Calling On Gavita Users

• Thread starter jumpincactus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I am considering replacing my 2 1000w air cooled hoods with 3 gavita 600 w setups. Room is 10 x 10 x 10 and my ventilation is utilizing a 720 cfm inline fan pulling thru both hoods and out of the room into the attic.

I have a few concerns and need some direction. I live where the desert heat is brutal and I typically shut down during the height of the summer months as even with the house ac the groom runs too hot. I don't have, nor can I afford supplemental ac.

My 1st question is what is the footprint for 1 gavita reflector? Will only 2 serve me well with my dimensions or should I go with 3?

Another concern is with heat management as I know that the gavitas dont have air cooled reflectors. So I need to figure out 1, if I am going with 2 or 3 lights and then what cfm will I need to be pulling to keep enviros in a good range considering my summer heat issues.

Since I cannot afford ac above what In already spend for the home ac, or should I scrap the gavita idea and stick with my air cooled hoods? Any help is appreciated. Peace

S

Seed Buyer

I would grow an extra plant and use those proceeds to fiance your much needed ac. Or use a credit card to make the purchase and make a few minimum payments until you harvest.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
I would grow an extra plant and use those proceeds to fiance your much needed ac. Or use a credit card to make the purchase and make a few minimum payments until you harvest.
Many dont use ac at all... even on a 100' day. Its all about running at night and air exchange. ..not circulation but the actual air replacement. ... pump n dumps.
The grower i mentioned does a pretty big garden with 1 gavita on a light rail + supplements ultraviolet

Timmyahcomeon

Timmyahcomeon

When I was looking into gavita, I was told that your gonna need about 7,000 btu minimum of ac per 1000 watt gavita. I think it would be a pita to change and keep having heat issues.

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Im in a similar area to you and i think you need AC to do it proper,Might be able to get away with it by not running in summer but you cant count on it,sometimes its 80-90 at christmas,you never know.You would at least need some supplemental,like an 18k window banger or something IMO.I run 6 gavita 6/750s in 1n 12x12x8 in a desert enviro and if i couldnt run AC id definitely stick with air cooled hoods.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Have you thought about using a portable swamp cooler?
Being in the desert with low humidity.
It would be less of an electric draw while effectively cooling and humidifying.

Think of it as an air to water intercooler.

blazer

blazer

Would need large amounts of fresh dry air for evaporative cooler to work proper, and would need to constantly exhaust all the air getting pushed in to giving cooling effect

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Would need large amounts of fresh dry air for evaporative cooler to work proper, and would need to constantly exhaust all the air getting pushed in to giving cooling effect

I agree, and since he already has air cooled lights. If they are pushing the air outside already it would be as simple as adding the evaporative cooler.

If the lights aren't ducted outside It would require a flange installation for ducting outside+evaporative cooler. As well as relocating intake air filter to filter incoming air from outside.

I would position evaporative cooler right next to the incoming air to cool it down quickly as it enters.

blazer

blazer

Probably need a bigger opening than what the hoods were venting swampers push a lot of air usually atleast double a central A/C does, odor would be an issue I would imagine

Just hard to see them working efficiently in a closed room, in green house set up would be more effective

madscrapper

madscrapper

I have the gavita pro flex 750de,basically the home model.dails up to about 825w even though its the 750.had low ceilings so I use a rail that only uses 5w.if I had high ceilings the footprint on these are nuts.intense light.but w the rail I hit different angles and cover a large area. In the summer I run a small stand up ac..but its not running all day.could get away w just good air exchange and fans.fall,winter and spring I suck in outside air w a 3" can fan.working out great.
I love the light.ive bought all kinds of hps,LED's,etc,,but I'm deffinetly happy with the gavita.best light I've had.deffinetly worth buying imo.great par rating..high times did a comparison with all the top lights and the gsvita kicked ass

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
You will absolutely run into more heat issues with 3 open hoods vs 2 closed ones, if you're having heat issues with your lights ducted it will definitely be worse in an open room with an extra hood.
ya thats pretty much what I thought. And I do run lights on in the evening, but to no avail as in the dead of summer here even at 3am the temps are still triple digits

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Have you thought about using a portable swamp cooler?
Being in the desert with low humidity.
It would be less of an electric draw while effectively cooling and humidifying.

Think of it as an air to water intercooler.
Yes I have considered swamp cooling. Especially since it will help humidify the space.

madscrapper

madscrapper

ya thats pretty much what I thought. And I do run lights on in the evening, but to no avail as in the dead of summer here even at 3am the temps are still triple digits
Yeah man,,I live in the north east,,much cooler then the south west.but I'm moving to Az this June.so I'll have to cross this road myself

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Once temps get above a hundred the swampers stop cooling drastically and that's when you need them the most just a heads up
@blazer it isnt so much that when the temps get up to a 100 deg swampers lose their effectiveness here in AZ due to the monsoon season when the Rh climbs thus it lowers the coolers efficiency due to excessive humidity.

I appreciate your looking out.

Top Bottom