Cal Mag?

• Thread starter jakew215
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

cheyenne

You can use a bloom formula for the veg cycle, post those numbers in the parenthesis before you crack the lid on the bottle of Micro.

Precisely. So what makes that not a one part?

I tell you what, I'll run a side by side of the same cut using Bloom only for an entire cycle and my standard grow, grow/bloom
bloom.

Youre not talking to a child thats on the playground for the 1st time. Youre obviously an intelligent individual, stop confusing people.

F

farmerjohn

What has this string vectored off into? I can't seem to follow. I do know if some1 is a notorious cal/mag whore, they have a poop load of company 'round here. I guess it's mandatory for most coco puff grows, or those that use RO wa-wa, but I've never used it, ever! Never needed it. I gotta get some though. If I am to believe the postings I see here, it will cure any problem one might encounter while growing pot. Seems it fixes curled leaves, promotes root development, unlocks locked up plants, defeats mosiac virus, kills whiteflies, thrips & mites, as well as making a great mouthwash, that while it does not improve breath much, it sure does add some calcium to those pearly whites!

J

jakew215

ive got enough info from this thread a while back.

the rest is a pissing match farmer john.

i gave them a good flush and fed them after a few days with a very light feed following a foliar feed.

the leaves that were originally effected are all dying off but no more leaves are getting signs of it.

now the spider mites i mentioned earlier are rearing there ugly heads again... im frustrated growing in this stupid ass dirty nasty basement.

my new room is gonna be fuckin lab coat.

F

farmerjohn

With an hepa filter so small in microns, the mites can't pass through! Yeah, the basement can be crappy @ times, Jake. Mine leaks water through the foundation, which is a frikin' mess to clean up!

It's good to hear that a solution seems to be a hand. It's too much hard work to have bacteria or insects or arachnids take it all away. Yeah, I only jumped on board 'cause the title was cal/mag. The marijuana "cure all" makes for some interesting pissin' matches. Well, good luck with the continuing grow.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Lost, you're gonna be lookin' for quite some time, ain't much to be found around here. :mmm
What has this string vectored off into? I can't seem to follow. I do know if some1 is a notorious cal/mag whore, they have a poop load of company 'round here. I guess it's mandatory for most coco puff grows, or those that use RO wa-wa, but I've never used it, ever! Never needed it. I gotta get some though. If I am to believe the postings I see here, it will cure any problem one might encounter while growing pot. Seems it fixes curled leaves, promotes root development, unlocks locked up plants, defeats mosiac virus, kills whiteflies, thrips & mites, as well as making a great mouthwash, that while it does not improve breath much, it sure does add some calcium to those pearly whites!
Soil is quite different from coco, farmer. As you have noted, we rarely need to amend with additional Ca/Mg when growing in soil, heck, when was the last time you worried about your water source (I assume you grow outdoors)?

I never did find the article(s) for Guff on how plants and microbes are able to perform their own cation/anion exchanges, thusly regulating to a great degree the pH in their immediate surroundings, rhizosphere especially. But the point is that coco and other soillelss media don't allow that because they don't have the minerals and other materials present that soil typically does. And I pissed off the guy who always gets these articles, so....

In any event, that's got a lot to do with the cries for Ca/Mg.

Mud Man

Mud Man

Lost, you're gonna be lookin' for quite some time, ain't much to be found around here. :mmm

Soil is quite different from coco, farmer. As you have noted, we rarely need to amend with additional Ca/Mg when growing in soil, heck, when was the last time you worried about your water source (I assume you grow outdoors)?

I never did find the article(s) for Guff on how plants and microbes are able to perform their own cation/anion exchanges, thusly regulating to a great degree the pH in their immediate surroundings, rhizosphere especially. But the point is that coco and other soillelss media don't allow that because they don't have the minerals and other materials present that soil typically does. And I pissed off the guy who always gets these articles, so....

In any event, that's got a lot to do with the cries for Ca/Mg.

Bravo !! Cation Caution :)
Ca/Mg has been bandied about more times in 2010 than i have ever seen.
As mentioned it seems to be the cure/problem with every single grow pain..
I may start flowering in bottles of Cal/Mag :punch.
cal/mag cal/mag cal/mag..
I found out the other day that Molasses is a lovely source of cal/mag and iron :)

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Precisely. So what makes that not a one part?

I tell you what, I'll run a side by side of the same cut using Bloom only for an entire cycle and my standard grow, grow/bloom
bloom.

You choosing to eliminate and not follow the manufacturers instructions does not make it a one part. Yes, a bloom formula works for veg. I would run the same experiment, but I won't run a bloom formula in veg as it costs plant size and yeild. I change my formula several times through out a cycle to maximize genetic expression.

You can grow weed with Miracle Gro too. I grow dope though, which requires a bit more fine tuning per strain, etc.

If you veg one plant with a veg formula and another with a bloom and you do not see a difference in size after 4 weeks in a hydro system, you ain't got your environment dialed in and tricked out.

I played the Lucas Formula game for a bit too. It is lacking. I think a certain amount of bloom is Lucas.

Youre obviously an intelligent individual, stop confusing people.

I just said it was a two part. It was everyone else that got confusing. For the record, if you use FloraNova, you should buy both the grow and bloom, both of the two parts.

I wasn't meaning to confuse anyone, merely trying to stop Jake from pouring all kinds of CalMag on his girls.

A

amstercal

You can grow weed with Miracle Gro too. I grow dope though, which requires a bit more fine tuning per strain, etc.

I missed the difference between weed and dope? Glad jake got the help he needed. He was about to start growing pussywillows. :-)

And Lost, you were the prop master for your high school production of Little Shop of Horrors? And it all comes together ;-P he he.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

Jakew215
You got a lot of great advise from a lot of people that know what they are doing. It doesn't take long to figure out who knows their shit, and who only talks it. Good job on not getting to involved in the BS. How are the plants doing? Take care.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

I missed the difference between weed and dope?

Anyone can grow weed, it's just a weed after all. Dope is the maximization of genetics. Da digity dank.

I have seen a lot of weed growers, dope farmers are fewer and far between, espicially in the days of MMJ.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

Ahh, c'mon folks, its just a little pissing contest, nothing major. Pissing contests can divulge good info to people.

Like getting into the ppm breakdowns of specific nutes.

At 10mL/gallon, FloraNova Grow has 158 ppm Ca.
At 10mL/gallon, FloraNova Bloom has 154 ppm Ca.

Using 15G 10M 5B (mL per gallon of Flora Grow, Micro & Bloom) gives you about 134ppm of Ca.

People don't complain about micro def with Flora, yet it has a bit less available Ca than FloraNova.

I have a good sized gene bank I work with. I have one plant that is an absolute Ca whore and one that is a Mg hooker. To contend with these, I do not increase my Micro, buy CalMag, etc.

I pay attention to the pH of the nutrient solution.

I have said how I feel aboiut that blue pH chart and St0ney who made, when he made it, how he made it, etc.

I think I think it sucks balls. Use this one and then ask yourself why all of the newer nute companies preach 5.6-6.2 for the range. I think part of that has to do with reading these boards over the course of years, quite frankly. Who knows.

Look at the absorbtion rates. If you are not using soil (clay & sand in da shit) you have soiless. Any peat, perlite, vermiculite mixture I call soiless. Well I actually call it dirt, but I treat the pH much more like a hydro situation.

Somewhere around here is a sticky from Texas Kid with two pH charts. The blue one is from St0ney and it sucks. It has been making its rounds on da net for years and needs to visit the great recycling bin in the sky. The black and white one is the one I use. Check it out and see where Ca is best absorbed.

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

I think it was seamaiden that made the point about CoCo too. CalMag definitely gained popularity with that group. I know some brands of CoCo required that you first flush them with Clearex or what Sputnik recommended to get rid of the salts and then a soaking in a solution of CalMag. The whole cation exchange and some 'o dat sceinmatific type shit.

That always sounded like too much damn work to me.

F

farmerjohn

I made the tongue in cheek observation that Count Chocula is fortified with calcium & magnesium, in another cal/mag whores on parade string. Unfortunately, it has not gained the popularity that coco puffs have gained & retained. If I have learned nothing else from these multiple strings of cal/maginess, I have learned that coco grows require the stuff & soil growers should basically ignore any string that contains the words cal or mag!

L

Lost

I made the tongue in cheek observation that Count Chocula is fortified with calcium & magnesium, in another cal/mag whores on parade string. Unfortunately, it has not gained the popularity that coco puffs have gained & retained. If I have learned nothing else from these multiple strings of cal/maginess, I have learned that coco grows require the stuff & soil growers should basically ignore any string that contains the words cal or mag!

There are a few OG's that can use a little in soil ( a few, not most!!). Its totally blown out of proportion imo tho..

Cat Jockey

Cat Jockey

The CalMag thing does seem to be wtf outta control. Here is the scoop:

Using RO water? You must use a Micro nute like CalMag. Ca & Mg are in tap water in sizeable amounts. Take it out with a RO filter and you need to replace it.

Using RO water and a decent nute line? You don't need an extra jug of nutes labeled CalMag. Most nute companies have plenty in their base lines.

I still blame Botanicare for alot of this CalMag craze. Their PBP line got real popular with weed growers because of the magical organic stuff (although not pure organo, like 99%) and being able to use it in hydro. No choice, especially with RO, but to use CalMag because their baseline nutes are way low. I really dislike Botanicare shit. Welcome to the world of micro defeciencies and N toxicities. They come out with shit like Sweet because their line is way too low on Mg. Here, buy this because our shit sucks for growing dope.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think it was seamaiden that made the point about CoCo too. CalMag definitely gained popularity with that group. I know some brands of CoCo required that you first flush them with Clearex or what Sputnik recommended to get rid of the salts and then a soaking in a solution of CalMag. The whole cation exchange and some 'o dat sceinmatific type shit.

That always sounded like too much damn work to me.
I think it was me, yes. But I think it might also help to outline that I was very, very resistant to changing how I usually do things when I made the foray into coco growing. See, I figured I know my water fairly well. It's quite hard, has a high carbonate hardness level, a high general hardness level, and so if it's already there, why filter it out to then replace it with a purchased product? So I did a whole grow mixing water that had been filtered with a deionization unit with our tap water (comes from a deep well, no treatment other than filtration) and I had some weird problems as well as had to use LOADS of pH down.

Long story shortened, it just didn't work well. I was forced, quite literally, by the pudding, to do what the experienced growers had been telling me I was going to have to do--filter via reverse osmosis and add back calcium and magnesium. Despite the added work, the grow is looking much, much better and, this is key, the product is looking like it's gonna be top shelf meds.

So there you have it. My story and why I talk about Cal-Mag in coco.

Top Bottom