beluga logs it all et al

• Thread starter beluga
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Another little reference blurb to satisfy my curiosity...

Flushing seems to be a lot of the hubbub going on around here as of late (probably always, given its controversial status).

It would seem that, basically:
Yes - flushing can remove salt buildup that can lead to harsher bud.
No - flushing cannot remove some controversial substances such a PGRs (plant growth regulators) that systemically incorporate themselves into the plant’s structure.

…as suspected.

Growing practices and the use of potentially harmfulchemical additives
(This article is a little less intense, but still seems to be based off of some good citation.)

I did cross-reference and there seems to be unanimous agreement with this stance.

Now, my adjacent curiosity was the effect of flushing used to prompt the plant into releasing extra terminal phytochemicals. I.e. - loading up the terpenoids, cannabinoids, etc.
We know that many of these products are due to environmental/stress factors, so, it would only stand to reason that a critical lack of nutrients would also initiate their production.

That curiosity was somewhat satisfied by consumer articles like,
This

I'd like to dig into the source of this "fact". Strong statement.

This

And This

So, while they didn't all give me much to confirm or deny my working environmental/stress theory, they did give a little more insight into the actual efficacy of flushing. Like...

• Removing nutrient concentrations that interfere with phytochemical expression.
• The harmfulness of nitrosamine
• The term "organoleptic" which is, via wikipedia

And, in favor of my theory, the "fact":
• Nitrogen deficiencies prompt cannabinoid and terpenoid production.
Great stuff! I wonder how this plays vs the reason for production of terps etc in the first place.

My first thought: attracted bugs come, some die, they fall into soil and provide sustenance for the plant.....or they don't die and assist pollination, because the plant knows it does not have long left.

Both hypotheses seem like they might exert selective pressure?

beluga

beluga

Great stuff! I wonder how this plays vs the reason for production of terps etc in the first place.

My first thought: attracted bugs come, some die, they fall into soil and provide sustenance for the plant.....or they don't die and assist pollination, because the plant knows it does not have long left.

Both hypotheses seem like they might exert selective pressure?

Definitely makes sense. Rabbit hole alert 😵...
I also recall reading about how greens (I think it was specifically kale in the study) eaten up by insects showed remarkably higher nutrient/phytochemical concentration as compared to those unharmed... because, of course! They're gonna send extra resources to those areas as an immune response. Which, we crafty humans, are then like 🤤🥴 - have at it, bugs... but only so much!

edit:
Oh, speaking of that 🐇🕳...
Supercropping... 🤔

Last edited:
beluga

beluga

😎

20201105 175240

20201105 175708

20201105 180350

20201105 180610

20201105 180710

beluga

beluga

Wish I could stay in here all night...
20201105 221239

I feel like they're already noticeably responding.

Man... I'm really glad blurple wasn't the technology that ended up being the leader in the field. Those things really bothered me... kept me from ever wanting to look at my plants.

I'll like to eventually add some of the more extreme wavelengths, but it seems even those have more of a realistic/natural appearance with the newer LED technology than any blurple shit I've used.

Where did you find a light that was custom assembled for the space like that!?!?!?!

Looking great!
It's funny... I only estimated (like a crazy, bad-mushroom-eating fool) the overall length of the fixture. It's only got a tolerance of maybe 1.5", which is a little tighter than I'd ideally like to work with.
So, note to be had for anyone building in a prefab tent: the specified dimensions are most likely the Outside Dimensions... if not just a label close enough to whatever dimensions they've actually built it to.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Wish I could stay in here all night...
View attachment 1052611
I feel like they're already noticeably responding.

Man... I'm really glad blurple wasn't the technology that ended up being the leader in the field. Those things really bothered me... kept me from ever wanting to look at my plants.

I'll like to eventually add some of the more extreme wavelengths, but it seems even those have more of a realistic/natural appearance with the newer LED technology than any blurple shit I've used.

It's funny... I only estimated (like a crazy, bad-mushroom-eating fool) the overall length of the fixture. It's only got a tolerance of maybe 1.5", which is a little tighter than I'd ideally like to work with.
So, note to be had for anyone building in a prefab tent: the specified dimensions are most likely the Outside Dimensions... if not just a label close enough to whatever dimensions they've actually built it to.
I would say I'm sorry for doing this to you......but I'm not.

beluga

beluga

I'll have to watch that tomorrow.

I'm definitely willing to bend. Just so long as I'm not stepping into a rave every time I water my plants.

I've been following this Aussie lad, LED TEKNIK, for a bit... he makes these red buddies that I've definitely been considering for supplementation.

I'll post more about it when I'm back at the desktop. Too much linking and reference for my one thumb. He's got a small instagram feed, a good bit of stuff on the ledgardener forums (as well as being an active member, willing to share and teach), and you can otherwise find a good bit of other people using the red buddies with some intriguing results... if you wanna dig around.

beluga

beluga

I would say I'm sorry for doing this to you......but I'm not.

This man had me sold when he said, "The forgotten photons!!" 🤣🤣😂
Love the passion. Out the gates with the Floyd reference.

So, that's definitely science that I'm on board (🤭) with.

And I suppose more emphasis should be put on my saying, 'blurple shit I've used.'

This newer far (PC) red and far blue/UV technology is so far past the dayglo dance party lights that I, myself, have used; and the way they (new boys) emit light, like I said, feels much more natural/realistic... I imagine even further in the future it will get even more natural and probably see these light spectrums where they are in nature - invisible to our eyes, without the need for all that unnecessary/unusable light making me 🙈 .

Dreaming a bit here... but I foresee my (insert Mid-Atlantic accent) Future Adventures in Tinkering being messing around with configuring my own MCPCBs... the specs on a lot of the chips/starboards I read into seem to be so much more advanced than the current strips/boards being manufactured en masse.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not a spec snob trying to tell people that the lights they use are antiquated or inferior. I just love getting into the nitty gritty for my own fascination and understanding.

Since I was on the subject of Aussies and recently mentioned Tortoise/The Chicago Underground... here's a clashing of worlds:

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
This man had me sold when he said, "The forgotten photons!!" 🤣🤣😂
Love the passion. Out the gates with the Floyd reference.

So, that's definitely science that I'm on board (🤭) with.

And I suppose more emphasis should be put on my saying, 'blurple shit I've used.'

This newer far (PC) red and far blue/UV technology is so far past the dayglo dance party lights that I, myself, have used; and the way they (new boys) emit light, like I said, feels much more natural/realistic... I imagine even further in the future it will get even more natural and probably see these light spectrums where they are in nature - invisible to our eyes, without the need for all that unnecessary/unusable light making me 🙈 .

Dreaming a bit here... but I foresee my (insert Mid-Atlantic accent) Future Adventures in Tinkering being messing around with configuring my own MCPCBs... the specs on a lot of the chips/starboards I read into seem to be so much more advanced than the current strips/boards being manufactured en masse.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not a spec snob trying to tell people that the lights they use are antiquated or inferior. I just love getting into the nitty gritty for my own fascination and understanding.

Since I was on the subject of Aussies and recently mentioned Tortoise/The Chicago Underground... here's a clashing of worlds:
Oh man for sure. Blurples were an intermediate tech as led matured. It's not arguable anymore in my mind that they are not worse than full spectrum w.r.t. full development of the plant.

I feel same about hps btw.

beluga

beluga

Oh man for sure. Blurples were an intermediate tech as led matured. It's not arguable anymore in my mind that they are not worse than full spectrum w.r.t. full development of the plant.

I feel same about hps btw.

But, alas, there were and still are people pulling exceptional yields of quality product with just about all of them.
Although, you really didn't see that breach of >1g/w being commonplace until fairly recently... which, of course, so many factors. But the advanced LED technology seemed to be a huge one in terms of that electrical efficiency... and phytochemical production - which is where I can really tip my hat to even those early blurples... the buds may have been fluffy, but, man were they extra sticky.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
But, alas, there were and still are people pulling exceptional yields of quality product with just about all of them.
Although, you really didn't see that breach of >1g/w being commonplace until fairly recently... which, of course, so many factors. But the advanced LED technology seemed to be a huge one in terms of that electrical efficiency... and phytochemical production - which is where I can really tip my hat to even those early blurples... the buds may have been fluffy, but, man were they extra sticky.
I have no idea what others are pulling. I know the stuff from illinois dispensaries mostly sucks. I know the stuff I got on the street sucks. I know the stuff my old dealer who is now legit in michigan pulls, comparatively, sucks.

It's all basic ass highs, even when it tastes good.

I don't know why that is because it's ridiculous to think I could be less than a year into this and be remotely good at it.

But i know that I felt like my bud was closest to stuff grown outdoors by an old timer i know.

What aspect of the grow causes that? Trying to figure that out. What other home growers are pulling? No idea. Am I delusional? Early surveys say no but people could just be trying to be nice to me when I smoke with them or when they are reporting back on my bud.

Idk. But my current hypothesis is the biggest difference between weed grown in hawaii and weed grown in michigan is the sunshine as opposed to soil. Just like tropical fruit....i am half puerto rican and have spent a lot of time down there. The sun is different. Plants know it. Even with the same heat and such, comparing dead of summer in the midwest to the average day in Puerto Rico....it's different.

I think the biggest operative difference is the quantity of UV and Far Red as a proportion of the spectrum (the difference has been shown to be there at least for far red and i have practical experience with the UV....).

Anyway, coming in hot this morning. Sorry.

beluga

beluga

I have no idea what others are pulling. I know the stuff from illinois dispensaries mostly sucks. I know the stuff I got on the street sucks. I know the stuff my old dealer who is now legit in michigan pulls, comparatively, sucks.

It's all basic ass highs, even when it tastes good.

I don't know why that is because it's ridiculous to think I could be less than a year into this and be remotely good at it.

But i know that I felt like my bud was closest to stuff grown outdoors by an old timer i know.

What aspect of the grow causes that? Trying to figure that out. What other home growers are pulling? No idea. Am I delusional? Early surveys say no but people could just be trying to be nice to me when I smoke with them or when they are reporting back on my bud.

Idk. But my current hypothesis is the biggest difference between weed grown in hawaii and weed grown in michigan is the sunshine as opposed to soil. Just like tropical fruit....i am half puerto rican and have spent a lot of time down there. The sun is different. Plants know it. Even with the same heat and such, comparing dead of summer in the midwest to the average day in Puerto Rico....it's different.

I think the biggest operative difference is the quantity of UV and Far Red as a proportion of the spectrum (the difference has been shown to be there at least for far red and i have practical experience with the UV....).

Anyway, coming in hot this morning. Sorry.

I shouldn't say I actually know what others are pulling - just what they report on forums like these that I've been sporadically participating in over the past 13 years of myself sporadically growing. I've known one other grower personally.

I definitely agree with you on that caribbean sun - PR is my go-to getaway... love the Rincon skate scene... love Culebra... love Loiza.. I fucking love Puerto Rico.
I'm lucky to be olive-white... the first time experiencing that equatorial sun intensity from mostly being in northern climates.. sheesh. Can't imagine gingers going down there. But, yeah, clearly the plants are all about it.

Don't you worry 'bout coming in hot over in this corner of the forums.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I shouldn't say I actually know what others are pulling - just what they report on forums like these that I've been sporadically participating in over the past 13 years of myself sporadically growing. I've known one other grower personally.

I definitely agree with you on that caribbean sun - PR is my go-to getaway... love the Rincon skate scene... love Culebra... love Loiza.. I fucking love Puerto Rico.
I'm lucky to be olive-white... the first time experiencing that equatorial sun intensity from mostly being in northern climates.. sheesh. Can't imagine gingers going down there. But, yeah, clearly the plants are all about it.

Don't you worry 'bout coming in hot over in this corner of the forums.
I present as white-ish. On my 18th birthday my grandfather told me he loved me even if i wasn't a real puerto rican. 😆😂🤷‍♂️ However, my skin is dark enough to tolerate the sun....roughly.

My family is on the other side of the island, near san juan. Dorado. Across the street from the beach actually.

The biggest thing I feel when I go down there and look out at the ocean is small. Love it.

And yeah rincon especially is dope.

beluga

beluga

Nothing more humbling and enlivening than feeling small.
2018, we spent two weeks between San Juan and Culebra... the night before were we supposed to take a puddle-jumper back to SJ, we got the tropical storm warning. Called the airport in the morning to see what the status was and they told me, "well, it depends on the pilot you get."

They knew which pilot they had in mind.

We're sitting at the airport, it's already pouring and pretty gusty.
This dude comes trotting through the doors of the airport, flask in his breast pocket,
"vamo! vamo! vamo! I'm not waiting for anybody!"
Loads us all in, doesn't go through any of the formalities of safety protocols or check to see if we're buckled in.
Fires it up, takes a swig of his flask, and we're off.
Once in the air, he pops open the window and hangs his arm out... chillin' like taking a country drive in the autumn... while flying away from a fucking tropical storm!!

I was ear-to-ear smiles the whole damn time.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Nothing more humbling and enlivening than feeling small.
2018, we spent two weeks between San Juan and Culebra... the night before were we supposed to take a puddle-jumper back to SJ, we got the tropical storm warning. Called the airport in the morning to see what the status was and they told me, "well, it depends on the pilot you get."

They knew which pilot they had in mind.

We're sitting at the airport, it's already pouring and pretty gusty.
This dude comes trotting through the doors of the airport, flask in his breast pocket,
"vamo! vamo! vamo! I'm not waiting for anybody!"
Loads us all in, doesn't go through any of the formalities of safety protocols or check to see if we're buckled in.
Fires it up, takes a swig of his flask, and we're off.
Once in the air, he pops open the window and hangs his arm out... chillin' like taking a country drive in the autumn... while flying away from a fucking tropical storm!!

I was ear-to-ear smiles the whole damn time.
Lmfao yeah that sounds absolutely insane.

There are some puerto ricans that are just a different something. My wife and I got married down there. Tbh there's something about the place I feel in my bones....i dream of a future off the grid on solar in the mountains on the east side growing a pot crop legally....maybe one day.

beluga

beluga

Can't decide if I wanna squeeze (supercrop) these ladies one last time or not before they sail away into their ever-unquenched fertility... man, that sounds creepy.

20201105 221239

First time flowering in, oh... 3 years?
😢

20201106 221546

Gotta get the DSLR out of moving boxes and test my hand at some plant photography...

beluga

beluga

Week 1 Flower

DSC 1411

Pulled out that DSLR... I'm rusty, but I'll work on that.

I don't want to let my naivety soar too close to the sun, but...
In other news, looks like federal decrim might be sweeping the US.
I don't trust any of them fucks, but, man will I be enthralled to not have that nacho shit stain be our figurehead.
The wife and I are currently making a vision board to have him poop himself while stroking out and and simultaneously getting handcuffed on national television...

💩💩💩😖😖😖⛓⛓📸📸📸

A man can dream... a man can dream...

beluga

beluga

Woog... too much alcohol these past few days.
(- Mumblerap Warning -)
(Last little bit expresses my sentiment to my over-imbibing.)

I can't get that wonderful man and his lessons out of my thoughts. (Milson linked a few posts up.)
Just imagining the girls down there all... 😔😟🙏😳 for that spectrum...
So, I'm probably gonna press myself to get some far red (660 - 750nm) lights in there.

MCPCBs

655 - 670nm Starboards

720 - 750nm Starboards

TBD which driver I'll throw them on.
Preliminary stages.

A finished product that I'm biting these plans off of:

Thanks, Ted.

beluga

beluga

Pretty nice 24 hour progression.
DSC 1429
DSC 1430

Hittin' the feels running my beluga 240 over these girls...😏

Camera shenanigans.
DSC 1440

Anyone know, is there a more compatible file format for media uploads? I have these things cancel out on me all the time... seems like it takes me an hour to coax the server into cooperating... 🤔
Then I wonder if I'm bogging shit down and having a webmaster 😡🤬🤬

Latest posts

Top Bottom