Cali water shortage, What`s at stake for MMJ ?

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
trippinballz

trippinballz

It's like RoundUp poisoning us all and the nicotine based chems that are killing off the bee colonies... we in 'merica" WAIT to see the DAMAGE before we pull our heads out of our extremely fat ass. Nobody cares until it's THEIR water that is fucked. Short-sighted is the American way!

So while the water contamination is yet to be evident en masse'...we can see the damage done to the ecosystems out here in the West. Roads >everywhere< where there were no roads anywhere previously. Trenches/pipelines as well. It's insane. Google Earth tells all.

Sadly...once the profit is gone...the oil co's will simply walk away...leaving the damage they created for perpetuity. It happened in the 80's here...gonna happen again....except this go around the economy held out long enough for them to have done far more damage than ever before.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

IMO the use of roundup vs fracking is a whole different ball game. They have proven that roundup is now in every water way, in every part of the world. It's in our creeks, rivers, rainfall and ice deposits in 100% of the planet. Roundup is more on the level of DDT and lead in our petrolatum. Devastating effects on the future of our planet.

This also goes to what SeaMaiden was saying about how one would prove poison from fracking. Monsanto hides any evidence of this, and spends hundreds of millions of dollars fighting in courts around the world to keep it secret. I have talked with one person that has spoke in front of the UN about this very problem, and had scientific proof that is undeniable. Some countries have banned the GMO foods which make spraying roundup possible. Some countries have had countless farmers commit suicide because of the devastating effects roundup treated crops had on their soil fertility. With all this evidence, you can still buy roundup at Homedepot.....WTF. Even though you are suppose to carry a licence to use Roundup.......

So I see your point for sure SeaMaiden, thanks for the comments and the other side of the arguments perspective. That's how I learn.

trippinballz

trippinballz

Different game....but it's the same contamination of nature. Just as nobody gave thought to RoundUp's cross-contaminations....we are playing the same kind of Russian Roulette with the "proprietary" fluids used in fracking.

There's a reason they aren't telling us what is in it. o_O

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Different game....but it's the same contamination of nature. Just as nobody gave thought to RoundUp's cross-contaminations....we are playing the same kind of Russian Roulette with the "proprietary" fluids used in fracking.

There's a reason they aren't telling us what is in it. o_O
Oh, ya think? :p Also, any of those frackers happen to be NIMBYs? I bet they are. :)
IMO the use of roundup vs fracking is a whole different ball game. They have proven that roundup is now in every water way, in every part of the world. It's in our creeks, rivers, rainfall and ice deposits in 100% of the planet. Roundup is more on the level of DDT and lead in our petrolatum. Devastating effects on the future of our planet.
Yeah, they've done it after the fact. And, since I know you're reading Acres, then you're also aware that glyphosate no longer works and that we're getting a whole new generation of "stacked trait" GM crops. And I believe you already know what chemical they've stacked resistance to. But, have you gone and read what the EPA now has to say about Agent Orange?

There's science, there's truth, and then there's politics and regulation. We in the US do everything ass backwards. I can tell you about our egg handling methods and laws as compared to the EU, for example. It's just insane.

But what I'm really failing to grasp here is how one can logically say that the issues we have with fracking are different from those we have with these other chemicals.
This also goes to what SeaMaiden was saying about how one would prove poison from fracking. Monsanto hides any evidence of this, and spends hundreds of millions of dollars fighting in courts around the world to keep it secret. I have talked with one person that has spoke in front of the UN about this very problem, and had scientific proof that is undeniable. Some countries have banned the GMO foods which make spraying roundup possible. Some countries have had countless farmers commit suicide because of the devastating effects roundup treated crops had on their soil fertility. With all this evidence, you can still buy roundup at Homedepot.....WTF. Even though you are suppose to carry a licence to use Roundup.......

So I see your point for sure SeaMaiden, thanks for the comments and the other side of the arguments perspective. That's how I learn.
Thank you! You want to learn more about fracking, truly. As for the glyphosate, you only need a permit to apply certain concentrations. ;)

Here's a fascinating little factoid, got it from my Facebook news feed. Did you know that only 55% of the world's croplands grow food directly consumed by humans, and that in the US it's only 27% of the croplands? Yet the reason being given MOST often for the "need" for GM crops is that we can't feed the world without them. I call bullshit. Utter, complete, and total bullshit.

Now, do we really "need" fracking? No. We can move to other energy sources and profiles. Sure, it'll take subsidies, but who the fuck cares about that really? We don't care that animal feed is subsidized. (I could go on and belabor this point, but it'd get far too political.)

The bottom line is this--we cannot drink money, nor can we live on it. Once we fuck our water, we're really fucked. The idea that we have plenty of water was debated years ago, the drought put all that to rest. It only took three years to get to this point, too.

Oh! I found another disturbing map, again via Facebook, that allows us to see how many pounds of pesticides (that's reported) are being used on a county-by-county basis. Gotta see if I can find that one. All that shit runs off into our waters, too.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Another good post SeaMaiden. I like that statistics you gave about food we actually eat, and how much goes to energy. Staggering really. However I hate when people post things from Facebook. When I spend the time, 95% of the time facebook posts are bullshit. Because I have wasted so much time fact checking facebook, I never take anything posted on facebook as fact. However I have read similar statistics before, so this time facebook may have been right.

Little off topic, but does anybody think it's strange we don't have salt water purification plants yet? Seems like simple technology compared to what humans have accomplished. Seems like it would help solve the worlds water problems as well. It's also a much larger volume of water, so it "should" be less contaminated.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Another good post SeaMaiden. I like that statistics you gave about food we actually eat, and how much goes to energy. Staggering really. However I hate when people post things from Facebook. When I spend the time, 95% of the time facebook posts are bullshit. Because I have wasted so much time fact checking facebook, I never take anything posted on facebook as fact. However I have read similar statistics before, so this time facebook may have been right.
I think you are misunderstanding social media and its effects and impacts on human behavior. Facebook doesn't hide facts, Facebook doesn't make them up. It's the people using Facebook that's a problem, and the problem you see is a problem I've seen since I started working in the printing industry 30 years ago. If people see it in print, they believe it. Facebook doesn't have a hold on bullshit, nor does "it" have the BS market cornered. Pick any other form of media and you'll find the exact same problem. Btw, I do the same thing and if I find something's wrong, I post it right there. Guess what, though. I find the exact same problem on Pinterest--people reposting shit that's untrue. But I still use it to keep my pins/notes.

I do my best to take the time to read an article that I've posted. The majority of my own posts are coming from news outlets. The factoid I mentioned came from NPR, another media outlet. Some of them are coming from Archaeology Magazine (cuz I really love archaeology). Some are coming from the ACLU. Some are coming from science publications. Checking veracity is something everyone should do with everything they read, but they don't. Why? Because, if people see it in print they think it's true. Facebook itself isn't some evil entity that's so different from any thing or any one else on the internets. It's about advertising and marketing, that's really it. Because that's what drives the bottom line.

95% of the Facebook posts I see from people are what I call 'feel good' memes. Are they true? Well, if they're true for you, of course they are. They're often misspelled or use horrid grammar, that bothers me as much as bad fact-checking. All you've gotta do is what you're doing--check veracity. :)
Little off topic, but does anybody think it's strange we don't have salt water purification plants yet? Seems like simple technology compared to what humans have accomplished. Seems like it would help solve the worlds water problems as well. It's also a much larger volume of water, so it "should" be less contaminated.
You mean RO? What do we do with the brine? I mean, yeah, we probably can. My question is whether or not we should. If we're gonna do that, then I say let's go with the geoengineering that will make clouds more reflective, or readier to drop rain.

It very well may become necessary to begin doing this on larger and larger scale, but it's a rather backward way of doing things IMO.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Great post after great post seamaiden. I put all the social media in one group, pintrest, Facebook, ext. I find them to be worse than normal print or media because they can say what they want with zero repercussions. At least a media outlet can fire their employees. However the main stream media spreads just as much misinformation. Hope everybody has a nice Christmas.

B

barefoot

so if/when saltwater plants do become reality..........considering the dynamics.....what happens to the planet when ones extracts endless ocean water for human consumption.....

the END..........................

ganj on.................

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

lol barefoot. Ya, nobody will be able to figure out how to re-salt the ocean. The end.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I am now dumber for listening to an Al Jazerra report.........

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Very good, thank you for sharing that. One of the few media outlets that still does actual journalism.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

I know sarcasm is hard to understand over the internet, but did you just say news and Al Jazerra and the daily show in the same sentence? May I suggest TheBlaze.com

If actual journalism is hiding Osama Bin Laden, then I guess so...... How is there ratings doing these days? (sarcasm) lol:D

B

B1GWYRM

There's only 6 media companies that own all forms of media in the usa..... So when big business controls the narrative of things like "is fracking safe" I'd be very afraid of what the government propagandist have to say...the cia says on there own website they have liaisons in various positions throughout the media industry...hmm Vanderbilt decended Anderson cooper interning at the CIA isn't weird or suspicious...believe whatever you want but please try and CONSIDER THE SOURCE and follow the money...do your own research and be afraid of privately funded "scientific research journals" half of them are set up to print all there one sided research findings( does anyone remember the pseudo scientists they rolled out back in the day for big tobacco )...it's crazy how many fake research journals are out there essentially putting out positive PR ...sorry if I rub anyone the wrong way

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

B1gwyrm - Couldn't agree more. TheBlaze is not one of those 6 companies, and focuses on the truth. Lost cause I know, but I find them to be accurate. Right leaning or libertarian leaning, but accurate. I don't mind if the news has a left or right bias, as long as they tell the truth in their reporting.

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

Been doing a little more research on fracking, and I am not sold it's dangerous yet. I am sold it can be done wrong and cause problems, but it seems the majority of fracking has been safe for over a hundred years now. Not sure if anybody else knew that, but yea, been happening for over a hundred years now. Here is a great story/interview from the blaze.com.

Another thing this guy mentioned is, when fracking on a fault line, if earthquakes are caused by fracking, is that even a bad thing? We all fear the big quake, and those happen when too much pressure is put on earths plates. If fracking releases that pressure through minor earthquakes then isn't that a good thing? The one thing I can't figure out is whether or not fracking is poisoning ground water. Just some more information for those who are interested.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do you think there may be such a thing as bad science? How about publication bias?

http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_battling_bad_science?language=en

Here's Goldacre's talk on publication bias. It's not unique to any particular area of study, and frankly, it's frightening (and gives me LOTS more to argue with doctors!).
http://www.ted.com/talks/ben_goldacre_what_doctors_don_t_know_about_the_drugs_they_prescribe

I know this is Huffington Post, but they generally try to verify stories before publishing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-reese-halter/fracking-poisons-californ_b_5986758.html

Read the paragraph that qualifies what's actually been found.

Perhaps Scientific American is a better source, eh?
http://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ter-wells-poisoning-ground-beneath-our-feeth/

Bulldog11

Bulldog11

You kind of made my point for me. When a company is found to illegally dump, then that's illegal. In other words, it's against how fracking should be done, and shouldn't be used as an example of the entire industry. Just like any other business, waste should be taken care of properly.

As far as bias, I was just bringing up another point of view. Take if for what you want. BTW, some would say TED talks can be bias as well. Thanks for the links.:)

@shegrowsbig I am developing a plan for collecting rain water. I hope I get it implemented before the wet season is completely over. I do have garbage cans collecting water but that is only 100gal at a time. How about you? What's your system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom