Brainstorm under 357 Magnum LED's

• Thread starter dunit
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

dunit

Harvest Pics. Sorry they took so long. Should have a weight tomorrow.

357magnumyield 006
357magnumyield 007
357magnumyield 012
357magnumyield 019
357magnumyield 020
357magnumyield 023
357magnumyield 029
D

dunit

So late as usual.

Final weight was 327 grams. Actual draw of two Magnums 360 watts so .9 grams per watt. Normally I'd day that is a great result but a few glitches on this run I'm really hoping to eclispe that number on the next one.

HempstarWeight 002
D

dunit

Just to clarify. There are two ziplocs at 12 grams each so one you subtract them from the 351.....you get 327

B

Better Buds

Very nice. Ordering one today. Can't wait to see what it does with my hydro. If all goes well I'll be making the switch. Thanks for the grow log. Hope things just keep getting better for you!

D

dunit

Very nice. Ordering one today. Can't wait to see what it does with my hydro. If all goes well I'll be making the switch. Thanks for the grow log. Hope things just keep getting better for you!

I'm on day 11 of my latest one with Purple Kush and its kicking ass so far. I ordered two more magnums so I can get a more perpetual harvest going as I'm allowed 24 plants and just applied for an increase to 28 in which case gonna have 9 in veg, 9 in early flower and 9 in late flower at all times.

When I ordered my latest round of lights they were having issues with Paypal which doesn't bother me as I hate those DEA friendly fuckers. I sent them a wire transfer and my new lights arrived today. :)

W

weedgirl

I registered on this forum, just to reply to this great diary. But I will be sure to hang around a keep an eye on the diaries here. Maybe post one as well :)

I really appreciate the great grow journal on the 357 Magnum, and congratulate you on a .... fairly decent result. If you or anyone else know of any other grow diaries using exclusively 357 Magnums, id love to know about it.

I am currently growing 12 plants under 3 x 600w HpS in a tent (in cool tubes) and 24 plants using 3 x 400w HpS in a recirculating DWC setup.

With 3x600w in a 120x240 Homebox I can yield 1.200 Grams (32.3 Oz) and another 200 grams (7 oz) a week later (from the lower branches).
The 24 plant - 3x400w DWC is on its first run, so I don't know the yield of that yet, but I am expecting around 1.000 grams (35 oz). (it's 120x240 cm in size as well)

As can be imagined my electricity bill is running very high, and I am thinking I can save some money by replacing all my lamps with 357 Magnums. However I want to be sure I will actually benefit from this.

If you yield under 1 gram pr. watt, I still think the HpS can do at least as good, without costing 700 $USD or lamp.

My 8 plant Diary 1800w Homebox XXL diary (my first grow): http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...rom-seeds-in-coco-perlite-clay-pebbles/page10

Dunit do you have any thoughts on this? Can I yield as much, in the same time, with a significant lower use of electricity? Or is HpS still the way to go for "big" grows?

Ps. I plan to change to an Aeroflow 60 system in the next 2-4 months depending on my economy.

osidecannabis

osidecannabis

another great example of the led"s not living up to the hype. these are compared to 1000watt hps systems, and yet 2 didn't even come close to producing a pound. they look good for small hobbyist and personal medical, but for any thing larger, there is no practicality in led's, yet. it looks like one can cover about 4sqft total, so for a 10x10ft room, your looking at 20-25 led systems. at $600 each, only $12,000-15,000. for hps you could run 4-9 systems to cover the area. bulb, ballast, reflector for under $400, $1,600 for 4 or $3,600 for 9. then some cooling 200-250 per fan, about $400-750 for cooling them and an a/c, about 1000. the numbers dont add up, cuz you wouldn't really save a whole lot on energy. 20 leds at, what i read 360 watts, is still 7,200watts, but you said they only draw 180watts, so that would still be 3,600watts.

ill stick with the hps. i have seen great results with vegging, just not flowering.

dunit- Great thread, you did an outstanding job, i am in know way attacking you, just those damn led marketing buffoon's.

D

dunit

another great example of the led"s not living up to the hype. these are compared to 1000watt hps systems, and yet 2 didn't even come close to producing a pound. they look good for small hobbyist and personal medical, but for any thing larger, there is no practicality in led's, yet. it looks like one can cover about 4sqft total, so for a 10x10ft room, your looking at 20-25 led systems. at $600 each, only $12,000-15,000. for hps you could run 4-9 systems to cover the area. bulb, ballast, reflector for under $400, $1,600 for 4 or $3,600 for 9. then some cooling 200-250 per fan, about $400-750 for cooling them and an a/c, about 1000. the numbers dont add up, cuz you wouldn't really save a whole lot on energy. 20 leds at, what i read 360 watts, is still 7,200watts, but you said they only draw 180watts, so that would still be 3,600watts.

ill stick with the hps. i have seen great results with vegging, just not flowering.

dunit- Great thread, you did an outstanding job, i am in know way attacking you, just those damn led marketing buffoon's.

Well we agree on the marketing BS side but take another look at my grow and my numbers. I was covering a 4x4 area (16sq ft) with 2 LED panels so based on that coverage would take 10-12 of them to cover a 10x10 room so about $7,000k not the $12-15K you were talking about. Also, although these lights are called the 357 their actual draw is 180 watts a piece so 10 of them in a room would draw 1800 watts total.

I didn't get a stellar result and that's largely on me for not doing the research when growing in a new medium and suffering a pretty good set back in weeks 6 and 7 which are critical to flower weight. Even so I still pulled almost a gram a watt. Would like to say I should be able to hit at least 1.3 gpw this next round and hopefully don't jinx myself in the process.

I think 5 pounds from a 10 x 10 room running on 1800 watts would be enough to make the HPS growers at least take notice. Real kicker is you could run that in a room (with a concrete floor) with no cooling or very minimal.

Here's hoping my new one proves that theory....lol Three weeks in and stellar bud development already

D

dunit

I registered on this forum, just to reply to this great diary. But I will be sure to hang around a keep an eye on the diaries here. Maybe post one as well :)

I really appreciate the great grow journal on the 357 Magnum, and congratulate you on a .... fairly decent result. If you or anyone else know of any other grow diaries using exclusively 357 Magnums, id love to know about it.

I am currently growing 12 plants under 3 x 600w HpS in a tent (in cool tubes) and 24 plants using 3 x 400w HpS in a recirculating DWC setup.

With 3x600w in a 120x240 Homebox I can yield 1.200 Grams (32.3 Oz) and another 200 grams (7 oz) a week later (from the lower branches).
The 24 plant - 3x400w DWC is on its first run, so I don't know the yield of that yet, but I am expecting around 1.000 grams (35 oz). (it's 120x240 cm in size as well)

As can be imagined my electricity bill is running very high, and I am thinking I can save some money by replacing all my lamps with 357 Magnums. However I want to be sure I will actually benefit from this.

If you yield under 1 gram pr. watt, I still think the HpS can do at least as good, without costing 700 $USD or lamp.

My 8 plant Diary 1800w Homebox XXL diary (my first grow): http://www.thctalk.com/cannabis-for...rom-seeds-in-coco-perlite-clay-pebbles/page10

Dunit do you have any thoughts on this? Can I yield as much, in the same time, with a significant lower use of electricity? Or is HpS still the way to go for "big" grows?

Ps. I plan to change to an Aeroflow 60 system in the next 2-4 months depending on my economy.

Well thanks for signing up just for me....lol.

I am on a few different boards and although more and more people seem to be buying Magnums judging from the comments and PM's I get, as far as I can google I seem to be the lone wolf with a journal with them.

There is a guy ledbudguy who's been growing exclusively with ISIS panels (same company, smaller version of the Magnum IMO) and hitting just under 1.3 gram per watt. He's in the process of setting up a huge room with something like 12 magnums and 6 ISIS 170's so just under 3000 watt actual draw of LED. Looking forward to checking that out.

I'm a little mixed up on your numbers. So you pull about 40 oz (1120 grams) from 1800 watts which is about .6 grams per watt in my estimation unless I missed something.

As for LED's replacing HPS. I ran with 600 HPS for years and my favourite combination was running 3 over a 3 x 8 flood and drain table and could pull 3 pounds doing that. I'm in dirt (well coco actually) and honestly feel I could pull 3 pounds if I ran 6 magnums (1080 watts) over a 4x9 area. I would be able to take advantage of lots of interlacing of the lights with that many in such a small area. It's a little larger area but would be way less power and the heat really is minimal.

W

weedgirl

Thank you for the reply.

Yes you got your numbers right. But that was my first ever growā€¦. Ggetting 1 gram pr. Watt is about a ā€œperfectā€ grow for HPS as of what people tell me. So getting that from LED is not a reason to change to a light that is VERY expensive (at least compared to HPS). To get 1800w worth of 357 magnums would cost a good 7K USD$, so for commercial growth, you need at least 1Ā½ - 2 grams pr. Watt, for the investment to pay off.

I am following your new diary with great interest.

D

dunit

Thank you for the reply.

Yes you got your numbers right. But that was my first ever growā€¦. Ggetting 1 gram pr. Watt is about a ā€œperfectā€ grow for HPS as of what people tell me. So getting that from LED is not a reason to change to a light that is VERY expensive (at least compared to HPS). To get 1800w worth of 357 magnums would cost a good 7K USD$, so for commercial growth, you need at least 1Ā½ - 2 grams pr. Watt, for the investment to pay off.

I am following your new diary with great interest.

I'd say you did great with your results and as for people getting 1 gram per watt with HPS. There are at least 10 people who get 1 pound a light for every person that gets 2 and its probably more like 30:1. If you are getting 2/3 a gram per watt you are doing great. Based on that LED pulling 1.2-1.3 grams a watt is double the efficiency of LED.

With what a pound of smoke is work doesn't take long to recoup your cost at double the output.

Big thing to remember with LED is that their penetration isn't what HPS is so you have to run a slightly larger surface area with a shorter canopy to pull the weight. Short version is you need more space but can get the weight with less power. Nice thing with LED's is that if you have 8 1/2 -9 ft ceiling height you can double-decker your growing space as they only need a couple inches above them with minimal heat issues and no fire concern.

S

swisscheese

Hey nice log but why didn't you trim the buds better there's a lot of leaf on those buds?

osidecannabis

osidecannabis

"357 Magnum Output - The Magnum light, built on 119 x 3W Bridgelux diodes puts out around 180W of growing strength. This can be a bit confusing as it is marketed as a 357W light, however, due to diode efficiencies, and an attenuating circuit, actual output is 180W. That fact should not be taken as a negative, just a function of how diodes work. While a 1W LED is more efficient, the 3W offers more penetrating power for larger plants." from one of there sites

the output is 180w via attenuating circuit, got it, that's even lamer. its running your bulbs at 1.5 watts each instead of 3watts, why would they do that? why not run at full power? if it out preformed a 1000watt hps at a 360watt power draw, that would still be better than great.

i worked for a "tech" company for a while, and seeing how they released technology, purposefully slow to make the most money as possible, or releasing shity products before there "new line", its very disheartening. i feel like thats whats going on with led's, they dont cost anything to produce, but 600 bucks for an f'in light, fucking marketing assholes.

W

weedgirl

Dunit. I hear what you're saying.. My next problem is that even if I get 1 or 1.3 gram pr. watt with LED and .7 or 8 with HPS, I will need like 10 lamps to grow a significant amount of grass.

D

dunit

"357 Magnum Output - The Magnum light, built on 119 x 3W Bridgelux diodes puts out around 180W of growing strength. This can be a bit confusing as it is marketed as a 357W light, however, due to diode efficiencies, and an attenuating circuit, actual output is 180W. That fact should not be taken as a negative, just a function of how diodes work. While a 1W LED is more efficient, the 3W offers more penetrating power for larger plants." from one of there sites

the output is 180w via attenuating circuit, got it, that's even lamer. its running your bulbs at 1.5 watts each instead of 3watts, why would they do that? why not run at full power? if it out preformed a 1000watt hps at a 360watt power draw, that would still be better than great.

i worked for a "tech" company for a while, and seeing how they released technology, purposefully slow to make the most money as possible, or releasing shity products before there "new line", its very disheartening. i feel like thats whats going on with led's, they dont cost anything to produce, but 600 bucks for an f'in light, fucking marketing assholes.

Very much agree with the marketing assholes :)

and we certainly don't see the newest and best products until they have squeezed every dime out of us on the old shit....

As for running 3W diodes at half power, you have to. If you run LED's at full power they become incredibly inefficient at producing light. I saw one study on CREE where the most efficient output was at 60% of max rating. Running 90% of max rating only got an extra 12% light and produced so much heat that lifespan was cut more than 50%.

1W LED's run about 70% as they use so little power they don't run into the same heat issues.

D

dunit

Dunit. I hear what you're saying.. My next problem is that even if I get 1 or 1.3 gram pr. watt with LED and .7 or 8 with HPS, I will need like 10 lamps to grow a significant amount of grass.

Yeah that definately is the bitch of an LED show, startup costs......but if you can find the money I figure they pay for themselves pretty quick.

I hope they are like Blue Ray players and as they get more popular and there is more competition the prices come down cause $7K to start up a medium sized show is definately pricey. On the plus side you don't have to buy an A/C but still......

Latest posts

Top Bottom