Blaze's 2012 Adventure

• Thread starter Blaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mogrow

Mogrow

Blaze//// sorry i'm late but sub'd now. love the pics of everything and the details of how you grow. hope the weather is good this year, makes things so much easier...
i've been busier than a one armed paper hanger trying to get done planting before the full moon on saturday, thank god for my women and her tick checks.. had em all over me again today.
peace from the ozarks to the sierras...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey Mo, I'm the one in the Sierra, Blaze is west of me.

Blaze, great update! We are definitely in for a visit to see those digs, but the way it's going it doesn't look like we'll be making a trip out your way until it's time for the RW&B party. Just too busy and too gimpy to make good use of my time.

I'm having a hell of a time with my seed starts, I would say the majority of those I planted haven't emerged and it's been well over a month, so I'm callin' 'em deads. I've never used the peat pucks before for starting seeds, and this shit sucks, I've never had such a problem. Usually, once they're germed I know they'll emerge. Soil only from now on.

Blaze

Blaze

Hey Sea, if they haven't cracked after that much time they probably won't. I hate those peat pucks, waste of money in my opinion, as are most seed starting plugs. Good mellow soil works the best, you don't need anything fancy. Try the method I outlined earlier next season, I promise you'll have 'em up and cracking in less than a week.

Got all my pots finished today and filled them up with soil as well as transplanted all the ladies. This should be an interesting experiment - I know plants grow a good amount of roots during flowering, but how much has been a subject of much debate. I am very curious to see how big a root ball I end up with after transplanting from a 5 gallon to a 30 gallon pot right at the beginning of flower. I'm pretty confident they will fill out the space but I've been wrong before.

Attached are some pics of the home made 'smart pots.' They are built out of 3' tall 4" x 2" econo-fencing, goper wire, bailing wire, and landscaping fabric. To make the pots, we cut the econo-fencing to the desired length (in this case we cut in 78" sections to give us a 30 gallon pot), then folded it in half. The two ends are wired together which gives us a cylinder that is about 2' in diameter and 18" tall. Folding the 3' fence in half creates some 'tabs' of wire along one edge, which will be our bottom. The gopher wire is then threaded over the 'tab's, folded around the cylinder, and then attached in 8 places with a piece of bailing wire. The tabs are bend inward to form a little lip along the inside of the bottom. This gives us our frame. Next a 7' section of landscape fabric is cut out and draped over the edge of the pot to give us our wall. More bailing wire is used to secure it in place. A 3' x 3' square of landscape fabric is placed in the bottom of the pot to give it a bottom (this can be omitted if you don't plant on ever moving the pot). When the pot is filled the soil presses the fabric against the wire frame holding it in place. Total cost for a 30 gallon was $7 each. They do take a good amount of time to assemble however. They aren't pretty but they are about half the cost of a store bought pot and the wire frame will last for years.

The pots were filled with our soil mix which consisted of the base soil and compost I purchased earlier in the year, Mykos, Bokashi, Azomite, Calphos, Bone meal, and seaweed powder. I was hoping to save the smart pots, but the roots had started to grow thru the bottom so I had to cut them out. Never, ever plant smart pots directly in the ground - the claim from the companies that you can do so is total BS. Always remove the smart pot before transplanting. Roots will grow through them eventually when you plant like this, but they will SEVERELY retard the roots from spreading out into the surrounding soil. The same goes with those crappy manure pots - anything strong enough to work as a pot will create a barrier for the roots and slow their growth. If you want a container that can be planted directly into the ground Google 'soil blocking.'

Final shot is of the transplanted ladies. Looking much more happy now that they are in f resh new soil and have more space to grow. A triangular spacing method was used to maximize our canopy space. This is one of the many helpful bio-intensive techniques I learned from Jonh Jeavons books. If you are into organic and growing more than just cannabis I highly recommend his books.

1 IMAG0328
2 IMAG0329
3 IMAG0330
4 IMAG0346
5 IMAG0327
6 IMAG0348
7 IMAG0347
8 IMAG0349
9 IMAG0350
10 IMAG0352
Dunge

Dunge

In order to induce flowering this time of year I am pulling two layers of 6 mil black poly over the greenhouse at 8 am and 8 pm every day. Unless you are using real black out fabric two layers of poly is a must - one layer does not block out enough light.
This is very interesting information.
I ran a light dep tent last summer with one layer and had some trouble.
But from inside the tent, the light trouble looked to be more from leaks than the single layer.
But another layer would be so easy. for this summer.
I'll try it. Thanks.

Blaze

Blaze

The 6 mil isn't totally light proof. If you sit in there for a while you can see that you get this sort of dull grey glow coming through the plastic with just one layer. Not only that but having that second layer helps make sure you don't have light leaks around the edges. Light leaks will definitely cause problems, just like with indoor. Silage tarp would be ideal but its much more pricey, and I didn't want to spend too much on the dep since it is a temporary set up that will just get used for this season.

Blaze

Blaze

Snapped a few more pictures today. The dep greenhouse is pretty much all set up, and the plants are about one week into flower at this point - only 9 more weeks to go, give or take. The drip irrigation is all in, as are the horta-nova trellis supports. The bottoms and inside of the plants have also been pruned to help with airflow as well. All the pots were topped dressed with some mocha 2-4-6 bat guano and earthworm castings a few days ago. I've been finding mixing the gunao with a bit of castings is a good way to help keep the guano dust from getting everywhere. Now that this project is almost done it's time to get the full term outdoor ready to go for a mid to late May planting.

However the humidity has been getting really high at night in the greenhouse, I need to get some ventilation and/or some dehumidifiers set up to deal with it ASAP. How is everyone else out there who's done light dep deal with that issue?

I included a few more 'flower' shot as usual - some artichokes that are getting close to harvest, and some assorted roses that have begun blooming over this last week.

IMAG0363
IMAG0370
IMAG0371
IMAG0372
IMAG0373
IMAG0374
IMAG0375
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Everything looks really good Blaze. I love the artichokes! Are those easy to grow?
Do they grow well in the summer heat?

However the humidity has been getting really high at night in the greenhouse, I need to get some ventilation and/or some dehumidifiers set up to deal with it ASAP. How is everyone else out there who's done light dep deal with that issue?

Blaze that is a great question. You know me...Im a half ass newbie. This morning when I took the platic off, it was wet on the inside. Just like most mornings..I have no Humidity meter out there but, Im sure its close to 100% before I take the plastic off. :(

Last year, I solved that problem by only covering them from 6pm til it was dark around 9pm. That way the humidity didn't have a chance to build up in there.

And I should be doing that now :confused: ..
Im gonna start uncovering them as soon as the Supplemental lights on the other plants go out.

Its just a little scary for me, because that how I got bit by a Rattlesnake last year.

I was uncovering the plants in the dark, with flip folps on my feet. I did it that way everynight. Finnaly one night, there was a rattler sleeping on the ground in the plastic. He didn't rattle...just bit me in the foot.
I was in the hospital for 10 days. Luckily the plants were just about done. And I was able to trim in a wheel chair and smoking lots of Harlequin. :)
I have Snake boots now.

So, everyone careful of snakes in the garden.!

I need a pro like you to tell me how to fix this Humdity problem. :)
I will be watching

Blaze

Blaze

Hey Ken - I had thought about doing what you mentioned but I don't think it will work at this site. The greenhouse is right next to my house and the glow from the lights at night would mess with them. I am going to set up one of my dehumidifiers from my drying shed in there tonight and see it that does the trick. Artichokes are darn easy, at least in my climate. The ones a snapped pics of are volunteers- they have't gotten any extra care what so ever - not even extra watering. They are more of a spring crop in our area - they don't handle intense heat well from what some other gardeners have told me.

Last year was a bad year for rattlers here too - encountered about half a dozen of them in the garden. Also had a REALLY close call with one - much too close for comfort. I was lying on my back, thinning the inner canopy of one of my plants. I caught a little bit of movement out of the corner of my eye and rolled over to see what it was. Starting me in the face literally less than a foot away was a rattle snake - the movement I noticed was him starting to coil in order to position himself to strike. If I hadn't noticed him when I did I'm pretty sure I would have gotten bit in the face or head. I don't think I've ever jumped that far or moved that fast in my entire life - took me a while before my hands stopped shaking enough to go get a shovel and decapitate it. I can hear Seamaiden yelling already about me killing it haha... I DO like snakes, even rattlers, and will leave them be 99% of the time, but having one chillin' in one of the plants was just too damn dangerous. I always thoroughly inspect the base of my plants before I start sticking my head and hands in there now, and boots are a MUST.

Dunge

Dunge

Last summer I had a light dep tent inside a greenhouse/tent.
(will use double layer black plastic this year)
I had a fan 30 min on/off moving air from the tent space into the light dep tent.
That moisture that collects on the inside of the outer tent is a good thing.
It is the result of water being pulled out of the air.
The net result of this is to reduce the humidity inside the light dep tent.

This was the theory guiding my actions at any rate.
Weather conspired to overwhelm the situation, and fungus eventually forced an early harvest.

But I believe it was working, just not well enough in the poor circumstances.

Just a little heated outside air in would work wonders, but it's too hard.(whine intonation)

Chobble

Chobble

Sub'd. Blaze your garden is going to be booming :D. I really wish I had the room you do. Those strains are pretty great :P Im stoked on that Guava Kush, I've been looking to get that for myself. I hope you a big harvest and Im definitely going to tag along for the ride.

Chobble

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
They are usually very easily relocated, Blaze. If we get a chance, if I find any snakes at all, now that we have a video camera then perhaps I can show you how it can be done with things you find around the house/property. I used to use nothing more than a trash can and a pool net (no more bare-handing for me).

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
In a previous life I relocated a few skunks. Catch em in a trash can, drive 10 miles away, and let em go.

outwest

Reactions: mal

Latest posts

Top Bottom