BREAKING NEWS: California Lawmakers To Debate Marijuana Legalization Tomorrow!

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cali smoke

Cali smoke

BREAKING NEWS: California Lawmakers To Debate Marijuana Legalization Tomorrow!
October 27th, 2009 By: Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director

California state lawmakers are scheduled to hear testimony tomorrow in support of taxing and regulating the commercial production and distribution of marijuana for adults age 21 and older.

Members of the California Assembly Committee on Public Safety have called for the hearing, entitled “Examining the Fiscal and Legal Implication of the Legalization and Regulation of Marijuana.” The hearing will be chaired by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco), sponsor of Assembly Bill 390, the Marijuana Control, Regulation, and Education Act. It will take place at 10am in room 126 of the State Capitol.

A press conference will take place prior to the hearing at 9 am in Capitol Room 317.

California NORML Coordinator Dale Gieringer is scheduled to testify before the Committee at noon. [Editor's note: Read Dale's written testimony here. NORML has also submitted prepared testimony to the Committee, which is available online here.

Several representatives from law enforcement, including the California Police Chiefs Association and the Office of the Attorney General’s Bureau of Narcotics Enforcement, are scheduled to testify in opposition to the bill.

“The criminal prohibition of marijuana provides law enforcement and state regulators with no legitimate market controls,” states NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano in prepared testimony. “This absence of state and local government controls jeopardizes rather than promotes public safety. I urge this Committee to move forward with the enactment of sensible regulations for legalizing marijuana.”

Tomorrow’s hearing marks one of the first times since 1913 that the California legislature has debated ending criminal prohibition.

If you live in California you can contact your member of the Assembly in advance of tomorrow’s historic hearing here.

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
Wow this could be a big day for all of us!
Lets hope all goes well...

S

SkyHi

Man this shit scares me i rather it stay the way things are than them putting these restrictions on mmj...honestly Tax and regulate is not the way to go ....there going to limit peoples grow size , the age at which you can smoke, who can commercially grow legally, tax the shit out of it ....there going to turn it into a government cash cow

L

Lost

Man this shit scares me i rather it stay the way things are than them putting these restrictions on mmj...honestly Tax and regulate is not the way to go ....there going to limit peoples grow size , the age at which you can smoke, who can commercially grow legally, tax the shit out of it ....there going to turn it into a government cash cow

Thats why its important and get involed. At least write your reps and let them know your concerns :)

As they are writen do any of these decrim bills even talk about MMJ? I was under the impression they were not. Im thinking if it is decrimed the medical statutes would have to be rewritten anyway. I would think we would update and expand them at that time.

TrailerTrash

TrailerTrash

money..

Money..Big money...Thats what its all about.

lets say its legal...well there will be a rush to patient all the strains..

then big pharma starts MASS PRODUCTION!!

MOM an pop seed company's will be run over by all the huge commercial seed companys...

huge cali plantations...with super security..

time to get your degree and apply fora job in this new industry...

S

SkyHi

MOM an pop seed company's will be run over by all the huge commercial seed companys...

Exactly ! thats what i hate about the whole thing they ruin it in everyway ...i sure hope they cant patent strains theres is way to much variation and i dont think you can patent plants and animals

L

Lost

And that is why there needs to be a tax on the product. Seriously, you don't pay tax on home brewed beer. The people that are dead against a tax are not thinking about the big picture and how this is going to work. They are the same people that if there is no tax that are bitching about how bigpharma/tobacco screw everyone and pay almost no taxes to help the society they operate in.

L

l33t

and i dont think you can patent plants and animals

Hi SkyhiI think that there are already patented hemp strains:

"France, the world's largest producer of industrial hemp, recently patented a hybrid strain containing only 0.4% THC."

--

Patents - plants

R

Rolln J

universities have been patenting human dna, vrius dna and plant dna for years...

stickyicky

stickyicky

Sounds good don't it?

I'm not holding my breath. The feds will threaten loss of fed funded projects and it will be all over. Unless the feds realize their cut. But, then they would be hypocrits. I hope it all can be regulated. What the fuck did I just say? Seems to much too fast. So did med mj and here we are. Only time will tell.

B

BayAreasFinest

honestly this isnt the next logical step. Name a country with a law like this? No way a this pasts at the state level. The next logical step would be nationwide medical marijuana laws. followed by this

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

honestly this isnt the next logical step. Name a country with a law like this? No way a this pasts at the state level. The next logical step would be nationwide medical marijuana laws. followed by this

That seems better for the people AND the economy. It's crazy enough just trying to standardize MMJ; We're having some serious backlash here in Co Springs from the close-minded conservatives on city council. I'm so sick of the political machine...

I

Invyme2

Whats scary about it???

I THINK IT COULD BE A GOOD THING IF LEGALIZED,,WE HAVE TO CRAWL BEFORE WE WALK, SO OF COURSE THERE WILL BE SOME UNHAPPY POLITICIANS, DRUG DEALERS,SEEDS SUPPLIERS,ETC...IM SURE THEY'VE MADE ENOUGH MONEY BY NOW..BESIDES WHAT BETTER WAY TO GET OUT OF SOME OF THE FINANCIAL DEBT WE(USA) ARE IN???????? WRITE YOR REP!!!:cash

I

Invyme2

Hope

I just hope there isn't to much regulations if it does become legal!!!!! We shall see

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
Cali is literally paving the way for the rest of the world. It will spread and thats what we need. prohibition is slowly collapsing on its self.:cool0044:

G

G.F. Greens

that's what I'm hoping for KT let it come crashing down so we all can be blazin freely where ever and whenever we choose too as it should be!!

GFG

Top Bottom