Best Brand of Digital Ballast?

• Thread starter CoughingMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheMiracle

im SOLD... NEXT gen in its i want to thank everyone for helping and sharing their educated brains on the subject... even though i didnt start this thread i have posted several ones related! THX! wheres a good place to get the NEXTGEN ballast? is their any specific model or version??? other than the one that runs 1000 watts and has the built in cooling fan?

C

Calimad

the warranty part is waht i like best about nextgen. makes me sleep better at night

N

noone88

Only used Lumateks. May try Nextgen ballasts in the next equipment upgrade.

120 volt Lumatek 1k ballasts: they loved to kill my Hortilux bulbs. I have started pairing them with Ushio 1k bulbs. 120 volt digital ballasts may have a problem due to the neutral wire (this is a guess)

240 volt dual 600w: Using them, dimmable (which does save power, verified with Kill-a-watt), haven't tried the super-lumen feature. Paired with Ushio bulbs. Haven't had a problem.

C

Calimad

first time i heard of dimmable hps, sounds interesting. what are the benefits of dimming down the light? sorry if its a stupid question.

W

washyskins

yeah use sunpulse lamps line up for digital ballasts that is what they were made for time for the age shit!!!!

O

ogluver

how is the nextGen on interference? I know the lumatek messes up the tv, etc.

O

OldSchool

I have been slowely replacing my Mag Ballast for ditigal ballast,my 1st purchase being Lunatek dimmable1000watt ballast. After several months of comparing brands and "A TRUE DIGITAL BALLAST" (CPU Processed) most on the market are not true digital. I went with L.Tek, I liked the warrenty, new one has a micro proccessor, I ran across a web site(which I cant find now) done by a independent lab comparing todays digital ballast, and Lunatek came out ahead. After I setting up the ballast and running it through it dimmable settings,--Then it dawned on me,---IAM I REALLY SAVING ON ELECTRICITY COST,BY RUNNING IT ON A LOWER OUTPUT (Why didnt I think about this eailer I could have saved $100 to $150 dallors extra for non ballast dimmable) Iam still pulling 1000watt of current even though I have it set at 60%,
EXAMPLE, If Iam running lets say 1000watt Mag ballast and I put in a 600watt bulb(I do not recommend this!! people do it all the time)Just because I placed a 600watt bulb into the 1000watt ballast does not mean Iam only consuming only 600watts of power, the bulb does not step down the ballast, I understand the dimmable feature could be used like during foiler feeding,etc,and I still prefer digital (electronic)ballast over Mag, but I see the DIMMABLE as a marketing ploy--If someone has a better info,please let me know.
Question, Has anyone know when is the best time to run at 110%, at last week or last 2 weeks of flowering,etc

PEACE

M

mountaindank

Dimmable ballasts draw less power when dimmed. A 1000W ballast at 50% brightness will only be drawing 500W. Where else would all that energy go?

Unless I have my light dimmed to get my plants accustomed to it, I run my lights at 110% brightness all the time. The more light, the better.

Also, my Lumatek causes absolutely no interference.

S

SweetIndica2

The Nextgen sound good, i have only used the Lumatek but personally i wasn't completely satisfied with it so i went back to a Magnetic. This was when the digital's were still knew though, i am sure they have come a long way since then.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Do your research on these digi's. I still don't trust them. They are still in there infancy. Stick with the mag, they run just about every single lamp without any issues. Some of the digitals have issues with the super HPS. I have read posts from the CEO(?) of lumatek addressing these issues, he blames EYE, makers of hortilux lamps for the problem. Just do your research. Good luck.

M

Married2Mary

Premium Member
Supporter
Quantum adjustable digital ballasts are the shit.... I've been running a few 1k's with no problems since they first came out...

S

sensei13

What I've switched to Lumatek digital so far has been working beautifully, definitely less power consumption. I don't know about the power, I just run 1000w at 100% 10/14 & 12/12 for the last 2 or 3 weeks with great success. I don't see a real need for any dim feature, but there are definitely benefits to switching in regards to savings with power and wear & tear on bulbs. Unlike analog counterparts I have not burned through one yet, so far digital definitely seems to be the winner for longevity as well. So if anyone has a busted ballast its time to upgrade IMO. Oh I heard Galaxy although made oversees (whats not nowdays) the actually pretty decent.

C

Couch Kushon

Ya the Nextgen are really good. I have been taking back the Lumateks at least once a month for my set up and now I'm working with my grow shop to do some type of credit system to change us over to Nextgen since I've been doing the exchange thing with the Lumateks for about 2 years... Nextgen also doesn't do the flicker thing, they have constant light which means they don't flicker on an off (faster than the eye can see of course).

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
i rock out nextgen through and through.....best iv ever had. not a single problem with it and iv been runnin it for over 9 months now. i use the super blue hort. bulb and i get KILLER meds :)

JollyGreen

JollyGreen

Lumateks digitals suck, and they are a piece of sh!t! I had to return the one I had like 3 times. The guy at the shop don't even want to know about them anymore. Now I will only play with these new quantums I got. I recommend Quantum or Galaxy for the digi...

H

hailo

Another vote for nextgen

got 4 work great...i like the leds, you can tell if its on/off/or error (small thing i know, i just like it)

I just bought 2 galaxys, havnt had it for long, but so far so good...

the thing thats good about lumatek is the dimmable part, if your using the balast for both veg and flower

botom line, they are all good, buy whatever your local store stocks

R

rocks211

I have a 600 lumatek and have never had any issues. I also use hortilux and my hydro shop gave me a cord to plug in between the ballast and socket wires that is supposed to prevent the bulbs from blowing. So far everything is great.

A

ARTofMAKINGfire

Digital ballasts pop Hortilux light bulbs. You have to use a standard HPS or Agro bulb. If you want to burn sweet Horti's you have to go old school and get the TRIED and TRUE magnetic...

B

Budhog

Another vote for nextgen

botom line, they are all good, buy whatever your local store stocks

NOT TRUE!!! Dude, don't throw advice out there that could cause fire/death. It is very irresponsible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom