calculating grams per watt

• Thread starter gudkarma
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
hmmm well shit man - thought that was directed at me - feel like shit (fucking cold) and Im a crabby bitch today

peace

G

gudkarma

i use gpw to determine in my non-horticultural, non botanical, sense that i am doing the do right.... i use it to determine if my yeild is consistent... stuff like that.

gpw is an important number to me only with respect to the "health" (not the right word but you get my meaning?) of my set up & process.

light mover + rectangular space = good idea

ive only got 25 to 27a (30a actual) to play with... i built my set up on 15a & then expended right before the bobby incident.

he helped to broaden my herbal horizons so to speak.

now, i'm a whore for SOG & ebb & flow.

will say, i'd love to debunk some of the shit i see on the web about small set-ups, light movers, and such.

with three tables, mothers, cuts, equipment, my shit aint small.

but, i rock a light mover & love it.

i'm not tryin to be right or expend the energy to do so ...as much as i'd like to optimize what i have.

B

Bobby Smith

It really comes down to your process:

Do you start with a goal in mind and work backwards or do you start with a setup in mind and see what you can get from it.

Neither is more right/wrong than the other, it just depends on a grower's personal utility (in the economic sense, not in the electrical sense).

And yeah GK, E&F in hydroton is BY FAR my favorite way to grow - almost hassle free (i.e., you've pretty much got to try to fuck it up).

G

gudkarma

do you start with a setup in mind and see what you can get from it.

exactly.

i buy an old car, use it as a platform, & do my magic from there.

i find an old piece of furniture & pimp it maximus.

i got a 9x10x8 for space with three tables and two lights & one mover for flower (600w & a 400w) how can i maximize from nutes to electric use... but maximus style... in keeping to my goal of 1 gpw.

i use 550w for the moms... 6 amps ...period. i could reduce that but at a cost of t5s. why. my moms could give me cuts with back up cuts and one other person needing 40 every other week no problem. love it.

thinking i could down size there but at cost to variety.

i dont want to keep giving good $ to the beast for more lights, better this, and all that. i'm into buying back up shit... and fucking with beans now ...so that tells you i'm not changing anything major.

thought i'd say goodbye to dirt but i keep moms... fuck dwc though ...too much work for me.

i can, however, get a gram per watt out of my lovely new set up... and be stoked like a motherfucker. way less work.

actually, my current tampon issue, i am pissed that my local hodyro store owner was saying to me with shit in my hands (that i unfortunately needed)i'm not a "real" OG grower ...two times now.

i order everythign online. so i've been crabby.

to ease my conscious for holding enough plant material to catch a mandatory minimum, i'd like to think that according to the "internet standard" of 1 gpw & using the math i outlined in this thread, i got my shit down pat.

pics to follow by the new year.

much love farmers.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
why would a hydro store guy try and break you down instead of build you up?

what an idiot!

some people have no business sense

fuck yeah bro buy your shit online if you can! I do, unless I gotta have it today

B

Bobby Smith

why would a hydro store guy try and break you down instead of build you up?

what an idiot!

some people have no business sense

fuck yeah bro buy your shit online if you can! I do, unless I gotta have it today

Motherlode, if I was legal I'd do that and then ask the UPS guy if he wanted to puff one down real quick :RastaBong:........I did that (ordered online) before, now I'm staying the fuck away from that - cash tell no tales and leaves no trails...........and that's all I have to say about that.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
word BS - thats why I say if you can - Im a legal beagle in cali so I dont trip on online orders

It did take me awhile befdore I was comfortable buying grow supplies with a cc however even though Im legal

B

Bobby Smith

GK, as long as this thread is kinda off-topic, I hope you don't mind me asking this real quick and idiotic question.........

When you setup a float valve on the "good water" (the blue line on my Stealth R/O, and the black line is the waste water) reservoir and it shuts off the blue line (when full, obviously), does that also shut down the black line? I'm almost certain it does, just wanted to make sure........debating taking my unit out of storage and using it......

G

gudkarma

no... i dont mind off topic.

idiotic? never.

my first r/o set up should be here by next week. because i keep fish and am having a continual cal/mg defficiency, i picked up a small r/o set up on flee bay two days ago.

...had been reading so many threads extolling the virtues of r/o systems, how they help eliminate water related issues, & how they are one of the best pieces of equipment a grower can buy.

trying to visualize your question, how could one float (simple float set up) control two lines?

i'd say no water in... no water out... but the float should control only the "line" (rezzy) on which it's installed.

shutting off the intake when full stops the waste (black line) by proxy.

B

Bobby Smith

Funny, I was ready to give you my Stealth R/O because after flooding my garage twice when forgetting to turn it off I thought I'd never use it again, but now that I'm a float valve master (put in my first one yesterday and of course put it in upside down) I'm ready to bring it out of storage.

I hope you're wrong about that, but hopefully someone else could chime in.........would love to leave my water always on to top off the reservoir when needed, but I guess it's not that big of a deal to turn it off when I don't need any more.

Thanks for getting back to me, appreciate it.

P.S. - attached is a pic for anyone as stupid as me - make sure your float valve is the opposite of what that looks like...........:party0022:

12210 015
G

gudkarma

i had been doing a hand painted wall paper project for a designer that contracts my company.

to do the basic (repeated) pattern ("outline") we use stencils. anal retentive & into perfection, i feel, the stencils need to be cleaned every day.

i like to soak them in the tub for a couple hours each night as the layers of paint are thick & tuff to remove (w/o destroying the hand made stencil) after an entire day of work.

see where this is going?

stencils in the tub, couple (okay more than a couple) bongs hit of sour d, & lots of water rushing out the bottom of the bathroom door from the tub over-flowing.

i still clean stencils the same way... just do those bong hits AFTER everything is tight.

i love those super-totes you are using... i have three as rezzys myself.

still, as a simple shut off, i can't see how one float can control two lines... one that intakes (clean water rez) ...and one that exits (waste water rez).

the r/o unit i bought appears to have one line in (from sink) & one line out (to bucket).

then again, i'm far from perfect.

B

Bobby Smith

Yeah, I was thinking (more like hoping) that there's something internal within the actual R/O unit that shuts off the intake water if the "blue" (clean line) is not allowing water through, which would then mean that the waste water would stop as well.

Probably not though, unfortunately..........and one time I was high, the other time I had hit myself in the head with a hammer (very, very not handy with tools) and gave myself a concussion and forgot about the water running.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
there should be an auto valve that shuts off the water when the blue valve is off

on mine the waste water runs for another 10 seconds or so after the float closes and then shuts off

B

Bobby Smith

Score one for the good guys :)

Thanks ML, tried to rep you but it wouldn't let me............sweetness, I'm gonna be the top-off master.

F

f1ydave

I hope you're wrong about that, but hopefully someone else could chime in.........would love to leave my water always on to top off the reservoir when needed, but I guess it's not that big of a deal to turn it off when I don't need any more.

Thanks for getting back to me, appreciate it.

P.S. - attached is a pic for anyone as stupid as me - make sure your float valve is the opposite of what that looks like...........:party0022:

That is funny as hell! With a float valve you do not need to turn the RO off, defeats the purpose.

Yeah, I was thinking (more like hoping) that there's something internal within the actual R/O unit that shuts off the intake water if the "blue" (clean line) is not allowing water through, which would then mean that the waste water would stop as well.

Probably not though, unfortunately..........and one time I was high, the other time I had hit myself in the head with a hammer (very, very not handy with tools) and gave myself a concussion and forgot about the water running.

I don't mean to laugh at you, but that is hilarious too. Not the concussion part. Good to hear you survived your hammer incident.

The waste water only drains when the RO water is needed.

Karma can you be more specific on what you are trying to accomplish?

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
what RO unit did you buy karma? if its a true RO it should have a waste water line as well - I used a whirlpool 2 stage for years that only had a line in and a line out - no waste water line

G

gudkarma

Karma can you be more specific on what you are trying to accomplish?

i'm tryin to :

1) make sure i produce similar results each run
2) grow as much as possible with the lights i have
3) make sure i stay knee deep in dank buds (highest priority, pun intended)

i need to get more runs down before i can make any assessment. there's tweaking to do. i'm gonna try to do things my way for a minute.

i want to take pics, grow lab journal up, and fine tune based on responses.

my physical space is tight, insulated, set up smart, and all that.

more runs. then pics. then journal. hopefully some constructive criticism can help me fine tune.

motherload : i bough this one : be here tomorrow.

i have a 35 gal black storage rez (w. air stone inside) waiting to store water in my garage... once i get it filled i can just keep it topped off ...i want the r/o for the lab but the storage rez actually enhances my security since i am away from the house & running water.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yeah bro that has an in and out and a waste water - I see three open connectors in the pix

G

gudkarma

cool. i didn't know that. always learning. i have two filters (20" sediment) filters on my house main. never used an r/o machine before.

cant be as difficult as american muscle car engines in euro cars.

it comes with instrustions :bubblez:

on my gram per watt & light situation...

i have these lights : 2 @ 250 : 1 @ 600 : 1 @ 400 : 1 @ 150

i have a light mover.

wondering if i could keep 6 to 8 mothers "doing nice" with a 250w MH on a mover?

using lost's way of doing things (i want "x" and what do i need to do to get "x") , maybe my set up would be more effective with a light (or 2) over each tray in series (250, 400, 600).

i cant see how that would produce better results than what i am doing now, but it's logical and worth a try.

M

mdTHC420

i have these lights : 2 @ 250 : 1 @ 600 : 1 @ 400 : 1 @ 150

i have a light mover.

how long is your you light mover track and how large are the mothers?

basically i would say a 4-6 foot mover would cut the watts per foot in half so that 250 i think u said would be a 125 equivalent. so this would prob be enough to keep a small bunch of mothers going decently enough.

then if your doing 2 tables then pair the 600 w the 150 on one and the 400 w the 250 on the other.

hope that helps on that and post some more info with what ur doin...

Top Bottom