Bubba's Greenhouse

• Thread starter BubbaG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Hey @BubbaG I'm in the means of looking for a home and was wondering what county your in because Or if you can tellme where to look to find a county I can put a GH on?

BubbaG

BubbaG

Hey @BubbaG I'm in the means of looking for a home and was wondering what county your in because Or if you can tellme where to look to find a county I can put a GH on?
Just stay within the size limit for an external structure without having to get a permit. Here it's 200 sqft. But as long as there's no homeowners association they can't do shit even if they wanted too, which they won't as long as it's not an eye sore. odor control will help to be neighborly. Just go by the planning dept of whatever township you're moving to and ask... that's what I did... told them what I was about even. The permit was going to be like 3K, they actually suggested to keep it within the size limit and skip the permit.

BubbaG

BubbaG

I've not grown anything even close to being this resinous..... and I've grown both these strains before - multiple times for Tora Bora. It's ready enough to take now if I wanted at 44 days. That's a good week ahead of where I would have been growing in my previous fashion. they fucking love the extra rays y'all and it's only 1.8KW over the 12x12 area.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Just stay within the size limit for an external structure without having to get a permit. Here it's 200 sqft. But as long as there's no homeowners association they can't do shit even if they wanted too, which they won't as long as it's not an eye sore. odor control will help to be neighborly. Just go by the planning dept of whatever township you're moving to and ask... that's what I did... told them what I was about even. The permit was going to be like 3K, they actually suggested to keep it within the size limit and skip the permit.
Thank you for this makes a lot of sense. I will stay away from all home owner associations lol.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Speaking of HOA's. I'd like to clarify that an HOA can absolutely deny a homeowner permission to build a structure on their property. I know you said no hoa but I am putting this out there for home hunters that will encounter HOA's.

The HOA I am thinking of has a committee that approves plans for new structures. This may be what you mean by eyesore but people can't build in someone's view or block the view they have. I know a property owner that wanted to build a barn but got denied because it ruined the view from the house directly east, so that homeowner planted two rows of huge spruce trees as a 'screw you' to the retired widow next door.

Skipping a permit and working weekends might make sense now, but when you sell the house and they ask where the permit is for the new roof, what happens then?

Last edited:
BubbaG

BubbaG

Skipping a permit and working weekends might make sense now, but when you sell the house and they ask where the permit is for the new roof, what happens then?

Not sure what you mean. The only thing that might queer the deal if I was to sell my house would be the utility runs from the house, which are easily removed. The structure is built to code (beyond actually), I just chose not to pay the city 3500 to tell me how to build a metal structure.... I do that shit for a living

xavier7995

xavier7995

When I sold my house to move out here I ran into permit issues out the ass. If no one checks, its all good. I didn't when I bought the place. However selling it wound up being a nightmare. The lady who we bought it from had done renovations and the contractor never got the final signoffs done. So like 10 years later we go to sell it and some dick that worked at the permitting office pulled up all the records and then tried to use that to leverage down the price. We had to tear open the walls, the deck, various other crap to prove the whole thing was up to code so we could complete the permits. It wasn't a matter of it not being to code, its a matter of having to prove it. Yep, wound up telling the guy I would not sell it to him for any price or accept bids from the realtor, however since it got disclosed as an issue to us we had to tell every future potential buyer.

Granted, its a metal building that is sort of open so I would assume they could just look and it is sorta different. But eh, permits are jerks.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Bubba, that wasn't for you specifically, but it is very common in my neck of the woods for fix/flips to skip the permit process because it takes time and it is a pain in the ass. However, Xavier is right that the issues come when you sell. I should have clarified. Not only could you be subject to the costs of those permits, if you get caught by a code enforcement person walking their dog you'd be effed.

We worked with a roofer and then his boss skipped town, and he was in the weekend roof swap business. Drove a truck advertising tree services, had his own crew of 5. Pulled the roof Saturday, layed new one Sunday. No permits so the invoice was lower.

The home buyer questioned claims of a new roof by asking for permits, and when that happens there isn't anything to do but pay the piper. I think it's also the code enforcer and their level of abuse of authority. We've had some good but most find *something* to show that they aren't totally worthless, but they are.

When I sold my house to move out here I ran into permit issues out the ass. If no one checks, its all good. I didn't when I bought the place. However selling it wound up being a nightmare. The lady who we bought it from had done renovations and the contractor never got the final signoffs done. So like 10 years later we go to sell it and some dick that worked at the permitting office pulled up all the records and then tried to use that to leverage down the price. We had to tear open the walls, the deck, various other crap to prove the whole thing was up to code so we could complete the permits. It wasn't a matter of it not being to code, its a matter of having to prove it. Yep, wound up telling the guy I would not sell it to him for any price or accept bids from the realtor, however since it got disclosed as an issue to us we had to tell every future potential buyer.

Granted, its a metal building that is sort of open so I would assume they could just look and it is sorta different. But eh, permits are jerks.
This.

xavier7995

xavier7995

This all is why I am being a weirdo and buying land i plan to die on. Going to be like that weird dude that built a treehouse castle. My house selling debacle was enough to make me never want to ever own a house again. Luckily we had lots of family members in the trades that just drove out and spent a weekend tearing stuff apart and putting it back together. Contractor was like 5-10k.

Please note, we all think the greenhouse is frigging awesome. It is better built than my townhouse. Just saying the code folks are dicks and you might have issues. Once I eventually get my plot o land might have to pick your brain on some design ideas.

BubbaG

BubbaG

Guys, you all miss the point, or maybe I didn't make it recently being the stoner that I am.... I kept the building small enough that it didn't have to have a permit - just under 200 sqft and under 20' at the peak. So they can suck my thorny pecker no matter what unless they change the law, but I can fight that in court for grandfather rights if they do.

I researched my rights as a landowner, but sincere thanks for the concern...

Wish the Man would come by here walking his dog.... I'd sic my attack poodle on him

Thanks!! @Bulldog11

xavier7995

xavier7995

Yeah...I think I sort of forgot that 200 sq. ft. thing. I just fear code dicks. They are the bureaucratic boogymen of an Ayn Rand novel. I always made fun of libertarians until I encountered the straw men she used in my real daily life on a far too frequent basis.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Guys, you all miss the point, or maybe I didn't make it recently being the stoner that I am.... I kept the building small enough that it didn't have to have a permit - just under 200 sqft and under 20' at the peak. So they can suck my thorny pecker no matter what unless they change the law, but I can fight that in court for grandfather rights if they do.

I researched my rights as a landowner, but sincere thanks for the concern...

Wish the Man would come by here walking his dog.... I'd sic my attack poodle on him

Thanks!! @Bulldog11

View attachment 552704
I'm glad to see that you are taking a stand, and I think you are right, as I missed your point. I would like to add that your dog looks like a shag carpet, a gloriously soft shag carpet. I'm not a current dog-owner (apartment) but I have just become familiar with the breed. They seem like good pups. Yeah, so not much to add.

xavier7995

xavier7995

I'm glad to see that you are taking a stand, and I think you are right, as I missed your point. I would like to add that your dog looks like a shag carpet, a gloriously soft shag carpet. I'm not a current dog-owner (apartment) but I have just become familiar with the breed. They seem like good pups. Yeah, so not much to add.
DEAR GOD MAN, I THINK WE NEED TO EAT PEYOTE WITH THIS GUY....and some dmt...then pet that fuzzy dog.

Latest posts

Top Bottom