Got it a bit closer to complete.
• added ventilation
• built doors
• added almost all the insulation

Next up:
• filter intake/exhaust
• hinge up doors
• reflective tape cracks
• cut a piece of insulation for the floor before winter.

😎

DSC 5082

DSC 5087
DSC 5095

Plant frens doing their thing.

They can't get enough of what I'm feeding them right now. I'm on to feeding them daily and they are racing to that 4th node for me... might let them go a little longer, we'll see. Gonna go give them yet another boosted dose, hopefully that'll get them sated.

beluga

beluga

Day 1 Flower
(Day 19 from seed)
DSC 5126
DSC 5123

A bit has transpired in the past week.
• A little more work on the hut.
• Topped 3 of 5
• Gave them their first 12-hour dark period (today)
• Started magnesium sulfate supplementation

I wanted to flip them a little earlier to keep them short, but had to put plant care on the back burner for a few days there (of course at a critical point.) And for the same height management reasons, topped the few that were racing to the light.

We'll see how the stretch goes for them. There's clearly some sibling variety in the traits of the TW x BV.
- One of three is straight up leggy, makes me think male. Don't care for the traits and is the most likely to be pulled inevitably.
DSC 5128

- One of three is pretty similar to the TW traits I was working with originally - bush, bushy. Great branching. Race to the skies. This would be a dream to work with outdoors. Indoors, especially with height restrictions, branch management is critical. Take away some of those lower nodes to dedicate everything the solar panels absorb to the nodes that will fit on a fairly even plane. Don't let them get too wide, as they'll fan out. And possibly even late topping of the uppermost "terminal" branches to achieve a decent canopy as well. I'd like to avoid scrogging, but it might just be necessary for this kind of plant in this kind of space. For now, though, I'm running amok with a variety of traits... it's gonna be a hodgepodge assortment of pruning, stringing, etc. to make it all work together.
DSC 5130

- And the third is very indica. Super interested to see what that's like. Letting it go unpruned, as it took its time getting up in the world and it's just got a nice structure regardless.
DSC 5135

The BK x SWOG isn't showing as much variation yet, but there are only two. One does seem a little more sativa, the other a little more indica.
DSC 5136
DSC 5139

Been a little more diligent with monitoring for a change.
air temp - 79 - 84ºF
rh - 55 - 70%
res temp - 78 - 80ºF
pH - 5.8 - 6.5

It's still subject to the garage environment, so I'll have to do more to combat that especially once the flowers start stackin'. Dehuey, heater, inkbirds, etc.
They've endured an array of minor nutrient issues, seen pH spikes, the RH is unnecessarily high, some bug visitors... but we're getting on track.

beluga

beluga

viva

DSC 5193

20220911 103043

20220911 102746

20220911 103219
20220911 103115

A light pruning, some phosphoric food, and a little more luminosity has them approaching the end of their first week of flowering with some decent momentum.

beluga

beluga

Week 1 Flower

Starting to look 👌

Everyone's on pace with each other for the most part, despite their little idiosyncrasies.
They seem to be roughly as hungry as one another, which I don't think I've been sating entirely... I think I flubbed some numbers at the beginning and underfed them pretty hard.
Also the first time I'm using PBP from using the CNS17 line for the entirety of my hydro experience, so maybe just a learning curve. I'll add more monitors in time to be sure.

The TWBV is definitely a bit more vigorous leaf and root-wise than the BKSOG, but they've each got their thing.

I wish I hadn't topped the front middle one... it just made it a mess and probably would have had a better structure au naturale 🤷‍♂️ lots of clone material, I suppose, should I choose.

Had some fun bending the leggy one in the back left. If I don't pull it, I'll at least have it on a pretty even plane with the rest.

Pretty optimistic about the height restrictions. Doesn't feel too restricting quite yet and I wonder if I could eke out another week of veg in the future.
We can basically say I did 3 weeks from seed... getting to 4 with more optimal conditions (like adequate nourishment 🤦‍♂️) might be the sweet spot.

I'm still largely at the mercy of the garage climate.
Planning out a lung room is of utmost importance, speeding toward urgency. Swinging around from ~55-88% RH just won't float much longer.

Yupyup 😎

beluga

beluga

Ooooh those are looking pretty
Always appreciate the nod.

I feel like, as always, I've bit myself in the ass a bit being sloppy with my record keeping, hodgepodging, and ultimately not adequately planning.
But the plants seem to always have a way of turning themselves around when I'm feeling like I've let them down. What little troopers.

I'm bouncing around what exactly is going on nutrient-wise (without the use of a PPM meter 👍 🤦‍♂️) and it's kind of stumping me.
It's mostly just light greening on new growth that resolves after a feeding, but I do see what looks almost like an Mg deficiency in the kind of variegated pattern of darker and lighter greens. Again, it resolves after I dose up the reservoir, so it does make me wonder. I'm not adding any CalMag, but I did throw in some epsom at switch... not much at all, ~1tsp for ~8-10 gallons of water. Just as a kind of priming dose before getting into flower production. I don't know, could the mag sulfate be interfering with anything? I have to assume tons of people use PBP with epsom, but I don't know if there's any tendency for any tie-up with that... I have to study up on all that antagonism/synergism magic.
In hindsight, these symptoms did arise before I added the epsom... but I'm gonna leave that in there. Honestly I might just still be underfeeding or my tap water/pbp combo may have just barely enough calmag to get them by.
I know I can't help myself or have anyone else help me before I read some PPMs, this is just semi-redundant brainstorming. I'll meter up soon enough and hopefully be able to diagnose better... I finally got a pH meter going in there after however many years, so I'm getting there! 😎

Gonna be a big work weekend for me in there.
• Prune them up and take a bunch of clones in the process. Wanna get that respiration up and I know the netpots make quite the humid environment in that trunk zone. I've seen some mild drooping I believe is due to their extensive lower bush 🤔
• Add a foliar spray with Southern Ag's B. amyloliquefaciens - PM cut the last one short, so until I can really get that environment dialed in, I'm gonna employ the help of some biological preventatives. I've also been thinking about fulvic/humic for foliar and res supplementation. I have to read into that more to have a firm grasp on why I'm drawn to it.
• I'm thinking about the lung room. And how necessary it is. It dropped down into the low 50s last night and my air temps stayed stable. Proper foamboard insulation is the fucking tits. I do not miss you, tents. I do not miss you at all. Couple that insulation with the small area of the cabinet itself, I have an inkling that I can get by with a res heater (provides humidity, too) and the ambient heat produced by the LEDs... IF I close up and add cO2. We'll see. It's not like it doesn't get <0ºF here sometimes, so I may be overly optimistic in that thought.

It sucks that I set my lights to be on at night when I still have so much work to do. Just didn't feel all the other bites on my ass, so I decided to give myself another one.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Try bumping humidity up by 5-10%. id say you can easy add 2tsp per 8-10 gal. i just had the same symptoms in my grow also

But they look great

beluga

beluga

Got some work done before lights out. Had some welcomed company with me this morning...
DSC 5230

They're really in their stride right now, last 24hr saw a nice amount of growth. But.. I decided to trim it up. Minimize some of the crowding; increase respiration some. It's really quite the task pruning to intentionally concentrate the resources to the canopy of 5 different phenotypes. But I figured it out alright.

Before...
DSC 5231

After...
DSC 5234

You might not notice much of a difference. That's good. I like my leaves who can produce energy to produce energy.

Took clones from where I could.
DSC 5235 20220917093309194

Gonna get them set up in my ol' green tub today. So far, I'm pretty good with all of these traits enough to keep mothers of each. Time will tell. A second cabinet is whispering at the back of my mind. It's not necessary yet. I can keep mothers wherever around the house. But I do love me some tinkering. And man am I pukoed about building another light.

Still no signs of sex.
All female? 🤔 🤞

beluga

beluga

I use the same totes. Filled all the nooks and crannies on top with Flex Seal to try to get an airtite fit around the net pots to hold in O2. Looks like you used tape? Looks good.
Yup, I work with sign making vinyl on a cnc plotter all day, so I just cut a template and stuck it on. But it's definitely not a good seal. I'd like to glue some collars on there to tighten it up some more.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yup, I work with sign making vinyl on a cnc plotter all day, so I just cut a template and stuck it on. But it's definitely not a good seal. I'd like to glue some collars on there to tighten it up some more.
I like your idea. I do that too, I could totally cut a piece of vinyl and then put the 3D printed collars in there. Your method is both easier and less expensive.

If you need me to print you some collars, LMK.

This is what I mean

1253340 e2436cb4ca9b612c55c815c5aab482fc1

beluga

beluga

I like your idea. I do that too, I could totally cut a piece of vinyl and then put the 3D printed collars in there. Your method is both easier and less expensive.

If you need me to print you some collars, LMK.

This is what I mean

View attachment 1282801
Appreciate it! I've got some goof rings from recessed kitchen lights somewhere around that might just be perfect, otherwise I'll come a'knockin'.

So, I was setting up my old tote and had fog on the mind...
DSC 5259

Remembered I have a HoH atomizer from doing exotic mushroom species... so... let's see if it maybe works on clones 🤷

First, I'm gonna let it run for another 30 or so minutes to see if there's adequate condensate on the net pots. Might just end up doing the good ol' sprayers if not, but I figured I'd experiment with what I have around the house.

beluga

beluga

DSC 5288

DSC 5271

Still pumping it out.
Considered raising the lights. They're right ~4.5" from the canopy, still no evidence of stress. I'll hike 'em up a bit tomorrow.

Annnnd we have nuts!
DSC 5279

DSC 5285

Quite a handsome fella, this indica-leaning pheno of the TWBV. I'm not really looking to play cupid right now, so he's probably just gonna get pulled 😕 We'll see if I have a change of heart. Hopefully one of his sisters in the seed stock share that trait if I do just pull him.

Fog cloner was a bust. Didn't have a good seal around one of the net pots, so that plant was brilliant while all the others wilted progressively worse the further away they got.
Set up the sprayers in time to pick them up though 👍

beluga

beluga

Day 14 Flower

Welp. Clipped the male. And, man... I gotta go back to the drawing board with these net pot columns. It was a bit of a massacre taking him out.
• Gotta come up with a better way to slot them. All those holes just proved to be exactly big enough that a lot of roots could still get through, yet way too small to be able to tuck them back into the column.
• Gotta make it so they slide in and out easier. Some kind of pipe flange might do the trick.
• Gotta get that sprayer coverage up. It looks like it got some decent disease on the side opposite the sprayers. Explains some of that male's drooping tendency/slower growth rate, perhaps.
Other than those things, I think they're a nice quality-of-life improvement. Just some tuning required, as trials go.
In reality, there's no reason you should need to be switching your plants around. In reality, I'll just be putting clones in there and just sail to the end. I guess there's the consideration of a clone getting a disease etc. But... it should be cleaned up either way.

Did what rearrangement I could based on which root system I'd cause the least damage to. The TWBVs were just completely out of the question, their root systems are way more extensive than the BbKSwOG. Did some more bending to try to get them to fill the gaps, which they recovered from while I slept... as they always do. Would have been nice to get them on either end of the tote, but hey 🤷‍♂️ They'll make good use of this arrangement. I also have some spare parts from half-baked light build ideas that I think I should be able to maybe make some supplemental lighting out of to compensate for the height difference between these two varieties. Really, the bummer is not being able to move those TWBVs.

The one front right was front left. This is after ~10 hours, no evident signs of stress even with taking some moderate root damage.

And we have some floral branching!

Only on the BbKSwOG that got a repositioning. I expect the TWBVs in the next few days here. Not seeing anymore nuts, so I have a good feeling we'll be set with this.

Party on, girls. 🥳

beluga

beluga

Just dumping some source material on root pruning that I wish to read more in-depth.
It might just be more pertinent to me and these weird columns that I'm using than I initially realized....

Regulatory effects of root pruning on leaf nutrients, photosynthesis, and growth of trees in a closed-canopy poplar plantation

Response of Plants to Root Pruning (from Horticultural Reviews, Vol. 6)

Root pruning enhances wheat yield, harvest index and water-use efficiency in semiarid area (from Field Crops Research: An International Journal)

Effects of root pruning on the vegetative growth and fruit quality of Zhanhuadongzao trees

Most of what I'm seeing is in regard to trees and wheat. So, as far as the pertinence to cannabis, I assume we can only take loose correlations.
However, there's a lot to draw inspiration from for further reading or experimentation.
• Water-use efficiency.
• Height management.
• Reduction of pesticide/increase of sugar and vitamin levels found in fruits, and the opposite for the rhizosphere.
• Rate of photosynthesis/respiration/stomatal conductance.
And some.

This might be my first documented side by side. Just have to be able to set some realistic controls first.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Just dumping some source material on root pruning that I wish to read more in-depth.
It might just be more pertinent to me and these weird columns that I'm using than I initially realized....

Regulatory effects of root pruning on leaf nutrients, photosynthesis, and growth of trees in a closed-canopy poplar plantation

Response of Plants to Root Pruning (from Horticultural Reviews, Vol. 6)

Root pruning enhances wheat yield, harvest index and water-use efficiency in semiarid area (from Field Crops Research: An International Journal)

Effects of root pruning on the vegetative growth and fruit quality of Zhanhuadongzao trees

Most of what I'm seeing is in regard to trees and wheat. So, as far as the pertinence to cannabis, I assume we can only take loose correlations.
However, there's a lot to draw inspiration from for further reading or experimentation.
• Water-use efficiency.
• Height management.
• Reduction of pesticide/increase of sugar and vitamin levels found in fruits, and the opposite for the rhizosphere.
• Rate of photosynthesis/respiration/stomatal conductance.
And some.

This might be my first documented side by side. Just have to be able to set some realistic controls first.
@Moe.Red

Latest posts

Top Bottom