Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Pretty nice 24 hour progression.
View attachment 1053930 View attachment 1053939

Hittin' the feels running my beluga 240 over these girls...😏

Camera shenanigans.
View attachment 1053932

Anyone know, is there a more compatible file format for media uploads? I have these things cancel out on me all the time... seems like it takes me an hour to coax the server into cooperating... 🤔
Then I wonder if I'm bogging shit down and having a webmaster 😡🤬🤬
Pretty sure it's just taking your file and compressing it and renaming it...so you might as well just go web friendly and lower res.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Woah! Just looked into that... I had no idea...
I don't, although it has always been pretty fascinating.

Funny though, I'm a graphic designer by trade and 80% of my work is making instrument panels, decals, and stencils for Boeing helicopters.
🤯

Wow, synchronicity anyone! l

beluga

beluga

It's nice flipping on the 1st of the month...
Day 10 Fleur
DSC 1475
DSC 1485

I'm asking for trouble not monitoring anything.
Some of the fan leaf stems have purpled a bit, so, I reckon it's a little chilly for their liking.

beluga

beluga

What he said 👆
Come to think of it, I've had purple stems in a box that I thought was due to heat stress. Didn't ever make that LED correlation.
Thanks!

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

NYC Diesel tastes and smells like Sprite syrup more than diesels.

See now i had nyc D 10 years ago it was grapefruit through n through taste and smell.....now im sure it was the original seed stock the guy got the seeds from...i could be wrong though....

beluga

beluga

The Mrs will have either so long as it doesn't have the characteristic diesel smell.
Bit of a bummer cause I'm pretty crazy about smoking it.
Though, I do agree with her, it can get out of hand if your house smells like it all the time and it seems to be a more permeating aroma that filters struggle with removing entirely.

Flexnerb

Flexnerb

Your set up is impeccable. I like it! How big is the tent? The light set up is tits.

Would be nice if a guy could put together a set up like yours that moves theta beta and xyz folds up, in and around like octopus arms. That way a guy could get the lower parts coverage from underneath....if i was exp/smarter i could explain it better. Im sure you get the gist though....looking fuckin good!!!

I love the sour D! Wish i had an original cut or something very close. I had a sage n sour that was heavy sour D couldnt get it to clone though spent a few weeks trying.
Everything else in the room cloned ... oh well!

beluga

beluga

Your set up is impeccable. I like it! How big is the tent? The light set up is tits.

Would be nice if a guy could put together a set up like yours that moves theta beta and xyz folds up, in and around like octopus arms. That way a guy could get the lower parts coverage from underneath....if i was exp/smarter i could explain it better. Im sure you get the gist though....looking fuckin good!!!

I love the sour D! Wish i had an original cut or something very close. I had a sage n sour that was heavy sour D couldnt get it to clone though spent a few weeks trying.
Everything else in the room cloned ... oh well!
Thanks man!

Mostly just some stuff pieced together from years of cheap closet grows to get me by.

This tent's a 4' x 8' that I briefly used to grow oyster mushrooms a while back.

I get what you're saying about the light and I've definitely had daydreams of something similar... like a 3D modular sort of rig that you could adjust the lights in all directions to cater to the plants needs.
I'm coming off of screw-in LEDs though, so this is enough of a step up to keep me happy for now🤣

The only other grower I ever knew in-person gave me a clone of Sour Diesel #2 and god damn was it gassy. Smoke was grade A; growing it was like having a fucking refinery in my 2 bedroom apartment.

beluga

beluga

In this session of
beluga Satisfies His Curiosity 🤔🤨

Molasses - What's the deal?

So, we've probably all heard mention of using it as an amendment/fertilizer.
Either...
• the plants absorb the sugars for their own use​
• it helps to feed beneficial microbes in the soil​
• it provides a natural mineral nutrient additive​
Simple enough logic.
But, I heard mention that... No. That logic is flawed and, in reality...
• the sugar molecules in that form are too large for plant roots to absorb, and​
• your feeding the beneficial microbes in the soil also feeds harmful microbes in the soil​
• the mineral content that they have is likely already in your soil in adequate levels​
Also simple logic.
Especially the microbe part.
Every... thing! is teeming with microbes (😏). Good, bad, benign. And, in soil mechanics, your aim is to create a healthy population of good microbes so that they maintain an ecosystem that is favorable to plant roots.
Adding something like the sugars readily available in molasses would only prove to create a 'bloom' - a frenzy of feeding and accelerated reproduction - that could easily imbalance your soil microbiome and give harmful microbes a leading edge.

From this consumer article:
Microbes are opportunistic in that their populations will increase and decrease as the conditions change. Let’s assume you have not been doing too much in the garden so conditions are not changing. In that case the microbe populations remain steady. Things are chugging along at a normal pace and everybody is happy.

Now you dump a lot of molasses on the garden. Instantly, microbes sense the extra food and they start to multiply. Bacteria can divide (ie double the population) every 20 minutes. The population explodes very quickly. All those bacteria need to eat, and they quickly consume the molasses you added. As the food source runs out there is a massive famine and most of the bacteria die.

What has the molasses accomplished?

Not much. It is true that all of the dead bacteria go on to feed other microbes, and they help build soil structure. The minerals in the molasses stay in the soil and plants can use them, but your soil probably had enough calcium and iron before you added the molasses. The vitamins in molasses are of no value to plants.
I'd love to find more technical articles on that. It proved hard for me to get the right key words in my searches to bring up anything significant.

I'd also love to find more on the sugar molecule size and the uptake of any sugars, but, as far my logic would take me, you really don't have to look much further than the wikipedia articles on photosynthesis and roots give yourself a correlative reason as to why plants might not absorb sugars in a form like that of molasses through their roots.

A little bit on the action of sugar uptake that roots do have can be found in this article.
Plant roots are able to absorb sugars from the rhizosphere but also release sugars and other metabolites that are critical for growth and environmental signaling. Reabsorption of released sugar molecules could help reduce the loss of photosynthetically fixed carbon through the roots. Although biochemical analyses have revealed monosaccharide uptake mechanisms in roots, the transporters that are involved in this process have not yet been fully characterized
Therefore, we hypothesize that STP13 reabsorbs monosaccharides that leak from damaged root epidermal cells to increase the cellular osmotic pressure or to reduce the loss of nutrients for the adaptation against conditions of osmotic stress.
I believe that is to say that they (roots) utilize certain sugars (created in photosynthesis) to aide in their general absorption and, when damaged, they leak those sugars to prevent the loss of nutrients. Those sugars can then be later reabsorbed.

Now, one critical thing I'd be remiss to not mention is its (molasses) action as a control for root knot nematodes, a plant disease/contamination.
From this article.
Although our results suggest a potential benefit from organic amendments in reducing nematode damage on tomatoes, more work will be required before these materials can be reliably used under commercial conditions to obtain nematode control. The application rates used in our experiments were relatively high and strategies involving repeated applications of smaller quantities of organic materials over longer periods should be tested. The long-term costs and benefits of applying organic amendments also require thorough evaluation, while optimum application rates, performance on soils other than fertile clay loams, mechanisms of action, rates of development and decline of suppressiveness and impacts of organic amendments on other soil-borne pathogens are some of the other areas requiring further research.
So, basically, they haven't found it to be effective enough to be practical yet.

My takeaway from all of this is that...
Molasses belongs in the pantry, not in the nutrient line-up.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
In this session of
beluga Satisfies His Curiosity 🤔🤨

Molasses - What's the deal?

So, we've probably all heard mention of using it as an amendment/fertilizer.
Either...
• the plants absorb the sugars for their own use​
• it helps to feed beneficial microbes in the soil​
• it provides a natural mineral nutrient additive​
Simple enough logic.
But, I heard mention that... No. That logic is flawed and, in reality...
• the sugar molecules in that form are too large for plant roots to absorb, and​
• your feeding the beneficial microbes in the soil also feeds harmful microbes in the soil​
• the mineral content that they have is likely already in your soil in adequate levels​
Also simple logic.
Especially the microbe part.
Every... thing! is teeming with microbes (😏). Good, bad, benign. And, in soil mechanics, your aim is to create a healthy population of good microbes so that they maintain an ecosystem that is favorable to plant roots.
Adding something like the sugars readily available in molasses would only prove to create a 'bloom' - a frenzy of feeding and accelerated reproduction - that could easily imbalance your soil microbiome and give harmful microbes a leading edge.

From this consumer article:

I'd love to find more technical articles on that. It proved hard for me to get the right key words in my searches to bring up anything significant.

I'd also love to find more on the sugar molecule size and the uptake of any sugars, but, as far my logic would take me, you really don't have to look much further than the wikipedia articles on photosynthesis and roots give yourself a correlative reason as to why plants might not absorb sugars in a form like that of molasses through their roots.

A little bit on the action of sugar uptake that roots do have can be found in this article.

I believe that is to say that they (roots) utilize certain sugars to aide in their general absorption and, when damaged, they leak those sugars to prevent the loss of nutrients. Those sugars can then be later reabsorbed.

Now, one critical thing I'd be remiss to not mention is its (molasses) action as a control for root knot nematodes, a plant disease/contamination.
From this article.

So, basically, they haven't found it to be effective enough to be practical yet.

My takeaway from all of this is that...
Molasses belongs in the pantry, not in the nutrient line-up.
Definitely food for thought.

I do wonder about the difference between containers and in gardens.

Also.....blooming up a population bigger than you need it seems almost like shuffling a deck of cards to me. Sometimes useful! If the plant is essentially cultivating its root system microenvironment via exudations at the root level then taking the work off of getting to a homeostasis seems worthwhile. Once it's there, leaving it alone unless there's a problem seems smart too.

beluga

beluga

Definitely food for thought.

I do wonder about the difference between containers and in gardens.

Also.....blooming up a population bigger than you need it seems almost like shuffling a deck of cards to me. Sometimes useful! If the plant is essentially cultivating its root system microenvironment via exudations at the root level then taking the work off of getting to a homeostasis seems worthwhile. Once it's there, leaving it alone unless there's a problem seems smart too.
For sure. As a mineral additive, I could see it being beneficial. But this info would suggest that you're probably even more prone to critically imbalancing that microbiome.

edit: Just saw the last part. My take on that is that there are probably more surefire ways to go about it... like compost/teas and the like.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom