Breeding for whorls

• Thread starter Sativied
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I still got 6 ot haze in dwc and I'm really starting to like one in particular. I topped half off the other 5 because they got too tall, and they are finicky. One had major calcium def early one, 3 others are ok but not great.

Still under T8, 72 w, with 5 sibling and 6 clones...
Shorthaze

Largehazeleave

Last edited:
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
PCK quartet:

Green pheno:
Pckgreenflower

Purple:
Pckpurpleflower

Although... on a lower bud she has red-ish calyxes:
Pckpurp redflower

Red:
Pckredcola2b

Pckredflower

And pink:
Pckpinkflower

The red and pink are frostier than the purple and green for now but what stands out most is that the pink is fatter, more pistils... Maybe just a bit faster than the others but I do get the impression the others are less bulky.

They still get a minimal amount of nutrients, a fraction of what the SH gets, and pretty sure the light tips are from letting the pot dry out too much. Which they seem to handle extremely well though, no droop, no yellowing.

As much as I enjoy the color and the PCK in general, I look more forward to smoking the bud from the stretchy narrow leaflet plants. I think I simply associated with the type of high I like.

SH male:
Shmale

SH female flowers:
Shflower

Shflower2

I look forward to growing the cross already. Not just for color but to see how they mix since they are so different.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
The pots I use now are not small enough to have to water them daily, but not large enough for 48 hours. I found them like this more than a couple of times:

Dry

On the left is the 3leaflet leaf. Right side is missing as well as the single bladed leaves. If I would have treated the ice cross like this it would not look this good anymore. Same for sh, it would droop and get weak.

The main stems are the fattest wooden sticks I've grown.

Cloning still not going smooth but getting there. At least got a clone of the red male and the purple female and one of the red females.

Depending on how fast/slow the pck/sh is I may do a round with only SH clones. They stretched a lot but it was really full with the males so I won't hold that against them. I've been smoking sh from a local shop and and off for about a decade and I got to say it seems to be one of the most underappreciated crosses from the classics. It smells like amnesia/ssh without the perfume. It smells like dutch coffeeshop.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I was just walking through the woods and noticed all the pine cones on the path and realized something funny... mind you I was high as usual.

In dutch, a pine tree is usually referred to as "dennenboom", where boom means tree. So a dennen tree instead of pine tree. The pine cones we call dennenappels, which translated literally to English would be pineapples, which translated back to dutch (and most other languages) would be ananas.

Never really occurred to me a closed pine cone has a similar structure like pine apple. It's like someone picked up a pine apple thinking it was a huge pine cone and then found the inside is largely edible. Delicious even.

Back home I checked wiki...
"The word "pineapple" in English was first recorded to describe the reproductive organs of conifer trees (now termed pine cones). When European explorers discovered this tropical fruit [ananas] in the Americas, they called them "pineapples" (first referenced in 1664 for resemblance to the pine cone)."

Some of the sweet plants in my P cross are like pine+sour sweet which does give it a bit of a pine apple taste (one of original parents is probably pineapple chunk) but it seems apart from the look there's no relation. Probably need an entirely different profile to get ananas.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
The pink PCK is starting to stand out from the rest... except for color intensity. It's the fattest, best structure, and most frosty but it also smells quite good. Can't really describe it yet but appears to be fruity.
Pinktopview

Pinktop

lower bud:
Pinklowerbud

Pink2

The lower buds are clearly more pink colored than the top bud. The weather suddenly got a lot better here and I have day and night switched so they won't get cold nights anymore. I'm going to pollinate all the plants with both the red pck male and an SH male and will decide later which I will grow out but looks like that will be pink pck x SH and SH x red pck. Or maybe cross the pink pck x SH back to the red pck male.

Plenty of options, but so far it looks like this one will be in the mix...
Pinkplantfrost

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
It's getting more obvious ever day that the purple, green and red plants are more breeding material for traits than keepers. There's no way they are going to yield normally for the space they take or compared to what I grown over the past years... Which is not unexpected, the pink one however is starting to look like a proper keeper.

Purple:
Purple abax

Purplelowerbud

Red:
Redlowerbud

Redovules

^^Find the red ovules... (naked calyx sort of speak, the pistil without the bract

And the pink pheno...
Pckpinksuperfrost

Silver Haze getting frosty too:
Frostfanskinnysh

I was just pollinating some of the plants being all careful and realized I have two males, the red pck and the SH male, and I will know from which females the seeds will come, and I can easily tell SHxSH apart from PCKxPCK. I labeled the branches I pollinated for pck and sh separately anyway but I will actually be able to use the stray seeds as I will know both parents. I think there will be plenty as the male SH already dropped some of its load before I noticed I can't say I mind.

Oh and the Panama is definitely citrus like smell and not strawberry. I pollinated some small flowers with both the pck and the SH but probably won't grow more than 1 female of the those at a time. I wanted to make sure it was in sync for pollination but damn it got big. It is now 3 feet tall excluding the 'pot'.
Panamtall

I'm going to have either plug the drain and make a new one higher up or flush some coco in it so it can retain more water. Or more drastic measures... defoliate the bottom so it transpires less. Or I could just water it more often. Seems like a nice one to grow outdoors.
Panamflower2

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I finally got a new ballast for my hps lights. Replacing a decade old 400watt ballast and a 4 year old 600watt, both old school magnetic. The new one is a lumatek that can run my 400w and 600w. More stealth (no peak at start, less noise on the circuit), less hazardous, and no longer have to reconnect hood to a different ballast everytime I switch it. And, can be boosted to 660watt which is better for my 4x4 space.

Although the PCK still has 4 weeks to go I got to say that if I was growing for yield I'd be really worried by now. I think the red, green, and purple pheno are going to be the lowest yielding cannabis plants I have ever grown... and seen. Pink is still kicking ass, getting more frosty by the day.

Someone in a forum, maybe here at the farm, mentioned a while ago that the Ace pure lines suffer heavily from inbreed depression. I does look like that but think it has a lot more to do with it not being near the western bred classic afghani and kush crosses and need a lot of work.

PCK is a ruby in the rough.

Another thing that stands out is that they are hard to pollinate and the pollen from the red male is not as potent as usual. Normally within 24-48 hours all the pistils from the flowes I pollinated are brown and I can clearly see it worked. Not the case with the pck flowers and pollen. Of some flowers all the pistils remained white. Pollinated all the flowers a second time and two days later it looks like I will have enough seeds for next round but still surprised how many pistils remain white.

I still plan on using the red male and/or female in the mix but by itself pink would still work... wineballs without the red wrapping:

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I'm smoking the last of the 10gram I got for the evergreen x amnesia white and found a total of 17 seeds. I put her in my living room in sunlight for a week and still no nanners. It's from reg so I popped two hoping at least one would be female. The other was male and since the rest was in veg I took it out a bit late and it seems to have pollinated the preflowers on the female.

That means I got 17 x F1 and 17 x F2 now too. Of (ICExCH) x amnesia white.

It tastes a like the Afghanica! (the strain, skunk x afghani), petrol/diesel like, but with a sweet tone, a bit hazy even. Very solid product I would not mind getting in a shop instead the often blend stuff. Unfortunately I don't have space for these for a while but some day sooner or later I'm going to pop all 34.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Pink PCK
Pinkyfrost

Pinkseeded

(PCK x SH seeds)

First time I made reg seeds I got thousands so have since been more careful with pollinating. It just didn't work out with the PCK pollen on SH and PCK and not with SH pollen on PCK. So sure looks like the PCK is to blame.

It was obvious already the PCK is not going to yield well, or better said, very poorly, and my main concern this round is seed, so I took a more rough approach and used all the pollen I gathered. It resulted in pollination in some main buds too which is not ideal but since they only need 7-8 weeks I could not try and wait yet another 2-3 days.

Love the colors on the PCK, and the frost on the pink and red too, but the silver haze... I've seen dozens if not a hundred amnesia grows, lots of S5 haze too (I think it's a short flowering SH cross but at least very similar) but nothing like this, currently for obvious reason favorite, silver haze. It smells as strong as the amnesia white perfume pheno I had but less perfume and more haze.
Frostyyyy

Frostyyyy2

I only had a ten pack and it may need more than 10-11 weeks unlike some amensia/ssh/S5 cuts but I can already tell

In NL hermaphobia is widespread. Has to be sinsemilla to sell to a coffeeshop for a good price. Hermies can cost them thousands of euros. The small growers often grow from 5-6 fem seed, but the commercial growers, including the smaller, usually grow from clone. That clone can't be from a female from fem seed. Crazy but is what it is. Point is, the amnesia and ssh cuts here are highly overrated. They are the best clones, not nearly the best phenos to be found in a pack of classic haze hybrids.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Never really occurred to me a closed pine cone has a similar structure like pine apple. It's like someone picked up a pine apple thinking it was a huge pine cone and then found the inside is largely edible. Delicious even
Yep Its always Good for a smile when I swing by the Sati Mans Thread... I to have a Pineapple Cutting
I am a Bit farther behind then GeoL is
PA 1

The pink PCK is starting to stand out from the rest.
It is always great to see your Work Sati
My flower room is happy and treating the group Well.
Peace and Super Breedin Vibes
FlyJ

hiiipower

hiiipower

Someone in a forum, maybe here at the farm, mentioned a while ago that the Ace pure lines suffer heavily from inbreed depression. I does look like that but think it has a lot more to do with it not being near the western bred classic afghani and kush crosses and need a lot of work.

PCK is a ruby in the rough.

Another thing that stands out is that they are hard to pollinate and the pollen from the red male is not as potent as usual. Normally within 24-48 hours all the pistils from the flowes I pollinated are brown and I can clearly see it worked. Not the case with the pck flowers and pollen. Of some flowers all the pistils remained white. Pollinated all the flowers a second time and two days later it looks like I will have enough seeds for next round but still surprised how many pistils remain white.

I still plan on using the red male and/or female in the mix but by itself pink would still work... wineballs without the red wrapping:

View attachment 599467

I've talked a lil bit on here about aces stock, I really admire their work. This is what I can gather... Their IBLs likely do suffer from inbreeding depression like you mentioned the pck might(many others on the site have attested to this with malawi and a few others as well). This is on purpose, imo. What I really mean is there's no way around it if you want to make a plant that breeds true for many of it's traits. Crossing a f1 x f1 will often give an even gene distribution and the phenos will be a blend of the two parents. But when a f1 is crossed with a f3 or more the progeny result in the f3(IBL or highly worked line) being dominate, even f2 will dominate more. This has been a well known result of breeding plants and animals/livestock for thousands of years.

So that's what ace does. In order to get pck, or malawi, or and other IBL to really come through in the progeny well/consistently, they inbreed the plants probably just to the point of severe inbreeding. Then when someone makes a cross with one of their breeding packs, it comes out to be what you expected, not a treasure chest of stuff to dig through(if you know what to do with it).

For example, If you ask ace which plants to use for a breeding project for red plants they will recommend pck, not any of its hybrids. Because they know that if you want the red trait to pass on to the offspring that the best way to do that is with an IBL. Pck's hybrids will not so as good a job of passing on res traits because it's hyrbids are f1s, or at least not as inbred as pck. They follow the traditional method of breeding livestock. This is relevant in dogs, cats, horses, birds, you name it. If it's a dioecious organism it likely abides by this. I think just it's the way genes work. Hell I would guess humans even work that way, not sure if that study has ever been done haha.

Bodhi also talks often about not inbreeding a plant too far(deadly g and dragons blood hashplant), or else it becomes to dominate and sometimes you can lose great breeding stock to it(if it is to dominate than any female you cross with it will not show up nearly enough).

Sorry to be long winded.

Pink pheno has got wicked frost, all of them are awesome imo. Looks like great breeding stock.

hiiipower

hiiipower

Just wanted to add that when you do outcross the IBL to another plant, you get all the vigor that any f1 would normally have, but it's a more accurate representation of your intended goal. Couldn't edit the last post.

Ok I'm done. Promise

Project wine balls onward!

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Sorry to be long winded.
No problem, wait till you see my reply :D

Let me post this separately cause I'm a little short on time atm.

Hell I would guess humans even work that way, not sure if that study has ever been done haha.
Look up Emma, Darwin's wife and first cousin. Darwin was the first to study inbreed humans, his own kids, of which some died very young.

The key difference between inbreeding with plants and animals is that normally plant breeding involves large populations. If Darwin had a thousand cousins there would be plenty among them who together with him would be able to create a healthy inbreed population, as is very doable with plants. Angiosperms are actually known to be less affected by this and often can see great improvements from inbreeding. I can't find the quote but I posted it before somewhere, especially cannabis sativa is not as susceptible to inbreed depression as many others. I remember the link to the research was at the bottom of a wiki page.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Lost my draft so here's take two, going to try and keep it shorter but it's a topic I care a lot about so that may not work out :)

Let me first say that I'm not saying they suffer from inbreed depression. I simply can't know that for sure without knowing what PCK looked like a bunch of generations ago, in the 90s under cannabiogen. I think it has more or at least also to do with it being a pure kush. If they were heavily inbred properly I should not have 4 colors in 4 females (unless of course the mixed seeds in the pack, totally plausible).

Second, I really like what Ace adds to the scene but I don't entirely agree with their methods when it comes to pck, OT haze and a few others.

Inbreeding depression applies specifically to a population. An individual plant in such a population can indirectly suffer, effectively, from having deleterious genes without good genes to counter their effect. The higher the frequency of such genes (which can be in heterozygous pairs too) in the population, the more depressed it is, the less chances it has of producing a healthy vigorous population.

An effective way to get inbreeding depression is genetic drift. Which happens when a large portion of a population is wiped out or not allowed to reproduce (or never grown). The most extreme example is selfing, and the second is using only two plants.

Inbreeding depression is not just an automatic result of aiming for homozygosity, and two lines suffering from inbreed depression don't by default make a F1 hybrid with the vigor you can normally get. Hybrid vigor is much more than fixing inbreed depression. To fix it, bring back some vigor, the parents need to have the good copies of each other's deleterious genes. For heterosis, actualy hybrid vigor, their genetics both need to be good and compliment each other and above all be different.

Heterosis / hybrid vigor is primarily the result of combining different genetics. It's good practice to go for homozygous parents for the sake of uniformity but going for real F1 hybrids based on homozygous parents is really no excuse for using plants that have deleterious genes bred in, what inbreed depression comes down to for plants. That's the whole challenge of IBLing, which imo they should leave up to breeders buying it. Going towards inbreeding depression is to a point inevitable when working with small populations but to a point where they would severely suffer from it is not necessary and does not imply better for hybrids.

A common way, still, to prevent it is to introduce a parent from an older generation. For some crop (forgot the name) in Mexico they add a few plants of the old wild variety to the population.

Another way to prevent inbreed depression is the method I like to promote, backcrossing. I had a long discussion with Tom Hill about that at icmag (everyone a pollen chucker thread). His replies are gone but that's no loss.

Most livestock and crops we grow and eat are indeed hybrids. When the hybrid needs an update (e.g. for certain resistance or other desirable trait) an IBL parent is updated by backcrossing the desired trait into the IBL. This is done with population backcrossing.

Same with selfing to create IBLs. A population is selfed (each individual with itself) which leads to many different homozygous lines, some heavily depressed, others not. Of course the latter selected to be used for hybrids.

Anyway, I'm also not saying I mind. That is because I got them for breeding and sort of knew what I was getting into. As I probably mentioned before, I'm going to treat it like ruderalis with auto genes.

Then when someone makes a cross with one of their breeding packs, it comes out to be what you expected, not a treasure chest of stuff to dig through(if you know what to do with it).
Yet that treasure chest is the whole value of them. That treasure chest is the wide genepool they have to offer. Narrowing it down for breeders really makes no sense and is the opposite of what they should be doing to follow their own philosophy. The thing is, there are many different homozygous lines possible, which they should leave up to breeders buying the breeder pack. The only way it will come out as expected is when you have insight in how its traits inherit.

They made the same mistake with OT haze, someone keeps a population for decades, and they end up selling packs with seeds from two parents while the whole attraction was to have a less limited genepool than o haze.

[QUeOTE="hiiipower, post: 1702404, member: 67221"]But when a f1 is crossed with a f3 or more the progeny result in the f3(IBL or highly worked line) being dominate, even f2 will dominate more. [/QUOTE]Dominate in frequency yes. This is simply because an F3 and even F2 has less variation to add than an F1 and has little to do with inbreeding depression. F3 is technically ibl but still a work in progress. For many gene pairs it will be like crossing AB x CC, and then 50% will be AC, the other half BC. In terms of gene frequency this means 50% C, 25% A, and 25% B so the C dominates in frequency in a population. How they actually express depends on the gene action. The goal and challenge there is to breed in gene C specifically, and not just homozygous pairs. In other words those are IBL-ed to pass on only desirable genes.

In any case, of course everyone prefers high yields or at least normal, but honestly I don't mind and I'm still psyched I got the color I wanted. The silver haze itself is not high yielder either. I do think the hybrid will be better, Having to breed in yield with a higher yielding haze with skunk genes was a backup plan from the start. Currently the goal is to get the color in silver haze dom plants and the use that one instead of the PCK sort of speak.

Although I'm not much into kush, depeding on how things go will probably get some some kosher kush or similar and cross it with red pck male and make a modern version (or fix inbreed depression, or both, whichever is).

Happy with the panama too, smells like citrus/lime hazy and will yield well. Got a healthy clone I will probably flower again. The Panama x SH will likely be very stretchy and grow tall but I expect it will smell very good. 4 more weeks and I will be popping seeds.

Last edited:
Top Bottom