calculating grams per watt

• Thread starter gudkarma
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

gudkarma

if i use a 600w light for 6 weeks then finish the last two weeks under a 400w light, how should i go about calculating gpw?

i'm moving pants from table to table in an ebb & flow set up...

i like to keep track of my progress and efficiency.

a little guidance would be appreciated.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
that sounds like a really bad idea

75% of weight with the 600 25% with the 400

again Ill say this is a really bad idea - if anything you should be going up - not down

the last 2 weeks on an 8 week strain are the most important

S

Steve Z

i would use the 400 side first then finish off with the 600

B

Bobby Smith

(600 * (6/8)) + (400 * (2/8)) = 550 watts to use in the denominator.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
hehe look at the brain on bobby

B

Bobby Smith

I'm here for all of The Farm's mathematical and statistical needs.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
i suck at math - lol

Ill keep that in mind!

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I can do math depending on what I'm smoking..now getting the answer out for anyone else is another matter all of its own...lol

W

weedfarm

I agree, downsizing the light is a bad idea.

And really GPW is such an inaccurate way to measure yield. It may be ok for your garden but do use it to compare to other gardens. Veg time, and so many other factors go into final yield, that gpw just doesn't compare different gardens

G

gudkarma

generally, i'd rather look through the archives.

nevertheless, i needed some specific info... which i got.

i will always love how those of you who regurgitate bullshit you read on the web, & re-hash shit you've read in forums, offer up advice.

did i ask for opinion on my light set up?

who said i was comparing my garden to your "garden" ?

* brand new lab , first run , SOG (lillipops) ...using the light set up i noted is giving me 8oz of dry dank (in this case Sour D) from 24 cuts... every three weeks.

.4 grams per watt

i can do better for sure.

before i built my new lab and changed my grow style, i was in the .7 gpw range.

too, for all you opinated "farmers", is par from a 600w light at 18" from the canopy the same as par from a 400w light at 6 inches?

you have been reading up on lighting right?

semi respectfully, i wanted a mathematical answer... not your fu*king opinion on what i should do with my light set up, your thoughts about gpw & its correlation to measuring yeild, or anything else.

i appreciate input when directed properly & i respect all remotely valid answers.

also, get a clue, it's not like the lights are fixed.

i, unlike many of you and because my space is large enough, will experiment & find out what works for me.

9 mother plants producing cuts that give me 8 oz every three weeks ...of super dank ...for one person.

i, and this FAT bowl of smokables next to my keyboard, would call my new opperation a straight up success.

motherload ===> duely noted ====> there is room for optimization.

** bobby smith : thanks again for the hook up !!! : making great use of all those goodies!

OCTober 022
B

Bobby Smith

Yeah bro, lemme see a pic or two of them in action - I assume you got the fossilized leaves off of the tray? :)

FYI, might have another shipment for you soon - thinking of converting everything in my room over to aero, which means I'd have another 2x4 for you and another 50ish gallons of hydroton - also, there's still that 4x4 table if you want it and a shitload of pumps and other miscellaneous shit - I'll take a full inventory in a few weeks when I'll (hopefully) finally be done with this buildout.

M

mdTHC420

too, for all you opinated "farmers", is par from a 600w light at 18" from the canopy the same as par from a 400w light at 6 inches?

just look at the f'in #s then if u want a mathematical solution. you shrink your foot print by dropping the light and wattage. just numbers, not the right ones, but will make the point. lets just say that you loose 10% light intensity every 6 inches (despite a 400 at 6 inches really doesn't have that large a foot print, prolly 2/3 what the 600 would have at the same height but once u raise the 600 it is about 2 times larger.) now back to the light loss. 10% x (18 / 6) x 600= 180 watts lost. 10% x (6/6) x 400 = 40 watts lost. now with those losses bumps the 600 --> 420 and your 400 -->360. frankly to up you gpw you would be better off with the larger canopy under the 600 with ventilation so you can drop it 8-12 inches over the tops.

now that above is assuming the light looses intensity at a constant over 6 inches, that is an assumption that light doesnt slow down faster after it travels for a short ammount, u can correct if you actually know.

G

gudkarma

Yeah bro, lemme see a pic or two of them in action - I assume you got the fossilized leaves off of the tray? :)

FYI, might have another shipment for you soon - thinking of converting everything in my room over to aero, which means I'd have another 2x4 for you and another 50ish gallons of hydroton - also, there's still that 4x4 table if you want it and a shitload of pumps and other miscellaneous shit - I'll take a full inventory in a few weeks when I'll (hopefully) finally be done with this buildout.

i'm gonna do a lab pic & post up kinda thing soon.

i'm still fine tuning & tighten up the space.

of course, i'll take & USE anything!

when you're ready just let me know.

you know that i know that you know that you know that i know kinda thing :-)

honestly, sincerely, and gratefully, i used everything you gave me!

hoses & some little stuff aside.

i got cuts for you whenever you want... if you need or desire it, anything i got is yours.

if not today... if not next time ...you say when ...and i'll still come out your way.

jackberry, sour d, afghan kush, kaya47, og kush, & great white... right now.

gonna pop some bubba kush x deep chunk (cannacopia) soon.

google image the above cross. yummy.

~karma

G

gudkarma

just look at the f'in #s then if u want a mathematical solution. you shrink your foot print by dropping the light and wattage. just numbers, not the right ones, but will make the point. lets just say that you loose 10% light intensity every 6 inches (despite a 400 at 6 inches really doesn't have that large a foot print, prolly 2/3 what the 600 would have at the same height but once u raise the 600 it is about 2 times larger.) now back to the light loss. 10% x (18 / 6) x 600= 180 watts lost. 10% x (6/6) x 400 = 40 watts lost. now with those losses bumps the 600 --> 420 and your 400 -->360. frankly to up you gpw you would be better off with the larger canopy under the 600 with ventilation so you can drop it 8-12 inches over the tops.

now that above is assuming the light looses intensity at a constant over 6 inches, that is an assumption that light doesnt slow down faster after it travels for a short ammount, u can correct if you actually know.

now that's info i can use.

if i combine your awesome data with bobby's formula, it turns my first run in a brand new lab, i'm still tweaking, into (in my own grow world) a run of legend.

my calculation shows .995 grams per watt.

i'm a smart guy & i, cause the farm has plenty o' guys/girls that do it so damn righteous, like to stay humble ...so i'm gonna say the jury is definitely out on my light situation.

more data.
hence the need for something ...like gram to watt formula.

i'll post up a grow lab build thing for sure.

cause i work with my hands, i dont find the actual build out special.

the fact that it's in a detached garage & i have climate control... now that gives me a total boner!

let's dish.

i'd like to think my observations & experience led me to believe that finishing (in my size tray, the way i do what i do prior, etc) w/ a 400w light is fine.

let's not forget how important a role genetics plays in yeild... but that's another discussion.

to me, it's about SOG from cuts ...i don't really care nor want to hear about how you grow trees ..i dont even look at posts or forums like that.

im definitely about smokin trees though. :RastaBong:

i did see some post by "kid twist" (i think) of these fucking gigantic outdoor bushes that gave me serious wood in my pants... but that's rare. fat chicks dont turn me on like dat.

skinny whores is my style.

a few more runs my way & i'll switch to finish with the 6oo (tested on the same cuts/strain, same nutes & schedules)

we'll see & i'll dish.

~karma

B

Bobby Smith

Appreciate the offer - I'll be in touch via PM when I get some things sorted out.

Also, agree with you that science is useful, but there's no substitute for real world experience - no one's room/grow is the same, so what works for someone else might not work for you (and vice versa).

And the buildout is the "exciting" part for me - been growing weed since I was 19, only learned how to use power tools in the last year :)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
wow - well i gave you a mathematical answer and an opinion - sorry

I do not read shit and spew out the same shit

I have been growing indoors since 84 and have used every fucking light made with the exception of 1500 watters

I will stay out of your threads from here on out!

Peace

J

John Smith Esq.

generally, i'd rather look through the archives.

nevertheless, i needed some specific info... which i got.

i will always love how those of you who regurgitate bullshit you read on the web, & re-hash shit you've read in forums, offer up advice.

did i ask for opinion on my light set up?

who said i was comparing my garden to your "garden" ?

* brand new lab , first run , SOG (lillipops) ...using the light set up i noted is giving me 8oz of dry dank (in this case Sour D) from 24 cuts... every three weeks.

.4 grams per watt

i can do better for sure.

before i built my new lab and changed my grow style, i was in the .7 gpw range.

you have been reading up on lighting right?

semi respectfully, i wanted a mathematical answer... not your fu*king opinion on what i should do with my light set up, your thoughts about gpw & its correlation to measuring yeild, or anything else.

i appreciate input when directed properly & i respect all remotely valid answers.

also, get a clue, it's not like the lights are fixed.

i, unlike many of you and because my space is large enough, will experiment & find out what works for me.

9 mother plants producing cuts that give me 8 oz every three weeks ...of super dank ...for one person.

i, and this FAT bowl of smokables next to my keyboard, would call my new opperation a straight up success.

motherload ===> duely noted ====> there is room for optimization.

** bobby smith : thanks again for the hook up !!! : making great use of all those goodies!

@ the picture...lmfao.

G

gudkarma

wow - well i gave you a mathematical answer and an opinion - sorry

I do not read shit and spew out the same shit

I have been growing indoors since 84 and have used every fucking light made with the exception of 1500 watters

I will stay out of your threads from here on out!

Peace

huh?

i wasn't even going there with you... dude, ahhhhhhh, im taking your advice. it's a logical step too.

i mean, we all know the common consenses regarding more light is better.

i'd like to add something different to the body of knowledge... for the less available on the watts & amps guy/girls.

shit, bobby got (had, actually) (has, now) no hand skills & did a build out... his experiences adds to the community.

love it.
read about it.
hardly post there cause his shit is captin spock to me.

to the point at hand :

what about finishing with less light drop in a little gravity (not that i'd use that shit) ?

what about 1000w in a form of a 600 on a mover & a seperate 400 on yo-yos (like im doing) ?

i want to try the 600 on a mover with yo-yos... for easy adjustability.

anybody try it?

my 400w is a cool tube... i keep reading you can't put them on a mover.

is that right?

i didn't want to make a thread about putting a cool tube on a mover... cause i could just do that myself for shits & giggles.

i want to fine tune.

if i'm producing .9 grams per watt (which cant be right) , why change anything & not just tweak.

let me compile data, produce it, and let ya'll have at it.

besides, i just cant (and never will) run trays upon trays of the same thing.

smokey needs variety.

still... the data needs to be consistent.
and... i need to fine tune my lab
lastly...

respect.

L

Lost

Light movers = bad idea.

Are you trying to see how good of a GPW you are averaging, or do you have a weight gol. I always go by weight goal. GPW is fine for 1 light, but after that, its kinda meaningless. If I want 3 pounds, i want 3 pounds. Thats the goal, so what di I need to accomplish this?

I guess Ilike working the problem out backwards.

Also, for the 600vs 1000, they are 2 very different lights, with different strongpoints. Very much depends on how you are growing to suggest whats better. If you scrog, then 2 600's. If you grow vert or whatever, you may wish to look at 1000's. The btu difference is not 2x so thts something to consider as well..

Latest posts

Top Bottom