California LightWorks "Solarstorm" LED Light

• Thread starter SSHZ
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
convex

convex

I do like the 'one on one' approach George took with you - to me that speaks volumes.

Although I would not want to be the guinea pig, I sure am curious to see how these produce - There must be at least one manufacturer out there that can produce a light suitable for our needs with this new tek

Cheers

S

SSHZ

I agree Con. He seems like a "stand up" guy. He called me and also took the time to put together a long email to answer my questions. He seems to have a lot of confidence in these lights too. With the return program with any purchase, if you are looking at a powerful LED light, these must be considered as one on the top of the list....

convex

convex

i do agree ... a 600w actual usage and marketed as actual output rather than the all too familiar 'equivalent watts'.

Could we be on the cusp of a real side by side comparison?

K11NG

K11NG

I was about to purchase one then backed out after i received the paypal invoice. I ended up picking up a 600w from lighthouse which really seems to be doing some damage but havent been able to see it work alone because it is side by side with my stealthgrows. I think within a few weeks I will be buying another light and I am still interested in the storm, after seeing the time he put into that email. hopefully Ill see some feedback before I get mine.

S

SSHZ

I backed out too........ It just didn't feel right. I figure in 6 months there will be something newer, better, stronger, lighter, cheaper, prettier- well, you get the picture. This technology is progressing quickly now and every couple months something new and maybe better will be available. Sorry George.......

Alter Ego

Alter Ego

OMG! Im so friggin confused now. Iv been searching and searching for the right LED panel for months now and I just cant seem to decide which works/produces and what doesnt. I swear my head is about to explode. Dropping 2 stacks isnt a joke either so one must choose wisely. Im stuck between Pro-Grow LEDs and now...this one.

S

SSHZ

I'd hold off from doing anything until you read multiple "positive" reviews from growers. Do as much research as you can and probably be prepared to be a little disappointed, mainly because LED's just aren't as good for growing as HID's. But they are catching up and getting better every so often. I thing for a small closet grow, they are fine. Anything more, and your yield may suffer.

D

doups3

Just got the SolarStorm in the Mail Today

I just received my SolarStorm in the mail today. After talking with George, I was convinced that it's a legitimate company.

The light is super heavy! It weighs 40 pounds.

Anyways, I'm new to THCFarmer as I spend most of my time on grasscity and rollitup. After I give this light a go I"ll post my findings here too if you want.

I review all the major LED grow lights so I'll have something to compare it to.

Cheers,

Nate

S

SSHZ

I see they are already on sale......that didn't take long. Yes, please let us know when you finish up so we can compare.

S

SSHZ

As I expected, I have already found what I believe is a better LED light. I saw some growers have great success on youtube with BlackDogLED.com- model PLatinum XL. Things I like about these are:

1. Cheaper @$1599

2. Lifetime Warranty. None of this 2-3 year crap. If lights are supposed to last for 10 years, I want a long warranty.

3. Uses all 5W LED's

4. 15 spectrums including IR and UV

5. 60 day return policy

6. 740 actual watts with 288 LED's

7. Only 25 lbs. A lot less than others.

8. 3 spectrum option: veg/flower/mix

9. Bridgelux, Cree, and Epistar LED bulbs

Best I've found yet...... and no, I don't own one nor do I work for the company. Just looking for the best one out there.

ttystikk

ttystikk

In all fairness, I'm posting a response made to me by the owner of the company. As mentioned above, his name is George Mekhtarian and he seems to be a stand up guy. Enclosed is part of the email he sent me today:

"I wanted to follow up on your inquiry re. SolarStorm and the posts on the forum.

I’ve been following the thread on THC farmer with some amusement but recently I’ve noticed the discussion getting off track for all the wrong reasons. We fully expected people to question the merits of our product. There has been plenty of skepticism about LEDs. As you personally experienced with Procyons, LEDs in the past overpromised and under-delivered.

What we did not expect was for people to question the legitimacy of our business. I guess we’re new to online retailing and we’re learning and I welcome your feedback on how we can do a better job.

First, I want to tell you a little about who we are:

My company MWW Inc. has been around for over 13 years. We employ around 20 people at our 10K sq. ft. facility in Canoga Park.

"We have manufactured LED based grow lights for major distributors such as C.A.P. or R&M supply (randmsupply.com) as the original equipment manufacturer (OEM) for over three years. Our product was branded as XtremeLED and is currently sold at major hydroponics stores."

AHA!!! No wonder the 'solar flare' looked suspiciously familiar- it's because they're the same thing as the C.A.P. 130W unit I have! And I'll give you guys a review since I've been running it for awhile now. Don't spend your money. It doesn't produce all that well in flower, especially when compared to HID. And it has this strange tendancy to acceptably grow plants in veg that are perfectly healthy, but if the plants are in any way stressed, this thing will kill them. Dead.

For now, your money is far better spent on HID, and I have high hopes for light emitting plasma technology as it rides the cost curve down and they figure out how to make them better.

M

Michael Dallen

hello, one question .can you show me the picture of 5W LED , I am interested in the LED.We have similar products , and we don't believe that there is one single 5W LED ,there are two LED encapsulation in single one LED which can reach the 5W

S

SSHZ

I went back to the website (www.blackdogled.com) and no where did they have an actual pic of a single LED. They state they are the only company making a "full spectrum" all 5W fixture right now. Maybe, maybe not. Why don't you contact them and see what they say.......and then let us know.

S

spin doc

Doups3 "The light is super heavy! It weighs 40 pounds." I would guess that the EIGHT separate power supplies has a lot to do with the weight. Not sure if running 8 power supplies is a good thing.... guess the fact that if one went on the blink it would not kill the whole unit is good. BUT the added weight and multiplt points of possible failure is a factor.

Don't know much about LEDs but have been looking at this unit and am anxious to see your opinion after using it.

S

spin doc

Michael Dallen I had the same question. I just went to their web sit and read the page on efficiency myths where hey state ... "Compare this to a Black Dog LED. Our lights use actual 3w LEDs and pull up to 2.5 watts per LED bulb" which leads me to believe they are using two 3w LEDs encapsulated in single unit making the single unit capable of reaching the 5W

S

sm0ke_dawg

For 2 stacks I could build my own LED light. From experience I would pass on LEDS that are driven hard. Also sucks to read about the C.A.P and it not being worth the money. I prefer to use LED as supplemental lighting until i find a LED that can flower fine on its own. The one LED that I have seen works wonders is not available for retail. Still wish someone would do a grow with this LED and see what damage (good or bad) it can do.

D

doups3

Working on a writeup/review

Hey Guys,

I'm working on writing up my review of the light (should be done within the week). It's actually a pre-review because I haven't started a grow with it yet (I'm waiting for my current grow with the Penetrator 126X-Pro to finish).

I've tested quite a few LED grow lights, but my tests are always on tomatoes because I'm not licensed to grow marijuana. Of course it would be best if I was growing cannabis, but hopefully my review and tomato grow will offer some insight. If not, oh well :).

Best,

Doups3

B

BudWiser

When you have some data, please provide some feedback on the light - I am in the market also...

Top Bottom