bho vac oven

• Thread starter Moses249
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Graywolf

Graywolf

@pork... there is no strain that autobudders, you have something going wrong in your process/technique such as contaminant, uneven heat, purging too quickly, water, etc.

I would go with the two stage 8cfm robinaire as an inexpensive way to go and you can pick it up via amazon.

I realize GW talks about not needing it, but almost EVERYONE uses two stage pumps. Look at all the secret cups and what not and the winners... they are all using big pumps. They smell great, taste great, usually pass residual tests, etc. I'd like to see GW enter his product and see how well his "techniques" work.

After regularly holding overbooked BHO classes last year, with everything sampled, GW's product is not an unknown value.

The issue as I see it isn't who has the biggest and baddest extract, but whether THC boils at the vacuum levels that a two stage pump operates at. I don't have to haul mine out for show and tell, to prove that, as it is a matter of scientific fact.

I've watched you turn discussions of scientific principles into personal attacks on other forums Durden, and now you have chosen me on this one, even labeling those whom disagree with you sheep, in your later post.
and the sheep have spoken

Almost EVERYONE doing something may be a fact, but not a scientific one. Usually folks saying things like that are using hyperbole, so I assume your need to also shout out EVERYONE by capitalizing,

means you don't have anything else with which to refute the attached boiling point numbers:

THC boiling under vacuum
Graywolf

Graywolf

we all want a vac oven!!
Tell us which one to get GW!

I guess the question is what you are going to use it for, because something suitable for home use and priced in the economy range, aren't necessarily the best thing for commercial producer.

If you have the mechanical skills, the cheapest way I've found is to grab a used Napco off E-Bay and replace the heating system and its controls. Pretty much a major rebuild.

The only other ovens that I've had much exposure to is the AI and now the Cascade TEK, with whom we now have a joint R&D program, to develop the ultimate commercial cannabis processing oven, but it won't be priced affordably for most home users.

As I am conservative without further investigation, if I had to buy a cheap mostly ready to use vacuum oven later yet today, I would pick up an AI and upgrade it with marble tiles on the wire shelves.

I agree that a big pump is a good thing, to save initial evacuation time, but a single stage pump will pull under 100 microns (factory tested at 65 microns), which is far too low to avoid boiling away targeted elements.

I fail to see any advantage to further pumping it all the way down to 25 microns, so that they can boil away faster, but am open to science based theories of why it is a good idea.

If you want something that is state of the art for volume, I would hold on buying for a bit and watch what our R&D venture with Cascade TEK produces. We will try to develop instrumentation to track what is in the exhaust, amongst other things, so that you can tell exactly when the desired ppm levels are reached. We will also work on cold trapping the monoterpenes from the exhaust, for reintroduction as desired later.

It will also use a chemically compatible vacuum pump, instead of the AC pumps that we've all sucked into service, but which aren't really made for the job. That will be more supportive of cold boiling the balance of the ethanol away after Rotovape, using cold boiling techniques to preserve the carboxylic acid.

I label those who follow you blindly because you say something as sheep.

You seemed to imply that most who did the cup up by you had flawed purging methods, so I simply asked if you were going to throw out some of your stuff to be judged? I don't doubt it has the potential to be good... but as good as that stuff given your purging methods? who knows?

I look at what the industry is doing and then I look at what you are saying sometimes. there seems to be a big difference at times. by the industry, I mean those who make money at it, not a tinkerer such as yourself.

I'm certainly not looking to discredit you, I just don't always agree with your conclusions. there is what works in theory and what actually work in a practical application. if making oil were so formulaic, there wouldn't be all these forums discussing the topic.

and yes, I can be a dick at times, and some are deserve to have it directed at them occasionally. in this situation I am simply disagreeing with you... and those who take you as gospel might need to understand that you aren't the final answer even when you act like you are

are you using an oven cap? i find after an initial purge that using two stainless paint scrapers followed by blades helps

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
are you using an oven cap? i find after an initial purge that using two stainless paint scrapers followed by blades helps

No oven but you guys make me wanna get one. I was vac purging but definitely not for 12-24 hours. I guess with these you can set and forget? It vacs and heats correct?

there still is much to watch in the beginning, but once you get to full vac, yes. well, you need a vac pump attached to it but it will accomplish all of that then. you just get more uniform heat

Graywolf

Graywolf

I label those who follow you blindly because you say something as sheep.

How do I "say something as sheep" and what language is that in?

You seemed to imply that most who did the cup up by you had flawed purging methods, so I simply asked if you were going to throw out some of your stuff to be judged? I don't doubt it has the potential to be good... but as good as that stuff given your purging methods? who knows?

You seemingly can't make an counter argument without hyperbole. Please show me where I ever said that "most who did the cup by me" had flawed purging methods.

To be taken seriously, you can't begin your logic with BS. May I suggest that you put up, or shut up?

I look at what the industry is doing and then I look at what you are saying sometimes. there seems to be a big difference at times. by the industry, I mean those who make money at it, not a tinkerer such as yourself.

I'm certainly not looking to discredit you, I just don't always agree with your conclusions.

Clearly you are trying to discredit me and insult those who agree with me by calling them sheep. Is English not your primary language?

What exactly do you think you've said?

there is what works in theory and what actually work in a practical application. if making oil were so formulaic, there wouldn't be all these forums discussing the topic.

If science weren't so formulaic, it could be called magic, and actually was.

and yes, I can be a dick at times, and some are deserve to have it directed at them occasionally.

Glad we cleared the air on that bro. I had a different word in mind, describing someone with the arrogance to personally attack other people with no more substance than epithets and hyperboles.

Can you point to one scientifically supportable fact in your last several posts?

in this situation I am simply disagreeing with you... and those who take you as gospel might need to understand that you aren't the final answer even when you act like you are

We do both agree that I'm not the final word on anything, but it would appear that you seem to think you are by dismissing my input, calling me a know it all, and those who follow my line of thinking, sheep.

Would you explain to the rest of how you got to be such a resident technical expert as to be able to dismiss science as "impractical in the real world?" Are we back to relying on magic?

Would you then care to elaborate on your clever plan to sway those following me to your way of thinking, by using insulting epithets, instead of selling them with logic?

Better yet, as a novel idea for you, now that you've made your unsupported opinions loudly clear, may we get back to the topic of the thread, or do you have more of your ego to enrich our lives with?

my god, I certainly don't think I am in the least bit.

I simply look at what most of the bigger extraction outfits are doing. Maybe it is that your techniques often work for the hobbyist but don't carry over to larger scale extractors?

I certainly don't want to sway, and if others decide to follow incorrect methods, it is less people I have to compete with in the marketplace :) you obviously have more patience than I and more tolerant of those who post asinine methods.

yes, please get back to recommending yamoto ovens, rebuilding ovens to work, and recommending that people use singe stage pumps when purging. Ego? you are being ridiculous. get back on your soap box GW

Graywolf

Graywolf

my god, I certainly don't think I am in the least bit.

I simply look at what most of the bigger extraction outfits are doing. Maybe it is that your techniques often work for the hobbyist but don't carry over to larger scale extractors?

I certainly don't want to sway, and if others decide to follow incorrect methods, it is less people I have to compete with in the marketplace :) you obviously have more patience than I and more tolerant of those who post asinine methods.

yes, please get back to recommending yamoto ovens, rebuilding ovens to work, and recommending that people use singe stage pumps when purging. Ego? you are being ridiculous. get back on your soap box GW

Well, My God, it certainly doesn't surprise me that you certainly don't think I ("you") am in the least bit. I'm a little unclear exactly what you are referring to, so you will need to elaborate to make more of a point that your lack of awareness, if you are referring to any central issue.

Do you really think that the high volume folks are optimizing their meds potency, or their return on investment?

My methods have worked thus far for the commercial groups that we've provided private classes to and I continue to consult with commercial enterprises. They also work for both of my partners, whom run private extraction businesses.

I'm led to believe that you've again failed to do enough research to not have to create facts, from which to hinge argument ass-u-me ing that I am a simple hobbiest, unaware of what the big boys do in the fast lane.

Would it surprise you to learn that is exactly what folks with no other argument do, instead of realizing they have an opinion, vis a vis the answers?

Yamoto doesn't ring a bell brother 1971, but thanks for further emphasizing my point. You can't write a paragraph without hyperbole or outright creations from whole cloth BS.

I rest my case.

Last edited:
J

Jalisco Kid

Waiting on "Roy" in China to send the specs of the t-stat on lower end and a price for shipping to me. Looks 2b right size. JK

Graywolf

Graywolf

Hee, hee, hee, don't you love the way they westernize their names for business. I'm currently dealing with a Chinese marketing person named Sally, but notice that isn't how she signs her name at the end of the quotes. One thing you have to give "Sally" credit for, and that she is extremely fast to return request for quotes, so not much waiting involved. I admire that in a business partner.

pimpmasterdlx

pimpmasterdlx

Damn your the boss ,Gm. How much was that AI oven? Is it the .9 or the 1.9 cu ft. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Canalchemist

Canalchemist

Gray Wolf I followed you when I was an ICMAG sheep, and I love your Site, and the holy anointing oil, I hope you shared it here as well. I appreciate all the work you do, it changes the way I think about how I put my systems together.

I think collaboration rather than criticism is the key to the ultimate success, what 1971 said about you being wildly wrong was an answer direct from the ego.

I may not like someone but what works works and what I learned from your posts and from the farm is working for us.

Peace

Graywolf

Graywolf

That is why the AI's are so great for what they are. Sure, everyone would love to drive a ferrari, but we often have to settle on a camry. Also, how much better, if any will a 9k oven really make your product? it quickly becomes a point of diminishing return.

yes, there will be variations in the temp, but not sure marble slabs are required although they can't hurt.

and yes, there are many ways to skin a cat. it is clear you often don't take the route of least difficulty or resistance, whereas most of us are trying to make a living at this. I do appreciate all of your contributions, but you don't have the restrictions most of us have. We need stuff to work and work well enough... I leave it to you to come up with new processes that may or may not work for the rest of us.

Until we demonstrate what the high price spread is capable of, how can you possibly have a clue how much better it can be and where the cost and utility cross at the margin? Would you share with us exactly what your background in process development, vacuum technology and instrumentation is?

I see that you group yourself with "most" and "the rest of us", yet appear to me to be in the minority with regard to optimizing extractions. I interpret that as evasive hyperbole for two reasons. First is that I regularly get confirmation from those professionals trying my techniques, and the second is that I seldom get responses like yours.

It is absolutely and positively true that I don't always take the route of least difficulty or resistance when the subject is optimizing quality. I retired from a professional career in the aerospace industry, which demanded quality and I therefore have formal training in process development and control. That you see it any differently, belies any such formal training in quality control on your part.

Your lack of anything but hyperbole and recriminations in the face of accepted scientific fact, suggest a concurrent lack of technical training. Simply said, if you knew what you were talking about, you would have already revealed that information, rather that discounting my input with hyperbole.

Your focus on personalities vis a vis whether THC boils at the vacuum levels that started this conversation suggests a concurrent lack of interpersonal skills as well, so I hope you understand why I am assigning your input the value it appears on examination to be worth.

Graywolf

Graywolf

how long are you finding thin film purges to take at 95-110? It seems that 115 is about 45 min....would that be variant based on the patty size? thin film is thin film no matter what the area, yes?

On the samples I developed the 115F guideline, the bubbles did not freely escape to very close to 115F. At 85/110F, he bubbles were forming but not freely breaking free. 115F is to purge in the fastest time possible, so as to preserve more of the carboxylic acid and terpenes.

If I want to make honeycomb instead of shatter, I might start at 85F and work my way up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom