Blackberry Gum

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Blackberry Gum smoke report:

Had Indian Bubblegum and Blackberry Gum joints down the beach trying to drum up some business Monday, lit up the bubble gum first & people were talking about feeling like being back in the 80s, lots of laughing and everyone who smoked it said they liked it and all got high and we were all having fun for a good half an hour, then I lit up the Blackberry Gum, and...

The good news is I got several requests for the Indian Bubblegum tomorrow when I'm down the beach again

The bad news is that the Blackberry Gum instantly turned yesterday's festivities into a hardcore no-fun show :/

Often when I read seed descriptions and something is called "narcotic" I smile, because it's not and I've always felt it was a silly & false description, but this Blackberry Gum is about as close as you're going to get to an opiate

All the Laughing stopped; all the loud banter among this half-dozen or so half drunk beachbums stopped immediately;

Someone soon said wow what the hell was that? I told them that was the Blackberry Gum and nobody wanted any more of it. We all agreed it would be great for insomnia late at night or total vegging-out, but it really did have a fast & heavy downer effect in that particular situation

I've smoked maybe a handful of joints of it previously and I didn't notice this to that extent, but the beach crew are more casual smokers with one or two exceptions and I also felt the same thing and did noticed everyone get quiet almost as soon as I lit and passed it

So it does have a deep sour blueberry taste (maybe even blackberry if your given to terps and flavors), and this Blackberry Gum will get you high for sure, but judging by what I saw yesterday it will also likely put you to sleep, so it might not be the first choice for beach parties and other festive occasions

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Blackberry Gum smoke report:

Had Indian Bubblegum and Blackberry Gum joints down the beach trying to drum up some business Monday, lit up the bubble gum first & people were talking about feeling like being back in the 80s, lots of laughing and everyone who smoked it said they liked it and all got high and we were all having fun for a good half an hour, then I lit up the Blackberry Gum, and...

The good news is I got several requests for the Indian Bubblegum tomorrow when I'm down the beach again

The bad news is that the Blackberry Gum instantly turned yesterday's festivities into a hardcore no-fun show :/

Often when I read seed descriptions and something is called "narcotic" I smile, because it's not and I've always felt it was a silly & false description, but this Blackberry Gum is about as close as you're going to get to an opiate

All the Laughing stopped; all the loud banter among this half-dozen or so half drunk beachbums stopped immediately;

Someone soon said wow what the hell was that? I told them that was the Blackberry Gum and nobody wanted any more of it. We all agreed it would be great for insomnia late at night or total vegging-out, but it really did have a fast & heavy downer effect in that particular situation

I've smoked maybe a handful of joints of it previously and I didn't notice this to that extent, but the beach crew are more casual smokers with one or two exceptions and I also felt the same thing and did noticed everyone get quiet almost as soon as I lit and passed it

So it does have a deep sour blueberry taste (maybe even blackberry if your given to terps and flavors), and this Blackberry Gum will get you high for sure, but judging by what I saw yesterday it will also likely put you to sleep, so it might not be the first choice for beach parties and other festive occasions
I gotta get me some of that! I bet it works wonders on pain management.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I gotta get me some of that! I bet it works wonders on pain management.
Very likely, & I suspect it would be wonderful in edibles too! šŸŖ I let it ripen for quite a while cuz I kept seeing clear trics, but as I was waiting for them to Cloud up others were quickly turning Amber as well, so I think the next Harvest of this strain will be earlier then the last one, and I'll note if the effect was different, I suspect it may be?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Blackberry Gum today: about to get a final trim then jarred to begin curing..
20190713 121747

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Clone of plant #1 today
20190725 074229

the possible heat stress and potassium issue is not new & has been treated, this is the only one with probs for some reason but I forgot to take a picture of the better ones this morning, so.. With this particular strain I could cut all affected leaves off and not even notice them gone lol!, a real nightmare to trim!

This is a Bud from her mom that I'm smoking off of right now, if there's a better night time smoke I haven't grown it yet, it hits like Thorazine
20190725 193047

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So the 20-20-20 isn't working out so great, it doesn't give me the flexibility I need and even though I'm pouring in calimagic at recommended dose of 5ml/gal (plus dolomite) I'm still seeing a little bit of calcium issue! And then there's that potassium issue too?!

20190618 155132

My soil pH is between 6 and 7, so it's not a lockout and my runoff PPM is 1000 - 1200 so this can be used but it's not what I'm going to keep doing, so the Schultz general purpose is going out to the tomatoes LOL it's good stuff but it's not a true one-part and it's a little tough to tweak and if I'm honest I don't want to make the effort

So I've ordered this..
Screenshot 20190725 190123 Chrome

it's backordered so it'll be here on the 5th, I already have the calcium nitrate and the Epsom

20190726 192710

the calcium nitrate is going to be a big plus and the reason I'm making the change cuz I'm sick of pouring in calimagic too

In pursuit of simplicity and ease Ive already tried megacrop one-part but it was their first formula and I had problems immediately with it, greenleaf's a great company, anybody who will send you free samples is a great company to do business with plus they listened to the complaints and they made a formula change too, however because of the flexibility and the abundant calcium I'm going to go with a simple 3-2-1 type blend from here out and forget about it

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So the 20-20-20 isn't working out so great, it doesn't give me the flexibility I need and even though I'm pouring in calimagic at recommended dose of 5ml/gal (plus dolomite) I'm still seeing a little bit of calcium issue! And then there's that potassium issue too?!

View attachment 883836

My soil pH is between 6 and 7, so it's not a lockout and my runoff PPM is 1000 - 1200 so this can be used but it's not what I'm going to keep doing, so the Schultz general purpose is going out to the tomatoes LOL it's good stuff but it's not a true one-part and it's a little tough to tweak and if I'm honest I don't want to make the effort

So I've ordered this..
View attachment 883834

it's backordered so it'll be here on the 5th, I already have the calcium nitrate and the Epsom

View attachment 883835

the calcium nitrate is going to be a big plus and the reason I'm making the change cuz I'm sick of pouring in calimagic too

In pursuit of simplicity and ease Ive already tried megacrop one-part but it was their first formula and I had problems immediately with it, greenleaf's a great company, anybody who will send you free samples is a great company to do business with plus they listened to the complaints and they made a formula change too, however because of the flexibility and the abundant calcium I'm going to go with a simple 3-2-1 type blend from here out and forget about it

I cant remember what soil mix you use but if I see 1000 ppm (at .5 conversion?) or more i would add only water until it was closer to 700 ppm (1.4 ec). I see calcium and potassium issues before that high of an ec runs off.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Using ffof, it comes out of the bag at about a thousand if I recall? I usually feed around 6 - 800 PPM and like my numbers about where they are, however I don't like the food I'm using, I prefer the flexibility to feed a little bit when I want rather than a big dose once a week or every 10 days like with the general purpose fertilizer, it's too easy to over or under feed

The issues started when I overfed a while ago and out of caution I've been holding back and going too light on nutes since then, so I suspect they weren't getting enough of anything ?

3-2-1 style blend is going to work out best for me, should have done it a long time ago! Would have gone with Jack's but I didn't want 50 pounds of it

Edit: this is just a suspicion but this is what I think is going on.. it didn't happen in the first run and I was feeding much heavier but since the overfeeding incident I've started to have these problems and I suspect it's because I've cut back on the feed and this is what I think is going:

The 20-20-20 has no calcium or magnesium and these plants are cal-mag whores as we all know so I'm overcompensating with added calcium and magnesium which is giving me 4 or 500 PPM per gallon out the gate, so I'm using less actual plant food, just a teaspoon or two per gal., but that puts me already over 600 closer to 800 if I'm not careful, so I suspect it's not getting the proper balance? Again that's just a hunch and I have no way of knowing for sure I only know it's not working out and there's not much flexibility and even less room for error

anyway it was an experiment kind of like the spikes but I doubt I change from this 321 style blend going forward

Last edited:
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

View attachment 883836

So I've ordered this..
View attachment 883834

View attachment 883835

My order arrives Aug 5-7. šŸ˜‰

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

My order arrives Aug 5-7. šŸ˜‰
..same here LOL
It's going to work great! I think I've got too much nitrogen locking out the calcium and potassium, but being unbalanced other things likely going on too, I'm not sure and I can't be worrying about it. I want the easiest simplest way/product believe me, I'd go back to megacrop in a minute if I didn't have all this Cal nitrate sitting around so I figure I might as well go with the 321, plus I like the fact that it supplies a lot of calcium too!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

..same here LOL
It's going to work great! I think I've got too much nitrogen locking out the calcium and potassium, but being unbalanced other things likely going on too, I'm not sure and I can't be worrying about it. I want the easiest simplest way/product believe me, I'd go back to megacrop in a minute if I didn't have all this Cal nitrate sitting around so I figure I might as well go with the 321, plus I like the fact that it supplies a lot of calcium too!
It was recommend by Saraphine and she laid out how she's using it and we've seen her grows. I'm planning on my first coco grow in a few weeks and getting excited. I'm exclusively outdoors/greenhouse and plan on getting a monthly harvest with the aid of solar LED spotlights. Veg for 4-6 weeks then move into a smaller greenhouse for flower. I believe it will work. We'll see.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I cant remember what soil mix you use but if I see 1000 ppm (at .5 conversion?) or more i would add only water until it was closer to 700 ppm (1.4 ec). I see calcium and potassium issues before that high of an ec runs off.
You got me curious so I did a proper slurry test..

It hasn't set for 15 minutes yet but I was surprised at the PPM!?

20190727 100236

In 10 minutes when it's done I'll put up both pH & ppm values

Edit: I'm both surprised and confused now, WTH??? Anybody got any ideas on this one?
20190727 102113

I just dual-point calibrated that meter yesterday so I don't know what the hell to think now

pH 5.1 / 1600ppm

Fresh Fox Farm ocean Forest out of the bag, mix 2 to 1 distilled water to soil as described in the slurry link above

..anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Check that one more time before I dumped it it didn't get any better pH stayed the same but...
20190727 103400

Just to show proper calibration
20190727 103708

Maybe I should start a separate thread on this maybe some Growers who have been mixing their own soil for years and decades might have some input because right now I'm more confused than I was when I started this test? šŸ¤Æ

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I have a hunch: I mentioned the local grow store went out of business, this was literally the last bag of ffof they had & was much wetter than the other ones to the point where I left it open to try let it dry out some

I wonder if that's throwing the pH off and I wonder if that's what's giving me these issues that I did not have in the last run ?

because everything in there now that's having an issue came out of this bag

I use Dolomite but only a tablespoon per gallon I think I might toss some more in but my runoff has all been above 6.0 ??

But where a slurry test takes dirt and makes it wet anyway I don't see how the damp soil would affect the outcome?

oh my God my head is splitting I wish I never did this test now! šŸ¤¬

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I have a hunch: I mentioned the local grow store went out of business, this was literally the last bag of ffof they had & was much wetter than the other ones to the point where I left it open to try let it dry out some

I wonder if that's throwing the pH off and I wonder if that's what's giving me these issues that I did not have in the last run ?

I use Dolomite but only a tablespoon per gallon I think I might toss some more in but my runoff has all been above 6.0 ??

But where a slurry test takes dirt and makes it wet anyway I don't see how the damp soil would affect the outcome?

Could be but if the bag was sealed it could only have been condensation and I can't see how that would negatively effect the product. I don't know, never used it but just remember it could always be worse and once you figure this out you'll know how to deal with it in the future.šŸ˜‰

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Could be but if the bag was sealed it could only have been condensation and I can't see how that would negatively effect the product. I don't know, never used it but just remember it could always be worse and once you figure this out you'll know how to deal with it in the future.šŸ˜‰
Me either?! I don't get these numbers?

I know all their dirt was stored indoors, this was obviously on the bottom I never saw the storeroom but I'm assuming it was on a pallet, could have been on the ground i suppose and gotten some groundwater? not positive what's going on?! I knew that was fairly hot soil but not that hot and the pH is shocking! I'm going to their website to see if they make a claim about the pH/PPM of their products

I have several plants in the ffof from the same store but from a previous bag, when I get a minute I'll take a slurry from them but they've been in that soil for months so I'm not sure if that has anything to add to this test, but I'll do it out of curiosity

on the back of the bag it says "pH adjusted"? I suppose I could try to call them but not sure if I'll get an answer on a Saturday?

20190727 120037

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Mystery Solved!

Screenshot 20190727 121039 Google

Either its a bad bag or a bad product?

Ps. The slurry test in the link above recommended 2 to 1 soil to water slurry test,

usually I do one to one ratio, which this article above uses, later I'll try a one-to-one soil to water ratio test and see if the results are different

I don't think they're going to be any better, if they change at all though

On the positive I'm now fairly sure my 20-20-20 isn't causing this issue, I didn't think so I haven't done anything different with the exception of some overfeeding that pissed some Gorilla Glue off but other strains just greened up and have since been corrected

Everything started with plants in this particular bags soil, but I'm still switching to the masterblend for the reasons above

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

If the bag is old and wet the buffer likely was affected. Also the nutrients. Organic soil is considered out of date 6 months after bagging.

Also/or fresh soil may need watering and about a week for the buffer to activate. I always mix real well with perlite and test in a few days out of my bin.

Just pour through test. The runoff is always 6.5 with my 8.0 150 ppm well water. And the ec varies a bit from 1.4 to 2.0 with about 25% perlite mixed in. I use general hydro ph drops and a blue lab truncheon.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Ocean forest has vent holes. It is not sealed.

Poor storage is a real issue. And freshness.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I looked at my paperwork and I was wrong; most of the things in there now did not come out of this wet bag so it hasn't caused any issues so far, however I hit everything with Dolemite, so.. I guess I'll just chalk this one up to WTH!? and move on?

I never said it was a foxfarm product fault, I noticed the wetness and thought about if I wanted to use it or not when I opened it. I've not used any other soil but foxfarm Ocean Forest, it's not too hot as some may say, I love it! However I'm not loving this particular bag but I suspect this was the bottom of the bottom bag :/

Top Bottom