Breeding talk for everyone to understand

• Thread starter Chad.Westport
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I'd pull up a chair. Be fun to watch. Last time I did f2s I had sister plants that were nothing like each other. I had 6 foot 120 day flower plant growing next to their sisters that's 2 foot 60 day plants. And of course everything in between.
I think starting the selection with the F1's is the smartest way to go but that's just my uninformed opinion 👍
Im curious to see how this shakes out

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Strains have to have a goal right? the things you select for. So let's say the goal IS 6ft tall plants..only those are selected from the F2's to make the F3 generation right? Then again and again until maybe a back cross to try and really lock in something? Trying to learn from all the pros here ...

growsince79

growsince79

Strains have to have a goal right? the things you select for. So let's say the goal IS 6ft tall plants..only those are selected from the F2's to make the F3 generation right? Then again and again until maybe a back cross to try and really lock in something? Trying to learn from all the pros here ...
Deffinently need to set parameters.

growsince79

growsince79

Agree everyone has a goal. My goal is a plant that's built like an indica with the potency of the best sativa. Switched to 12-12 at 35 days from sprout, the ideal plant would finish @ 3-3.5 feet in 63 days and be the best smoke on earth. yup, that's my goal.

Chad.Westport

Chad.Westport

So, a breeding question. If I have an IBL line, and then cross two of its offspring, do I get wide variation? Or has all of the possibilities been bred out of it in the effort to make the IBL?

BTW - please do tag me in the new thread when it goes up. I'll be curious to see what the goals and parameters are.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
So, a breeding question. If I have an IBL line, and then cross two of its offspring, do I get wide variation? Or has all of the possibilities been bred out of it in the effort to make the IBL?

BTW - please do tag me in the new thread when it goes up. I'll be curious to see what the goals and parameters are.
You will get variation for any of the traits that are not homozygous. I think the ratio is like 3:1...I'm still deep in a lot of reading. It really helps with the amount of traveling I do to say the least.

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I think the "problem" for the hobby breeder is the difficulty of knowing if a given trait is hetero or homozygous in a given plant. Any recessive traits that are being selected for can only come from individuals that are homozygous for that recessive trait or the dominant alleles will be expressed. You need to grow a whole bunch of plants to see the difference.

Cracken

Cracken

As a curious on looker, does cannabis plants have dominant and recessive traits similar to almost every living creature? If so then the out come of crossing would have to be a crap shoot, since its not a math formula where the number of variants can be predicted. Like 33% this or that. So in any cross then it stand to reason two great parents don't guarantee an improved or complete mix of the starting parents. I have seeds I made 10 years ago and each year i grow out 20 or more. From season to season I get different plants. But both parents were of the same lineage and a stable strain. Was this due to recessive traits coming out? Texada timewarp is the strain, from Jordan of the Island seeds

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
As a curious on looker, does cannabis plants have dominant and recessive traits similar to almost every living creature? If so then the out come of crossing would have to be a crap shoot, since its not a math formula where the number of variants can be predicted. Like 33% this or that. So in any cross then it stand to reason two great parents don't guarantee an improved or complete mix of the starting parents. I have seeds I made 10 years ago and each year i grow out 20 or more. From season to season I get different plants. But both parents were of the same lineage and a stable strain. Was this due to recessive traits coming out? Texada timewarp is the strain, from Jordan of the Island seeds

Absolutely. Beyond F2-F3 you really start to get a lot of genetic variance and a lot of recessive traits pop out. Which is the point at which breeders start trying to identify plants similar to what you started with or outlier "special" plants, crossing those, then backcrossimg the male offspring back to mom, outbreeding with other stable strains and backcrossing again etc to keep the dominant alleles expressing.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I think the "problem" for the hobby breeder is the difficulty of knowing if a given trait is hetero or homozygous in a given plant. Any recessive traits that are being selected for can only come from individuals that are homozygous for that recessive trait or the dominant alleles will be expressed. You need to grow a whole bunch of plants to see the difference.
Exactly. Hence, the idea to get as many folks growing as many seeds of the strain as possible. The big breeders crack thousands of seeds at once, thats what were trying to accomplish here... Eventually.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yeah we can't know. Unless we extend the generations to test it and even then it's dicey

Top Bottom