best butane to use?

• Thread starter Krypto1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

i dont know, i said i was wondering in the post if i remember correctly..

one reason id say just off the top of my head, how about propane has a higher boiling point than n-butane..
to ME that means it will take more heat to make it boil, more heat takes longer, longer=harder...so to purge the propane out of your oil, it seems like it would be harder than butane..i actually believe i have read just that somewhere else...
so butane with 10% less propane seems like it would be easier to purge from the oil..
certainly no scientist, but seems pretty logical to me...especially if the propane in the butane is mercapped as i believe gw said most butane propane is...
so if THATS the case, 10% less rotten egg smell in my wax seems certainly better to me...no?

what makes you think 10% propane would be better in any way??

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

i use lab grade butane .9999

yea thats my next step, just gotta get the tank to extractor path down...i know you can use the tubes i use that way, just gotta do next logical step..

so leroy, what can i expect to benefit with the 99% stuff? more yield? what better taste?
i mean in your experience with the pure n-but what would u usually pull off a half pound of crip buds?

Graywolf

Graywolf

one reason id say just off the top of my head, how about propane has a higher boiling point than n-butane.

Propane actually boils at a lower temperature than butane. Butane at -0.5C/31.5F and propane at
-42.1 °C/-44 °F . Because one is a positive number and the other is a negative number can make it confusing.

certainly no scientist, but seems pretty logical to me...especially if the propane in the butane is mercapped as i believe gw said most butane propane is...

Propane used in lighter fuel typically doesn't have mercaps added, because of the taste and smell. It is also in such a small volume, that a leak doesn't present as much fire hazard.

Propane is added as a propellant, because butane has no pressure at freezing temperaures. It is identical to butane, except it is one carbon shorter in the chain, with it's two attendant hydrogens.

It is slightly more water soluble, so it may pick up more water solubles, but otherwise should work fine.

LeroyBrown

LeroyBrown

yea thats my next step, just gotta get the tank to extractor path down...i know you can use the tubes i use that way, just gotta do next logical step..

so leroy, what can i expect to benefit with the 99% stuff? more yield? what better taste?
i mean in your experience with the pure n-but what would u usually pull off a half pound of crip buds?

My scale of production is so large it's hard to say. With my tane and my product I hit around 20%.

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

Propane used in lighter fuel typically doesn't have mercaps added, because of the taste and smell. It is also in such a small volume, that a leak doesn't present as much fire hazard.

Propane is added as a propellant, because butane has no pressure at freezing temperaures. It is identical to butane, except it is one carbon shorter in the chain, with it's two attendant hydrogens.

It is slightly more water soluble, so it may pick up more water solubles, but otherwise should work fine.
hmmm very interesting food for thought...love ur replies..so as long as there are no mercaps (which are usually not present in refills but could be)
wait im screwed up, looking at boiling points, which is what would be how to gauge how much heat it will take to purge the gas out? right? on the n-butane its saying -0.6C and for the propane it says -42C, so how do i read those again or decipher them? i just always thought propane was supposed to be harder to purge out, havent tried it just read it on some forum or other...if its better how come more people arent using it as a primary solvent? limited access to noncapped propane? i think regardless of the science of it, marketing wise people are gonna hear 10% less propane 16% more butane and are just gonna assume it will make better gas..
so with the propane part taken into account, what about the difference in n-butane...its ultimately 16% more butane (normal and iso) ... so shouldnt it make better oil technically? 60% n butane vs 66%...
always a pleasure..

thnx

Graywolf

Graywolf

If you purge out the butane, the propane will also be gone.

Minus 42 centigrade is 41.4 degrees colder than minus 0.6 centigrade. It runs in the opposite direction (down) to the left of the zero, than it does to the right (up).

Propane is not better than butane, but it still works, as does Methane and Ethane, the other two liquified petroleum gases. It has to be kept under higher pressure than butane to remain liquid and typically does have mercaps added for most applications and convenient sources.

You may be right about the marketplace, which follows the sales pitches in the face of the facts sometimes.

My take is that either works well and that arguing over the difference is a little like arguing over how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. It is more of a pastime, sort of like which is better, Chevy or Ford.

Where you will notice the difference, is trying to get the n-butane out of the can at sub zero temperatures, with no gas pressure. Propane is the propellant that keeps the pressure up.
="SCFSYNDICATE760, post: 847952, member: 21986"]hmmm very interesting food for thought...love ur replies..so as long as there are no mercaps (which are usually not present in refills but could be)
wait im screwed up, looking at boiling points, which is what would be how to gauge how much heat it will take to purge the gas out? right? on the n-butane its saying -0.6C and for the propane it says -42C, so how do i read those again or decipher them? i just always thought propane was supposed to be harder to purge out, havent tried it just read it on some forum or other...if its better how come more people arent using it as a primary solvent? limited access to noncapped propane? i think regardless of the science of it, marketing wise people are gonna hear 10% less propane 16% more butane and are just gonna assume it will make better gas..
so with the propane part taken into account, what about the difference in n-butane...its ultimately 16% more butane (normal and iso) ... so shouldnt it make better oil technically? 60% n butane vs 66%...
always a pleasure..

thnx

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
some people seem to think that that extra pressure aids in the extraction as it makes the pressure greater in the extraction tube? i think i recall debate about vector and colibri users, and people who used both often thought colibri better because of the ~17% propane. i have no idea if it extracts better than pure butane myself, havent done any tests in that regard. it would be interesting to hear about the results from using strictly propane, in regards to the flavor dept. i wonder if its as good as butane for grabbing aromatics and retaining them, or better, worse?

index

index

Power X5 butane super refined fuel. 0 impurities and 5 times refined

SCFSYNDICATE760

SCFSYNDICATE760

some people seem to think that that extra pressure aids in the extraction as it makes the pressure greater in the extraction tube? i think i recall debate about vector and colibri users, and people who used both often thought colibri better because of the ~17% propane. i have no idea if it extracts better than pure butane myself, havent done any tests in that regard. it would be interesting to hear about the results from using strictly propane, in regards to the flavor dept. i wonder if its as good as butane for grabbing aromatics and retaining them, or better, worse?
hmmm yea ive thought on this too..
i guess my blurb on pressure is i dont like when the tube is packed so damn tight it takes ages for the butane to penetrate the column...
it also seems logical (not always so w science i know) that just the physical act of something hitting the material harder would knock crystals loose better..i mean really BLASTING the crystals off and through, you know?
so what i have found (equipment biased) is that when i put on 3 cans at once and blast all of em at the same time into the tube, i dunno it just seems like its doing better..call me crazy..plus it doesnt take close to as long, i can empty 3 cans into a qp of herb in about 3 min..pop one more on another minute and im done gassing it up...
then just let it marinade for a bit and

wala
another science type told me butane also acts as a propellant i believe..
when you say harder at subzero temps gw, (butane) i mean what does that mean?

Graywolf

Graywolf

wala
another science type told me butane also acts as a propellant i believe..
when you say harder at subzero temps gw, (butane) i mean what does that mean?

It means that straight butane has almost no gas pressure below -0.5C/31.5F, because it a liquid.

The propane isn't a liquid until below around -42°C (-43.6°F).

manitoid.

manitoid.

Going to the store today, will do a side by side run of Power x5 vs Vector Quintuplus to see if I can see/taste a difference.

manitoid.

manitoid.

So I Just pulled a buch of tubes, half power x5 half. vector. They look, feel, and yielded the same, but the vector just tastes smoother and brings out the flavor more. Power wasn't bad but they both cost the same at my shop so I'll stick with vector.

Top Bottom