LOGS -

Califlower

Califlower

I have another method for keeping safe using DNS... don't use it. Assume the NSA is keeping a copy of all internet traffic by strong-arming those companies who control the Internet backbone. Or suppose at your ISP some entity is watching all of your traffic. Now Tor will hide your IP from web sites you visit, and HTTPS will encrypt all web traffic, but even if you use a DNS server that doesn't keep logs, the query and response can still be intercepted by your ISP, so I have come up with another method, actually 2 methods.

First, open up your Tor Browser Bundle folder and start Tor. Next use Startpage search (always use this) to find a HTTPS web site that allows you to do a network ping from that web page. I will give you one if you are stuck. Anyway, at that point ping the name of the web server, i.e. www.thcfarmer.com The response will include the IP address of the server. From time to time, administrators change which IP address is resolved by a domain name, which is one reason we use DNS.

Now, take the IP address and simply put it in your web browser title bar, include the https, e.g.

Your browser should freak about the site certificate not matching (because you are using an IP address instead of the name), view the details of who the certificate is issued to, and put your mind at ease. Check the fingerprint if you want.

Now you are getting here without using DNS. OR you can add an entry to your hosts file. Your system will resolve using the hosts file first, before DNS, that's what it is for. If you are using a Linux Live system, the hosts file won't be saved at reboot though.

peace!

Califlower

Califlower

Califlower

OK, I wasn't thinking clearly when I made that last post. Forget what I said about bookmarking the IP address, or typing it in. Obviously the first time you enter it fine... but if you click any link on the site, it will have to resolve.

Sooo, you can just use your hosts file. Check wikipedia for details, but basically add an entry:

Code:
67.215.3.178 www.thcfarmer.com

Linux may require configuring nsswitch.conf also.

peace

GI JO

GI JO

Well, after reading all 3 pages, I am officially computer stupid! I'd better go find myself a 20 something (or younger) person. Lordy, lordy:banghead:

R

ReCway

so if i download tor , does that mean I can post pics on this website with leaving a trace

Natural

Natural

so if i download tor , does that mean I can post pics on this website with leaving a trace

personally would never use TOR..do some reading...the TOR nodes (exit and entrance) are viewed by government on the regular.
IP masks are great..this site doesn't log IP's, but if you're being filtered(intercepted) you could be traced. Try using http://www.hidemyass.com/ you can use their proxy for free and even check your IP externally to make sure it shows up different. The paid versions will allow you to upload files with size e.g. torrents.

Top Bottom