Bongs: beaker vs straight tube??

• Thread starter JH420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JH420

JH420

I'm gonna throw down some coin for a Roor bong in the near future. I was wondering how a straight tube functions or performs in comparison to a beaker? Also what are the differences with the type of hit you get with a 22" vs 18" length...does one give a bigger, stronger hit? Does one give a smoother hit? Thanks alot in advance.

Moe Danks

Moe Danks

first off id say go with an illadelph over a RooR. illadelphs are usually a lot stronger than a RooR for the same price.

and for beaker vs. straight tube.
straight tubes are nice, one solid straight toke.
beakers(what i love) give you a nice little extra rush of smoke when you clear it. i also feel like you get a bigger hit off of a beaker. i say this because most people clear the bong when it is filled up. with a beaker you are getting a lot more smoke than a straight tube.

and for 18'' vs 22'' or 24'' or w/e.
i like the 18''. it seems to be a perfect size. i think the 2 footers are just priced up more and harder to clear.

hope this helps.:animbong:

JH420

JH420

So the beaker gives a bigger volume of smoke? Does the extra water in the beaker have an extra filtering effecting on the smoke?

R

ReelBusy1

I'm gonna throw down some coin for a Roor bong in the near future. I was wondering how a straight tube functions or performs in comparison to a beaker? Also what are the differences with the type of hit you get with a 22" vs 18" length...does one give a bigger, stronger hit? Does one give a smoother hit? Thanks alot in advance.

you need to add a poll to this thread JH

T

they call me j

So the beaker gives a bigger volume of smoke? Does the extra water in the beaker have an extra filtering effecting on the smoke?

the volume of water is irrelevent to the filtration. the size of bubbles being passed through the water dictates level of filtration. get a diffuser/percilator whatever they call them.....deciding between beaker and straite tube MAKES NO DIFFERENCE unless internal chamber volume is different. all personal choice.

K

keenstylie

i personally prefer the str8 tubes..they fill up thicker but dont have as much potential space as a beaker...also theres a lil more filtration in the beakers..thus giving a lil smoother rip..tho not as thick in my opinion...i personally prefer str8 tubes with 1 perc and an ashcatcher to cut down on cleaning...if ur in the states you should check out illadelph...ive owned alot of waterpipes including roor, phx, hurricane, toro, jerome baker, german roors, dif customs ftom a few lesser known dudes, and i have to say if ur in the market for a waterpipe i would go with 1 illadelph (their new line is so sick & they update and improve thier ashcatchers and bowls all the time)2 KIND CREATIONS out of fort collins CO he will do anything you want custom and for a fraction of the price..kind also uses sick colors in thier percs..3 Toro if u can find one..and a close 4 is US RooR they have sick tree percs and hit second to none... OK SO...i thind you should fork out extra do for a str8 double perc (1perc 1 normal chamber) and try to get a TREE PERC thats at least 18 inches...if u have the money grab an ashcatcher it will help on the maintain.....like i said ive owned alota dif wsterpipes but its all about preferance n its hard if u havn`t had 1... i have now a triple DOME PERC beaker n a double tree perc str8 tube...the str8 fills heavier n stays thicker while the beaker is smoother but not nearly as thick...i noticed the same thing when i had a roor ice master and a dealers cup (beaker) the smoke in the str8 icemaster would go yellow-brown on me while the dealers cup red label was just white... i cant really explain it..ill try n get my bud camera so i can post some milk shots for ya..a pic def worth a thousand words.. i hop this helps n i hope you can get an illy they are so sick..peace
keEn

JH420

JH420

Thanks for the replies...from this I gather that the straight tube will give me a denser smoke but less quantity of smoke compared to a beaker (which is what I'm lookin for). So I'm pretty much leaning to the straight tube, now on to the 18" vs 22" question...the shorter version will be a bit cheaper and less prone to falling over, what are the advantages (if any) to the 22"?
For one, I think it might be a better size form in terms of putting the base on my lap and then not having to bend my head over far to take a rip...other than that I'm curious to hear about the quality and quantity of smoke differences.

While I am very open to Illadelph and other brands BUT I can not buy them locally and am not really comfortable about getting one shipped...extra costs and worries about it breaking in shipping (I probably would not bother making a claim with the shipper if it broke)...plus I don't get to hold one in my hand and try it first that makes a big difference to me before I layout a few hun.

NwolkZark

NwolkZark

Hard call, straight tubes really clear fast. After using a bubble and a beaker for awhile a straight was just a slap in the face and it was nice:P If you use ice, a straight tube will need a little emptyed out every so often to avoid a chuggy hit, where the beaker can hande a bit of extra water without giving shitty hit. I have an 18" and 24" straight tube but my beaker is only liek 14". I really prefer the 18, the 24" clears great and gives perhaps the smoothest hit of all my pieces, but damn is it bulky. Have to lean over or stand up to even hit it and not everybody can clear a tube that size. I love hitting any of them tho, once you buy one, you'll be saving to buy the other:P thats just how it goes. my bubble gives a light airy hit comapired to the beaker or straight, but on somedays thats just what i feel like. You'll have to debate a perc'ed tube or non perc'ed as well. 18" single perc straight roor/lux/toro/whatevers not janky gets my vote, I have a non perc'ed one thats sweet, but i wish it had a perc:P Buy a diffuser to fit when you get it and you'll be a happy guy.

P

Papa_kush

straight tube all day every day much crisper rip due to the quick clear. I usually like about 18" but every size has its pros&cons.

Moe Danks

Moe Danks

well with whatever you buy it's going to get you stoned. my best advice would be to make sure you get a 5 or 7mm RooR. the 3.2 are really weak.

JH420

JH420

Oh it will 7mm for sho...just to figure out the height now.

K

keenstylie

JH i think you def want to go with a straight tube... do you have the extra money for a perculator built into the tube? i would say go with at least a 20'incher if you get one with a perc, and at least an 18 without a perc... Its just i cannot even smoke tubes that dont have percs in them... the smoke is too hot and burns my throat.. lol about you having to bend over far.. Illadelph came out with a really sick upgrade for their tree percs.. they actaully bend the arms toward the back of the tube(farthest from the joint) so your able to tilt the tube and still get a great rip thats filtered real good. Usually tubes with percs you HAVE to keep 100% level or else one of the arms on the tree will ALWAYS be out of water.. NOW if your not into getting a perc,(which if you have the money you wont regret) and your just worried about SIZE for bending over far the 22 might be a lil more confortable but it depends on how tall you are.. If its too tall it will be awkward.. just get a ruller or yardstick if your that worried about it.. Im 6'3 and a 19-20 inch is just about perfect for me.. but like i said, i would never think about getting another waterpipe thats not equipped with at least 1 perc no more than 2... I saw they have some SNOB tubes up at the farm... I have never hit one but hes one of the best in the business.. AS FOR QUALITY over QUANTITY, I can honestly tell you my 20 inch beaker cannot touch my 18 inch str8.. even tho the beaker has just about DOUBLE the potential volume, the 18 inch str8 just fills up so thick (if you want it too) that the beaker cannot touch the str8.. See the beaker would be good if your a clumsy fool thats kickin over shit all the time.. the extra water weight is good if your going to add ashcatchers n such, but if you get your str8 from a reputable place, the stand will be big enuff to compensate for it being less bottom heavy... just get a bong bag and leave it in there when not in use..i hope this helps...oh and yes try to get soemthing at least 5mm thick..
keEn

S

smoketilluchoke

those illadelph baby beakers look sweet

anyone know how thick they are??

K

keenstylie

yea i agree with papa i love a nice 18-19 str8 with 1 tree perc... preferably the illadelph "palm tree" style with the bent back arms so you can either get your gansta lean on while your rippin it(tilt it lol) or you can lay down and rip it without having to even move your head (you can still be a lazy f*** and not miss a min of TV) I cannot tell ya how much I recomend a Perc on your tube.. They've prob saved me like 5 years of my life.. Just recently I was turned on to Volcanos, and they are the shit too, but we'll save that for another thread. If you cannot get an illadelph, i suppose i could hook you up with Kind Creations contact info... I know you said you dont want it shipped, but hes been doing it for years and only a couple reports of broken tubes, which he replaces ASAP. You should try and search for some of his stuff, its so sick,, he does alot of Clear tubes with colored Percs, and they look so clean bro. He works with Green,Blue,Red,Yellow,and i think black now.. His prices are SO CHEAP and way under market prices. If you call him hell tell you what he has stocked(ready to get sent out that day) or he can make you a little 20inch custom with W/E you want on it/in it. Would recomend just one of his basic Tree percs with a splash guard and ice notches. Cant see it costing over 250 complete with shipping. When i first started using my waterpipes, I noticed i was smoking about 1/2 the amount, so you will make your money back in no time (imo) I'll spend 800 on a piece without blinking an eye if its a new type of perc, and or a new advancment in the world of waterpipes.. IE Illadelphs Glycerine Coil has a glycerine(shit in soft icepacks) enclosed in a glass chamber that had a spiral tubing running through it, that DETACHES from the waterpipe utilizing a HUGE i think its like 50mm glass joint.. So basically the neck of the waterpipe pops off, it goes in the freezer for anywhere from 30 min to 24 hrs, and acts as an cooling, condensing system(instead of ice notches) They are by far the best, and most medicinal waterpipes on the market. You literally can clear a .5 and not feel it with the glycerine coils.. I would assume thats out of your price range, but they do have SICK double chambers for no more than 300 (palm tree+splashguard) PLUS they just updated their INSANE ashcatchers and added this new Halo Perc. If your into Concentrates like oil and such, for 50 bucks you can scoop the kit with Vapor Sticks, and a special concentrate bowl with 2 holes on the sides of the bowl and none on the bottom like a standard bowl. Their shit is sick, and if you cannot get one local, have your local shop get in touch with them.. Just make sure they hook you up for giving them the best glass around. lol if your NOT into that PM me and ill hook ya up with Kind Creations contact info... you should really think about one of those Snobs, they are some really rare pieces, on the pricey side yes, but they look JUST like my illadelph percs... hope any of this babble helps!
peace
keen

K

keenstylie

@ smoketillyouchoke ---i believe the baby beakers are 5mm could be mistaken tho... goto their myspace and call them.. theres one site online that retails them i think.. homegrown or something like that homeblown maybe???

JH420

JH420

Thanks for all the info...too much info perhaps lol. So can you tell me how a perc affects your hit? I take it's smoother...is that from more bubble action? The percs don't actually filter the smoke I don't think? Do they make the smoke less dense?

One thing I wish to point out is I don't like a bong where you are sucking forever before any smoke hits ya...is that called "drag"? I like a quick, crisp hit with dense smoke so I get the full flavours not an overly smoothed over "light" smoke.

I have tried an 18" straight Roor and I loved the way it hit...but a few inches would make it a nicer size for me, assuming it doesn't change the quality of hit by much.
I have also tried a 22" Roor beaker and I didn't like it all.
Lots of "drag" (or waiting for the smoke, whatever you call it) and a thinner and more plentiful smoke that I could not clear in one hit and I could not taste the herb so well.

T

thc4sim

I personally prefer a beaker, but each to his own!!

You can grab indestructible 9mm US Tubes for a great price,
these rock ill be grabbing 1 soon!

http://www.bitfreakglass.com/ustubes.html

shipping is included in price if your in the US,
i would get 1 shipped to the UK without even thinking about it breaking..

T

thc4sim

Great find...that 9mm x 50 looks very tempting for $310.

That looks a nice solid straight tube!
oh and nice one for posting at exactly :420: lol

im liking the look of 60X9mm Beaker with 24mm Joint $350
we will see next month....

JH420

JH420

I have taken the advice given here and poked around the net to see what else is out there, other than Roor. Turns out, there is much better value for the dollar and in these times you want to get the most for buck...there are many great options I am open to any suggestions. I thought I was going Roor for sure, now all I am certain is that I want something 18"-24" no more. I want at least 7mm thick glass, but 9 would be better. I am leaning to a straight tube but if a beaker can clear quick I am open to that...just don't want to be waiting for the rush, prefer a quick and dense hit. Leading contender at the moment is something from US Tubes.

Latest posts

Top Bottom