Big Jay's Cream Caramel Grow (first grow)

• Thread starter bigjay420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Max Frost

Max Frost

Wicked info Max!

I've just started a new grow and the soil manufacturer said pH everything to 6 but now i'm not so sure this is right. Will certainly take it up half a point since seeing your chart.

Thanks again!

Hey Canna, I'm not surprised, bro! I've heard of recommendations of running pH in soil from 5.5 up to 7.5!!! It doesn't make any sense to me at all! All I can figure is...they're not talking about cannabis! People also don't realize what a huge difference there is the values too! A solution with a pH of 6.0 is 10 times more acidic than a solution with a value of pH 7.0, and a solution with a pH value of 5.0 would be 10 times more acidic than the solution of 6.0 pH and 100 times more acidic than the solution with a 7.0 pH. So, as you can see...it's a big difference! My rec is to try it at 6.5 and see for yourself! I can guarantee you'll see a difference!

Also...when I pH, I always mix my nutes and adjust the pH to 6.5. Then I let it sit for 1-2 hours and re-check and re-adjust the pH if necessary. (It always is). The pH will drift...you just don't want it drifting too far once it's in the root zone. Some dolomite lime added into the FFOF (at the start, before potting) will help with pH stabilization and cut down on the drift too.

Best,

Max :wacky:

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Hey Canna, I'm not surprised, bro! I've heard of recommendations of running pH in soil from 5.5 up to 7.5!!! It doesn't make any sense to me at all! All I can figure is...they're not talking about cannabis! People also don't realize what a huge difference there is the values too! A solution with a pH of 6.0 is 10 times more acidic than a solution with a value of pH 7.0, and a solution with a pH value of 5.0 would be 10 times more acidic than the solution of 6.0 pH and 100 times more acidic than the solution with a 7.0 pH. So, as you can see...it's a big difference! My rec is to try it at 6.5 and see for yourself! I can guarantee you'll see a difference!

Also...when I pH, I always mix my nutes and adjust the pH to 6.5. Then I let it sit for 1-2 hours and re-check and re-adjust the pH if necessary. (It always is). The pH will drift...you just don't want it drifting too far once it's in the root zone. Some dolomite lime added into the FFOF (at the start, before potting) will help with pH stabilization and cut down on the drift too.

Best,

Thanks again Max!

You'd presume that most soil companies wouldn't think that people are looking for ideal conditions for cannabis but when you consider this was on the back of a bag of Canna Terra Pro, it does leave you wondering!

I've never left my feed to sit so will try that and see how much fluctuation I get. I was thinking about mixing up a batch but couldn't really find any info on how long you can leave feed to sit once you've mixed it. It's probably better to do it small batches anyway.

If you get the chance I'd love to see what you make of my grows and am watching with great interest your Animal Cookies. I looked into them but was kind of warned off them but maybe if there's something to be found, even one plant amongst 12, it might be worth it.

DJXXPLATINUM

DJXXPLATINUM

SUP BROTHA...YEAH I HAVE THE ANIMAL COOKIES GOIN ....I'LL PUT UP SOME PICS WHEN THEY ARE WORTHY OF LOOKING AT..DJ
SAM 0463

bigjay420

bigjay420

Best,

Aye Max! That flush you told me to do worked well. Plants were noticeably perked up within a few hours. Today, they look 10 times better. About to start your feeding schedule. Will be sending you a pm when I get a chance. Thanks! You were truly a life saver!

Jay

Max Frost

Max Frost

Aye Max! That flush you told me to do worked well. Plants were noticeably perked up within a few hours. Today, they look 10 times better. About to start your feeding schedule. Will be sending you a pm when I get a chance. Thanks! You were truly a life saver!

Jay

Super! So glad to hear, bro! ;) How dry are they right now? If they're getting dry, I'd just wait and get in a good feed the next time they need water. If they're not ready yet, and it looks like it may be a few days, I'd probably get in a foliar feed to address your deficiencies quickly. Let me know how dry they are, and what you want to do. If you want to try the foliar feed, let me know and I'll PM you a cocktail mix recipe! Or, I can post something here...either way.

Best,

Max Frost

Max Frost

Thanks again Max!

You'd presume that most soil companies wouldn't think that people are looking for ideal conditions for cannabis but when you consider this was on the back of a bag of Canna Terra Pro, it does leave you wondering!

I've never left my feed to sit so will try that and see how much fluctuation I get. I was thinking about mixing up a batch but couldn't really find any info on how long you can leave feed to sit once you've mixed it. It's probably better to do it small batches anyway.

If you get the chance I'd love to see what you make of my grows and am watching with great interest your Animal Cookies. I looked into them but was kind of warned off them but maybe if there's something to be found, even one plant amongst 12, it might be worth it.

Yeah...you'd think! I'm not really sure on how long in advance you can mix your nutes. I know that allot of folks make teas and will bubble it for a day or two in advance of using it. I always use mine within a few hours of mixing. I like to give it time for the pH to drift and be readjusted, but then I use it, so I guess I'm a fan of small batches personally.

Sure bro...I'd love to check it out! I'll pop over. Be sure to change the bong-water! :wtf: Haha. I guess I've been lucky with the Animal Cookies. Mine have behaved pretty well. I've got the Animal Cookies from BCBD, and I truthfully don't have much faith in the cuts they used for their cross. I've heard bad rumors of both the cuts they used...AND how they acquired them! I won't go into detail 'cuz I'm not sure it's true, and I don't want to be spreading false accusations or info. I was given the beans by BCBD to test along with several other growers. Everybody has gotten WIDELY ranging results...most of them negative! Allot of crazy stretching and hermies, but again...I haven't seen any of that yet. But I REALLY don't have any faith in anything from BCBD anymore. IMO, their genetics are so prostituted now, I'd be afraid to purchase anything from them!

Having said all that negative shit about them...Yeah, the chance is there for some real fire! Even though I feel the cuts BCBD used are not the true GSC or Fire OG, as everybody thinks of them, there are some killer genetics buried in there! BCBD's cut of GSC DID just win a cup award, so while maybe not being the original...I'm sure it killz! Same with their Fire OG.

Best,

Max Frost

Max Frost

Here's a quick pic of my Animal Cookies. I think in the pic they are at Day 11 or 12 since flip.

AC

In this pic, the plant in the immediate foreground is a Speedberry (bred by the Farm's own Mr. GreenGenes). The rest are Animal Cookies.

ACs

Sorry for getting off-topic, Jay! you can have your thread back now! lol.

bigjay420

bigjay420

Here's a quick pic of my Animal Cookies. I think in the pic they are at Day 11 or 12 since flip.

View attachment 325425

In this pic, the plant in the immediate foreground is a Speedberry (bred by the Farm's own Mr. GreenGenes). The rest are Animal Cookies.

View attachment 325426

Sorry for getting off-topic, Jay! you can have your thread back now! lol.
Haha. No worries Max! I'm glad others are getting good info from a great grower. To any reading this, Max is definitely the man to go to for detailed instructions. He has helped me out TREMENDOUSLY.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Yeah...you'd think! I'm not really sure on how long in advance you can mix your nutes. I know that allot of folks make teas and will bubble it for a day or two in advance of using it. I always use mine within a few hours of mixing. I like to give it time for the pH to drift and be readjusted, but then I use it, so I guess I'm a fan of small batches personally.

Sure bro...I'd love to check it out! I'll pop over. Be sure to change the bong-water! :wtf: Haha. I guess I've been lucky with the Animal Cookies. Mine have behaved pretty well. I've got the Animal Cookies from BCBD, and I truthfully don't have much faith in the cuts they used for their cross. I've heard bad rumors of both the cuts they used...AND how they acquired them! I won't go into detail 'cuz I'm not sure it's true, and I don't want to be spreading false accusations or info. I was given the beans by BCBD to test along with several other growers. Everybody has gotten WIDELY ranging results...most of them negative! Allot of crazy stretching and hermies, but again...I haven't seen any of that yet. But I REALLY don't have any faith in anything from BCBD anymore. IMO, their genetics are so prostituted now, I'd be afraid to purchase anything from them!

Having said all that negative shit about them...Yeah, the chance is there for some real fire! Even though I feel the cuts BCBD used are not the true GSC or Fire OG, as everybody thinks of them, there are some killer genetics buried in there! BCBD's cut of GSC DID just win a cup award, so while maybe not being the original...I'm sure it killz! Same with their Fire OG.

Best,

Easy Max,

I'm with you on the small batch mixing I think. No need to risk messing something up for the sack of a few minutes extra work.

Yeah, ole BCBD. I've not heard specific stories about poor practice but their name, from my experience, is pretty much mud on the Farm. Like I said, I asked on here aboout them and was told universally not to believe that you'll actually end up with a GSC at all. They even said another prominent Cali seed banks seed shouldn't be trusted either so I giess it's going to be a long wait before I'll be able to get anything credible this side of the water.

I guess that's the double edged nature of getting what we all want, that being cannabis legalisation, in that it opens it up to the unscrupulous nature of capitalism. It's a shame because if they had stabilized the strain to the point of being able to confidently put it to market then they'd have got themselves the goose that lays golden eggs! Now, even if they sort it, the damage is done.

Despite the possibility of finding a diamond in the rough, they just don't represent themsleves as even a gamble people are willing to take, save for those gifted some seeds of course !

I'm watching yours with avid interest so the very best of luck, i'm excited for you.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

So glad to hear you've got them on the road to recovery Jay!!

It's almost as satisfying as watching them recover from problems as it is to watch them grow and prosper I find. I actually find it fun learning this stuff, if only they taught this shit in school I might have paid more attention.

Looking forward to the next update!

Max Frost

Max Frost

Haha. No worries Max! I'm glad others are getting good info from a great grower. To any reading this, Max is definitely the man to go to for detailed instructions. He has helped me out TREMENDOUSLY.

WOW! :happy: What kind words! Thanks so much, bro! (I'm not at all sure it's accurate, tho)! Haha. I'm happy to be able to help, man. Glad I didn't fuck 'em up for ya! (YET)! :eek:

Max Frost

Max Frost

Easy Max,

I'm with you on the small batch mixing I think. No need to risk messing something up for the sack of a few minutes extra work.

Yeah, ole BCBD. I've not heard specific stories about poor practice but their name, from my experience, is pretty much mud on the Farm. Like I said, I asked on here aboout them and was told universally not to believe that you'll actually end up with a GSC at all. They even said another prominent Cali seed banks seed shouldn't be trusted either so I giess it's going to be a long wait before I'll be able to get anything credible this side of the water.

I guess that's the double edged nature of getting what we all want, that being cannabis legalisation, in that it opens it up to the unscrupulous nature of capitalism. It's a shame because if they had stabilized the strain to the point of being able to confidently put it to market then they'd have got themselves the goose that lays golden eggs! Now, even if they sort it, the damage is done.

Despite the possibility of finding a diamond in the rough, they just don't represent themsleves as even a gamble people are willing to take, save for those gifted some seeds of course !

I'm watching yours with avid interest so the very best of luck, i'm excited for you.

Man, CC! You hit the nail on the head there, bro! If they had taken the time to test it, it could have been a great long-term thing, but they were just rushing to cash in on the "cookie hype" that's swept the industry. Matt would rather make the quick buck these days. They are NOT concerned with quality genetics these days. I'm sure they'll keep working on it, and it will change as time passes (hopefully for the better). These first ones though are just about them raking in the bucks while the strain is at it's hottest. No telling how much they'll bring in on them before word reaches the market. Actually, they'll go on selling for years because some people will just read the ad description and buy them. Unscrupulous? Yeah...I'd say so!

I hate that things are tough on you across the Pond, but have you checked out Attitude? Cali Connection is now offering the original GSC in Fem beans! Also, Sin City is a reputable breeder and they have got a GSC cross using the forum cut. Attitude is in the UK, so you should be able to get them! Here's a link to the cookies that Attitude has available right now:

I completely agree with you CC! If they'd just say something like: "Expect widely varying phenotypes from this unstabilized F1 cross, of varying potency and growth characteristics. Some individuals will exhibit negative growth charteristics and possible hermaproditism. We recommend removing these from the grow room as soon as identified. The "fire" is known to be found so far in three phenotypes. Look for....etc., etc."). If they'd be honest, and do something like that, then everybody is on a level playing field and growers can take their chances...but at least they'd be fully informed and it would be THEIR decision!

Well...screw BCBD! I'll finish running these, but it's likely to be the last BCBD gear I ever soak. Sorry for the rant! It just pisses me off!

Best,

bigjay420

bigjay420

Week 7 will be one of mystery and hopefulness. After a friend (thanks Max) helped me sort out the problems I was having, I'm wondering how long before these autos start to produce serious weight. I'm hoping these go 70 days at least. If they finish in advertised time, I fear they won't produce much. Bud sites have shot up everywhere since fixing some deficiencies, so I suppose I'm most worried that I've stunted them beyond repair. I'm back to a normal feeding schedule, so growth should pick back up. Funny thing is growth never really stopped, even when they were sick. They've been real troopers.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Max Frost

Max Frost

Week 7 will be one of mystery and hopefulness. After a friend (thanks Max) helped me sort out the problems I was having, I'm wondering how long before these autos start to produce serious weight. I'm hoping these go 70 days at least. If they finish in advertised time, I fear they won't produce much. Bud sites have shot up everywhere since fixing some deficiencies, so I suppose I'm most worried that I've stunted them beyond repair. I'm back to a normal feeding schedule, so growth should pick back up. Funny thing is growth never really stopped, even when they were sick. They've been real troopers.
View attachment 326036 View attachment 326039 View attachment 326045 View attachment 326046 View attachment 326047 View attachment 326048 View attachment 326049

I think you're gonna be OK, man. You can still see the effects of the pH being off in the pics, but hopefully that will begin to resolve now that you've got it up in range. It would be VERY helpful if you could grab a few pics under a "white" light (like a floro or MH). The HPS makes it hard to see what's really going on with the colors.

I really think they need to dry out more between your waterings still. What is the advertised finish time for your strains? Looking good man...they'll be back before you know it!

Best,

dre8791

dre8791

Greetings from the south land!!! I have recently taken up the most awesome "hobby" in the world... Growing cannabis. I've fallen in love with it for many reasons (besides "free" smoke)... But, the main reason is I get to see the fruits of my hard work every day. It definitely helps me appreciate the tlc that some one has put into the sweet (and, sometimes not so sweet...) chiba I've been smokin' for years! The wife loves it because it keeps me out of her hair... The neighbors love it because I spend much less time in my back yard acting a fool, and shooting guns. So, it's a win for EVERYONE!!! I came to this site to learn from the experience of others, so that i can become the best grower possible. Please, feel free to drop by and comment. I could use all the help I can get. =]

Now, for the goods. I started growing 5 Cream Caramel Autos from our friends at Sweet Seeds. Every seed germinated after 1 day in a paper towel. However, one seed didn't fall off, and ended up strangling one of my lovelies. I tried to remove it, and the stem snapped in half. So, I had to replace it with a Northern Lights X Big Bud Auto from World of Seeds. It germed in about 14 hours. All were planted in 1.5 gallon pots, filled with a 70/30 mix of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and perlite, placed under 300 Watts worth of fluorescent lights and watered once in the first 4 days. I also placed all pots on small milk crates for better airflow and drainage. The lights are on 24/7 right now, but I was wondering what would be best for flower... Thoughts? Between week 2-3, i'll move them to 600 Watts of MH, and then HPS for the flower. During flower, I'll be administering Fox Farms nutrients at 1/4 potency. Also, I need a proper vent system, but I can't cut holes in the closet, cuz the old lady might have my head on a stake. So, I'm worried about heat once the 600W gets installed. Suppose I'll figure out something...

1 Week:
View attachment 317891View attachment 317892View attachment 317893View attachment 317894

13 Days:
View attachment 317895View attachment 317896View attachment 317897View attachment 317898

I'm a bit concerned about some leaves drooping. But, other than that, I feel everything is going good. That's about it, for now. Will keep you updated as I go. Thanks for stopping by, y'all!!!

i would not put an inside plant outside for fear of bugs .

Them things looking real good.

bigjay420

bigjay420

I think you're gonna be OK, man. You can still see the effects of the pH being off in the pics, but hopefully that will begin to resolve now that you've got it up in range. It would be VERY helpful if you could grab a few pics under a "white" light (like a floro or MH). The HPS makes it hard to see what's really going on with the colors.

I really think they need to dry out more between your waterings still. What is the advertised finish time for your strains? Looking good man...they'll be back before you know it!

Best,

Average finish is 60 days. That's best case, I reckon. I'm hoping longer. That would be 10 days from now. And, these babies ain't ready...Will get some pics in white light soon. All seems to be straightening out. Even the eagle claw is rolling out.

Jay

Max Frost

Max Frost

Average finish is 60 days. That's best case, I reckon. I'm hoping longer. That would be 10 days from now. And, these babies ain't ready...Will get some pics in white light soon. All seems to be straightening out. Even the eagle claw is rolling out.

Jay

When they refer to number of days, with regular strains you start counting when you flip, so the total time does not include veg time. With the auto strains, I'm not sure! At any rate...you're waaay farther away from true maturity than 10 days! I suggest just forgetting about all that. They'll be ready when they're ready, but you've got several weeks before you even need to think about it. Glad they're coming around. They should continue to improve. Best thing you can do for them is let them dry out VERY thoroughly before watering, IMO.

Best,

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

Congrats on getting close to the finish line bro.. Are you using the 4x4 closet for both veg & flowering?.. Your autos will probably finish faster and better at 18-6 lighting..no need to flip autos.. you can keep that closet door ajar 24-7 for heat control too with autos.. Its always a learning process, glad you are having success.. If you can set up a separate area for veg'n, and flower in the closet, I would recommend trying some reg or fem seeds next.. best to ya.. DP

Top Bottom