Breeding for whorls

• Thread starter Sativied
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Just harvested many of the seeds and it's looking good. 50-100 from the pck x sh crosses, about 50 of the pck x pck, and hundreds of the sh x sh.

For next round I'm going to pop:
- SH x Red PCK
- Red PCK x SH
- some Pink PCK x SH
- a few Panama x SH

In addition to running the panama clone again, the red pck male and female, and still having the OT haze plant going. Going to be a full house.

RalloD.Eno

RalloD.Eno

yes whorled phyllotaxy, everyone just says trifoliate so i wanted to used the common (wrong) nomenclature.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Still a lot of white pistils on the panama but getting less and looks like it's finally getting closer to harvest time. Will check when exactly it started flowering when I pull it. I just replaced the 600watt with 400watt mh. Not using the entire space and vegging some clones at the same time.

Panama donkeydick

Panama almostdone

Container is 5L (perlite and a little bit coco on top to reduce evap), got 0.8L water per day, of which roughly 0.1L drains, with roughly 1.3-1.5EC AB nutes (H&G aquaflakes). Don't know or measure pH, just a few drops ph- a liter, probably somewhere around 5.5-6.5 :D

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Unfortunately the germination rate of the Panama x SH is pretty bad... compared to what I got used to anyway. I got 100% with the whorl crosses and a few chucks, even if I harvest them and plant them within days. Far over 90% still a few years later.

I think I may have pushed it a bit too far with the panama, harvested seeds while plant is still going, barely dried them. Both the twin cot and the twin are from only 4 panama x sh seeds. Needless to say that makes me curious to see what else comes out. Still got 18 seeds, and still about the same on the plant too. Going to wait a bit before I pop those...

PCKxSH seeds seem much better so far.
The pink pck, the most frosty and least low yielder, does not have the earthy kush flavor and smell. The others do. Opposed to the others it also has a sweet smell. Above all, it's noticably stronger. I may pop a couple of the red pck x sh but I'm going to focus the pink pck x sh first. As I mentioned at the start of project wineballs, I want to breed the kush out. I may not have to make much effort to do so. Another possible downside of the pink x sh is that I'm not sure the clones from the pink pck will make it for a back cross. The red (male and female) and purp (female) are more intensely colored and I may have to use those later on regardless, or maybe a plant from the pink x red pck.

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
So,
it's possible the early harvested/"green" seeds--
might be responsible for these anomalies...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter

The siamese twincot is a result of something (wrong/extra cell division or something) that happened during or before the Heart stage.

I'm still thinking about the twins. Did the female ovule have two zygotes and was it pollinated by two pollen grains, or did the smaller one of the twins split off from the other during development.

Either way, no, it's not like either of these anomalies would have continued developing and turn into a normal single dicot.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Panama left, Silver Haze on the right. Took 11-12 weeks or maybe a little more even but I smell great from carrying those plants already :smoking:
Panama and SH

Panama and SH2

This is about half the silver haze:
Bigghazydone

Doesn't swell up as nice as the other silver haze phenos, the more afghani dom ones, but smells gorgeous.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
2.5-cot...
2point5cot
Besides the missing half of one of the cots, it's missing the 3rd leaf... However, the position of the two true leaves will probably cause it to whorl if it doesn't grow out the next node as regular opposite either.

Pink PCK x SH, already looking like Wine balls material
Color1

Going to pop a few more...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Colorseedling

Tricot
... again polycotyledon without the 3rd true leaf.

Next one wasn't able to come out of its shell properly, so had to remove it and look what I found, a tricot and a dicot in one. Not sure if I can top this one lol

Twinsagain

Twinsagain2

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I love this thread. So are you doing the breeding for whirls to create a variety that when you top it you get three tops from one cut instead of 2?
Thanks. I'm doing it mainly for doing it but yes that is one of the main advantages I noticed in practice early on. More specifically, with two nodes you get 6 tops, that do not get in the way of each other. With regular phyllotaxy the highest two branches/tops are directly above the lowest two. That same advantage also applies when you don't top though, the tri whorled phyllotaxy is for light intercepting better than regular.

The tricots above were not planned and unexpected. Mosty tricots also have 3 first true leaves and basically start out with whorled phyllotaxy from the start. The whorled phyllotaxy in my crosses occurs later, i.e. mine start out as regular dicots with regular opposite phyllotaxy and become tri whorled after 3-11 nodes. Obviously for the topping advantage to be practical they have to whorl early.

Apart from the P cross (chunk x CH), which I got bored with smoking too long, the other crosses I made with the whorler initially don't produce great bud. So I'm working on creating a few others lines I can cross the whorling into. Ideally those would be tricots but it would be an unexpected bonus.

Latest posts

Top Bottom