Bong terms??

• Thread starter iamachavvy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

iamachavvy

Hi, i am looking to invest in a nice bong, but since i have been looking, i have been getting quite confused with all the different things some have on them.

For example, the bong i just looked at is a percolator bong with ash catcher, ice notches and a 4 arm percolator.

For starts what does percolator mean? and whats a 4 arm one? Also what are ice notches?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm still learning, too, but I believe a percolator basically breaks up the air intake stream into finer bubbles, which seems to allow smoother hits. An ash-catcher is just that--keeps you from having a nasty bong, I think. The rest of it, I have no idea. Whenever I look at bongs like that the only things I can think of are; How would I pull a hit through that? and, How the HELL do you clean that?

jagle

jagle

ice notches are places for you to put ice in the bong cooling down the water and therefore the smoke, making it easier to hit

R

RareDanknessRep

Hi, i am looking to invest in a nice bong, but since i have been looking, i have been getting quite confused with all the different things some have on them.

For example, the bong i just looked at is a percolator bong with ash catcher, ice notches and a 4 arm percolator.

For starts what does percolator mean? and whats a 4 arm one? Also what are ice notches?

I. Percolators (aka percs) - these are inline air inlets that route the smoke through a sub-chamber of water to affect further cooling
A. Types of percs
1. Dome perc: This style of perc breaks up the smoke stream by forcing it up an inner tube into a dome, which redirects the smoke back down, through an isolated chamber of water
2. Tree perc: This style of perc directs the smoke through a series of small glass stems that route through an isolated chamber of water
3. Newschool percs: A variety of new perc designs have started appearing limited only by the creativity of glass artists - my favorite new style is flying saucer shaped with diagonal slices into the edge of parabola.

II. Ash Catchers - these are typically Glass-on-glass (GonG) fittings that go into the downstem (aka female) of the bong (where the bowl typically goes) with some form of percolator. While their cooling efficiency is usually not as good as an inline perc, they're called Ash Catchers because they bear the brunt of catching all the tars and getting filthy before the smoke travels into the bong itself.

III. Ice notches - these are notches in the top portion of the bong's tube intended to hold ice cubes to cool the smoke on the way up. In my experience, you never need room for more than 1 or 2 cubes.

Lemme know if there's any more jargon I can help with - or if you need pics.

S

SkymasterSmoke

I. Percolators (aka percs) - these are inline air inlets that route the smoke through a sub-chamber of water to affect further cooling
A. Types of percs
1. Dome perc: This style of perc breaks up the smoke stream by forcing it up an inner tube into a dome, which redirects the smoke back down, through an isolated chamber of water
2. Tree perc: This style of perc directs the smoke through a series of small glass stems that route through an isolated chamber of water
3. Newschool percs: A variety of new perc designs have started appearing limited only by the creativity of glass artists - my favorite new style is flying saucer shaped with diagonal slices into the edge of parabola.

II. Ash Catchers - these are typically Glass-on-glass (GonG) fittings that go into the downstem (aka female) of the bong (where the bowl typically goes) with some form of percolator. While their cooling efficiency is usually not as good as an inline perc, they're called Ash Catchers because they bear the brunt of catching all the tars and getting filthy before the smoke travels into the bong itself.

III. Ice notches - these are notches in the top portion of the bong's tube intended to hold ice cubes to cool the smoke on the way up. In my experience, you never need room for more than 1 or 2 cubes.

Lemme know if there's any more jargon I can help with - or if you need pics.

I'm shocked that most people arent used to the bong terms. We're always toking in Colorado!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've been toking almost 40 years now. That doesn't mean that I hang out in head shops. If you have kids, a life, house, etcetera, it's very easy to get behind the times. Hell, first time someone gave me hash (after a 20+ year hiatus) I was ready to go do knife hits, or the old "stick on a pin stuck through a paper plate" bit.

We got OLD.

R

RareDanknessRep

To be honest, when I moved out to Colorado, I was intimidated by all the heady-glass-as-status-symbol I encountered... Shit, I think that's at least 50% of why I invented a piece - so I could one up those punks! :)

F

Frank_Castle

LOL. I've been learning too. Who knew trying to buy good glass was so difficult? :)

I've been searching through the web and have yet to see a good tutorial/pictorial of everything that has to do with a bong, how it works, terminology, diameter, accessories etc.

If we are allowed to mention other forums here I can post some links to some of the glass websites. They're a bunch of elitist pricks ;)LOL but they sure know glass.

S

SkymasterSmoke

It took me forever to settle with this Sheldon Black. I was going to get a Grav Labs originally but I decided to go alittle better with the SB. I defintally know a decent amount about glass and I'm sorry if I offended you Seamaiden, I was just happy because I was hitting my new bong.. I feel ya on the paper plate method.. haha. I still like joints though.

I

iamachavvy

I'm shocked that most people arent used to the bong terms. We're always toking in Colorado!

It's a bit different when its not legal in your country. Nearly all the people i know who toke do so smoking a joint. I have a bong now, but it's a realy cheap, basic, plastic thing that feels like its ripping your throat apart everytime i have a hit lol So i was looking to do a lil research on here and find a nice piece of glasswork :bongsmi:

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It took me forever to settle with this Sheldon Black. I was going to get a Grav Labs originally but I decided to go alittle better with the SB. I defintally know a decent amount about glass and I'm sorry if I offended you Seamaiden, I was just happy because I was hitting my new bong.. I feel ya on the paper plate method.. haha. I still like joints though.
Not offended! More like feeling a little defensive, because when I was young I planned on always being hip to the sitch. Epic Fail on that one. D'oh!

R

RareDanknessRep

It's a bit different when its not legal in your country. Nearly all the people i know who toke do so smoking a joint. I have a bong now, but it's a realy cheap, basic, plastic thing that feels like its ripping your throat apart everytime i have a hit lol So i was looking to do a lil research on here and find a nice piece of glasswork :bongsmi:

In that kind of situation, if you're looking for top-of-the-line, I'd suggest you look into the following manufacturers and determine which you prefer most:

- ph(x)
- illadelph
- sheldon black

Or (shameless plug!) you could look into an Incredibowl, for an entirely unique smoking experience!

Dz1PnK

Dz1PnK

top 3 overhyped high end glass companies

1 roor
2 sheldon black
3 illadelph

just imo, they all hit nicely, but id rather have a stone, sovereignty, syn, or toro micro for the price these played out companies glass. got my hvy beaker/ 8arm for 100 less than a plain illy or roor or sb beaker. hvy been around forever, made in cali, n ALOT thicker. that said illy upstem ashcatchers are the shiz and the coils are cool too. they should come with 2 coils tho so u can have 1 chillin while u use the 2nd. just too much work. i hardly even use my coil since i got my sgw waffle/lw10arm. stacks like no other. ill never own another roor unless its given to me

aleYarok

aleYarok

fuck roor sheldon black illadelph and phx (lol)

if you want a real bong only options are Toro and Sovereignty Glass
once you hit one you will know

G

GorillaDaze

all depends on what you want to smoke, how you smoke and where you smoke. Also on value for money combined with quality.

German Glass is the best sci glass you can buy, full stop!.

USA win hands down on art glass heady pieces.

give me some more details and I can recommend some to you.

S

SkymasterSmoke

Seriously? All the hate on SB and ROOR? We're talking about bongs here not one hitters! SB and ROOR rock.

S

SkymasterSmoke

Lol it's so funny Chav because when you get that nice glass piece you'll just be in awe because I know how cheap and just meh plastic bongs are. Also when you buy go glass on glass.. if you can get it in UK. I can help you find a site that sells there if you'd like man.. I'm a huge glass fan so always into this shit. Also make the gravity bong if you can't get one or prefer that.. Come on you and your homies are behind the times! lol Joints are good but you really want to Ermac your mind when you toke!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOsNCan5dM4[/youtube]

aleYarok

aleYarok

roor and sheldon are old school.... hardly any innovation...

now check out all the sweet things companies like toro and sg are making... shit will blow your mind.

toro:
SG:
Mobius:
new tubes by ghost:
us tubes:
migrant:
SWISS:

the really long threads you should start from the back as thats where the most recent stuff is. like that toro thread is 4 years long, so all the stuff at beginning is ooollllddddddd (but still sicker than a roor).

lol roor and sheldon dont have shit on any of those tubes

S

SkymasterSmoke

Yeah but not everyone can dish out the cash or find a decent priced Toro and so what if they're old school? It worked.. right? That's like saying all old school cars, music, anything isnt good because they arent right up there with the brand new technology on the market! :P

Top Bottom