California introduces bill to legalize pot

• Thread starter Highlander
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Highlander

Speaking at a landmark press conference today, California Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco) introduced comprehensive legislation to tax and regulate the commercial production and sale of cannabis in a manner similar to alcohol.

“With the state in the midst of an historic economic crisis, the move towards regulating and taxing marijuana is simply common sense. This legislation would generate much needed revenue for the state, restrict access to only those over 21, end the environmental damage to our public lands from illicit crops, and improve public safety by redirecting law enforcement efforts to more serious crimes”, Assemblyman Ammiano said. “California has the opportunity to be the first state in the nation to enact a smart, responsible public policy for the control and regulation of marijuana.”

The proposal is the first marijuana legalization bill ever introduced in California.

“It’s time for California taxpayers to stop wasting money trying to enforce marijuana prohibition, and to realize the tax benefits from a legal, regulated market instead,” said Dale Gieringer, director of California NORML, a sponsor of the bill.

As introduced, Ammiano’s measure would allow for the licensed production and sale of cannabis to consumers age 21 and over. Licensed cultivators would pay an excise tax of $50 per ounce of cannabis. In addition, the proposal would impose a sales tax on commercial sales. (Ammiano’s proposal would not affect the state’s medical marijuana law, allowing patients and caregivers to grow their own medicine.)

If enacted, the measure would raise over $1 billion per year in state revenue, according to an economic analysis by California NORML, available online here.

Ammiano’s bill comes at a time of growing public support for legalizing marijuana. A recent Zogby poll reported that nearly six in ten west coast voters support taxing and regulating marijuana like alcohol.

Faced with a $40 billion budget deficit, other public officials have joined in endorsing Ammiano’s bill, including San Francisco Sheriff Mike Hennessy and Betty Yee, a member of the State Board of Equalization, which oversees collection of sales taxes.

Currently, tens of millions of dollars are paid annually in state and local taxes by licensed distributors of medical marijuana. However, these sales only represent a fraction of the overall statewide marijuana market. “The millions of dollars raised each year on the sales of medicinal cannabis is only the tip of the iceberg,” Gieringer said. “Kudos to Assemblyman Ammiano for proposing a path-breaking bill that would benefit our economy, safety and freedom by making marijuana a winning proposition for California.”

A

akaKGB

hmmmm...what took them so long to figure this out rofl.....well its a start...pretty soon California is gonna look like the cover of the Kottonmouth Kings new album YaY....First state in the world practically to legalize and tax marijuana...keep cali green....KGB

G

greyfx

WOW. I actually believe cannabis will be legalized in the next 4 years all states except texas lol.

Greyskull

Greyskull

see this is why we pay the top taxes....

I wanna see them pass this and then I am getting a wharehouse and putting up 50-100 lights. already talked with my business attorney... i am chomping at the bit.

D

dna genetics

you know what this means!

see you all very soon :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG9MBXHBtE4[/YOUTUBE]

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I'll have a space next door to ya GS:rasta:

H

Highlander

I already started looking at warehouses for rent on craiglists!! how do you think this will effect the market? do you think prices will drop? and if so how much?

Greyskull

Greyskull

I don;t think the price will drop - I think it will stay the same, but increase a touch to compensate for the taxation. Thats fine. Think of how much better the buds are gonna be when we can freely produce and breed on commercial scales?
....soley dependant upon the grower, of course....

i would imagine the flowers are to be sold wholesale and then the suggested retail price will be such as to discourage re-sale on the black market. fine with me.

hey zoo we'll have the shit rocking for sure man.

K

kill-9

Never gonna get passed. There has been bills to decriminalize marijuana and they didnt pass that. Legalization? yeah right. I am hopeful that it gets passed but Im not holding my breath.

S

SenorMota

It looks like the stars may be aligned...

or the Fed's could just hold Highway funding as Blackmail to prevent it happening like they did in the 80's to force states to raise the drinking age from 18 to 21.

S

SnowCap

I think if it passed I'd open an organic resort spa on some large acreage. Lots of medicine growing in all parts, good for out of state med patients who want to get away from there dreary states. Fingers crossed....

B

boxmunch9

haha i wouldnt sign any leases yet, that shits never gonna pass. too bad thou, actually i dont even want it too, it would take the fun outta it.

K

kill-9

haha i wouldnt sign any leases yet, that shits never gonna pass. too bad thou, actually i dont even want it too, it would take the fun outta it.

It's fun for people getting locked up over a plant? Nah....:fighting0087:

We will see who is true to marijuana and the medical patients after its legalized. If money is your only motivation, then karma will get you.:fubar

It's kind of appalling that people like marijuana because it's illegal? If that's the case, I don't know what to say.

Z

Zoolander

Premium Member
Supporter
I'll grow if it's legal or not , I love growing and always have and always will . $ has never been #1 for my grows so may the force be with us:rasta:

Greyskull

Greyskull

If money is your only motivation, then karma will get you.:fubar

So you're saying growing the good shit for those that cannot as a means to support one's family is to be looked down upon? So I cannot grow plants to pay my kid's health insurance? Or put food on my table using the proceeds of my hard work? Cause that kinda falls under what you are just throwing out there guy. :fubar

I am supposed to go get another 40hr+ per week corporate management position so I can waste another decade making some other chump big $$$ while I have to battle on the corporate pitch for pennies on the dollar? And all the while grow my ass off to give my hard grown flowers away to those that cannot grow? That sounds smart. Really smart.

Am I a bad person for straight out calling that BULLSHIT?
If I am, too fucking bad. Cause this homey don't play that. IMPLYING THAT SHIT IS WEAK SAUCE. Its not my fault the world is the way it is but things cost money where I live. That whole high and mighty thing you have going on doesn't really provide a condusive means of economic support for the good old pot grower (ala ME). I have a family to provide for, and this is the avenue I choose to take to provide for them... so excuse me for not being on the same wave length as you regarding commercial sales.

whether this latest proposal (which no it probably won't pass but goddamn some positive vibes wouldn't hurt once in a while) progresses or not it stills lays down a solid groundwork for utilizing the taxed revenues from cannabis sales to help allieviate the state's deficiet issues.

K

kill-9

There is a difference between a handsome profit and a killing. The people crying that it shouldn't be legalized want their insane profit margins.

and I'm sorry, but if you're one of them, karma's gonna fuck you.

Greyskull

Greyskull

There is a difference between a handsome profit and greed. The people crying that it shouldn't be legalized want a handsome profit.

and I'm sorry, but if you're one of them, karma's gonna fuck you.

well then you probably shouldn't just put out blanket statements like that because it doesn't sit right with me, obviously.

what is the difference between handsome profit and greed? just to clarify things further....

K

kill-9

are we really gonna have to do the accountant shit and list numbers?

move on dude.......legalization will drop the prices, and we'll know who's greedy and who's not, by seeing who still grows.

Greyskull

Greyskull

well you're the one saying handsome profit is okay and greed is bad and those that are greedy are gonna get fucked by karma, right? so I wanna know what handsome profit is since you seem to be the authority. i don't want karma fucking me. it could be rather useful to other members to know what is handsome profit and what is greedy so they are not fucked with by karma, also. thank you.

Top Bottom