Breeding for whorls

• Thread starter Sativied
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Just potted up the plants from the seeds in the pic above, kept them in mini pots the past 12 days, ditched a few with wrinkled leaves and got 22 left.
L8n8group

Roots

Looks promising frost-wise:
Earlyfrost

Still a few days under T8 and then under mh 400w. Still got some of the P-F3 going under 600w that need 2 weeks.

Different soil, different nutes (high p instead of high N), no cold temps this time, and they still get purple:
Purpagain

Earlier today I opened a jar of bud from one of the first batch of P-F3 and I was happily surprised it actually has a haze smell/taste. Smells up the room quite nicely. I haven't pollinated that plant specifically but I expect to find a few seeds in the buds... hopefully.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

(chocolate fondue x something) x cannalope haze quad male
@Sativied
The Man who Never rests
The run of The Swans mommy what is it F-3 #22 and that #19 is still tops with the FlyJ and seeing the Beans Poppin off the Budz now thats epic
I am still hunting My Male for the Nyvia II I am on the 3rd run of her And feel she is as Dialed in as I can do, she needs a Mate.
Any whooties
I understand your appreciation fer that girl of yours and will be sending ya
FlyinJ Grow Vibes always
Peace
FlyJ

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Thanks guys :)

I'm done with the P cross for a while, at least till I can plant more of them. I'm very happy with the stable results in terms of yield, taste, and bud structure, but the #4, #19 and #22 (swan) lines all turned out to have nearly all wide indica leaves. I hope by planting a lot some day I can still select back towards more sativa dom leaves. Most of the F3 are basically the opposite of what I wanted, they have a sativa dom bud structure with indica dom leaves. So in that specific context F3 is not better than F2 and F1, but I don't have F2 seeds anymore and don't feel like going back to F1.

That doesn't mean I'm not going to use the P seeds for other crosses though. For example, the following is a test cross between a P-F2 male (different male than the those who produced P-F3, seemingly more sativa) and Late Night.

Male:
Male

Male2

Females:
Femaleflower

Femaleflower2

It's a combination of everything I got except the ICE. I codenamed it PC which is short for pollen chuck. Even though P-F3 bud turns out nearly white, I miss seeing those long slender sugar coated leaflets in my closet. It looks exactly like Late Night but I hope crossing it with P has added some flower time and yield.

P-F3 bud:
Foxfrostdry

Frostdry

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Couple of bud shots from the second batch of P-F3, the #4 line:
Bud3
Bud2
Bud1

The first batch I used mostly canna terra vega because they didn't respond well to the flores bottle. That left me with the contents of the flores bottle for this round so using that one now... against better judgement. Yet seems better than throwing it away. These aren't topped so got one big main bud but I do get the impression they have a higher pistil density.

Just potted up the Late Night, killed a few, kept the best 20. Will place them under the 400w in flower closet tonight together with the 9 P-F3 that are nearly done and the 3 pollen chucks. The main downside of Late Night besides the low yield is stretch, but that does make it suitable for a sog, i.e. single cola plants. The goal is to see if there are one or more that are acceptable (had one earlier that did fill up nicely despite the length) and plan B is to at least take it to the next generation and see if taste (from previous gen Late Night) and/or some yield related genes (from Cannalope haze) recombine.

Some pics from Late Night, probably posted all before:
FrostyLateNight
LateNight 5 and half weeksC
LateNight 8
LateNight2
LateNight 9

LateNight 7

LateNight frost7

I only flowered a couple of them but vegged a few more and found no whorlers so far, none in the current batch so far either. Which is interesting, because ICE x CH (quad) and CH x CH (quad) and Chunk x CH (quad), i.e. the other three I made with the CH quad whorled male, all produced whorlers, strongly suggesting it's dominant, at least partly. I however noticed it seems to occur more in what I called weak apical dominance, i.e. lots of branching opposed to a dominant cola. The late night is the opposite of that... may be related, may be just coincidence.

If anything it could be a good strain for beginners, with 1-2 weeks veg time and only 7-8 weeks flower time it's hard to mess up. The previous ones I've grown were merely to test a bottle/medium/nutes so they haven't had a fair shot yet.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

@Sativied
It never ceases to amaze me when I stop by to see what the Whort-Man Is up to. when I need a Boost or Motivational words
all I have to do is stop by here.
Well I have almost everything I need for my Nyvia II,
Pollen from three unreal Strains
and one more in Veg right now
as it is Looks like I have to make a choice now.
Tryin to take a Page out of your book and go for the Stable-est Male with
the most recognized traits and keep it as basic as I can...
I know they say if I cant pop more than 40-50 seeds at a time
it is difficult to do a single plant project like mine justice.
but still IT is for the Love of the Plant I guess.
And cool dudes like you help me believe it can be done
Always a pleasure Whort Man
Super Late Nite Breedin Vibes to ya Sativied
FlyJ

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
@Sativied
It never ceases to amaze me when I stop by to see what the Whort-Man Is up to. when I need a Boost or Motivational words
all I have to do is stop by here.
Well I have almost everything I need for my Nyvia II,
Pollen from three unreal Strains
and one more in Veg right now
as it is Looks like I have to make a choice now.
Tryin to take a Page out of your book and go for the Stable-est Male with
the most recognized traits and keep it as basic as I can...
I know they say if I cant pop more than 40-50 seeds at a time
it is difficult to do a single plant project like mine justice.
but still IT is for the Love of the Plant I guess.
And cool dudes like you help me believe it can be done
Always a pleasure Whort Man
Super Late Nite Breedin Vibes to ya Sativied
FlyJ
Agreed;
very inspirational person--
long live WhortMan Heh...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
The test cross of the Late Night x P-F2 is going great so far. It's like it has a hint of lime green in the pistils, noticed that in the late night before but seemed more yellow then.
Femaleflower1d

Femaleflower1c

Two P-F3 second batch buds:
Bud7

Nr9 bud

And the Late Night:
L8n8group mh day1

Sidegroup

They flowered into 2.5-3 feet plants in 0.25 gallon pots, now in larger pots, about a gallon each, but now on soil instead of hydro.

I'll have some space left in a couple of weeks when the second batch of F3 is done, so going to plant some seeds and veg something to fill the closet. Not sure what yet. I got some P-F4 but from the first batch, still plenty of F3 though just a dozen of the #4 line, and P-F3 line #4 male x P-F2-22 (swan).

Or, I could pop some of the chxch x chxch aka whorled x whorled. It's the one I thought could be ICExCH. Great plants but not the most tasty bud.

Or, looking at the test cross above... I could pop either P-F4 or P-F3 and save pollen from the best Late Night, and recreate it and see if it turns out like the one in the first pics above again. Which I did pollinate with a sparkling male and contains seeds I could pop in 3-4 weeks from now.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Still haven't decided... I think the most effective thing to do is get a local amnesia/silver haze clone so I can clone it and cross it with several P males (and then do test runs to see which is best), since I don't have enough space left to make a decent selection. Which is easier said than done, getting the cut that is. Especially since they closed my local grow shop where I could at least ask other growers (owner told me that was the way to go). Many grow shops across the country got raided by the cops, asking openly for clones already wasn't appreciated but now it's an even bigger no-no. I also don't want to break the first rule of fight club. I can't meet at a parking lot to buy clones from a trunk without the seller seeing my car plates. May have to wear a fake mustache and glasses too in case the seller lives nearby. :)

Anyway...

P-F3, second batch, 9 females. 8 are like the one on the left. 1 is like the the one on the right. Which translates to one had the structure I aimed for (CH, suitable for cropping/topping), and the rest is more like the chunk, more for sog. The one on the right is missing two branches that I used for clones.

2phenosidebyside

If most were like the one on the right and had more than 1 male to select from I'd be able to make a big step forward.

Left, (#17) seems a bit leafy but partly because it's big. Based on the amount of fresh pistils it's going to get huge. Would have looked a lot better with more frosty leaves though.

Lower:
17 lower

F4 seeds:
F4seeds in PF3 line4 17

So line #4 is not good for P itself. The F4 of this one may still line up nicely with amnesia haze so the F4 of line #4 will probably provide one of the males to cross with AH.

Late Night coming along nicely. Couple of stretchers but nothing unexpected and still plenty with good node spacing. Even a couple of 'm with branches, probably males. Leaves still a bit wide but I expect them to produce very slender leaflets later on. Noticed some leaves with 9 fingers already, which is nice considering the short veg time. Still under 400w mh, instead of 600w hps so that will hopefully keep them a little shorter than usual.
Groupagain

And the Late Night x P-F2 test cross, it's in a 16oz pot so probably won't amount to a whole lot but it looks a lot like an improved Late Night, shorter and hopefully will get a little fatter. Had 3.5 weeks 12/12.
Female1e cola

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
I can't meet at a parking lot to buy clones from a trunk without the seller seeing my car plates. May have to wear a fake mustache and glasses too in case the seller lives nearby.
Gettin' rough over there--
spooky stuff...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
For those not in the clone trading loop it sure got harder to get in. Last time I bought clones was nearly 20 years ago, orange bud, from a grow shop in the neighborhood, still legal-ish back then. I remember walking down the street holding a big box in front of me with the clones in it. Sunny day too, makes it seem even more like happy times. I've been going to the same coffeeshop for over a decade and I think they'd still throw me out if I start asking about clones. I know some growers, but they don't know I grow, and like to keep it that way. There are some sites where people post but they also sell other drugs and would actually have to do the parking lot thing with a chance of the seller being a cop. A lot of risk and hassle for a hobbyist like me, for a clone that costs like 15 bucks...

On the up side, it will be a rewarding feeling if I finally get one lol, and every good strain needs a good back story ;)

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I'll figure something sooner or later. It's the most popular strain amongst growers and smokers here, should be doable to get it. I got a few phone numbers I can try, just need to get a prepaid card instead of using my own phone/number to call.

Late Night is coming along nicely. Genetic-wise still as expected, but a little happier and healthier than the ones I've grown during previous runs in hempy/coco test bottles.

Grouppart

Getting tall as usual, and very little branching. That last thing sort of makes up for the first. Instead of growing branches that get their own axillary buds, form their own bud site, these grow most buds along the main stem. I was kind of planning to run these under 400w mh for the entire cycle but they will grow taller, and taller, and then I'll probably have to use the 600w for penetration.
Groupside

Killed one cause its leaves were to wrinkly. No whorling in these. Though not all entirely straight either like the one on the right in the first pic. So got 19 left, 7 sexed, 2 female, 5 males. I expect/hope most of the rest is female.

One of the boys:
Male

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Tallest and shortest male Late Night. Both are extremes, most are in between. Just killed the tall one and another one just like it. Not just too long but the others have more nodes. Couple of so far good looking males and females, i.e. sativa slender leaflets yet not too tall/stretched.
Shortest vs tallest male

Of the 19 plants I sexed 8 were male, 11 female. Still got 6 males left.

Top Bottom