Building A Sealed Room And I Have A Question About Drywall.

• Thread starter UrsaMajor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Fire rating is a rate of burning for every construction material. It's bull shit. I install a new roof my roof has a a proper fire rating let's say it's TPO we are installing OK I'm good on that fire rating. Now there's a electrical short that starts a fire in the roof structure. That fire rating for my roof is null and void now. As the structure burns so does my roof. End of fire rating it's just a way for you to be charged more money to build a structure.

Homesteader

Homesteader

A big charcoal filter will help filter VOCs after the fact. There will be offgassing from lots of materials used- not so bad if you have some kind of exhaust but airtight? Shit accumulates
We have codes for a reason. The IRC book is a proven winner for a reason.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Fire rating is a rate of burning for every construction material. It's bull shit. I install a new roof my roof has a a proper fire rating let's say it's TPO we are installing OK I'm good on that fire rating. Now there's a electrical short that starts a fire in the roof structure. That fire rating for my roof is null and void now. As the structure burns so does my roof. End of fire rating it's just a way for you to be charged more money to build a structure.
Not the same in terms of sheetrock. I am not talking about warranties I am talking about safety.
Sheetrock is rated to withstand and hold fire for a certain period of time.

G gnome

G gnome

Even safety aside....why the hell wud u use osb?
Too expensive
It swells like crazy when it gets wet
Molds easily

U

UrsaMajor

I would assume they werent talking about just during curing.

I may not be handy according to ggnome but I'm smart enough to know that some roofing caulk isn't volatile enough to vaporize from a solid state.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Chill bud I'm just trying to help. Honestly I could give a fuk if you want moldy paper walls. Relax
Thats why you paint the microbial inbedded sheetrock with two coats after you are done and retape all your joints with tuck.

U

UrsaMajor

How do you guys have so many mold problems? Does no one own a dehumidifier? lol

Homesteader

Homesteader

I may not be handy according to ggnome but I'm smart enough to know that some roofing caulk isn't volatile enough to vaporize from a solid state.
Use it then, I didnt continue writing here to help you at all.

U

UrsaMajor

Use it then

It's under consideration. Just think about it for a second though. If it continued to evaporate after it had dried (cured) then the seal would just disappear into thin air. It wouldn't be a sealant then. What would be the point of using it then?

Trying to teach your ass chemistry.

G gnome

G gnome

That's why you go Sheetrock then plywood or osb. To retain your fire break. Pricey but much smarter more durable long term. Moving big tables ac handlers n such in and out your bound to knock a hole in drywall. Wood is durable and moisture resistant u seal it w primer then coat w rubber you've got a water proof surface. U caulk the joints w polyurethane u got a sealed moisture resistant room. Honestly I don't know why I wasted 10 min of my life writing that shit lol.... Closed minded. Peace
More than likely it against code
2 layers is overkill imo
Waste of money ino
Unsafe imo
Sheeting interior walls w drywall is the standard for a reason

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Green board is used in high humid areas for a reason bathrooms Sauna's etc in door swimming pools etc
like i said i could not believe the mold behind the film when i tore it out ,, Black mold is a fungus and bad shit it .
once it starts it being a fungus it multiples every 10 mins
if you rent the home you screwed , if you own the home you just screwed your self ..
I remember years ago friend was talked into doing a hydro grow op in his basement after 2 failed grows he said fuck it and tore it down only to find mold it cost him over 60,000 to repair before he could even sell the house that he purchased just for the grow..
After all said and done he said he pretty much gave the house away for free cause he didn't come close to breaking even
And now with laws in place for home purchasers there needs to be a home inspection before bank even lends out money its a great idea it covers your ass to buying a house where a possible grow op destroyed it

U

UrsaMajor

Green board is used in high humid areas for a reason bathrooms Sauna's etc in door swimming pools etc
like i said i could not believe the mold behind the film when i tore it out ,, Black mold is a fungus and bad shit it .
once it starts it being a fungus it multiples every 10 mins
if you rent the home you screwed , if you own the home you just screwed your self ..
I remember years ago friend was talked into doing a hydro grow op in his basement after 2 failed grows he said fuck it and tore it down only to find mold it cost him over 60,000 to repair before he could even sell the house that he purchased just for the grow..
After all said and done he said he pretty much gave the house away for free cause he didn't come close to breaking even

Why not just use a dehumidifier and put an UV filter on your HVAC unit to kill spores and not have to worry about mold?

Homesteader

Homesteader

I hear grasscity has some openings @UrsaMajor .....WHy don't you go play hide go fuck yourself?

If you were smart enough to get the right product...you wouldn't be here making friends now would you? You can use a caulk.....WIll you get the right one? DOubt it with your attitude....Im nice as shit at the depot and still get treated like a gnome.

U

UrsaMajor

I hear grasscity has some openings @UrsaMajor .....WHy don't you go play hide go fuck yourself?

If you were smart enough to get the right product...you wouldn't be here making friends now would you? You can use a caulk.....WIll you get the right one? DOubt it with your attitude....Im nice as shit at the depot and get treated like a gnome.

You chastise me for insulting ggnome when he insulted me and then when I do the same to you by pointing out that your critical thinking skills are so weak you thought some sealant would continue to vaporize once dry, thus leaving it unsealed, you insult me.

Pot kettle black.

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Dude first of all i was taught if your going to do something then do not cut corners either you do it right so it lasts and does not create problems or do not do it at all
plain n simple.
why spend 2000 on something then nickel and dime the rest when all you needed was another 500 to do it right

Top Bottom