butane chemical resistance guide -- check it out before ya make an extraction tube

• Thread starter jdubz206
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jdubz206

i've been planning on making a new extraction tube and have been doing some research on what material would be best for butane extractions. i found a really cool chemical compatibility\resistance guide that i thought others might find useful as well.

ideally, i'd love to get a glass tube that i could use for extractions. unfortunately, i don't know any glass blowers and finding a glass tube with a hole in one end and no end at all on the other is near impossible to find...especially when you take into consideration the length...

so i moved onto metals...i figured my best bet would be to use some sort of a metal as the tube...then i started wondering what metal to use...this is when i wanted to do some research...i have read so much conflicting information on the web, i wanted to find out factual information. what i found is that not every metal is safe...none of the metals i researched were dangerous but some of them had the same chemical compatibility level of pvc and that's what i've been trying to avoid all together.

the chemical compatibility guide uses the following scale to determine compatibility:

Ratings -- Chemical Effect
A = Excellent.
B = Good -- Minor Effect, slight corrosion
or discoloration.
C = Fair -- Moderate Effect, not recommended
for continuous use. Softening, loss of strength,
swelling may occur.
D = Severe Effect, not recommended for ANY use.
N/A = Information Not Available.

PVC and Butane have a compatibility rating of "C - Fair". if you're not going to use PVC, there's no point in using a metal that is just as dangerous. i've decided that i only want to use a metal that has a compatibility rating of "A - Excellent". if i'm already going an out of the way store to grab the vector butane and taking extra steps for purging, heating, etc..well, if i'm already doing all of that, i better be damn sure that my extraction tube is up to par with the rest of the pre-cautions and safety measures i'm taking with the rest of the oil making process.

this is a chemical compatibility\resistance list for butane :

Material -- Compatibility

304 stainless steel -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

316 stainless steel -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

ABS plastic -- B-Good
face-B_17-16.gif
Acetal (Delrinr) -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Aluminum -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif
Brass -- N/A
Bronze -- C-Fair
face-C_17-16.gif

Buna N (Nitrile) -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Carbon graphite -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Carbon Steel -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Carpenter 20 -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Cast iron -- N/A
Ceramic Al203 -- N/A
Ceramic magnet -- N/A
ChemRaz (FFKM) -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Copper -- C-Fair
face-C_17-16.gif

CPVC -- C-Fair
face-C_17-16.gif

EPDM -- D-Severe Effect
face-D_17-16.gif

Epoxy -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Fluorocarbon (FKM) -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Hastelloy-Cr -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Hypalonr -- B-Good
face-B_17-16.gif

Hytrelr -- N/A
Kalrez -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Kel-Fr -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

LDPE -- C-Fair
face-C_17-16.gif

Natural rubber -- D-Severe Effect
face-D_17-16.gif

Neoprene -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif
NORYLr -- D-Severe Effect
face-D_17-16.gif

Nylon -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Polycarbonate -- D-Severe Effect
face-D_17-16.gif

Polyetherether Ketone (PEEK) -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Polypropylene -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Polyurethane -- D-Severe Effect
face-D_17-16.gif

PPS (Ryton�) -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

PTFE -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

PVC -- C-Fair
face-C_17-16.gif

PVDF (Kynar�) -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Silicone -- D-Severe Effect
face-D_17-16.gif

Titanium -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

Tygonr -- C-Fair
face-C_17-16.gif

Vitonr -- A-Excellent
face-A_17-15.gif

while i don't know what half the materials are, it definitely made me realize that i should NOT use any bronze or copper pieces. brass isn't rated on this chart but i did more research and found that brass also has an "a - excellent" rating for corrosion resistance.

i got this info from the following sites:

my choices would be titanium or aluminum for sheer convienence. okief's extractor tube is made of aluminum. i'm thinking that will be my best bet for now. titanium is rather expensive i'd imagine.

i hope this helps someone else besides me :smiley_joint: take care farmers. peace.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
nice so nylon zipties are fine too. was pretty sure. i think i saw this info one time.

J

Jalisco Kid

Just get a stainless steel turkey baster for 8 bucks. Mine came with a needle that perfectly fits the butane nozzle.JK

logic

logic

Administrator
Staff
Good info jdubz...and you do know a glass blower :) here on the farm

J

jdubz206

thanks JK..i just want something a bit bigger than the basters i've seen

logic, hey bro..i was actually just thinkin about that today while i was drivin...i'm going to send a pm and see if they could make something like that...i'm guessing other people might be interested too

O

OilFarmer

Hey All im a machinist in BC and I have designed, then tested, then redesigned, then tested then redesigned a high end oil extractor, have got very good feedback so I am now selling to whoever would like one at a very reasonable price seeing as how they are entirely from stainless, with threaded caps and o rings to stop any leakage.
I call it the oil pig. Email me at [email protected] for more stats and pics
check it out and let me know what you think

B

BudsSmoker

Oilfarmer the Okief model is $50 yours is $120 how is that a very reasonable price ??

Graywolf

Graywolf

We have 1” boro silicate tubes made by the local scientific glass blower for $1 an inch, plus $5 to flare one end and close and roll a nozzle into the other.

We have to order 10 at a time, but split the order between several people and 12", 24", and 36" lengths.

I also use stainless and copper columns as necessary. It isn't the copper that is reacting with the butane; it is the copper oxide that is of concern. Commercial butane still has some sulfur left in it, which is converted to H2S04 (sulfuric acid) and attacks copper. Butane by itself does not. I simply use high quality butane and make sure that the copper stays oxide free.

Boro silicate tubes are more maintenance free, except when they are cold from butane injection, they are fragile. I have so far broken four, which costs about $10 to shorten and fix each time.

Metal columns of course, don’t break and are faster to load and unload. Their only down side that I see, is that you can’t watch.

O

OilFarmer

The Oil Pig is not made with rubber stops and hose clamps. parts from hardware stores.
More stainless, less aluminum. Save on shipping because its not coming halfway across the world, If you live in North America. It is more then a stainless tube with rubber plugs. Check out the site

O

OilFarmer

You get what you pay for
I am going to be putting more detailed pics up of the construction.
The other one is a thin wall tube cut with some rubber plugs and hose clamps and legs.
Our caps are threaded on with O rings that prevent any leak.
PLus the bottom caps have more holes. We use 150 micron to allow all mature trichromes to pass through our screen is held tightly in polace between the end of the tube and a step in the end cap.
high grade stainless seamless tubing used.
We dont sell replacement parts because you wont ever need replacement parts except maybe screen.

O

OilFarmer

www.theoilpig.highwire.com
The Oil Pig construction is built better then any small batch exractor,
Not parts put together from hardware stores,
caps are threaded and have O rings that prevent any leakage, We supply both 150 mic and 120 mic screen, but we suggest 150 so all mature trichromes pass the screen.
High quality stainless, even the legs. Butane is a solvent and breaks down materials. Aluminum oxidizes and is leaded.
We have no need to sell replacement parts because they will never be needed. Change of screens if you dont wash them.
The oil pig is built to last.
We have been asked for custom lengths and yes we can make it to whatever length you would like.

B

BudsSmoker

Haha its $100 now. Im sure its better machined but if i got half an hour with a lathe id do the same. Looks good but still pricey !!

B

Buddpig

If you can machine that in 1/2 an hour on a lathe, I will give you a job at our shop.
I have been machinng things for 20 years and I can not machine one in that amount of time...and I CNC machined some of the parts.

Cheers :)

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
lol right on. send me one to test for you, i'm a worthy reviewer :)

B

BudsSmoker

A worthy reviewer indeed !!
Since it does look so nice it could be worth those $$$, haha i was thinking along the lines of something more crude in half an hour Budpig ! That does look like nice workmanship you got there.

G

ganjherbsmoke

I love the okeef u can get a double xtractor for a 100 from them 3 ounces at once no prob with that set up!

B

Buddpig

Extractor

Thanx man, if we could make it any cheaper we would, but 316 and 304 Stainless costs a lot so does CNC machining time, material shipping and tooling.
I decided to make them after viewing the vids Rick Simpson and David Triplet posted on you tube about curing Cancer with Hash Oil. This is the reason it is all Stainless, Pvc, plastics, aluminum, rubber unless its Viton are just not going to cut it. I wish I could give them away to those who are sick and need to make oil as a medicine, and sell them to us Stoners who just like to get baked. Until we have a higher sales volume and can buy materials cheaper this is just not possible. I am sure all the products sold for solvent extraction work and are decent quality, but some of the materials are questionable when used with solvents, even the Honey bee breaks down with time, and aluminum oxadizes when exposed to air ( that white powder stuff on the surface ) and will come thru in the solution, if exposed to that over time it can cause severe health problems, it effects the nervous system the list goes on and on, so we avoid it. The solvent wont react with the alluminum, but it will wash out any oxidization that has occured, even if you can not see it , it is there, and more so over time.
The Extractor we make will last a life time and Stainless is used for medical products. I am looking into larger ones for bigger quantities, but I need to consider flow and wash times for decent yields.

Happy, Smokin.

R

REGISTRD

Very informative thread. Been debating on making our own tube or not. Unfortunatly most of the tubes seem too small. The okieef 4 seems like u could get alot down it says 150 gm how much does the oilpig hold? anyone made a diy yet for a decent tube that does alot hasmastas tutorial is sik but dam thatd take forever for the quantity we wanna run...

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
you can make pretty big glass extraction tubes too, glass is non reactive.

Top Bottom