Blaze's 2012 Adventure

• Thread starter Blaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
They are usually very easily relocated, Blaze. If we get a chance, if I find any snakes at all, now that we have a video camera then perhaps I can show you how it can be done with things you find around the house/property. I used to use nothing more than a trash can and a pool net (no more bare-handing for me).

My wife caught this Rattler last year with a trash can. She crazy like you Seamaiden.
I drove it about a mile away..and let it loose.
Rattelerintrash

just a little guy

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My wife caught this Rattler last year with a trash can. She crazy like you Seamaiden.
I drove it about a mile away..and let it loose.
View attachment 216788
just a little guy
It's GORGEOUS! Now, imagine that, but GREEN. Oh, here's a pic, colored pretty much exactly like the baby that I got by the tail that then got me. I couldn't leave it alone.
(This isn't *the* snake that got me, it just looks most like it. Mojave Green.)

Balphoto 80
Blaze

Blaze

Goddamn that's a big snake Ken. Wouldn't want to run into him in the garden! I'd love to learn a bit of snake handling too Sea - maybe next time we meet up in person? Rattlers are awesome pest control so long as they aren't in a place where they might bite myself or my dogs.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I find them easier to handle if they're at least 3' long, 2' and under you have issues because they can double back up on themselves, whereas with a larger snake, as long as you keep the front 1/3 of its body on the ground, it can't do that as easily. I can't handle them by hand any more, tongs or a hook from now on, neither of which I own. So I'd use a trash can and a long stick if I were to come across one.

If it's a king snake, gopher snake, black racer or anything like that I'm catching it by hand, ASA-motherfuckin'P! Towel or similar is easiest, covering your feet and you just peeking over. This is how I catch snakes on the road, for example. Even if I just have a box or a jacket I can usually get them IF they can't get to cover quickly enough, or if I've managed to corner them, like the juvie king snake I found last year. Well, *I* didn't find it, the blue jays showed me exactly where the poor thing was. B&W, just beautiful animal, must have just shed, well fed, and harangued by the jays.

Blaze

Blaze

Set up a 70 pint dehumidifier set up in the dep house which seems to be doing the trick. Plants weren't dripping wet this morning when I uncovered them, which was good to see. Hoping that will be enough to keep it in check since setting up ventilation would be real pain in the ass. Found a mid of mold on some of the stems, so I will be spraying them all with OxiDate and JMS Stylet oil this evening. Thinkingthis will probably become a weekly think to make sure the mold and mildew stay in check.

Now that the dep is situated it's time to prep the soil for our full term outdoor. I send in samples to FGL Inc. two weeks ago to see where our levels were at in the soil. Knowing what is in your soil and what you have to add to get it to where you want it is very helpful. So pic 2 & 3 are of the existing soil that was grown last year - as you can see it is pretty depleted of the primary nutrients, especially nitrogen. Now cannabis is a very heavy feeder so I tend to ignore the graph on the right and just look at the numbers because even at what is considered 'very high' on the graph is often still too low for cannabis. For example according to the chart 5.0 lbs per 1,000 square feet of N is optimum - but we really want ours closer to 100+ for cannabis. Lots of calcium also needs to be added - but other than that the soil looks good. The compost and manure should take care of the rest of the secondaries and the micros. The other important things to look at is the CEC and % of Organic Matter (OM) - these should both be high. Generally rule of thumb for most plants is the OM should be at 5% - but for our special plant we want is more in the %15-%20+ range. I will be using composted dairy cow manure to boost the OM to where we want it.

Pic 4 and 5 are of the new, fresh soil and compost blend I bought this year. Now this is where the soil testing pays off - we can see that the potassium is more than sufficient. In fact it is so high if we had added more to the soil we might have caused lock out. So not only would have blindly following a soil recipe in a case like this have wasted money, it could have also fucked up our plants as well. Despite what the graph claims we still need a lot of Nitrogen and Phosphorous though. The one concern I had when I first saw these results is that the Chloride content is very high. However the test plants we did it in have no burn so I think we are OK. This was the same mix the light dep plans are in and they are kicking butt so it would seem cannabis can tolerate high Chloride. Luckily Chloride is an anion and leaches out of the soil very rapidly so it is easy to flush. It is rather odd to see high Chloride levels though - usually excess chloride comes from water contamination, not the soil. I'm thinking that the duck manure might be the culprit for that one. The CEC and % of OM are nice and high though - right where I want it.

I'll be taking samples after we amend everything so we can compared and see where the levels are at after we add all the other amendments in.

IMAG0389
IMAG0390
IMAG0391
IMAG0392
IMAG0393
fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Any rattlesnake on my 4 acres dies!One bit my dog in the leg 2 years ago and we barely saved him.Sea,you got bit by a mojave green?I did not know they ranged that far north,if it was a green your damn lucky to be able to tell the story.we have quite a few breeds here but the greens,sidewinders and those pissy little southern pacifics will chase your ass down!

Brain

Brain

Sup, B. Thought I'd log in start reading this forum again. The other place just doesn't have the folks talking our kind of shop. Nice thread.

-Shmokin

Blaze

Blaze

Hey glad you stopped by! There's riff-raff on here for sure, just like any public forum, but quite a few knowledgeable folks as well. Definitely better than IC and the Island hehe....

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I think the riff-raff is pretty nominal here compared to pretty much any other online forum I've been a part of. Either way, I love the detailed outdoor diary. . .and the awesome cold water instructions!

outwest

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Any rattlesnake on my 4 acres dies!One bit my dog in the leg 2 years ago and we barely saved him.Sea,you got bit by a mojave green?I did not know they ranged that far north,if it was a green your damn lucky to be able to tell the story.we have quite a few breeds here but the greens,sidewinders and those pissy little southern pacifics will chase your ass down!
Not if I get them first. Snakes are too easy and predictable to me, I'd rather deal with them than most humans. I was between Yucca Valley and Twenty-nine Palms when I found the snake, not too far off Old Woman Springs Road, very near Landers.

I have yet to see a single rattler up here in the Sierra, though I hear lots of people complaining about them. So, they'll go and kill them, and we'll have yet more vermin that carry diseases like bubonic plague (yes, it's here in the states and in California) to deal with. Makes no sense to me. The snakes are just protecting themselves, I personally feel no need for revenge. Wasps...? I'm a little less kind to them, but learned one year the cost of removing them entirely, so we allow some nests to stay.

Hopefully your dog learned its lesson and doesn't fuck around with rattlesnakes any more. Just like me! LMAO!

Blaze, as I've been reading, most soils have sufficient K levels, and therefore do not need supplementation. Are you having any testing done for soil microbes?

Blaze

Blaze

No microbe testing, at least not yet. Maybe in the future - putting that sort of info to work in a practical way would take quite an investment of time and money I think. One thing I've noticed - if you live in an area that has lots of wine grapes the local compost always seems to be very high in K from all the composted pumice. However what is "sufficient" for most plants would be "very low" for cannabis so keep that in mind.

First pic is of the seedlings that were started 6 weeks ago. The first ones are starting to show sex, and we've begun planting some of them. Saw a huge snake yesterday as well - a king snake I think? He was big - well over 3' long and moving fast. Managed to get a semi-decent picture of him as well as the wild Iris I came across trying to chase him down. Last two pics are of the light dep - two weeks into flower now. Got a few fans rigged up as well to help with the heat during the day. Really need to get them on a more regular compost tea regiment though, I've been slacking!

IMAG0397
IMAG0400
IMAG0404
IMAG0410
IMAG0413
IMAG0414
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
LMAO! You must have been high as fuck, but hey, that kinda thing happens to me all the time. Good fun.
Beautiful Plants and snake Blaze!

King snakes are normally very docile. They can be picked up and handled.
(I have had one poop on me though)
They eat Rattlesnakes too.
Indeed, much more docile than those deadly and aggressive racers, and gopher snakes, IME.

Blaze, that thing is GORGEOUS oh my God. I'da crapped and squealed like a little girl if I'd seen it (and then done my best to catch it).

Blaze

Blaze

I'm hoping he will stick around the garden. The number of snakes out and about this year is insane! I am seeing them literally almost every day. No rattlers yet though. Even after I posted those last pics, I went outside to do some more work, and found a huge gardener snake chillin' with all my seedlings. I couldn't get a very good pic of him though, he kept trying to get away. My buddy caught him and we let him loose in my neighbors raspberry patch.

Had a good scare yesterday when a PG & E helicopter that was checking the power lines buzzed us. Luckily all the plants are still inside a cold frame so they couldn't see anything. Really annoys me when they come in at tree top level. They totally freaked out my neighbors heard of cows as well as our dogs, and pissed of pretty much everyone in the neighborhood. They are SUPPOSED to stay at 500', but this guy was at most 100' off the ground. I always get nervous when they fly that low - all it would take is for them to clip one of the taller trees and we would have a downed aircraft in the valley. Wouldn't be the first time it has happened either - a pair of CDF bombers crashed on the ridge behind my place about 10 years ago.

IMAG0420
Top Bottom