Buckets or Grow bags??

• Thread starter SmokesalotofVT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pokerman

i got the white bags and wat i did was flip them inside out cuz the inside is black for camo.....

Glassdub

Glassdub

Sorry for necroposting but I'm considering using 5 gal buckets on my first grow (inside in tent), I've used grow bags outside for 3 years mostly growing tomatoes & I kinda hate them, they grow moss, the roots tie up in them, they are hard to keep stable with large plants & are a pain in the ass to clean up, I actually used a washing machine, it made a mess of the machine & they were still pretty mossy.
Are there any major short comings in this application for buckets, I love them for potatoes.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
I have never seen potatoes grow so good as they did last year in a cloth bag in our garden!

Glassdub

Glassdub

True, but I wonder what leaves more of a footprint over time. šŸ¤”

Glassdub

Glassdub

I actually still have a couple new 7 gal (I can't believe they were 7 upon look up they seemed like 4 max) Root Pouch bags I believe, though I hate them I wouldn't be opposed to using them if better, the plus of using them inside is less to no chance of moss.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Been using 3 gallon bags (no kidding)..I find the cheapest ones that I can find and don't wash them. After all, there is a colony of bennies in there and I wouldn't want to toss them. I get maybe three grows out of each before tossing. here are a couple of 4+ footers in a 3 gallon cloth bag! šŸ˜±

One neat thing about the cloth bags, is that you can drop a small one into a bigger one..while the plant is growing! Instead of being air pruned..the roots will grow thru the small bag and find the new soil (I do it outdoors after starting indoors.
4 13 19
4 13 19 1

Glassdub

Glassdub

This is 3.5 gal bucket in a 7 (?!) gal bag I wonder how they size these things.

20200207 084856
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Sorry for necroposting but I'm considering using 5 gal buckets on my first grow (inside in tent), I've used grow bags outside for 3 years mostly growing tomatoes & I kinda hate them, they grow moss, the roots tie up in them, they are hard to keep stable with large plants & are a pain in the ass to clean up, I actually used a washing machine, it made a mess of the machine & they were still pretty mossy.
Are there any major short comings in this application for buckets, I love them for potatoes.
Coincidentally I had a few thoughts on just this subject earlier this morning;

Glassdub

Glassdub

Coincidentally I had a few thoughts on just this subject earlier this morning;

Yeah, those air pots are INSANELY overpriced & probably more plastic than 3 buck buckets.

Glassdub

Glassdub

One neat thing about the cloth bags, is that you can drop a small one into a bigger one..while the plant is growing! Instead of being air pruned..the roots will grow thru the small bag and find the new soil (I do it outdoors after starting indoors.

So essentially like huge Peat pots. šŸ¤£

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Betcha, clean up on my buckets was faster & more thorough though. šŸ˜„

Nope, I bet not.
Just used my hands to dig down through the FF soil, they come out like rocks out of sand!
The bag is ready to dry out and reuse as is.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Again, I use a "huge" bag.
Roots go to the edges but never root bound even after 14 weeks.
And these bags are made for taters!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Man..by the time that I chop..those cloth pots are so thick with roots, that a moisture meter pointed probe has trouble getting through..
Got to agree I've noticed the roots are growing like crazy in them!

Using a wood shish kabob skewer to see how moist they are down to the bottom it's already hard to push it through the new roots

Latest posts

Top Bottom