Been having a few problems

• Thread starter DazedNconfused78
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Im in ontario canada, in a small town too. I know all about the lack of hydro resources LOL. And remember with soil, you need to buy all that soil. Every time. Soil also attracts way more pests growing indoors. Personally i think you should sell your res on kijiji or craigslist or whatever the fuck and use an upright 55gallon drum that you keep iutside the tent. Its only about 120 bucks canadian for the barrel. Even a rain barrel will work as long as you have a lid/cover for it. And no. More blades on the leaves are a GOOD thing. Plants only do thay when they are happy and can handle more light. It means they are growing very well. Its important to note that the number of lobes on a leaf can be genetic but the general rule about happiness still applies. I had an outdoor plant a long while ago that got too much phosphorus and under the summer sun she statyed growing leaves with only 1 lobe to them and they werent serrated. It looked like the plant was monstercropped and going back into veg. And yeah gimme a sec to look at those pics
My bad. I meant. Bad cell signal. Do i wait for the 9 leaves to come in and then top?

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

My bad. I meant bad cell signal. So when should i top my plants? When they are starting to get the leve that are the full sets? 5,7,9,etc.?

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Looks great bud. I cant see anything wrong with them. They look quite healthy. Personally i would be topping them all right now and removing 2 big fan leaves so that the laterals (side branches) can start growing tall now too. (And then I'll top them too) tops tops tops lots o tops. But it depends on your grow style too. I manifold my plants and grow im a scrog setup.. with just those 6 plants you could easily have 64 large tops if you top each plant 3 times. Plants looks great bud, very healthy. That bit of droop is normal during the dark.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I start topping once they have their 3rd set of real leaves. Usually around 7 to 9 lobes. As long as it has its 3rd set of real leaves. The first 2 leaves after the cotyledons dont count. Then i genrally let another 3 or 4 nodes grow before topping again. Then repeat 1 more time and boom 8 tops per plant. (I think 8 is the optimal number of tops for your space/plant count. What light are you using btw? Im curious.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Looks great bud. I cant see anything wrong with them. They look quite healthy. Personally i would be topping them all right now and removing 2 big fan leaves so that the laterals (side branches) can start growing tall now too. (And then I'll top them too) tops tops tops lots o tops. But it depends on your grow style too. I manifold my plants and grow im a scrog setup.. with just those 6 plants you could easily have 64 large tops if you top each plant 3 times. Plants looks great bud, very healthy. That bit of droop is normal during the dark.
Awesome. How do i know WHICH fan leaves to take?

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Yeah bud, they look healthy and happy. Now stop shining light on them during the dark period. Plants slowly adjust and recognise there is no light and start flowering however, they notice any light and instantly realise it. So every time there is any light leak, its likit sets the plants back several hours. I hope i explained that in a way that you jinda understand LOL

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

I start topping once they have their 3rd set of real leaves. Usually around 7 to 9 lobes. As long as it has its 3rd set of real leaves. The first 2 leaves after the cotyledons dont count. Then i genrally let another 3 or 4 nodes grow before topping again. Then repeat 1 more time and boom 8 tops per plant. (I think 8 is the optimal number of tops for your space/plant count. What light are you using btw? Im curious.
640w Grow station pro. I think. May just be the regular one. There is a sticker where i think the word pro is.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Yeah bud, they look healthy and happy. Now stop shining light on them during the dark period. Plants slowly adjust and recognise there is no light and start flowering however, they notice any light and instantly realise it. So every time there is any light leak, its likit sets the plants back several hours. I hope i explained that in a way that you jinda understand LOL
Yes. Lol. I am an over lover. Ill relax. Am changging the nutes to growing schedule this weekend also.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Awesome. How do i know WHICH fan leaves to take?
You meed to use tour judgement for this. Leaves are the solar panels, yiu dont want to get rid of any you dont need to. So look at the branches and see where the tops are. Then if there is a leaf blocking that branch from the light, snip snip. At this size dont take more than 2 leaves per plant. You can take way more once theyre established but we dont want to stress them too much right now

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

I know the feeling. You just wish that they needed to be fed or trimmed or topped or trained or something just so you can play with them. Yeah, ive been doing this 15 years and i still get that feeling. I love it, its an amazing plant in so many ways. I really like seeing someone that has that same passion to grow. Just let me know any way i can help you along.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

And then thats when i use the scrog and push them all back down and train them?

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

The purple cheese under the bed has had 24 hour light since they germinated. Is that right? It's only 70° in our house. Im afraid they will be too cold.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

BTW....My hydro plants will be going on only their sixth week of life after germination.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Youre exaclty right about scrog. What i do is i let the top poke up through a square and once it will reach i bend it down and pull it up through the next square over. Keep doing this all the way through 2md or 3rd week of flowering. As you move branches farther out a new one groes up through the hole you just pulled one out of and then when the new growth is tall enough, move it just like the rest. Your goal is to have 1 top in each square by the endy of 3rd week of flower.l and to have the canopy as flat and uniform as you can get. After that its time to let them stretch and flower. I personally defoliate. Its a contreversi topic round here but ill cover the pros and cons sp you can decide whats right for you.......

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Some people believe that leaving every leaf on the plant is more beneficial because the leaves are the "solar panels" for the plant so their idea is that leaving them all on lets the plant absorb more light, wven if the leaves are overlapping, apparently. There is some merit to this though as leaving it alone does not stress the plant. At first.
Also, a lot of people against defoliating are against it because they tried it before, did it wrong and removed too many and then complained thay "defoliation ruins your yield". Nope, defoliating did not ruin your yield, you stripping the plant bare did.

Now allow me to explain why i choose to defoliate and how i believe it should be done.... firstly, the principle of defoliation is a a simple one. Leave as many leaves on as you can AS LONG AS they are not blocking a growth tip/node and as long as you have sufficoent airflow through the plant. So first, look down at your canopy from above. If you get to the point where you can see your table/soil/hydroton/floor then you have removed too many. Remember, anywhere that your light is hitting the floor is wasted energy, a space where a leaf could be soaking it up. So use your judgement and get a feel for what the girls want but just focus on 2 main ideas, remove any leaves thatvare blocking growth tips from the light while making sure that you dont remove any that yoi dont need to
You also want to try to oncrease airflow through the plants to decrease the chance of bud rot.

DreamwalkerJ

DreamwalkerJ

Oh and your light looks like it will do a decent job but....... (sorry to do this to ya) but its completely missing the 380nm UV-B spectrum, which you want. Aside from making the plant sticky to attract pollen, the trichomes are a defensive mechanism that protects the plant from cold and UV-B light. The more UV-B light that you hit them with in flower, the more trichomes they grow to protect themselves from it. Just a little tip for you.

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Oh and your light looks like it will do a decent job but....... (sorry to do this to ya) but its completely missing the 380nm UV-B spectrum, which you want. Aside from making the plant sticky to attract pollen, the trichomes are a defensive mechanism that protects the plant from cold and UV-B light. The more UV-B light that you hit them with in flower, the more trichomes they grow to protect themselves from it. Just a little tip for you.
So my light will not produce the trichomes its suppose to? Can i buy something to supplement that light?

DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Some people believe that leaving every leaf on the plant is more beneficial because the leaves are the "solar panels" for the plant so their idea is that leaving them all on lets the plant absorb more light, wven if the leaves are overlapping, apparently. There is some merit to this though as leaving it alone does not stress the plant. At first.
Also, a lot of people against defoliating are against it because they tried it before, did it wrong and removed too many and then complained thay "defoliation ruins your yield". Nope, defoliating did not ruin your yield, you stripping the plant bare did.

Now allow me to explain why i choose to defoliate and how i believe it should be done.... firstly, the principle of defoliation is a a simple one. Leave as many leaves on as you can AS LONG AS they are not blocking a growth tip/node and as long as you have sufficoent airflow through the plant. So first, look down at your canopy from above. If you get to the point where you can see your table/soil/hydroton/floor then you have removed too many. Remember, anywhere that your light is hitting the floor is wasted energy, a space where a leaf could be soaking it up. So use your judgement and get a feel for what the girls want but just focus on 2 main ideas, remove any leaves thatvare blocking growth tips from the light while making sure that you dont remove any that yoi dont need to
You also want to try to oncrease airflow through the plants to decrease the chance of bud rot.
I love the idea of defoliating. I grew 1 garden in my life and my ex father in law showed me how to defoliate my tomato plants and i used a 6 foot tall galvanized cattle panel to train them on. I had some bad ass tomatoes. Don't remember if it was you i told about that or someone else. Anyways. So i have a ton of new growth under those really big fan leaves. I snipped 2 off each plant and left the two bigger fan leaves above. Looks pretty good i think. My second grow will be way different. Im already going to do a couple different things with my tent for setup. My res thing. Getting my table almost down to the floor. Then having an air conditioner too. I will have it at some point quick for this grow. But its almost $700. I have 4 kids. Lol. Married. Bills to pay. We live in Missouri. The weather is pretty good here. Hotter more humid summers and cooler dryer winters. I live in a condo. I sleep next to my tent. But i built my bed and with mattress and everything it comes to my chest. That's not saying much. Im only 5 foot 8. Lol. Anyway. I can do all of my seedling stuff under there. Thinking of getting a little seedling tent. Just because of the light.

Top Bottom