Best Brand Of Worm Castings?

• Thread starter nightmarecreature
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nightmarecreature

Ive tried Wiggle Worm and I think it had very little worm castings in it. I also sought out a worm farmer but he's too expensive.

My question is, what is a decent brand of Worm castings for making teas, that is priced decent?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
The best is the kind you make your self ;)

The shit in a bag god knows how old it is and IF theres any microbial action left alive in it... Vermicompost!!!!!!!!!!! Its so easy even a caveman can do it :P

G u

G u

Worm Power is the premier source
Rocky Mountain Worm Co. is local and I've seen their facility.

Both can be ordered online, but I recommend finding a good local source. They are out there.
ALSO, good EWC (Earthworm Castings) is NOT cheap. Expect to pay $20+/pound on EWC that is worth while.

I grow pretty much exclusively with EWC and have been in a NoTill setting for quite a while.

@LittleDabbie is correct though. It is a little tasking when you start to increase the size of your garden to a commercial size. Production can almost never keep up with demand at that point and you will have to outsource.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

There isn't a good "brand" of castings...at least nothing that compares to the real thing. Make some or pick up a sample from a local, I guarantee you'll never consider grow store castings again. My tea is literally THICK when I use real deal fresh castings, I'm definitely a fan

JamesWatt

JamesWatt

wiggle worm is the bottom of the barrel when it comes to pre bagged castings.

for the price/amount/quality i usually go with bigworm from Aurora Innovations

age old has some good worm castings but they are expensive!

N

nightmarecreature

I kinda of mentioned a local worm farmer. Hes very expensive and his vermicompost is full of sand. He's a dick and full of himself, claiming he's a Grand Master this and that. The guy knows his stuff, he's just not modest at all and on the arrogant side.

Im just looking for a decent brand and Wiggle Worm sucks. Using the worm farmer is not in my future.

He did mention that commercial worms are feed their own poo, over and over again till the casting look like dirt. Vermicompost looks totally different.

I did buy a bunch of castings from the Worm farmer and Im looking for bagged castings. I used them up already.

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
He did mention that commercial worms are feed their own poo, over and over again till the casting look like dirt. Vermicompost looks totally different.

I would argue with him about that.. You can produce black castings feeding them food scraps, Dry meals, cattle shit, rabbit , chicken shit... Coffee grounds...

I have 70+ gallons of black castings atm all produced from kitchen scraps.

N

nightmarecreature

Also Im going to start brewing my teas recommended by AGBIO. Instead of using molasses, using Azomite,kelp,humic acid and fish hydrolysate instead. They are real scientists and claim molasses makes for lazy microbes.

They have a PDF file at their website on how to brew the better tea.

N

nightmarecreature

I would argue with him about that.. You can produce black castings feeding them food scraps, Dry meals, cattle shit, rabbit , chicken shit... Coffee grounds...

I have 70+ gallons of black castings atm all produced from kitchen scraps.

I talked to him for awhile about that. He said if they dont get ample amounts of food, they eat their own castings and start dying off. He feeds his worms old produce from retailers. He said if they get enough food, that they wont reeat their castings.
The guy has been doing it for 40 years.

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

im using Roots Organics Big Worm + thier Marine Green (which i highly recommend.), Vermaplex black castings, and Buckaroo from Sanctuary.
Ro big worm
Ro marine green
Vermaplex ewc

Edit to add - i dont use all these at the same time, i mean i will throw in a handful or two, but its all about biodiversity...

Sanctuary
Last edited:
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Also Im going to start brewing my teas recommended by AGBIO. Instead of using molasses, using Azomite,kelp,humic acid and fish hydrolysate instead. They are real scientists and claim molasses makes for lazy microbes.

They have a PDF file at their website on how to brew the better tea.

Thanks for starting this thread. I spent the last 20 mi s lookin for the PDF u mentioned to no avail. Prolly because I di t know which AGBIO website ur referring to. Can u point me in the right direction pls.

Confu

Skuna Tuna

Skuna Tuna

Oh and another thing, Black Gold EWC isnt a very good quality. i use it to add in my medium. if u look at the bag, it says that there is a high % of peat moss. its not a bad thing, but they are definitely not 100% pure castings. <<thats the shit you should use in a tea!

N

nightmarecreature

IMAG0838
IMAG0839
Thanks for starting this thread. I spent the last 20 mi s lookin for the PDF u mentioned to my avail. Prolly because I di t know which AGBIO website ur referring to. Can u point me in the right direction pls.

Confu

http://www.bioag.com
My bad, I had it backwards.
I use VAM, to brew my bennies, its $36 a kilo.

I cant link the PDF on my phone. Google Bioag tea recipe

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

Vital Earth, pure castings, no filler. The whole bag looks just like what worms leave on the ground when they come to the surface after a rain. Not sure if they are even a co anymore though. I know gaia up in Kelowna has the same stuff and has licensed US distribution to VE or Conscious Earthworks their parent Co.

They also have a PHC bio pak ( which is another licensed product which many other have labels on) that is full of kelp and tons of leonardite. Which I add to my caps tea. And dont for get Acadian Kelp meal. I also thro cal phos, and rock dust and azomite for extra redundancy.

Last edited:
Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Garden and Bloom makes a great bagged EWC. The nursury I would shop at, the bags would still have live worms in the castings. Can't get much fresher than that, unless you breed your own.

N

nightmarecreature

OG Biowar uses a spore concentration of 5x10^9/ grm... ive seen VAM but only 9 spores/gram???
i believe the Nute pack has the Glomus intradices your looking for

I've used OGBIOWAR and it did nothing for me after using it for a year. Ive done side by sides with and without. OGBiowar are bulk spores from China. BioAg are spores made in the USA in a lab by real scientists with 50+ years of Botany. All I know is that the VAM works for me and the Biowar did not.

Biowar has BT in it too but fails to kill fungus gnats. I had to go out and buy Gnatrol with BT to kill them.

Top Bottom