beluga logs it all et al

• Thread starter beluga
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
beluga

beluga

I try to do most of the LST/HST stuff before flipping, but I'll admit to having very limited experience. Limonene I think is the name of that terp, I had some Fruity Pebbles OG recently that went heavily in that vein...delicious hash off that one
Yeah.. I'm falling into bad old habits with letting this grow get out of hand. It is, admittedly, just a stopgap to pull a little something while I piece together a more organized system... I still haven't even taken pH or put a thermohygrometer in there 😬.
Ideally, I'd prefer to not have the need to trim, train, or manipulate anything but one topping early on, but... gotta roll with them punches.

Apt name for that terpene... I have yet to study up on those.
I was just pleasantly (and skeptically) surprised because I figured the seeds came from a bogus source who threw popular labels on random bagseeds.

beluga

beluga

I knew that terpene sounded (obviously) familiar... didn't think there would be a connection in such distinctly different plants, but cannabis is just fucking magical.

So, the essential oil of lemon (rich in limonenes) can be taken with hallucinogens to (I believe) suppress certain activities of your 5-HT receptors that are responsible for anxiety and nausea.
In my (admittedly maybe a little too thorough) experience, it works wonders especially for mescaline cacti that are notoriously rough on your gut (where those neurotransmitters are - your enteric nervous system, or, "second brain"). But also helps with psilocybin/psilocin mushrooms and ayahuasca.

Just a mental note and a little nugget some may find useful.

Also makes me wonder, since I have chronic anxiety / OCD / bipolarism, if it's these high limonene-containing varieties that do me right... cause some varieties definitely send me into a near-psychosis and some chill me the fuck out and help me function worlds better in my day-to-day.
...I have a rocky relationship with our dear cultivar...

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I knew that terpene sounded (obviously) familiar... didn't think there would be a connection in such distinctly different plants, but cannabis is just fucking magical.

So, the essential oil of lemon (rich in limonenes) can be taken with hallucinogens to (I believe) suppress certain activities of your 5-HT receptors that are responsible for anxiety and nausea.
In my (admittedly maybe a little too thorough) experience, it works wonders especially for mescaline cacti that are notoriously rough on your gut (where those neurotransmitters are - your enteric nervous system, or, "second brain"). But also helps with psilocybin/psilocin mushrooms and ayahuasca.

Just a mental note and a little nugget some may find useful.

Also makes me wonder, since I have chronic anxiety / OCD / bipolarism, if it's these high limonene-containing varieties that do me right... cause some varieties definitely send me into a near-psychosis and some chill me the fuck out and help me function worlds better in my day-to-day.
...I have a rocky relationship with our dear cultivar...
Dude yes. Nyc diesel is my example of a very high limonene antianxiety strain.

beluga

beluga

Dude yes. Nyc diesel is my example of a very high limonene antianxiety strain.
Looks like I'll need better carbon filtration...
The Mrs gets wicked headaches from the diesel variety smells... she smokes all but twice a year, so I have to keep her happy since she's so forgiving with all of my weird projects.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Looks like I'll need better carbon filtration...
The Mrs gets wicked headaches from the diesel variety smells... she smokes all but twice a year, so I have to keep her happy since she's so forgiving with all of my weird projects.
Lol does she like edibles? My wife rarely smokes but she has become an edible machine, especially since harvest. The Levo II I bought has gotten a ton of use hahaha.

beluga

beluga

Lol does she like edibles? My wife rarely smokes but she has become an edible machine, especially since harvest. The Levo II I bought has gotten a ton of use hahaha.
Haha, nah, she's kind of a spaz and also has high anxiety but manages it with other herbs and supplements.
Actually, P. cubensis mushroom microdoses do wonders for her if she's having a particularly rough day and they are sub-perceptive, which she particularly likes. She actually has an insane tolerance to psilocybin.. I've seen her take down 1/8th and just feel a little body high while I'm falling through the couch and incorporating into the fractal makeup of the velvet...
Probably all connected.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Haha, nah, she's kind of a spaz and also has high anxiety but manages it with other herbs and supplements.
Actually, P. cubensis mushroom microdoses do wonders for her if she's having a particularly rough day and they are sub-perceptive, which she particularly likes. She actually has an insane tolerance to psilocybin.. I've seen her take down 1/8th and just feel a little body high while I'm falling through the couch and incorporating into the fractal makeup of the velvet...
Probably all connected.
Holy crap.

I am retired from that because lexapro makes my life a lot more functional, but i used to like hallucinogens in my twenties.

I had never even heard of someone with that strong of a psilocybin tolerance lol.

beluga

beluga

Yeah, for whatever reason, ever since I was a little kid, I've always been averse to pharmaceuticals. Was the little bub who refused cold medicine or tylenol - just sleep for me, thank you!
That persisted into my early adolescence when the hormone imbalance started getting wild in tandem with a messy family life. Queue cannabis and, shortly after, mushrooms. They pretty much did the trick in conjunction with regular exercise.
I don't macrodose very much anymore. Only for those intense therapy sessions... which, given the state of the world, might be coming up here soon.

And, yeah, she and her brothers are all freaks like that! I've since found it's a little more normal than I used to think, but still odd to me. I say, 'probably connected', because she's likely got something going on with her serotonin receptors... similar to how SSRI interactions render the substance ineffective.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Yeah, for whatever reason, ever since I was a little kid, I've always been averse to pharmaceuticals. Was the little bub who refused cold medicine or tylenol - just sleep for me, thank you!
That persisted into my early adolescence when the hormone imbalance started getting wild in tandem with a messy family life. Queue cannabis and, shortly after, mushrooms. They pretty much did the trick in conjunction with regular exercise.
I don't macrodose very much anymore. Only for those intense therapy sessions... which, given the state of the world, might be coming up here soon.

And, yeah, she and her brothers are all freaks like that! I've since found it's a little more normal than I used to think, but still odd to me. I say, 'probably connected', because she's likely got something going on with her serotonin receptors... similar to how SSRI interactions render the substance ineffective.
The brain is fascinating. My father has deep brain stimulation probes in his brain bc parkinson's and...I mean the way the programs affect his personality and entire being is just absolutely bonkers. Like not just that the shaking goes 60-0 in seconds...but he's just a different dude. Irritability level. Humor. Motivation. Obsessiveness. Like that.

And yeah your theory about her brain and its response is, like you said, doubtlessly all linked.

beluga

beluga

It is wild. And, for that reason, it is kind of heartening that the research into psychedelics is getting more forward momentum.
No doubt we've fostered that ethnogenic relationship over the millennia for a good purpose. Time to start accepting it back into our lives and using it responsibly.

beluga

beluga

Since I was on the topic of how little I knew about terpenes, I wanted to bookmark some mind-numbing reference articles to dredge through and try to commit to memory at some point/over time.

Terpenes in Cannabis sativa – From plant genome to humans

Cannabinoids and Terpenes as Chemotaxonomic Markers in Cannabis

The Genetic Structure of Marijuana and Hemp

Phytocannabinoids: a unified critical inventory

Definitely enough for an overview and they all have external references to swaths of other great pertinent information.
I don't see a practical use for any of these (for myself, as a hobby horticulturist)... just feeding that human thirst to observe smaller and smaller and smaller.

beluga

beluga

Too excited about this... 😬😬😎🤪😴

20201105 005325
20201105 005500

It's only 240W and I'm rather dissatisfied with the professionalism I put into it, but I'm prideful (and tired) enough - now having it flip on and dim properly on the first fire-up - to not listen to that naysaying part of my ego.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Since I was on the topic of how little I knew about terpenes, I wanted to bookmark some mind-numbing reference articles to dredge through and try to commit to memory at some point/over time.

Terpenes in Cannabis sativa – From plant genome to humans

Cannabinoids and Terpenes as Chemotaxonomic Markers in Cannabis

The Genetic Structure of Marijuana and Hemp

Phytocannabinoids: a unified critical inventory

Definitely enough for an overview and they all have external references to swaths of other great pertinent information.
I don't see a practical use for any of these (for myself, as a hobby horticulturist)... just feeding that human thirst to observe smaller and smaller and smaller.
Nice resources! And yeah, i think it's denser and denser to the level of intermixture of liquids (spirit-uality?).

Also just making sure you saw this as it's easily digestible.

The video is great.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
What'd I say about that weird duality of mine... for whatever reason, I see college ruled paper and just...

But, thank you, that is nice and straightforward and digestible.

edit: didn't even realize it was grid paper! 🤦‍♂️
My father in law was an engineer and had these pads of paper at his house....when he passed i started using them as a kind of sentimentality, but I really like them actually. The grid is more useful for me.

beluga

beluga

Totally agreed.
I use grid paper pretty often because I have to help people work out technical drawings... you wouldn't think that easily scaling would also help in writing, but I guess organization is organization any way about it, and when you have a concise 1:1, your brain's just like 'ahhh....'

Makes me think of these
Power of Ten Base 10 Blocks Math Counting

and how much I want a set for no good reason other than to find them in weird nooks of my house from the cats batting them around.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Totally agreed.
I use grid paper pretty often because I have to help people work out technical drawings... you wouldn't think that easily scaling would also help in writing, but I guess organization is organization any way about it, and when you have a concise 1:1, your brain's just like 'ahhh....'

Makes me think of these
View attachment 1052307
and how much I want a set for no good reason other than to find them in weird nooks of my house from the cats batting them around.
Ow my feet

beluga

beluga

Another little reference blurb to satisfy my curiosity...

Flushing seems to be a lot of the hubbub going on around here as of late (probably always, given its controversial status).

It would seem that, basically:
Yes - flushing can remove salt buildup that can lead to harsher bud.
No - flushing cannot remove some controversial substances such a PGRs (plant growth regulators) that systemically incorporate themselves into the plant’s structure.

…as suspected.

Growing practices and the use of potentially harmfulchemical additives
(This article is a little less intense, but still seems to be based off of some good citation.)

... we understand that while flushing may be used to correct a nutrient imbalance or remove accumulated salts because most PGRs are systemic, flushing does not remove them from the plant ...
I did cross-reference and there seems to be unanimous agreement with this stance.

Now, my adjacent curiosity was the effect of flushing used to prompt the plant into releasing extra terminal phytochemicals. I.e. - loading up the terpenoids, cannabinoids, etc.
We know that many of these products are due to environmental/stress factors, so, it would only stand to reason that a critical lack of nutrients would also initiate their production.

That curiosity was somewhat satisfied by consumer articles like,
This
My crop-boosting feeding-lighting-flushing program is based on the fact that in the final weeks of bloom cycle (also known as late bloom phase), cannabis that experiences moderate nitrogen deficit produces more cannabinoids and terpenoids. Research also indicates that a moderate drop in all essential nutrient elements stimulates cannabinoid and terpenoid production.
I'd like to dig into the source of this "fact". Strong statement.

This
Flushing your plants can add to their scent and flavour by removing excess nutrients. Nutrients can build up in the flowers and overpower the natural flavours produced by the strain.
And This
If you skip [flushing], you may fail to bring out the organoleptic properties of your buds, which could even harm your health when you smoke them. This is because nutrient-rich plant tissue releases a carcinogenic compound known as nitrosamine during combustion.

So, while they didn't all give me much to confirm or deny my working environmental/stress theory, they did give a little more insight into the actual efficacy of flushing. Like...

• Removing nutrient concentrations that interfere with phytochemical expression.
• The harmfulness of nitrosamine
• The term "organoleptic" which is, via wikipedia
Organoleptic properties are the aspects of food, water or other substances that create an individual experience via the senses—including taste, sight, smell, and touch
And, in favor of my theory, the "fact":
• Nitrogen deficiencies prompt cannabinoid and terpenoid production.

Top Bottom