BHO filtering

• Thread starter disposition84
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

disposition84

Was curious what people are using for filters for making BHO and why they're
using what they're using.

I started out using 2x coffee filters but after buying a nice stainless steel tube
off the net I've gone to just using a 50 micron screen without any coffee filters.

After a few runs both ways, I feel like I was getting more with the coffee filters
on my purges. I'm curious if having the coffee filters helps create more pressure
in the tube not allowing the butane to so easily escape and has more time to break down
the thc and move it to the tube exit?

Still new at the oil game with only 6 extractions under my belt but figured I'd come
here to ask the experts :)

Dank Sinatra

Dank Sinatra

that makes sense to me, i noticed when i switched from coffee filters to musselin my yield didn't change.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Most of the BHO we currently run follows a different process, but if I am using a simple flow through column, I use two coffee filters over the end, with a cloth backup.

When I winterize the BHO, I filter through a single coffee filter and then a 0.2 micron syringe filter.

If I have a large quantiy to process, I use vacuum to pul the liquid through the filter and use a Watmann #1 filter.

B

blueburnsorange

Man, I think Graywolf's skills allow him to operate at another level compared to most of us!

I was using a honey bee with 2x coffee filters and have switched to a glass extractor with a 50 micron screen. I really haven't seen a noticeable difference as long as the extractors are packed properly.

One thing I've noticed (and I believe this is a design flaw of the Honey Bee) is that with the HB I was seeing a few flakes of plant sneak past the filter and into the oil. That doesn't happen with my screen.

squiggly

squiggly

I'm curious if having the coffee filters helps create more pressure
in the tube not allowing the butane to so easily escape and has more time to break down
the thc and move it to the tube exit?

This is most likely the case. What is probably happening here is that the additional pressure helps to keep the butane more liquid, thus allowing better contact and greater surface area on the bud.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if one were to use some lab grade filters (these come in coffee filter size, but they need to be folded), with activated carbon at the end of the tube (doing this might require more butane to drive all the products out). The carbon should catch a lot of undesirables.

datDANK

datDANK

i dunno man.. i was against bho huge due to hippy chemistry..

somehow got into it for awhile.. thought it was really clean, felt really clean and potent

after a week of just smoking that shit.. got tired.. haven't touched it in 2 months!!

squiggly

squiggly

i dunno man.. i was against bho huge due to hippy chemistry..

somehow got into it for awhile.. thought it was really clean, felt really clean and potent

after a week of just smoking that shit.. got tired.. haven't touched it in 2 months!!

I can tell you that it's pretty solid real-people chemistry, so long as butane is purged correctly.

(I am a chem grad student and used a similar process about 8 times today in the research lab)

B

blueburnsorange

That would do it, you are smoking something way stronger than pot and depending on the strains you could get couchlock.

I can't smoke BHO all day every day, else I'd never be able to enjoy a bong hit of weed again!

jump

jump

the additional pressure helps to keep the butane more liquid, thus allowing better contact and greater surface area on the bud.
Pressure raises the boiling point of butane.

Under pressure butane is a liquid at a higher temperature than at atmospheric pressure.

With increasing temperature, solvent power increases, it works faster and wider.

The carbon should catch a lot of undesirables.
carbon catches a lot of undesirables, unfortunately also catches flavors.

Graywolf

Graywolf

Under pressure butane is a liquid at a higher temperature than at atmospheric pressure.

With increasing temperature, solvent power increases, it works faster and wider.

Is that you brother Jump?

squiggly

squiggly

This is what I was getting at.

You have tested this?

From what I can tell, activated carbon should let most "flavor" molecules through.

What may be at issue is the type or rating of the carbon you're using/you heard someone used.

There are many types of activated with different properties, meant to remove different impurities. This basically boils down to size exclusion purification, and to some degree the adsorption limit of the carbon is important.

I believe that much testing would need to be done before excluding this as a possible method for further, desirable, purification of oils.

Tokenblack

Tokenblack

After you have your pipe for your product fill (DO NOT USE PVC PIPE-THE INTRODUCTION OF BUTANE MAKES IT HAZARDOUS LIKE SMOKING METH!!)

Having said that, using two coffee filters is perfect, but after you have used those same filters and the "juice" is dripping out, cover the "jar" or whatever receptacle your using with panty hose so that the fluid passes through the honey oil extraction tube, then flows through the 2 coffee filters that are hose clamped to the end of the tube.

Now while doing this into a pyrex container, make sure the pyrex container is in the panty hose if using a cooking dish.
(*YES-ACTUALLY SHOVE THE PYREX DISH INTO THE PANTY HOSE CREATING A BARRIER BETWEEN THE DISH AND YOU)

((Then)) while holding your spray tube and butane can above your "Pyrex dish in ya momma hose"....spray the liquid in, remove the panty hose, then go on to the next step, ie. hot water dish, oven cooking, scraping and then into a vacuum container.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za26ntAaeWc

I give big props to this guys vid, but he has the upper hand in doing the vacuum purge.

Tokenblack

Tokenblack

The cleanest Butane with the you maybe looking for in a cleaner flavor is the butane provided by "COLIBRI"...they're a bit pricey (just like their $200 lighters) but the butane is very clean and almost void of any impurities because of the high-grade design of their lighters.....

Do a BHO extraction with COLIBRI butane and after you've Vacuum purged the butane out-> again check out this guys vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za26ntAaeWc

see if your quality, flavor, and potency dont go through the roof with satisfaction and delight!

Graywolf

Graywolf

Whoop! Lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu lu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Good to see you here bro! I notice other world class acts present as well!

M

MTgrower

This is what I was getting at.

You have tested this?

From what I can tell, activated carbon should let most "flavor" molecules through.

What may be at issue is the type or rating of the carbon you're using/you heard someone used.

There are many types of activated with different properties, meant to remove different impurities. This basically boils down to size exclusion purification, and to some degree the adsorption limit of the carbon is important.

I believe that much testing would need to be done before excluding this as a possible method for further, desirable, purification of oils.

I've used the carbon sold by Tamisium and packed it in the bottom of the chamber. I put a round SS screen, that I cut out of a strainer, on the bottom of the herb chamber, then I put a couple cotton balls (torn up) on top of the screen, then goes in the carbon. Then a bit more cotton, and then another screen.

The product that comes out still has plenty of flavor and odor. In my limited experience, it is too much heat that drives off all the terpenes and leaves a potent, but flavorless product.

bloads

bloads

So, just to make this clear to me, I'm going to reword this with more words and in a more confusing fashion.

We want to maintain the maximum amount of pressure possible, to allow the butane to stay liquid while at a hotter temperature, since higher temperature equals more efficient (better) oil extraction?

jump

jump

Yes, under the higher pressure you have warmer liquid butane which dissolves faster (its good),
but the range of dissolving materials is wider (its bad),
and contamination with lipid dirts starts sooner (its also bad).

I use butane at -20C in open thermos extractor at athmosphere pressure,
this temp allows more than 2 hours of clean extraction,

its too long, I'd prefer -2C, closer to the boiling point
but I have only one freezer and don't want to change its temp setting.

Graywolf

Graywolf

I've extrated using captured butane from ~32C/90F, to =33C/0F and as you might predict, it extracts more chlorophyll and other water solubles as the temperature increases. Keeping the reaction below the freezing point of water, reduces water soluble pickup, and produces a more pristine extraction.

Top Bottom