Best Brand of Digital Ballast?

• Thread starter CoughingMan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Illmind

Illmind

quantums almost got me by the balls, cept it still puts out rf not badly prolly 100ft range off a house. those save electrically when dimmed because cpu are math so when u click that nob this chip tells another chip too pull 50% power causing yerw light to run at 500w. now on the magnetics yes u can run a 600w in a 1k and what not but it's gonna pull 1k still and all the access current i believe ruins cpacitors quickly which is why thats a nono.

M

mellowsouls7

anyone heard of GrowMaster Ballast

i was told it was the best, True/False? How much should a 1000w GrowMaster Ballast go for...

tokinupon1

tokinupon1

I love my next gens got 2 400-600 switchables one is 2 1/2 years old and 1 is a year there Both sick and rocking strong year round Never had an issue and they never get hot used a buddys lumatek and wow holy heat I don't miss it one bit. Making the 1k jump this winter and it's another nextgen for sure

420haze

I got a few 1000 Lumatek's running Hortilux bulb's the daylight blues and super hps and from my experience I have had no issues. I even have them cranked to super lumens which radiate an additional 10%; Lumatek's are the sh*&t!

G

Green Supreme

The med grow were i have been staying uses Nutrilife electronic ballasts. They seems quiet and cool. Peace GS

M

mrhouston907

Beware of lumateks, especially the 600w switchable. Had 2 just burn out, not even 2 months old. They also say that hortilux bulbs will burnout these ballasts. They're also known for melting the power cords, google it, you'll see what I'm talking about, they're the most returned ballast out.

j wizzle

j wizzle

im running an ocho with a 1000w digi lumatek and its great so far. ushio bulb running super lumens, it doesnt mess up my cam either.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

wow. I cannot believe no one has mentioned phantom by hydrofarm. I personally have 4 1000w lumateks and have never had any issues (had them 4 years). The guy at the hydro store says he has had many complaints about lumatek so when I purchased a few more ballasts i decided not to get them. Also i have read posts about nextgen's fans going bad before the ballast. Nextgen is cool because it has the 3 light dianosis thing but i figure you will only use it if you have a problem with the ballast either way.

I bought 2 phantom ballasts and i am sold! 3 stage dimmable, no fans, and they have a handle that allows you to mount them easily on a single post while allowing air all around the ballast to keep it cool.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

OH yeah i forgot to mention, Phantom ballasts automatically distinguish between 120v and 240 v (can run off either) AND they automatically distinguish between HPS and MH bulbs. Not the cheapest ballast but you asked for the best ballst and Phantom is the way to go imo. THose quantums look nice too but i have never tried them or known anyone who has.

G

Geronimo

Hey Farmers! A friend gave me a Global Greenhouse 400 ballast and i was wondering what you guys have heard about them. My friend never used it and i honestly havent heard anything about them at all. Any help is much appreciated, thanks alot guys!

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

+1 for Galaxy Select A watt. Select a watt is way better than dimmable. I have been running these ballasts for the last year and love them. Having the ability to run 1k in the winter and 600 in the summer just by changing bulbs and flipping a switch is pretty badass. Plus they stay cool to the touch even on the hottest summer days. I pair my galaxy ballasts with ushio bulbs and magnum ochos! Awesome coverage and unbelievable penetration. That's what she said, lol. Anyway, I believe this setup to be the best lighting system money can buy at the moment.:muscle

V

Valid215

i am interested to know what brand of bulbs is good and not good for quantum 1k's

Rockin the cheap dual arc bulbs off of ebay for 6 months now, no issues with the quantum 1k's, dimmed through each setting on hot days and just keeps on shining.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

+1 for Galaxy Select A watt. Select a watt is way better than dimmable. I have been running these ballasts for the last year and love them. Having the ability to run 1k in the winter and 600 in the summer just by changing bulbs and flipping a switch is pretty badass. Plus they stay cool to the touch even on the hottest summer days. I pair my galaxy ballasts with ushio bulbs and magnum ochos! Awesome coverage and unbelievable penetration. That's what she said, lol. Anyway, I believe this setup to be the best lighting system money can buy at the moment.:muscle

Why is that better than a dimmable? With a Phantom you dont need to change bulbs just press a button. Running a 1000w at 60% = 600 watt. I have been wanting to try Ushio bulbs but my hortilux bulbs are fairly new.

GreenThumbBill

GreenThumbBill

Why is that better than a dimmable? With a Phantom you dont need to change bulbs just press a button. Running a 1000w at 60% = 600 watt. I have been wanting to try Ushio bulbs but my hortilux bulbs are fairly new.
Dimming your 1000w bulbs to 60% significantly decreases their life expectancy. Its better if your bulb and ballast output are both the same. Also, with the Galaxy ballasts there is a turbo boost mode. So, when you have a bulb on its last leg you can squeeze the last bit out of it. Pretty cool.

P

peter tosh

galaxy ballasts look badass i like the select a watt you can run a 600 mh for veg then a 1000 hps for flower all with one ballast. i have quantom ballasts right now and they work well. btw they work fine with hortilux bulbs. i like the dimmable feature too i used my 600w for veg and had it running 50% to keep temps down all summer. it would have been useless if it was a nextgen non-dimmable becuase my room went up like 8 degrees running at full power! i do like the nextgen except for that one thing.

O

OldSchool

I purchased the new generations of Lumatek 1000 dimmable digital (5yr Warrenty) with the ushio opt red bulb, been very pleased with it, 120/240 volts, U do not have to change ur bulb for different settings, u can according to the manufactor. Only thing I would have not forked out the extra $100.for the dimmable, sledom use it, I have additional ballast to fill in for those wattages. Why pay for consuming 1000watt ballast (1100watts ballast-100 lums extra Lum setting) and have it set on 600watts (not having a heat issue) but this is my way, and I can see how its very useful for other people having the dimming feature. Iam thinking the e ballast with the xtra lum like mind is more as 1100watts.600/660watts 400/440watts, has anyone read if this is right? I like to know. One thing I can reconmend is if U have access to 240volts vs 120volts, use 240 I find the Lumatek runs cooler on 240 then if on 120volts. Sounds to me all the E ballast run well, its just deciding cost factor, look at thier warrenty, and do not Lose UR reciept or no warrenty. Buying big purchases always make me feel alittle bit like a child at chrismas time. Good luck

PEACE

Top Bottom