Bud Washing? Pros And Cons?

• Thread starter Betico
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Betico

Betico

hey guys I'm fairly new to growing and getting ready for my first harvest soon. I'm doing as much research as possible to ensure I get it all done the right way. However I came across this video here and the guy literally dunks his freshly harvested bud in three separate buckets of liquid.

It's at the 15:15 mark.

Just trying to figure out if this is beneficial or harmful to the trichomes, will it mess with the potency of your bud?

Thanks in advance.

xavier7995

xavier7995

Uhhh....don't do that. No scientific reasoning, that just sounds like a terrible idea, am open to being proved wrong. I wonder if dude is trying to make it appear more sticky or something; I have encountered folks that sprayed sugar water on the buds to add weight and shine, on brick weed.

Betico

Betico

Ok great I thought this seemed wayyyyy out of the ordinary. Thanks for the replies.

T

TripC

Definitely wouldn't do that. Stick to normal harvesting techniques - a good trim followed by a controlled dry and cure and you're set no dunking in liquids lol good luck

GroVerde

GroVerde

I was wondering the same and when i came across the bud washing technique i instantly said f that lol im not dunkin n drowning my harvest lol

jaybodankly

jaybodankly

Be interesting to wash some buds in a 5gal bucket, strain the rinse water with a fine bubble hash bag and look at the contents under a microscope. Looking at outdoor buds under a microscope you see lots of insect parts. Indoor gets more hair and stray clothing threads.

GroVerde

GroVerde

Be interesting to wash some buds in a 5gal bucket, strain the rinse water with a fine bubble hash bag and look at the contents under a microscope. Looking at outdoor buds under a microscope you see lots of insect parts. Indoor gets more hair and stray clothing threads.
Yea watching a view vids almost had me but still nerve wrecking to do. But i heard it speeds up for a quicker dry process

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've washed in a mix of water&H2O2 when I had a batch with PM at the end. Works a treat. ONLY do it with freshly harvested buds. I will say that I tripped out heavily at the amount of dirt that came off. But, given it was OD and all, that does make sense. A few bugs here and there, too.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Two words...

Hepa Filter

You know that burnt ashtray smell you get when you're smoking your cannabis? It's not from the cannabis. This smell comes from nutrient excess, spray/systemic residues and... dust, pollen, spores, hair, dander, carpet/clothing fibers and whatever else is getting sucked into your intake.

Adding a hepa filter (I make mine from 3m furnace filters) to your intakes will mildly to significantly upgrade your quality. Depending on the level of particulates in your area.

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I have had to wash off one outdoor crop because of a really bad winds had blown lots of dust on the buds and yes they need to be fresh and done quickly then shake the fuck out of them to get the water off the buds didn't suffer at all it would of been shitty buds all covered in dust if I didn't .

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I had a local grower in Colorado ask me to test some cannabis they grew. They had a PM problem about 3-4 weeks before harvest. They used the h202 and water bath method, soaking each branch for about 5 minutes, with gentle agitation. They said it grossed them out how much mold floated to the surface.

I'm ultra-sensitive to taste and smell and there was almost zero flavor of mold, just a tiny hint on the exhale. I was quite surprised. The terpenes were low, from the washing, but it was still passable.

mojavegreen

mojavegreen

And just imagine, we're breathing that dust all the time!
You should try the mojave for dust!
:speechless:
The pads in my swamp cooler filters out most dust but some still comes through. You should see the water after washing my carbon pre-filter!
:(

hillbil

hillbil

I often rinse my herb at chop and it does no harm especially if I've used NeemOil or whatever. Rain don't bother them outdoors. Do it right a way or not at all though. I rinse with clear water only.

Handling weed gently after drying gets far less attention than it should. The drier it is the easier the trichs fall off and losses can be significant.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have to put bells on that, @hillbil in a big way. I agree with you 100%
And just imagine, we're breathing that dust all the time!
You should try the mojave for dust!
:speechless:
The pads in my swamp cooler filters out most dust but some still comes through. You should see the water after washing my carbon pre-filter!
:(
You call it dust? :p My favorite is right after I've wiped down the kitchen counters, and then I feel that grit again. Oh! And grit in my bed, I LOVE THAT! (not)

CharmCity915

CharmCity915

Ok great I thought this seemed wayyyyy out of the ordinary. Thanks for the replies.
It’s not that far out of the ordinary and a lot more folks are starting to do it. Unless you’re working with a sealed and controlled environment, there there is a good chance nasty particulars in the air can land on your plants. As long as you’re gentle and do it with caution, you will be good. Gotta try things to find out if they work or not, it may blow your mind✌❤️

Top Bottom