Building A Sealed Room And I Have A Question About Drywall.

• Thread starter UrsaMajor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

UrsaMajor

So I'm building a sealed room inside of an industrial building and I already had my frame built by a carpenter.

I want to save some money and after watching a video on how to drywall, I can do it myself.

My question is if I'm going to put Orca grow film over my walls, do I need to bother putting drywall mud over the entire walls, or is it fine if I just put it over the seams to seal any leaks? It'd sure save a lot of time to just put up the gypsum board, patch the seams, and staple the film on.

Thank you ahead for any responses.

Homesteader

Homesteader

If you want to save time, you could use TUCK tape around the joints. If you are trying to save money though, you may be better off mudding everything and going with a white paint. ORCA is pricey.
This tape will remove your fingerprints and its what you want for sealing.

U

UrsaMajor

yes mud her up to seal it all up
Now with the savings from doing it all your self ???
I would also suggest purchasing Green board which is mold resistant

I definitely don't own the tools to build a giant frame and I wanted someone with experience to do that. Any failure could be very costly in equipment damage.

I have never heard of green board. I was going to use fire board but green board is definitely a better idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

ORCA is pricey.

Orca is a necessity. Proper equipment is the only way to go.

Paying someone a bunch of money to hang drywall would be costly though. Doing the drywall myself will pay for the Orca.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I have Orca and I like it but it isn't a necessity IMO. Considering you haven't hung drywall before I need to ask if you have help? Green board is going to be pricier and much heavier. If you are using ORCA over top, and you aren't going to paint the sheetrock, I would def use green board behind it. FYI greenboard is still fire rated it just has antimicrobial. IMO you would be better off with regular sheetrock, tape it, mud it, paint it, then do what you want with the Orca.

U

UrsaMajor

I'm not worried about the cost of the material. It's just simple enough it'd be foolish of me to pay someone else to do it. I definitely will have someone give me a hand. I wouldn't be surprised if an older relative has previous experience.

Switching from personal to professional grower so I'm abandoning panda for Orca.

If you want to save time, you could use TUCK tape around the joints.

Just to make sure I'm following you right, I can just tuck tape the seams and I don't need to bother putting joint compound over all of the drywall to make sure it is airtight for CO2 use?

Last edited:
G gnome

G gnome

Im a carpenter and i still pay drywallers to do the drywall. Its like the cheapest part labor wise u can do....$5-$8 a sheet hung and taped.....
I definitely don't own the tools to build a giant frame and I wanted someone with experience to do that. Any failure could be very costly in equipment damage.

I have never heard of green board. I was going to use fire board but green board is definitely a better idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Orca is a necessity. Proper equipment is the only way to go.

Paying someone a bunch of money to hang drywall would be costly though. Doing the drywall myself will pay for the Orca.

Homesteader

Homesteader

If you don't mind sacrifcing your fire rating and you can get all the sheetrock seams tight, I don't see why not. Make sure you tuck tape all dry wall screws as well and staples as well if they are longer than the sheet rock. gypsum is fire retardent though, and you may want to reconsider.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Drywall is hard to do right, but in this case, who cares what it looks like. Get some sheetrock tape, joint compound and a knife....and tuck tape.

G gnome

G gnome

Hangin drywall sux for as lil as it costs i wud def say just pay the labor....ull thank me when ur doin the ceiling haha.....all due respect but this guy dont seem like the handiest dude pay and it will be done in a cpl days

U

UrsaMajor

Im a carpenter and i still pay drywallers to do the drywall. Its like the cheapest part labor wise u can do....$5-$8 a sheet hung and taped.....

Labor savings will pay for the Orca.

Drywall is hard to do right, but in this case, who cares what it looks like. Get some sheetrock tape, joint compound and a knife....and tuck tape.

That's my whole thought process. Even if I had to put compound over the entire thing I wouldn't bother to sand it level because I don't care if it looks pretty. Not to mention film is just going to be stapled on top of it to cover it. If I was drywalling my living room I'd have someone with experience do it so it looked nice.

What do I need compound for if I tuck tape all the seams?

U

UrsaMajor

Hangin drywall sux for as lil as it costs i wud def say just pay the labor....ull thank me when ur doin the ceiling haha.....all due respect but this guy dont seem like the handiest dude pay and it will be done in a cpl days

All due respect but you seem like a retarded asshole with poor English skills.

Homesteader

Homesteader

What do I need compound for if I tuck tape all the seams?
The gypsum is not flammable. tuck tape is.
In a fire a piece of drywall properly tape should contain a fire for 30 min.

U

UrsaMajor

Insults to one of the most helpful dudes on this site get you real far at the farm.
Claiming I'm "not handy" for asking questions about doing something I've never done before when you can't use the English language is moronic.

I don't need help with growing.

I'm asking if the gypsum board is airtight because obviously not a single how-to guide on drywall says if it is air tight or not because they are videos made for doing your house, not a grow room, where compound and sanding is required for painting, which I'm not doing.

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Do not use OSB or strand board for anything in your room. Hang your sheet rock make sure all the seams are tight. Screw the mud and all the other bullshit. Get some tubes of vulkem and kaulk all the seams then smooth em out easy peasee. I personally line my rooms with TPO floor to the top of the walls.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

All due respect but you seem like a retarded asshole with poor English skills.
Ursa there is no need to be that way everyone is trying to help
Bottom line i am jack of all trades dry wall tape mud etc
Unless you really know what you are doing you either going to wish you did pay someone to do it
its not as easy green board weights 52 pounds and even though it you may think that is fuck all trust me try holding one over your head even with helper or halling one sheet by your self
gnome is right a pro will come in bang it up do 2 coats tape n mud and be done no need for 4 coat proper mud finish

I have Done sealed rooms my mistake was that i did not go green board
when running co2 RH is always the culprit to disease and mold
And i fucking wish i still had pictures cause after 2nd season i decided to change out film guess what BLACK MOLD Everywhere the dry wall was soaking wet including one wall that was cinderblock
no matter what GO greeen board trust me i ran 4 rooms 19000 watts 8o plants per

PS my punctuation sucks and i assure you i am a asshole lol
Picture 034
Picture 026
Picture 019

G gnome

G gnome

Look man the reason i sed u didnt sound handy is cuz if ya cant build a square boz outta 2x4's then ya probably cant drywall it.

Btw sorry if my vernacular doesn't meet ur standards....:)

U

UrsaMajor

Ursa there is no need to be that way everyone is trying to help

green board weights 52 pounds and even though it you may think that is fuck all trust me try holding one over your head even with helper or halling one sheet by your self

Why does he have to insult me for asking questions?

My standing reach is over 9' and I am a powerlifter. 52 pounds is nothing unless you are a gnome.

Look man the reason i sed u didnt sound handy is cuz if ya cant build a square boz outta 2x4's then ya probably cant drywall it.

Btw sorry if my vernacular doesn't meet ur standards....:)

Your reading skills suck to dude? I specifically said I don't own the tools to build. I own zero power tools because I'm intelligent enough to have never had to work manual labor.

Do not use OSB or strand board for anything in your room. Hang your sheet rock make sure all the seams are tight. Screw the mud and all the other bullshit. Get some tubes of vulkem and kaulk all the seams then smooth em out easy peasee. I personally line my rooms with TPO floor to the top of the walls.

Thank you for the answer I'm looking for

Last edited:
Top Bottom